Zhang Yimou in R2

Betamax and beyond

Zhang Yimou in R2

Postby judderman on Tue May 01, 2007 11:14 am

This is a pretty specific query, but it relates to a personal tragedy I suffered some time ago when a burglar broke into my house and stole my VCR, with my copy of "To Live", probably my favourite film of all time, still in it.

Nowadays it seems you can't replace a VCR without going to a pawn shop, so I'm not entirely sure what to think of my local DVD superstore when it tells me that one of the greatest films by one of the world's greatest directors isn't available on DVD.

Especially when it bloody well is. If you're a Yank. But if you're a Brit, forget it.

So. What to do? I suppose I could order the original off Amazon, but what I really want to see is the Master paid some respect. Screw Hero. I choose to believe that Zhang only made that totalitarian love-letter at government knifepoint. I want to see a collection of all the early Zhang: Red Sorghum, Raise the Red Lantern, Ju Dou, The Story of Qiu Ju, To Live, Shanghai Triad. That would be a collection I would pay $100 for.
judderman
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby magicmonkey on Tue May 01, 2007 12:24 pm

Heh, and I have it, think I payed about $4 for it. :P

I too miss the Yimou of old. Not seen "Hero" yet, but I did enjoy the heck out of "Curse of the Golden Flower". You also forgot to give a shoutout to "Not one Less", another fine, social realist Yimou, quite divorced from the lavish historical epics he now embarks upon... but hey, you really can't blame him, he has a heck of a lot at his disposal and a rabid western audience all too ready to lap it up too.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Theta on Tue May 01, 2007 1:37 pm

Despite the overwhelming lameness of his recent output (what IS it about directors that attract them to costume epics as they get older?), I still feel your pain, judder.

It's not out in R2 AT ALL? I know that sometimes here in the US, R1 movies will come out in Canada or (rarely) Mexico but not in the US.
This comment is in no way meant to insist your opinion is wrong or be considered an edict, solely this poster's opinion. That said, you are still a fool and will kneel before me in supplication.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Return to DVD / Blu-ray