Today's One Hell Of A DVD Day (In America)

Betamax and beyond

Which One Is Your Priority Purchase?

THE FOUNTAIN
19%
PAN'S LABYRINTH 2-Disc
58%
BECKET
8%
ARMY OF SHADOWS Criterion
12%
COACH: Season 2 (you Craig T. Nelson lover)
4%

Total votes : 26

Today's One Hell Of A DVD Day (In America)

Postby Nordling on Mon May 14, 2007 2:02 pm

THE FOUNTAIN.
PAN'S LABYRINTH 2-Disc.
BECKET.
ARMY OF SHADOWS Criterion.

Give me money.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby Ribbons on Mon May 14, 2007 2:05 pm

KONG!
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Mon May 14, 2007 2:06 pm

Priority Rental: The Fountain, because I haven't seen it yet. :oops:

Priority Purchase: Pan
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby TheBaxter on Mon May 14, 2007 2:15 pm

priority rental (because i don't buy DVDs very much) - it's kind of a tossup between fountain and pan's but in the end i voted for pan's. i haven't seen either yet.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby minstrel on Mon May 14, 2007 2:17 pm

Hmm. I can't say I'm really interested in any of them. Maybe Pan, eventually. Also Becket. But I'm not ordering anything today, I think.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Nordling on Mon May 14, 2007 2:22 pm

I understand how THE FOUNTAIN is a love it or hate it kind of film... but trust me, you'll wind up buying PAN'S.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Mon May 14, 2007 2:26 pm

Nordling wrote:I understand how THE FOUNTAIN is a love it or hate it kind of film... but trust me, you'll wind up buying PAN'S.

Seconded. It's one of those films you just will want to own...at least I did immediately after watching it in the theater. And I really don't buy that many dvds either...
Lord Voldemoo

Re: Tomorrow's One Hell Of A DVD Day (In America)

Postby Theta on Mon May 14, 2007 2:43 pm

Nordling wrote:THE FOUNTAIN.
PAN'S LABYRINTH 2-Disc.
BECKET.
ARMY OF SHADOWS Criterion.

Give me money.

"Fountain" and "Shadows" are going into my goody basket. Also most likely "Vengeance Is Mine".
This comment is in no way meant to insist your opinion is wrong or be considered an edict, solely this poster's opinion. That said, you are still a fool and will kneel before me in supplication.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby so sorry on Mon May 14, 2007 2:45 pm

Well, I buy way to many DVDs of movies that you jerks reccomend, so I'll be getting Pan's Lab for sure.

Army of Shadows is what?
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Nordling on Mon May 14, 2007 2:51 pm

Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby The Vicar on Mon May 14, 2007 3:02 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:
Nordling wrote:I understand how THE FOUNTAIN is a love it or hate it kind of film... but trust me, you'll wind up buying PAN'S.

Seconded. It's one of those films you just will want to own...at least I did immediately after watching it in the theater. And I really don't buy that many dvds either...

An incredible film, although the unrelenting brutuality is tough on some viewers. Full props to Del Toro for NOT pulling his punches.
A must own.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby Lady Sheridan on Mon May 14, 2007 3:05 pm

I'm definitely buying The Fountain. As luck would have it, I've got a Best Buy credit I can use it on, huzzah!

My sister will probably end up buying Pan's, so I'll have two awesome films without spending one damn cent. :D
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby Nachokoolaid on Mon May 14, 2007 3:26 pm

I'm getting both THE FOUNTAIN and PAN'S. I can't wait until the weekend when I'll have time to check them out.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby so sorry on Mon May 14, 2007 3:31 pm

FYI Best Buy is having a sspecial on these.. if you buy both you get five bucks off..
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Fried Gold on Mon May 14, 2007 3:36 pm

I have the 2-disc Pan's Labyrinth. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

Far better than that silly Fountain film.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Todd on Mon May 14, 2007 3:44 pm

The Todd is camping out in front of Best Buy for Coach: Season Two (2-disc set)

FIRST, bitches!
i reject your reality and substitute my own
The Todd
AIRWOLF

Postby Theta on Mon May 14, 2007 4:09 pm

Fried Gold wrote:I have the 2-disc Pan's Labyrinth. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

Far better than that silly Fountain film.

