TRICK 'r TREAT (Spoilers)

Betamax and beyond

TRICK 'r TREAT (Spoilers)

Postby Fawst on Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:28 pm

Moriarty put a link up for Trick'r'treat on the main site. The actual trailer itself can be found here.

Anyone watched this yet? I think this movie is going to be all kinds of good scary fun. It has an unmistakable vibe to it, very reminiscent of The Lady In White, or some episodes of Tales From The Crypt. That almost floaty/surreal feeling.

I posted in the TB about it. I left the trailer on my computer before I left for work, not really thinking about it. My fiancee sent me a text message a couple hours later saying "Thanks for scaring the shit out of me with that trailer you left up!" or something like that.

Anyone know anything more about this one? I have my own theory about what the "mystery" of the movie is (not that there is a specifically implied mystery), which I put in the TB, but this is the first I've heard of this one. The trailer has some spoilerish imagery, so be warned.
Prince of the Land of Stench!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:36 pm

The trailer was pretty sweet.

I liked the old PSA that started the trailer definitely gave it a specific mood.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Fawst on Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:48 pm

That was a great opening. I loved the blend to connect it to the film footage of Anna, that was sweet.

I can't believe it, despite all of the remakes and retreads we have been getting lately, there are actually QUALITY (at least on the surface) films coming out in different genres. Knocked Up is the first good comedy I've seen in years. The Fountain and Sunshine look like two of the best sci-fi movies in a very long time (Fountain is one of my favorites ever, so...), and now we have this and 30 Days of Night.
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:49 pm

Fawst wrote:That was a great opening. I loved the blend to connect it to the film footage of Anna, that was sweet.

I can't believe it, despite all of the remakes and retreads we have been getting lately, there are actually QUALITY (at least on the surface) films coming out in different genres. Knocked Up is the first good comedy I've seen in years. The Fountain and Sunshine look like two of the best sci-fi movies in a very long time (Fountain is one of my favorites ever, so...), and now we have this and 30 Days of Night.

Fountain yes sunshine on the not so much page.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:29 pm

FOUND IT!

Reposted from another thread:

I couldn't find a "Trick 'R Treat" thread, even though I was sure we had one, but anywho:

WB Drops Trick 'R Treat Entirely! A theatrical release is questionable at this point.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:03 pm

Unfortunately, the trailer is long gone. Go rent 300 to see it again.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Fawst on Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:53 pm

Oh fuck me! What the hell is wrong with them!? No balls to release an original (read: non-remade) horror movie? Fuck off, WB.
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:59 pm

what's more perplexing is that, for the most part, the BNATters who saw the film were enthusiastic about it.

Brian Cox, Dylan Baker, Anna Paquin, Helo...not a bad cast.

what the article mean when it said "between Valkyrie's dumping"? I haven't been reading the VALKYRIE thread, but did the WB axe it or something?
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:02 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:what the article mean when it said "between Valkyrie's dumping"? I haven't been reading the VALKYRIE thread, but did the WB axe it or something?

They might mean a more metaphorical dumping, since it started out as a summer blockbuster that got moved to October that got moved to the doldrums of early February. But unless something new happened, I think the status of the movie hasn't changed.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:07 pm

oic.

and to stay off topic, love that avatar Ribbons.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:15 pm

I like it too, which is why I stole it from buster... :oops:
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Re: TRICK'R'TREAT (Spoilers)

Postby TheButcher on Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:46 pm

Mike Dougherty
TRICK ‘r TREAT Opening Night Film at Screamfest Horror Film Festival on October 10th

Michael Dougherty's "TRICK 'r TREAT" Opening Night Film at the Screamfest Horror Film Festival on October 10th

Beverly Hills, CA (September 16, 2008) – Rachel Belofsky, founder of the annual Screamfest Horror Film Festival, is pleased to announce that Michael Dougherty's TRICK 'r TREAT will be the Opening Night film at Screamfest in the prestigious Grauman's Theatre on October 10th. A Q&A with cast and crew will follow the screening.

TRICK 'r TREAT was written and directed by Michael Dougherty and produced by Bryan Singer, Alex Garcia and Dan Harris. This will be Michael Dougherty's return to Screamfest as he won Best Animated Short in 2003 for his short DEADTIME STORIES.

The 8th annual festival will be held October 10th-19th at the Mann Chinese Theaters in Hollywood, California. This will be the first public showing of the film. The film stars Anna Paquin, Dylan Baker, Leslie Bibb, Tahmoh Penikett, Lauren Lee Smith, and Brian Cox.

"We are extremely excited to open the festival with Michael Dougherty's film," says founder Rachel Belofsky, "horror fans are going to love it." "It is one of the best horror comedies I have ever seen."

