Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman

Betamax and beyond

Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman

Postby Maui on Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:48 pm

I know...I know....but this show was seriously off the map. It's on DVD. This was a Norman Lear gem. Parodying soap operas, similar to the show SOAP, but just a tad bit weirder.

Maui
WoWie

Postby TonyWilson on Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:49 pm

That isn't Phil Hartman's wife is it?
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby Cha-Ka Khan on Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:34 pm

Wow! Talk about your blasts from the past.

Nice pick, Maui!
Cha-Ka Khan
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby DennisMM on Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:36 pm

Couldn't watch it for the same reason I couldn't watch real soaps: I wasn't willing to tune in day after day to keep up with what was happening. All soaps need a Saturday recap show.

TonyWilson wrote:That isn't Phil Hartman's wife is it?

No, Woody Allen's. :shock:
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby RaulMonkey on Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:39 pm

I tried watching this show once, but Mary Hartman's voice gave me a seizure.
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:46 pm

weird, I'd never even heard of this show. I liked SOAP though so maybe I should check it out.

By the way, sorry for the threadjack, but when I saw the title of this thread I remembered a quote from some relatively recent movie in which the actor screamed "MARY HARTMAN MARY HARTMAN!!!" in a panic. I want to say it was Steve Carrell or will Ferrell or something. Ring any bells for anyone? it's bugging me now.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby DennisMM on Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:49 pm

Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman! didn't have traditional opening credits and no theme song if I recall. Instead, each episode opened with the sound of Mary's mother calling out her daughter's name. The movie, I dunno.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Maui on Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:02 pm

DennisMM wrote:Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman! didn't have traditional opening credits and no theme song if I recall. Instead, each episode opened with the sound of Mary's mother calling out her daughter's name. The movie, I dunno.

Yeah, that's how they did the opening of each show. I dunno what Mary Hartman Mary Hartman is doing now for work, but another star of that show, Mary Kay Place did move onto another whacky family show, Big Love.
Maui
WoWie

Postby The Garbage Man on Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:50 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:By the way, sorry for the threadjack, but when I saw the title of this thread I remembered a quote from some relatively recent movie in which the actor screamed "MARY HARTMAN MARY HARTMAN!!!" in a panic. I want to say it was Steve Carrell or will Ferrell or something. Ring any bells for anyone? it's bugging me now.

Dammit, this is bugging me now too. I know I've seen this recently...
It wasn't during the waxing scene in The 40-Year Old Virgin, was it?
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:52 pm

The Garbage Man wrote:
Lord Voldemoo wrote:By the way, sorry for the threadjack, but when I saw the title of this thread I remembered a quote from some relatively recent movie in which the actor screamed "MARY HARTMAN MARY HARTMAN!!!" in a panic. I want to say it was Steve Carrell or will Ferrell or something. Ring any bells for anyone? it's bugging me now.

heh, sorry. I wanna say it was 40 year old virgin, but I dunno.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby havocSchultz on Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:55 pm

The Garbage Man wrote:

That was Kelly Clarkson...

And what's with all this Mary Hartman love!?!?!

I fucking hate Entertainment Tonight...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Leckomaniac on Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:01 am

Well the episode of Seinfeld was just on where Mary Hartman's voice gives Kramer seizures. Could that be it?
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Garbage Man on Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:47 am

That's Mary Hart, not Mary Hartman.
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby Leckomaniac on Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:54 am

The Garbage Man wrote:That's Mary Hart, not Mary Hartman.

I am going to go right ahead and blame this one on the pain medication. Don't question it.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Garbage Man on Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:07 am

Don't worry about it, I was thinking of the same scene at first and I've no drugs to blame it on.
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby Maui on Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:48 pm

havocSchultz wrote:
The Garbage Man wrote:

You know about 15 years ago ET was sorta worth watching. Now it is just crap. I haven't watched it in a very long time. They dedicated an entire week to Anna Nicole, etc. - that's what the show has become. It used to be a somewhat intelligent show about TV shows, movies and the celebrities that starred in them. sigh
Maui
WoWie

Postby havocSchultz on Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:16 pm

Maui wrote:
havocSchultz wrote:
The Garbage Man wrote:

You know about 15 years ago ET was sorta worth watching. Now it is just crap. I haven't watched it in a very long time. They dedicated an entire week to Anna Nicole, etc. - that's what the show has become. It used to be a somewhat intelligent show about TV shows, movies and the celebrities that starred in them. sigh

I miss John Tesh, John Tesh...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Maui on Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:52 pm

havocSchultz wrote:
Maui wrote:
havocSchultz wrote:
The Garbage Man wrote:

I miss John Tesh, John Tesh...

I think he's doing the Yanni thing now. Performing at ampitheatres across the states with a perma grin on his face!
Maui
WoWie

Return to DVD / Blu-ray