Grindhouse, or how we, the fans, get screwed over again...

Betamax and beyond

Postby Bob Samonkey on Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:00 am

Zarles wrote:Not sure if I'll be getting PT or not. I've heard stories of them putting the missing reel back in, for chrissakes. Yeah, let's kill one of the best gags in the whole film for the sake of the dumbasses who didn't understand the film the first time around and won't be buying the DVD in the first fucking place.

DUMB.

It still has the missing reel gag....
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby RaulMonkey on Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:06 am

Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:
Zarles wrote:Not sure if I'll be getting PT or not. I've heard stories of them putting the missing reel back in, for chrissakes. Yeah, let's kill one of the best gags in the whole film for the sake of the dumbasses who didn't understand the film the first time around and won't be buying the DVD in the first fucking place.

DUMB.

It still has the missing reel gag....

Yeah, as Moriarty explained to Zarles in his 2007 List in Progress thread, RR and Co. never filmed the missing reel. I highly doubt it was even written.
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

6 Disc GrindHouse DVD

Postby sonnyboo on Tue Dec 25, 2007 10:44 am

6 Disc GrindHouse DVD

Disc 1: Death Proof (Extended Film)
-English DTS, English DD, Japanese dub
-Japanese subtitles
-Japanese Theatrical/TV trailers
-Staff/Cast Profiles (Text)
-What is Grindhouse? (Text)

Disc 2: Planet Terror (Extended Film)
-Japanese Subtitles
-Rodriguez commentary
-International/Japanese trailers

Disc 3: Death Proof bonus materials
-Special Message to Japan from Tarantino
-Staff and Cast interviews on Death Proof
-Stunts on Wheels: The Legendary Drivers of Death Proof (20:39)
-Introducing Zoë Bell (8:59)
-Kurt Russell as Stuntman Mike (9:34)
-Finding Quentin's Gals (21:14)
-The Uncut Version of "Baby, It's You" Performed by Mary Elizabeth Winstead (1:4Cool
-The Guys of Death Proof (8:16)
-Quentin's Greatest Collaborator: Editor Sally Menke (4:3Cool
-Double Dare Trailer (2:36)

Disc 4: Planet Terror bonus materials
-10-Minute Film School (11:52)
-The Badass Babes of Planet Terror (11:50)
-The Guys of Planet Terror (16:32)
-Casting Rebel (05:34)
-Sickos, Bullets and Explosions: The Stuns of Planet Terror (13:1Cool
-The Friend, The Doctor and The Real Estate Agent (6:42)

Disc 5: Grindhouse (191 minute theatrical cut)
-English DD, Japanese dub
-Japanese subtitles

Disc 6: Japanese only Grindhouse bonus disc (106 minutes)
-Grindhouse - US Trailer
-2006 San Diego Comicon
-Tarantino Interview (About the homages in Death Proof, About Planet Terror, Use of Music, Possible Sequel to Death Proof)
-Staff/Cast comments
-The Directors of the Fake Trailers
-Coments on past Grindhouse Films
-Making Of Planet Terror
sonnyboo
REAL DRAGON

Re: 6 Disc GrindHouse DVD

Postby Spifftacular SquirrelGirl on Tue Dec 25, 2007 10:25 pm

-Tarantino Interview (About the homages in Death Proof, About Planet Terror, Use of Music, Possible Sequel to Death Proof)

Sequel to Death Proof? Huh?? But... huh??? I just figured it was really cut and dried at the end of that movie.
Spifftacular SquirrelGirl
AIRWOLF

Postby instant_karma on Tue Dec 25, 2007 10:35 pm

Spifftacular SquirrelGirl wrote:-Tarantino Interview (About the homages in Death Proof, About Planet Terror, Use of Music, Possible Sequel to Death Proof)

Sequel to Death Proof? Huh?? But... huh??? I just figured it was really cut and dried at the end of that movie.