Kinda apples and oranges; they're aiming for different things and different effects. "The Fountain" is a creation myth and "Pan's Labyrinth" is a fairy tale.

I'll heartily endorse "The Fountain"; it's not remotely conventional but it's an amazing film and everybody bagging on it now is going to change their tune by 2017. Honestly, "Pan's" is low down my list because I don't see myself watching it more than one more time until I have kids in their tweens.
This comment is in no way meant to insist your opinion is wrong or be considered an edict, solely this poster's opinion. That said, you are still a fool and will kneel before me in supplication.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby Nordling on Mon May 14, 2007 4:24 pm

Theta wrote:Kinda apples and oranges; they're aiming for different things and different effects. "The Fountain" is a creation myth and "Pan's Labyrinth" is a fairy tale.

I'll heartily endorse "The Fountain"; it's not remotely conventional but it's an amazing film and everybody bagging on it now is going to change their tune by 2017.

I agree. As I said before, I know THE FOUNTAIN is a love it or hate it kind of film, but what I didn't say is that I have no idea why that is. To me, the film was bursting at the seams with ideas and emotion and powerful moments. I saw it three times in the theater and each time I was profoundly moved. It's certainly not "silly" and that's dismissive.

I've lived with cancer in my life. I understand completely the sense of loss and powerlessness that someone like Tom has in the film because I've felt it. And at the same time, I've learned from that, unlike Tom in the film. THE FOUNTAIN is a piece of art attempting to bring comfort and understanding to people who question why the universe can be so cruel as to take a loved one away from them. I don't really believe in God, but I feel something larger than myself in THE FOUNTAIN. As far as I'm concerned, it's the best film so far this decade.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon May 14, 2007 4:51 pm

Im picking up Army of Shadows. Army of Shadows is just simply brilliant and it's a criterion! I will wait on Pans and Fountain as the bigger editions will be out eventually.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Mon May 14, 2007 5:41 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:Im picking up Army of Shadows. Army of Shadows is just simply brilliant and it's a criterion!

co-sign.

Del Toro + Aronofsky < Melville.
Last edited by Keepcoolbutcare on Tue May 15, 2007 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Nordling on Tue May 15, 2007 2:19 pm

Mori got a shout out on THE FOUNTAIN's cover jacket!

"Not many films can blow your mind and break your heart at the same time, but this one will" (Drew McWeeny, Ain't It Cool News)

Whoo hoo!
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Tue May 15, 2007 2:21 pm

HEY!!!!! Very cool.

It'd be sweet if it really said "Grande Rojo's Favorite Person McWeeny"
Lord Voldemoo

Postby Nordling on Tue May 15, 2007 2:41 pm

Heh, you pesky filter!
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby Theta on Tue May 15, 2007 3:05 pm

Nordling wrote:Mori got a shout out on THE FOUNTAIN's cover jacket!

"Not many films can blow your mind and break your heart at the same time, but this one will" (Grande Rojo's favorite person McWeeny, Ain't It Cool News)

Whoo hoo!

I kind of love how AICN's gone from bastard stepchild to legitimate news outlet in the space of, like, five years. If you stay around long enough, they have to accept you!
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby Lady Sheridan on Tue May 15, 2007 5:37 pm

It makes the movie even more of a must have. :D

When I lend it to my bosses, I'll be sure to point it out. "See, I'm not just making AICN up, it's right here!"
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby The Todd on Tue May 15, 2007 5:45 pm

The Todd just got done watching disc 1 of Coach: Season Two.

I laughed the loudest during the episode where Dauber and Luther did something stupid and Coach yelled at them!

