PopMatters Picks: The 50 DVDs Every Film Fan Should Own

Betamax and beyond

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:28 am

The list. Sad, sad me only has five of them. At long last I have a goal for my compulsive DVD purchasing.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Nachokoolaid on Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:38 am

I've got 14 of those 50. Not bad. I think I had nine of the first ten it mentioned, and then sort of had one every so often after that.

Odd not to see Casablanca or Gone With the Wind or something. Those best of lists usually love putting those in there.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby DennisMM on Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:28 am

That is an extremely silly list. Sweet Sweetback, yes. Dolemite, no. I have four.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby minstrel on Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:04 am

I've never heard of a lot of this stuff. I have about seven of them.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Fievel on Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:42 am

I have 12.

Pretty shitty list, in my opinion.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby DennisMM on Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:15 am

It seemed designed to include fringe material regardless of importance or quality. It's one thing to recommend a Kenneth Anger boxed set, another to push some of the exploitation stuff they did.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM

Postby Leckomaniac on Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:20 am

DennisMM wrote:It seemed designed to include fringe material regardless of importance or quality. It's one thing to recommend a Kenneth Anger boxed set, another to push some of the exploitation stuff they did.

Yeah that is where the list really fell apart for me. A lot of their 70's choices were just a bit...off. Still, I like that they did their best to defend their choices. And reading about some of the early stuff reminded me I need to search out some of those titles for the next rainy day.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:36 am

I have to say that I really wish I'd seen the edition of Battle Royale they mention, as the version I got from Netflix was pretty bare-bones. The film didn't do much for me, but the extras they mention sound as if they might have lent some weight to the thing.
DennisMM

Postby Seppuku on Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:40 am

The inclusion of Sweet Sweetback's Badaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasss Song immediately alleviates any qualms I might have had with the inclusion of movies like The Invasion of the Body Snatchers (remake).
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby DennisMM on Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:56 am

But what about the Doris Wishman and Andy Milligan sets?
DennisMM

Postby bastard_robo on Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:57 am

I own all but one in the last artical..
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Tubbs Tattsyrup on Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:47 am

Own 13 of them; seen 25 of them. Kinda pathetic on my part, really.
On YouTube or Vimeo.
Tubbs Tattsyrup
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby Theta on Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:51 am

List 1: I like how everything from the beginning of cinema until the 1960s is crammed into one list. Bonus points for not sticking entirely to America, but the total lack of Chaplin, Keaton, Murnau, Pabst, Lang, Welles, Hawks, Ford, or even "King Kong" (not to mention burning them all to include Sirk's worst movie) is a real markdown.

List 2: Why include any influential movies when we could just list our favorite cult flicks? Jodorowsky is interesting, but he's pretty far down the "need-to-own" list. Ditto Russ Meyer, as fun as he is, and "Petulia". As much as I hate his later work, what about Fellini? Or the French New Wave? What about Hal Ashby?

List 3: So NOTLD doesn't make the list, but "Dawn" does? And what the fuck is "Dolemite" doing on there? There are far better blaxploitation films.

List 4: Mostly a good list, although what Kaufman's "I'm OK, You're OK" version of "Body Snatchers" is doing on there, I have no idea. And why nominate a documentary about Herzog when you could go straight to the source?

List 5: Well, glad they included "The Incredibles", but most of this list seems more like a college student's "Man, these movies are totally AWESOME!" list than actual, sensible recommendations of the last ten years or so (which isn't to slag "Memento", LOTR, or "Lebowski", as they're all great movies...I'm bagging the selection process, not the selections.)

And where's "The Fountain", dammit?!

Overall: It's pretty obvious the overall selection criteria, with the exception of the first list, was "How awesome is this movie to watch when you get smoked up?" and a few obvious choices tossed in to maintain the list's film credibility. I'm all for cult and "psychotronic" movies, and I've seen/own a good chunk of this list (maybe 35 out of 50), but they're not the only movies out there.
This comment is in no way meant to insist your opinion is wrong or be considered an edict, solely this poster's opinion. That said, you are still a fool and will kneel before me in supplication.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby Chilli on Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:53 am

11. Cool.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby Fried Gold on Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:06 pm

Theta wrote:List 1: I like how everything from the beginning of cinema until the 1960s is crammed into one list. Bonus points for not sticking entirely to America, but the total lack of Chaplin, Keaton, Murnau, Pabst, Lang, Welles, Hawks, Ford, or even "King Kong" (not to mention burning them all to include Sirk's worst movie) is a real markdown.

List 2: Why include any influential movies when we could just list our favorite cult flicks? Jodorowsky is interesting, but he's pretty far down the "need-to-own" list. Ditto Russ Meyer, as fun as he is, and "Petulia". As much as I hate his later work, what about Fellini? Or the French New Wave? What about Hal Ashby?

List 3: So NOTLD doesn't make the list, but "Dawn" does? And what the fuck is "Dolemite" doing on there? There are far better blaxploitation films.

List 4: Mostly a good list, although what Kaufman's "I'm OK, You're OK" version of "Body Snatchers" is doing on there, I have no idea. And why nominate a documentary about Herzog when you could go straight to the source?

List 5: Well, glad they included "The Incredibles", but most of this list seems more like a college student's "Man, these movies are totally AWESOME!" list than actual, sensible recommendations of the last ten years or so (which isn't to slag "Memento", LOTR, or "Lebowski", as they're all great movies...I'm bagging the selection process, not the selections.)

And where's "The Fountain", dammit?!

Overall: It's pretty obvious the overall selection criteria, with the exception of the first list, was "How awesome is this movie to watch when you get smoked up?" and a few obvious choices tossed in to maintain the list's film credibility. I'm all for cult and "psychotronic" movies, and I've seen/own a good chunk of this list (maybe 35 out of 50), but they're not the only movies out there.

Apart from the bit about The Fountain, I agree with you. It's more a "DVDs some guy thinks are hip to own".
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby PF Moon Deux on Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:06 pm

I own SUPERFLY. I don't own SWEET SWEETBACK. Meh.

XXIV (FYI)
PF Moon Deux

Postby monorail77 on Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:39 pm

Shitty list. I have 24 of the titles, but then, I'm a packrat.
"All we have is language; that's the one tool that enables us to grasp hold of our lives and transcend our fate by understanding it."
-Harlan Ellison

monorail77
AIRWOLF

Return to DVD / Blu-ray