I don't yjru actually go so far as to kill Stuntman Mike, just give him a good ass kicking. So after doing his jail time (or even managing to persuade the cops that he was the victim), he could resume his crazy car shenanigans. Maybe even track down those pesky feminist chicks who kicked his head in...
instant_karma
Comes in 4 exciting flavours

Postby Spifftacular SquirrelGirl on Tue Dec 25, 2007 10:44 pm

instant_karma wrote:
Spifftacular SquirrelGirl wrote:-Tarantino Interview (About the homages in Death Proof, About Planet Terror, Use of Music, Possible Sequel to Death Proof)

I don't yjru actually go so far as to kill Stuntman Mike, just give him a good ass kicking. So after doing his jail time (or even managing to persuade the cops that he was the victim), he could resume his crazy car shenanigans. Maybe even track down those pesky feminist chicks who kicked his head in...

Or his even more evil twin brother Stuntman Mark shows up for "Death Proofier".

I think it's one of those movies that just really doesn't need a sequel. But I have a feeling that QT always mentions that he always has a sequel idea for nearly every movie he makes but they never get made. Probably the same case here.
AIRWOLF

Postby instant_karma on Tue Dec 25, 2007 10:47 pm

Spifftacular SquirrelGirl wrote:
instant_karma wrote:
S pifftacular SquirrelGirl wrote:-Tarantino Interview (About the homages in Death Proof, About Planet Terror, Use of Music, Possible Sequel to Death Proof)

I think it's one of those movies that just really doesn't need a sequel. But I have a feeling that QT always mentions that he always has a sequel idea for nearly every movie he makes but they never get made. Probably the same case here.

Ooh yeah, and rather than a deathproof car, he could have a deathproof truck. And he could target women with EVEN BIGGER FEET! WHO TALK EVEN LONGER!!
instant_karma
Comes in 4 exciting flavours

Postby Spifftacular SquirrelGirl on Tue Dec 25, 2007 10:49 pm

instant_karma wrote:
Spifftacular SquirrelGirl wrote:
instant_karma wrote:
S pifftacular SquirrelGirl wrote:-Tarantino Interview (About the homages in Death Proof, About Planet Terror, Use of Music, Possible Sequel to Death Proof)

Ooh yeah, and rather than a deathproof car, he could have a deathproof truck. And he could target women with EVEN BIGGER FEET! WHO TALK EVEN LONGER!!

LOL

I think you've got it nailed about right, IK. ;)
AIRWOLF

Postby Zarles on Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:41 am

I don't even think I really even need that set. I like the longer cuts of each film separately much better than the condensed cut of them together.
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:52 am

I have only watched Planet Terror at this point, and I actually enjoyed it quite a bit. It seemed to me to be totally stupid from the trailers. If Death Proof lives up to that comedy and mania, then I am sure these films will develop a much appreciated cult following.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Spifftacular SquirrelGirl on Wed Dec 26, 2007 1:10 am

burlivesleftnut wrote:I have only watched Planet Terror at this point, and I actually enjoyed it quite a bit. It seemed to me to be totally stupid from the trailers. If Death Proof lives up to that comedy and mania, then I am sure these films will develop a much appreciated cult following.

It's a lot different from Planet Terror. For one thing it takes itself a lot more serious than PT.

You'll also have to get ready for a lot of dialogue. Not that it's a bad thing... but after watching Planet Terror it's a little jarring.
AIRWOLF

Postby WalterBunny on Wed Dec 26, 2007 1:17 am

So, let me see if I've got this straight. I haven't bought Kill Bill because I'm waiting for Tarantino to do a megaset with the movie, instead of getting two DVDs.

Meanwhile, instead of waiting for the inevitable Grindhouse set, I go ahead and buy the two separate movies. Knowing that, if they ever did a set, I'd probably buy that, too.

What the hell is wrong with me?
WalterBunny
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby burlivesleftnut on Wed Dec 26, 2007 1:19 am

I am with you. I would wait for a complete set from either of those films.

