Movies that should have Special Editions (Now w/CINERAMA)

Betamax and beyond

Movies that should have Special Editions (Now w/CINERAMA)

Postby Chairman Kaga on Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:24 pm

I didn't see a thread discussing this....

Are there any movies on DVD that you want in more than a bare bones edition?

I would love a Special Edition of It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World but this brings up something I've been wondering for a while now.

MMMMW has recently had some deleted scenes re-inserted since it's release. These scenes are most noticeable if you catch it broadcast on TCM when the color and film grain suddenly changes for a few cuts here and there. It was also a Cinerama film so it's shown with that weird distortion on the right and left sides of the screen perhaps most notable during the end sequence when everyone is squeezed into the taxis (How the West was Won is another example of this).
Does anyone know if this is something that may be correctable in any possible future releases of such films (be it standard DVD or most likely an HD format). Would this require some massive new scanning/transfer of the entirety of these Cinerama films from all three negatives (or the Ultra Panavision 70 negatives) or is this just a side effect of trying to display these aspect ratios on a "flat" screen unlike the original Cinerama curved screens thus these films will always have the "seams" etc?

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinerama#.22Cinerama.22_video_stretching_mode]Cineramaa
[/url]
Ultra Panavision 70
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby LaDracul on Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:01 am

I bring this up because I know I'm not crazy...

"Encino Man".

This is because for some reason, the syndicated version that runs on TV has the deleted scenes put in, while they were NOT on the initial DVD release. So if anyone at Buena Vista entertainment is reading this, please put them back in, dammit!!!
LaDracul
AIRWOLF

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:43 am

It seems like some films get endless special editions and rereleases, many of which are completely uncalled for...yet other films get very little attention.

A decent special edition of both 2001 and 2010 would be appreciated. Neither film has had a suitable DVD release.

My DVD of 2001 came with a CD soundtrack and a film cell - which was fine, but I'd like to see & know more. I've seen some documentary/making of footage as part of various programmes about 2001, so I know it exists. And updated interviews & documentaries could be made. Especially as the 40 year anniversary is coming up next year.

Same goes for 2010. There was an short documentary made at the time called "The Odyssey Continues" which could be added to with new material I'm sure. Also the picture quality is awful on the current releases.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:25 am

Fried Gold wrote:It seems like some films get endless special editions and rereleases, many of which are completely uncalled for...yet other films get very little attention.

A decent special edition of both 2001 and 2010 would be appreciated. Neither film has had a suitable DVD release.

My DVD of 2001 came with a CD soundtrack and a film cell - which was fine, but I'd like to see & know more. I've seen some documentary/making of footage as part of various programmes about 2001, so I know it exists. And updated interviews & documentaries could be made. Especially as the 40 year anniversary is coming up next year.

Same goes for 2010. There was an short documentary made at the time called "The Odyssey Continues" which could be added to with new material I'm sure. Also the picture quality is awful on the current releases.

I didn't post in this thread 'cause really nothing came to mind, but damn that is an AMAZING call on 2001!!! WOW, yeah, MAKE IT SO!!!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby sonnyboo on Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:58 am

2001 is getting re-released on an UBER special edition with all the Kubrick movies this fall. Blue-Ray, HD-DVD, and many new extras and bonuses (beyond an interactive menu).

Speaking of which, given that Kubrick originally release THE SHINING with a much longer cut before having the prints pulled from theatres - why no deleted scenes? One day the Kubrick archives will really really get cut loose. I hope I'm alive when it happens.

I'd like to see JURASSIC PARK get the full treatment. The bonuses were pretty weak on that DVD. Spielberg has many movies with no extras. Unfortunately, he never includes a "play all" on extras, so it's really annoying to watch a bunch of 10 minute clips and have to navigate to get the next one to play.
sonnyboo
REAL DRAGON

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:57 pm

Sonnyboo is correct!!!

2001: A Space Odyssey - 2-disc special edition (region 1 23rd October)

* Commentary by Keir Dullea and Gary Lockwood
* Theatrical trailer
* Channel 4 documentary: 2001: The Making of a Myth
* Standing on the Shoulders of Kubrick: The Legacy of 2001
* Vision of a Future Passed: The Prophecy of 2001
* 2001: A Space Odyssey - A Look Behind the Future
* 2001: FX and Early Conceptual Artwork
* Look: Stanley Kubrick!
* Audio-only interview with Stanley Kubrick

FREAKIN AWESOME
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby sonnyboo on Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:00 am

Why doesn't amazon list any of the extras anymore?
sonnyboo
REAL DRAGON

Postby RogueScribner on Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:26 pm

I really wish there was a special edition of Bram Stoker's Dracula. The laserdisc had tons of stuff, the DVD has squat. It's not the best movie in the world, I know, but I really like it and wish there was more to it.

The shittiest movies get some special features these days, so why not this one? It was a hit for Columbia. I'm sure they can scrounge up some interviews, bits on the costumes, sets, and makeup, and record a commentary. Plus a new transfer would be lovely. Even on the Superbit DVD I have the picture quality isn't so hot.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby LaDracul on Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:32 pm

RogueScribner wrote:I really wish there was a special edition of Bram Stoker's Dracula. The laserdisc had tons of stuff, the DVD has squat. It's not the best movie in the world, I know, but I really like it and wish there was more to it.

The shittiest movies get some special features these days, so why not this one? It was a hit for Columbia. I'm sure they can scrounge up some interviews, bits on the costumes, sets, and makeup, and record a commentary. Plus a new transfer would be lovely. Even on the Superbit DVD I have the picture quality isn't so hot.

Um, actually, there IS a 2-Disc SE that had been released.

"His hairdo is so queer..."
LaDracul
AIRWOLF

Postby RogueScribner on Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:37 pm

Holy crap, you're right! It came out the first week of October!

See how busy I've been? I didn't even know a DVD I really wanted was ever released!!!

THANKS! :)
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby sonnyboo on Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:13 pm

BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA has had two very different and amazing LASERDISC versions released. CRITERION did a freakin' awesome set when they did their set (including deleted scenes), but even the studio released special edition LD was packed full of great stuff including a lengthy documentary that had a ton of stuff on the rehearsal process that has effected me greatly.

This DVD looks like a hybrid of both with some new stuff jammed in.
sonnyboo
REAL DRAGON

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:36 pm

I'd still like a tricked out disc of The Rocketeer complete with new transfer. New cover art by Dave Stevens would be nice too. Maybe commentary, docs, deleted scenes, and reproductions of Stevens' illustrations. And Jennifer Connelly. Lots of Jennifer Connelly.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:13 am

I gotta to say, the Dino, he was a really disappointed inna the latest DVD release of a my Kong, which a they issued a to coinnacide with a the release of a the original onna the DVD anna the Jackson's Kong inna the theaters, no?

Goddamn... it was a just a the same goddamn bare bones a release as a the first time, eh?

Anna donna even a get a me started onna the fact that a they could have a released a the goddamn special edition with alla the extra footage I sold to a the goddamn NBC TV back inna the day, eh? They show it once onna the goddamn prime time anna it had alla sorts of a the huge goddamn ratings, eh?

Those goddamn Paramount bastards... they dinna even ask a the Dino for any kinds of a the inna'volvement, no? Not even a the goddamn commentary track, eh?
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Return to DVD / Blu-ray