ABOUT SCREAMFEST
The Screamfest Horror Film Festival is the largest horror film festival in the United States. Some of the top-rated horror online publications have called it the "Sundance of Horror." The festival has hosted many famous filmmakers as guests, including Sam Raimi, Wes Craven, Sean Cunningham, Clive Barker, Eli Roth, James Wan, Zack Snyder, Stan Winston, and John Landis.

For more information please call the Screamfest Horror Film Festival at 310-358-3273 or visit http://www.screamfestla.com to order tickets.

Screamfest is a non-profit organization dedicated to furthering the careers of talented directors and writers within the genre.

FANGORIA will host a free screening of the anthology horror flick TRICK 'R TREAT at New York City's Two Boots Pioneer Theater on Monday, October 13 at 7 p.m., marking the film's East Coast premiere and a rare opportunity to see this eagerly awaited movie on the big screen. The film's writer/director, Michael (X-MEN 2) Doughtery, will introduce the film and take part in a Q&A. The film stars Anna (TRUE BLOOD) Paquin, Brian (MANHUNTER) Cox, Dylan (FIDO) Baker and Leslie (MIDNIGHT MEAT TRAIN) Bibb.

The Fango/Pioneer TRICK 'R TREAT screening will be a free show;to obtain tickets, send an e-mail to fangoscreening@starloggroup.com. You must list "TRICK 'R TREAT" as your subject line. Offer is good for you and one guest; plus, tell us your full name and whether you want to be added to the FANGORIA newsletter list so we can tell you about future Fango screenings and events. Names will be checked at the door. Offer is first come, first served, and we will confirm your RSVP. This advance preview is sponsored by Legendary Pictures.

TRICK 'R TREAT has been on horror fans' must-see list ever since it was originally announced as a 2007 Halloween debut (its current release status is undetermined). Advance reviews have been ecstatic. Fangoria.com's Matt Kiernan caught an advance preview late last year in Austin, TX and praised: "TRICK 'R TREAT is, first and foremost, an entertainment and nothing more—an unpretentious, light-hearted (but never cutesy) and blackly comic movie." See his full review here, and read our interview with actress Paquin in FANGORIA 277, on sale next month.

So mark your calendar for Fango's free 35mm showing of TRICK 'R TREAT on October 13. Meanwhile, check out the TRICK 'R TREAT trailer here.

—Tony Timpone

source
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:39 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Fawst on Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:00 pm

Fucking wow.

I cannot believe the epic fail of this news. Pretty much every single horror movie released in the past two years has looked like gutter trash. This is the ONLY ONE that I cared about seeing. The ONLY ONE. And I'm not even a huge horror fan! Can you imagine how many general fans of film would be into seeing this, on top of the horror fiends who see EVERYTHING?

Idiots. Absolute idiots.

At least we'll finally get to see it.

At least they're putting it out on Blu-Ray.
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheButcher on Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:58 pm

From FANGORIA: *UPDATED AGAIN* WOH EXCLUSIVE: TRICK 'R TREAT coming to DVD & Blu-ray & going on the road!

First up, the long-awaited film will arrive on DVD and Blu-ray THIS OCTOBER! The exact date is still being determined, but you will finally be able to see and own the film in time for HALLOWEEN 2009!

Secondly, much like the recent REPO ROADSHOW promoting REPO! THE GENETIC OPERA, the filmmakers are taking TRICK 'R TREAT on the road from July through October!

Early cities confirmed so far:

* FANTASIA FILM FESTIVAL, Montreal, Canada July 9-27
* TORONTO AFTER DARK, Toronto, Canada August 14-21
* MORBIDO FEST, Mexico City, Mexico (MySpace)
* FANTASY FILM FESTIVAL - Berlin, Hamburg, Koln, Frankfurt, Nuremberg, Stuggart, and Munich Germany - August 18-September 9, 2009
* FANTASTIC FEST, Austin Texas, September 24-October 1
* SCREAMFEST, Los Angeles, California - October 16-25
* London, UK
* And "a certain event in July in San Diego that we can't name for some reason."
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

The Movie Trailers 'R' Us Thread

Postby papalazeru on Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:06 pm

Well, it's on the main board now. Been watching this for a while now,

9 minutes of Trick R Treat

I like it. Lots.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Ribbons on Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:34 pm

Thanks papa. Looks pretty good; I definitely plan on watching this come Halloween
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby papalazeru on Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:00 am

Ribbons wrote:Thanks papa. Looks pretty good; I definitely plan on watching this come Halloween

It's all very 'Chuckie'. Not ludicrous Chuckie like the later films but very tongue in cheek humo-horror
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Ribbons on Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:26 pm

Sticky'd!!!

