3 cuts of ALEXANDER?

Betamax and beyond

3 cuts of ALEXANDER?

Postby sonnyboo on Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:56 pm

Okay, so I saw Oliver Stone's ALEXANDER in the theatre and I was personally underwhelmed. I had high hopes. I like the sand & sandal epics and Alexander the Great is one of histories most interesting characters. How many warriors have a philosopher like Aristotle as a tutor?

The theatrical cut was not much to write home about. I have not seen the director's cut on DVD, and now there is a 3rd "Alexander Re-Visited The Final Cut". The director's cut swapped out 18 minutes of footage for 9 new minutes and was considered better. Now there is a 45+ minutes added final cut.

Will I be wasting my time giving this a shot? Oliver Stone's intro supposedly says, "If you hated the theatrical cut, you'll hate this version even more." Which does not bode well.

Anyone see alternate versions & have some advice before I put this in the cue at Netflix?
sonnyboo
REAL DRAGON

Postby slumber party69 on Wed May 21, 2008 1:30 am

How about don`t!!!.

Three cuts and he oliver stone still hasn`t got it right.Just rent TROY instead lol.
slumber party69
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed May 21, 2008 1:32 am

slumber party69 wrote:How about don`t!!!.

Three cuts and he oliver stone still hasn`t got it right.Just rent TROY instead lol.

you mean for a mediocre at best sand and sandals epic?
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby tapehead on Wed May 21, 2008 1:36 am

DC of Troy is a huge improvement of the film to mediocre status - I'm sure we have a Films of Oliver Stone thread here somewhere...
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Re:

Postby sonnyboo on Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:44 pm

slumber party69 wrote:How about don`t!!!.

I wish I had adhered to this.... what a colossal (literally) waste of time! Yes, the DC of TROY is such a vast improvement that I bought it without seeing it first and I didn't like the theatrical. STONE says in his intro that if you hated the theatrical cut, you'll probably hate this too and I certainly did.

First and foremost, I can't tell what was different. Was it just cut in a different sequential order? I felt the complete lack of depth or creditibility as I did in the theater.

Too bad, ALEXANDER THE GREAT is one of histories most interesting characters, but this movie seemed solely concerned with making his parents seems like assholes and whose cock sucked the most, and not in an interesting way on either side.
sonnyboo
REAL DRAGON

Re: 3 cuts of ALEXANDER?

Postby Evil Hobbit on Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:14 pm

I like the movie and I LOVE the soundtrack. Vangelis is a God, that Young Alexander track is majestic. I personally prefer the theatrical cut of this movie. And I think it's way better and compelling then Troy, even the improved DC of that.
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Return to DVD / Blu-ray