CRAIG T. NELSON-FIVE!!!!!
The Todd
AIRWOLF

Postby Nordling on Tue May 15, 2007 5:51 pm

I can't believe no one else wants to pick up BECKET. At least rent the sucker, it's a fantastic film with some of the best dialogue ever on screen.

That's okay, I'm sitting here with PAN'S, BECKET, and THE FOUNTAIN, and Jerry Falwell is dead, and later I'm gonna have ice cream. That's pretty much the definition of a good day. Well, that and maybe sex later.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby TheBaxter on Tue May 15, 2007 5:52 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:HEY!!!!! Very cool.

It'd be sweet if it really said "Grande Rojo's Favorite Person McWeeny"

it would be even sweeter if it said "Grande Rojo's Favorite McWeeny"
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Lady Sheridan on Tue May 15, 2007 6:13 pm

Nordling wrote:I can't believe no one else wants to pick up BECKET. At least rent the sucker, it's a fantastic film with some of the best dialogue ever on screen.

That's okay, I'm sitting here with PAN'S, BECKET, and THE FOUNTAIN, and Jerry Falwell is dead, and later I'm gonna have ice cream. That's pretty much the definition of a good day. Well, that and maybe sex later.

I've seen it, it is excellent. The new DVD release is quite tempting but I'm not sure I'll watch it enough to justify the cost...though I do love me some Burton and O'Toole. It's one of those movies I find rather exhausting to watch, can't really explain why.

Come to think of it, I'd like to see it on the big screen. *coughBNAT9hintcough*
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue May 15, 2007 7:00 pm

Nordling wrote:Jerry Falwell is dead, and later I'm gonna have ice cream. That's pretty much the definition of a good day. Well, that and maybe sex later.

eating the ice cream while skull fucking Fatwell's corpse?

priceless.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Brocktune on Tue May 15, 2007 7:14 pm

if anyone picked anything off this list, before "BECKET", you should be boiled in oil.

fucking philistines.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Tue May 15, 2007 7:15 pm

Brocktune wrote:
fucking philistines.

when's that motorcycle movie with Travolta and the dad from Home Improvement coming out?

*rubs hands together, in anticipation*
Lord Voldemoo

Postby Lady Sheridan on Tue May 15, 2007 7:42 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:
Brocktune wrote:
fucking philistines.

when's that motorcycle movie with Travolta and the dad from Home Improvement coming out?

*rubs hands together, in anticipation*

That's still on the big screens, cow-man, knock yourself out. ;)

I can't hold my head up now that I bought The Fountain over Beckett, way to bring the hurt, Brocktune. :cry:
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby Brocktune on Tue May 15, 2007 7:46 pm

m'lady, thou hath brought shame and chagrin upon the goode name of windsor.

i hope you like how boldly i display my lack of knowledge regarding the history of ye olde englishe monarchy, by assuming Henry II's last name to be windsor.

wouldn't it actually be Rex? :? :wink:
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Todd on Tue May 15, 2007 7:46 pm

Brocktune wrote:if anyone picked anything off this list, before "BECKET", you should be boiled in oil.

fucking philistines.

Wasn't Becket the tv show that Ted Danson did after Cheers?

The Todd
AIRWOLF

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue May 15, 2007 7:47 pm

Brocktune wrote:if anyone picked anything off this list, before "BECKET", you should be boiled in oil.

fucking philistines.

Jean-Pierre Grumbach takes a back seat to no one...

NO ONE!

and unlike that h@ck Moby, he's not related to Herman, just changed his name in Melville's honor.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Theta on Tue May 15, 2007 8:22 pm

fucking philistines.

Sorry, man, but Melville turns my crank more and I have, tragically, limited cash at the moment.