Now that this is out on DVD, I figure it's the first time most of us Zoners will have gotten a chance to see it. I just received a copy via Netflix; figure I'll wait until it's a little closer to Halloween to watch though.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby DerLanghaarige on Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:54 pm

I just saw it. It was the first and definitely the last time that I use Video On Demand (I payed more than twice as much as I would if I would just rent the DVD for one day, could only watch it with the German dubbing and was blocked from recording it), but the movie was very entertaining.
Okay, showing the different episodes "out of order" and connecting them by showing scenes from different points of view and letting characters from one episode appear more or less visible within another wasn't already the newest trick when Pulp Fiction did it, but it works pretty good here. It's used effective for a few nice surprises (Like the identity of the "Vampire").
All in all the movie is very well acted, directed and written. It's really what the Tales From The Crypt movies should have been. While I don't think it's something to call "The best movie of its kind since ______________", it's (very dark) fun to watch and I can easily see it becoming a holiday classic over the next few years.
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby tfactor on Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:37 pm

We just watched this also last night, the part I liked best about this movie was actually non-visual. The sound effects coming from the pit/quary from the kids, when the one girl escaped from "the bus" children - that was Uber Creapy and very very dark!Thats sort of a spoiler so I'll mark it as such just in case ...

Anyway I'm not sure how many children were injured in the making of this movie but if I had to guess - I would say "a lot!" it sounds awesomely brutal and the story was enjoyable enough with some solid twists.

Other than that one scene, I wasn't super impressed and yet still I was pleased. Then again its a Halloween movie. But unlike the great pumpkin charlie brown - I can't see this repeating on ABC annually in recognition of the holiday.

Still it was worth checking out if you like this sort of thing. :twisted:
tfactor
KING SMARMY

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:02 pm

i saw this last week and didn't particularly care for it. some of that might have been that i was a bit thrown by what it was doing, what i'd read about it and the comparisons i'd heard led me to believe i was going to be getting something more along the lines of a creepshow or a TftDS or a twilight zone - an anthology of 4 or 5 separate but complete stories, not the pulp-fiction-esque interweaving of stories. so maybe my expectations influenced me, but by the time i saw what they were doing, it still didn't do much for me. i think a large part of that is that the individual stories just weren't that good on their own. the dylan baker story was just kind of silly; the anna paquin story was mostly irritating, til the predictable twist came at last (turning the little red riding hood story on it's ear -- no, THAT'S never been done before; the brian cox story was pretty much a total ripoff of a much better tales from the darkside episode (though the kid in the mask was kinda creepy and cool.... until he lost the mask; the kids in the quarry story was the best, not great, but ok; and as for the couple in the opening.... i must've missed something, i still don't understand what exactly happened or what the point of it was, except as a cheap shock to open the film.

so over all, not very impressed. i like the idea behind the film, it's kind of clever the way some of the stories intersect and tie together, but it needed better individual stories to get me interested and involved enough to care in the first place
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby magicmonkey on Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:16 pm

TheBaxter wrote:i saw this last week and didn't particularly care for it. some of that might have been that i was a bit thrown by what it was doing, what i'd read about it and the comparisons i'd heard led me to believe i was going to be getting something more along the lines of a creepshow or a TftDS or a twilight zone - an anthology of 4 or 5 separate but complete stories, not the pulp-fiction-esque interweaving of stories. so maybe my expectations influenced me, but by the time i saw what they were doing, it still didn't do much for me. i think a large part of that is that the individual stories just weren't that good on their own. the dylan baker story was just kind of silly; the anna paquin story was mostly irritating, til the predictable twist came at last (turning the little red riding hood story on it's ear -- no, THAT'S never been done before; the brian cox story was pretty much a total ripoff of a much better tales from the darkside episode (though the kid in the mask was kinda creepy and cool.... until he lost the mask; the kids in the quarry story was the best, not great, but ok; and as for the couple in the opening.... i must've missed something, i still don't understand what exactly happened or what the point of it was, except as a cheap shock to open the film.

so over all, not very impressed. i like the idea behind the film, it's kind of clever the way some of the stories intersect and tie together, but it needed better individual stories to get me interested and involved enough to care in the first place

I pretty much agree. It was fun, especially with its myriad of references, but it really was the weak sauce of the Simpsons treehouse of horror variety rather than a successor to the anthology films it liberally pastiched.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:07 am

oh, one other thing i forgot to mention... i thought the way it cut from story to story, instead of playing each story out in full, kind of killed the momentum. especially for the stories that have more buildup, like anna paquin's. instead of telling one story all at once, as soon as it would start to get interesting, wham, you're back to those fucking annoying girls and it kills whatever mood the film was building up to. the last story is the only one that's really told all in one go, and that was a problem.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby DerLanghaarige on Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:08 am

TheBaxter wrote: as for the couple in the opening.... i must've missed something, i still don't understand what exactly happened or what the point of it was, except as a cheap shock to open the film.

