Walt Disney Treasures Wave VIII - (Donald In Mathmagic Land)

Betamax and beyond

Walt Disney Treasures Wave VIII - (Donald In Mathmagic Land)

Postby TheButcher on Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:50 pm

Donald In Mathmagic Land, the often requested 1959 educational featurette, has been confirmed by Disney as being included in The Chronological Donald, Volume 4.
source : animated news

From animated views:

• Destino: isn’t too much of a surprise, having been previously announced for the second wave of Roy Disney’s Legacy Collection series, but is extremely welcome! The last wave of Treasures saw issues for Oswald The Lucky Rabbit and Disneyland Secrets, Stories And Magic, so this title presumably closes the door on that cycle. Destino, of course, famously began as a 1946 collaboration between Walt Disney and the famed surrealist painter Salvador Dalí. A first-hand example of Disney’s interest in avant garde and experimental work in animation, Destino was to be awash with Dalí’s iconic melting clocks, marching ants and floating eyeballs.

However, the film wasn’t completed until 2003, when it was rediscovered by Walt’s nephew, Roy E. Disney, while he was looking for material for the continuations of Fantasia. He took on the challenge of bringing the creation of these two great artists to fruition, and the film was eventually nominated for an Academy Award and showcased during the Once Upon A Time: Artistic Sources exhibition in Paris and Montreal, which I was lucky enough to visit.

In addition to the completed short, the release will need to include quite a lot of bonus footage to make up a two-disc set, but it seems we’re covered: an all-new feature-length documentary will examine the partnership between Dalí and Disney, and two new featurettes, The Disney That Almost Was and Encounters With Walt, will examine the studio’s unfinished projects and address the surprisingly diverse group of celebrities and artists who were attracted to Walt Disney’s early work, respectively. How exciting!

• The Chronological Donald, Volume 4: last but by no means least, the irascible duck is back in what should be the final collection of his animated short work.

The inclusion of the 1959 featurette Donald In Mathmagic Land has now been confirmed, since the set will cover cartoons released between 1951 and 1961.

The CinemaScope shorts will be presented in their original widescreen aspect ratio for the first time on video, something actually promised for The Chronological Donald, Volume 3 even though that collection didn’t reach as far as the introduction of this particular widescreen process. So in that respect Volume 4 sounds like it’s going to be another keeper!

These new titles will hit shelves in November!
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Evil Hobbit on Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:14 pm

Love this dvd collection. Donald is my favorite Disney character as well.
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Postby buster00 on Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:36 pm

Donald in Mathmagic Landright here, right now, if you've got about half an hour to spare.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby King Psyz on Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:57 am

my basic understanding of mathmatetics started with this film
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby DennisMM on Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:01 am

I can only understand about half the dialogue. Ah, well. The wages of damaged hearing.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby King Psyz on Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:02 am

sadly it all makes sense to me...
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby DennisMM on Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:03 am

It's just my ears and the low-fi YouTube sound. I should have said the wages of jet engines. The wages of jet engines is damaged hearing. I almost never turn off the closed-captioning on my TV.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby bamf on Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:16 am

King Psyz wrote:my basic understanding of mathmatetics started with this film

...And why I'm horrid at Pool!
bamf
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby King Psyz on Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:54 am

and why I'm not :-P
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby DDMAN26 on Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:12 pm

This is probably the one dvd series that I look forward to the most.
DDMAN26
STEAK-A-BABY

Return to DVD / Blu-ray