Maybe next week, along with Bond and the one true Scarface.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby Lady Sheridan on Tue May 15, 2007 9:31 pm

Brocktune wrote:m'lady, thou hath brought shame and chagrin upon the goode name of windsor.

i hope you like how boldly i display my lack of knowledge regarding the history of ye olde englishe monarchy, by assuming Henry II's last name to be windsor.

wouldn't it actually be Rex? :? :wink:

I have no excuse for not owning it--I have Lion in Winter, I should have the prequel.

Henry's last name was Angevin. Descended of those Norman upstarts that overthrew my proud Anglo-Saxon people. Bah!

Let us call truce!
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby Theta on Tue May 15, 2007 9:56 pm

Hey, I've been hearing rumors that "The Fountain"'s transfer is crap. True?
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby Lady Sheridan on Wed May 16, 2007 3:36 am

Nordling will know! I didn't get to watch my copy today. I wouldn't be surprised, they didn't even bother to include the paper insert with the scene list. Fuckers.
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby silentbobafett on Wed May 16, 2007 3:52 am

Well.... The Fountain was perhaps my fave film of last year. But I won't be buying it due to the lack of extras. I'm not paying that amount of money, for a film that deserves a better release. Fuck this greedy gentlemen.

Pan's has abeautiful Asian 2 disc set which is done in like an old book. Thats mine.

And the others got over shadowed when I realised that the real move release date of the year is:

11/06/2007

Hot Fuzz.... which I will be bying cos its completly rammed packed with extras. INculding Edgar Wrights first cop film (4o mins long) which also has commentaries and making ofs.

NOW thats how you do a first release of a DVD! :-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby Theta on Wed May 16, 2007 9:26 am

silentbobafett wrote:Well.... The Fountain was perhaps my fave film of last year. But I won't be buying it due to the lack of extras.

I don't think we're getting another release, man. Warners lost a fortune on this one and apparently they just want to get shot of it.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby Lady Sheridan on Wed May 16, 2007 6:05 pm

We might get a nice Criterion re-release in 10 years. We're lucky we got a DVD at all, judging from Aronofsky's blog on MySpace.

Frankly, everyone who liked it even slightly should buy a copy to at least tell Warner Bros there's a demand for a proper release.
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Wed May 16, 2007 7:39 pm

Lady Sheridan wrote:Frankly, everyone who liked it even slightly should buy a copy to at least tell Warner Bros there's a demand for a proper release.

tell you what, since I "slightly" liked it...

if Darren gives me a crack at getting into Rachel's crack, then it's a deal.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lady Sheridan on Wed May 16, 2007 8:05 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
Lady Sheridan wrote:Frankly, everyone who liked it even slightly should buy a copy to at least tell Warner Bros there's a demand for a proper release.

tell you what, since I "slightly" liked it...

if Darren gives me a crack at getting into Rachel's crack, then it's a deal.

I'll go leave a comment on his MySpace page...we're super close.
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Wed May 16, 2007 8:06 pm

Lady Sheridan wrote:I'll go leave a comment on his MySpace page...we're super close.

can you leave me a comment as well?

so.

lonely.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby so sorry on Wed May 16, 2007 8:08 pm

Theta wrote:
silentbobafett wrote:Well... . The Fountain was perhaps my fave film of last year. But I won't be buying it due to the lack of extras.

I don't think we're getting another release, man. Warners lost a fortune on this one and apparently they just want to get shot of it.

well if that's the case, then I guess I can pick it up in a few months when its in the 9.99 section. I can probably say conservatively that 30-40 of my DVDs could have been bought for up to ten dollars cheaper had I waited a few months...
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Lady Sheridan on Wed May 16, 2007 8:13 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
Lady Sheridan wrote:I'll go leave a comment on his MySpace page...we're super close.

can you leave me a comment as well?

so.

lonely.

Done and done. 8)
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Wed May 16, 2007 8:14 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
so.

lonely.

Lord Voldemoo

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Wed May 16, 2007 8:18 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:Image

hmmm...big tender chunks of beef.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Next

Return to DVD / Blu-ray