That and to introduce the idea of a killer who is after everyonewho doesn't celebrate Halloween right, so that they don't have to explain why he is after Brian Cox.
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:23 am

DerLanghaarige wrote:
TheBaxter wrote: as for the couple in the opening.... i must've missed something, i still don't understand what exactly happened or what the point of it was, except as a cheap shock to open the film.

That and to introduce the idea of a killer who is after everyonewho doesn't celebrate Halloween right, so that they don't have to explain why he is after Brian Cox.

that makes sense, though i didn't really pick that up from the film. i figured the killer was the pumpkin-headed kid who went after brian cox... but why did he kill the girl, but left brian cox alive? and i thought he went after brian cox becuase he was the bus driver who killed those kids... so yeah, i don't think the film really explained that well. either that or my interest had waned too much by that point.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby DerLanghaarige on Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:46 am

TheBaxter wrote:but why did he kill the girl, but left brian cox alive?

I gotta admit that took me a while to understand too, but I think since the pumpkin boy just left after he picked the candy bar from Cox's chest, the only way to keep him away from playing a "trick" on you, is to give him a "treat".
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby Pacino86845 on Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:48 pm

DerLanghaarige wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:but why did he kill the girl, but left brian cox alive?

I gotta admit that took me a while to understand too, but I think since the pumpkin boy just left after he picked the candy bar from Cox's chest, the only way to keep him away from playing a "trick" on you, is to give him a "treat".

Brian Cox wasn't "celebrating" Halloween, which is what attracted the little fucker to him in the first place... but then he gives the little fucker a chocolate bar, thereby acknowledging Halloween finally and subsequently it's clear that Cox learns his lesson.

The girl was already packing all the decorations up, putting out jack-o-lanterns before Halloween was over, that's why the little fucker kills her.

The movie wasn't great... it's cool enough to see a horror movie try for a different tone, but all the stories and characters rarely move beyond very very tired cliches (like mm said, it doesn't live up to the films it pays tribute to). Not awful, but nothing particularly interesting... except, as was already said, perhaps the quarry portion. Also the kid with the canvas bag wasn't even that menacing, it looked like the kid from The Orphanage and Scarecrow from Batman Begins, not really an inspired design nor was it ever used to frightening effect. Looked like a sideline Miyazaki ghost in Spirited Away, but even those were scarier than the little fucker of Trick 'r Treat (I don't know why I keep calling it the little fucker, but that's the best name I could come up with).

Little Fucker (TM).
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Ribbons on Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:51 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:Also the kid with the canvas bag wasn't even that menacing, it looked like the kid from The Orphanage and Scarecrow from Batman Begins, not really an inspired design nor was it ever used to frightening effect. Looked like a sideline Miyazaki ghost in Spirited Away, but even those were scarier than the little fucker of Trick 'r Treat (I don't know why I keep calling it the little fucker, but that's the best name I could come up with).

It's good to see he's still getting work though:

Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby RogueScribner on Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:55 pm

I agree with Pacino. The movie was okay, but it never rose above mildly interesting entertainment for me. It didn't really take any risks and, except for maybe the quarry sequence, it was never creepy or scary.

How in the hell did that kid's head end up in the basement anyway? Wasn't he making noise outside in the grave? All Dylan Baker brought back into the house was the shovel, right?

In the end it was semi-interesting, but I don't get all the praise heaped upon it. It's definitely not required Halloween viewing. I'd rather watch Drag Me to Hell.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby DerLanghaarige on Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:41 am

RogueScribner wrote:How in the hell did that kid's head end up in the basement anyway? Wasn't he making noise outside in the grave? All Dylan Baker brought back into the house was the shovel, right?

There was at least one more body in the hole and that was making the noises.
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby RogueScribner on Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:22 am

I guess I missed that part. Doesn't seem to smart of him to just be out and about with an open grave with a body in it, though.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Ribbons on Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:56 pm

When people refer to a movie that is dumb, boring and poorly made as a guilty pleasure it annoys me.

To me, this is the definition of a guilty pleasure: it has about as much substance as a Snickers bar, but it's fun, well-told and clever enough to surprise you more than a couple of times. Plus it's got the perfect blend of sex, gore, and Dylan Baker. Not to be watched at any time of the year but Halloween.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Re: TRICK 'r TREAT (Spoilers)

Postby TheButcher on Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:31 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Return to DVD / Blu-ray