I am actually waiting for a Kill Bill set that excludes "Bill" altogether.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:41 am

Just finished Death Proof. Despite being overly chatty (fuck you Quentin), I still had a blast. The chase at the end wasn't the be all and end all of chase scenes, but it comes close. And then ending had my in hysterics.

Winslow was right after all! I would put these movies in any classics category, but they were a blast, both of them.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby havocSchultz on Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:06 am

burlivesleftnut wrote:
Winslow was right after all!

New custom rank...?
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby WinslowLeach on Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:44 am

I was sort of staying away from this topic for reasons that many of you know about :) Im glad to see the majority of people in this topic enjoyed Grindhouse and QTs Death Proof.

I thought Death Proof was def QTs weirdest film. It just doesnt play by any rules at all. Theres so many mixed emotions you feel in it. Only QT would have his psycho killer go from being a diabolical creep to a crying bitch.

One theory I had about why Mike was vulnerable to attack in the second half comes from 2 things:

Back when Pulp Fiction came out, QT said that his characters wear suits of armor (the black n white suits). If you take that concept into Death Proof, it works too. In the first half of DP, Stuntman Mike is wearing his silver satin jacket. Thats his silver suit of armor. He even looks Death Proof. He almost looks like the human version of the silver Convoy Duck hood ornament on his stunt car. Theres even that CU shot of his silvery cold eye looking at the girls.

In the second half, Mike is not wearing his jacket. When he sees the new girls, his sexual urges get the best of him (watch how he slowly comes alive, like a light switching on as he looks at them) and he loses the precise control he had in the first half. He doesnt do his homework well enough.

Also, we know Mike gets off sexually from car crashes, when hes bumping the girls (his form of raping them) and finally thinks Zoes dead after the last bump, hes spent. He has shot his goo. He now has/is a limp dick and is vulnerable to attack.

Thats also why Kim uses the sexual connotations of "busting a nut up in this bitch" etc. "You dont like it up the ass, do ya?" etc.

When Kim shoots him, hes done for. Not because hes shot, but because he's impotent. At the end when the girls are beating him up, they are metaphorically beating a limp dick!!!
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:18 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:I am with you. I would wait for a complete set from either of those films.

I am actually waiting for a Kill Bill set that excludes "Bill" altogether.

Got an R2 or region free player? (wish I did just for this release)

Then you need the 6 Disc Japanese Boxset

[quote]
Cool Stuff: Japanese 6-Disc Grindhouse DVD Box Set

Posted on Thursday, December 27th, 2007 at 9:51 pm by: Peter Sciretta

Grindhouse Japanese PosterGrindhouse is one of my favorite movies of 2007 (list hopefully upcoming) but have yet to buy Planet Terror or Death Proof on DVD. Because like most fans, I envisioned the experience as a double header, and don’t want to get screwed with a couple single releases. Well the expected super duper special edition box set is about to come out on March 21st 2008… in Japan.

I found the six disc box set on Amazon.jp for 9.975 yen, which roughly translates into $65 American before shipping. No/All Region DVD player required. Box art isn’t available yet, the poster to the right was a Japanese one-sheet.

Here is the information on what is included in the set:

Disc 1: Death Proof (Extended Film)
-Japanese subtitles
-Japanese Theatrical/TV trailers

Disc 2: Planet Terror (Extended Film)
-Japanese Subtitles
-Rodriguez commentary
-International/Japanese trailers

Disc 3: Death Proof bonus materials
-Special Message to Japan from Tarantino
-Staff and Cast interviews on Death Proof
-Stunts on Wheels: The Legendary Drivers of Death Proof (20:39)
-Introducing Zoë Bell (8:59)
-Kurt Russell as Stuntman Mike (9:34)
-Finding Quentin’s Gals (21:14)
-The Uncut Version of “Baby, It’s Youâ€
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:28 pm

Cool stuff maybe we'll be lucky enough to get it over here sometime.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Zarles on Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:30 pm

Meh. I've already got discs 1-4 of that. If they make a separate US set of discs 5 & 6, I'll buy that, but I don't need to re-buy what I already have.
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby CeeBeeUK on Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:59 pm

Not sure how accurate this is...

