Best way to watch movies on a laptop...?

Betamax and beyond

Best way to watch movies on a laptop...?

Postby Eunuch Provocateur on Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:29 pm

I don't know if this is the right forum, but what the hell:

As a college student, my only means of watching films are on my laptop. And I hate it. The white backlight is always shining through in the darker moments. White light shooting up from the bottom of the screen. It totally sucks.

Is there anything I can do to alleviate this or am I fucked? Turning down the screen brightness only seems to make it worse.
There's no Devil, just God when he's drunk. -Tom Waits.
Eunuch Provocateur
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Evil Hobbit on Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:39 pm

Hm, maybe you can dim the backlight on your laptop? I have a macbook and it has a button for it.
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Postby SilentBobX on Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:40 pm

Only advice I can give is not to set the laptop on your actual lap since repeated exposure has been proven to cause problems in the family jewels.

Mahalo
SilentBobX
AIRWOLF

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:57 pm

I ran through one of the THX calibration methods you get on some DVDs. Seemed to work fine for my laptop.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Worst Part's Almost Over on Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:12 pm

With good speakers. Those tinny laptop speakers always annoy the hell out of me!
Worst Part's Almost Over
AIRWOLF

Re: Best way to watch movies on a laptop...?

Postby jumbika on Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:51 am

Hi all, I am a travelling salesman. I sell VCDs and CDROMs from my van (mobile unit). I wish to connect my Dell Sempron laptop to an external battery in order to display the CDs to my customers at fairs and exhibitions. Will a regular car battery be able to power my laptop for a few hours each day? Will this supplement the battery that is already in the laptop? Can I connect the external battery to the van so that it recharges when the vehicle is running?
Last edited by jumbika on Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
jumbika
GLIB

Postby RogueScribner on Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:10 am

My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:33 am

jumbika wrote:Hi all, I am a travelling salesman. I sell VCDs and CDROMs from my van (mobile unit). I wish to connect my Dell Sempron laptop to an external battery in order to display the CDs to my customers at fairs and exhibitions. Will a regular car battery be able to power my laptop for a few hours each day? Will this supplement the battery that is already in the laptop? Can I connect the external battery to the van so that it recharges when the vehicle is running?

Are you sending this message from the mid-1990s?
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bayouwolf on Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:41 am

jumbika wrote:Hi all, I am a travelling salesman. I sell VCDs and CDROMs from my van (mobile unit). I wish to connect my Dell Sempron laptop to an external battery in order to display the CDs to my customers at fairs and exhibitions. Will a regular car battery be able to power my laptop for a few hours each day? Will this supplement the battery that is already in the laptop? Can I connect the external battery to the van so that it recharges when the vehicle is running?

Just plug it into the van's 8-track adapter. Remember to flip the adapter over about every 27 minutes.
Bayouwolf
Country Bouy

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:28 am

It's all about getting the best discrete optimization alogirithmm, right Adam Balm?

...Adam Balm?
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chris a.k.a StuntMike on Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:35 am

John Titor is back!
Chris a.k.a StuntMike
Not without incident

Postby spock of the walk on Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:50 pm

on a related note i am thinking about converting all my vhs tapes to laserdisk. anyone know the best way to go about this?
"He told me he understood, but I could see it in his eyes that he didn't. He was lying to me."
spock of the walk
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby papalazeru on Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:04 pm

spock of the walk wrote:

on a related note i am thinking about converting all my vhs tapes to laserdisk. anyone know the best way to go about this?

Time Travel
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Return to DVD / Blu-ray