Grindhouse at the Prince Charles (as their source link is broken at the moment) introduced by none other than Edgar Wright himself, on March 8th ahead of the print being made available to cinemas from March 23.
CeeBeeUK
WAIRWOLF GAME

Postby Chris a.k.a StuntMike on Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:59 pm

No mention on the discs of Hobo with a Shotgun?
Chris a.k.a StuntMike
Not without incident

Postby travis-dane on Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:28 pm

DID somebody say HOBO WITH A SHOTGUN!

http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=1LlazPgxKrA
-
Lesbian Nazi Hookers Abducted by UFOs and Forced Into Weight Loss Programs!
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Re: Grindhouse, or how we, the fans, get screwed over again....

Postby sonnyboo on Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:47 pm

I just got the big Japanese DVD multidisc set that has the entire theatrical cut, plus the other bonus feature disc. I dig it this way. Even the slightly too compressed video on a DVD-9 Dual Layer adds to the basic look of the whole thing. I haven't watched PLANET TERROR since the theater and I might actually watch it this way...
sonnyboo
REAL DRAGON

Postby Nice Marmot on Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:35 am

I know I'm bumping an old discussion here. Didn't see it being discussed elsewhere.

But what's w/ the upcoming, October release of the whole combined deal only being on Blu Ray? Why not on DVD?

I know I should eventually buy a Blu Ray player, but it would feel weird doing so because its the only way I can view Grindhouse.
Nice Marmot
REAL DRAGON

Postby Chris a.k.a StuntMike on Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:04 am

Nice Marmot wrote:I know I'm bumping an old discussion here. Didn't see it being discussed elsewhere.

But what's w/ the upcoming, October release of the whole combined deal only being on Blu Ray? Why not on DVD?

I know I should eventually buy a Blu Ray player, but it would feel weird doing so because its the only way I can view Grindhouse.

Here's the link if any one's interested:
http://www.cinematical.com/2010/08/11/g ... ls-emerge/

Between this and the Apocalypse Now Blu coming out, me happy.
Chris a.k.a StuntMike
Not without incident

Postby Nice Marmot on Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:29 am

Thanks!

According to that article it IS coming out on DVD.

So why is Amazon not offering DVD for pre-order?
Nice Marmot
REAL DRAGON

Postby magicmonkey on Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:08 am

Wow, that looks awesome. I'm really eager to see the behind the scenes stunt stuff. OLD SKOOL!11 When I see Jackie Chan whoring for anything that sells (other than pantie liners and dildo's) out here, I really wish stunt men could still make a living doing what they do best and not whoring shit/killing random girl groups for thrills...
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby stereosforgeeks on Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:26 am

I really wish it had seemless branching of Theatrical and Directors cuts.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Nice Marmot on Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:54 pm

I was wrong. Not coming out on DVD in October. Blu Ray only. Crap . . .
Nice Marmot
REAL DRAGON

Postby Hermanator X on Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:46 pm

Maybe it needs to be on Blu to avoid splitting the movie over 2 discs on DVD, which would be (kinda) just like it is now.
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby sonnyboo on Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:31 pm

Nice Marmot wrote:But what's w/ the upcoming, October release of the whole combined deal only being on Blu Ray? Why not on DVD?

They did release a DVD-10 dual layer disc of the whole thing in Japan (I have it). The quality is sub-par for the bit rate they had to lower the picture and sound quality down to for fitting on a single DVD.

On Blu-Ray, there is so much room and data, that they can release a 4 hour single movie in full HD 1080P and not lose anything in quality.

Simple answer, really.
sonnyboo
REAL DRAGON

Previous

Return to DVD / Blu-ray