KINGDOM OF HEAVEN Director's Cut

Betamax and beyond

Postby wonkabar on Sat Jun 10, 2006 2:53 pm

I'd like to see it, but I'm not sure yet if I wanna buy. I still haven't seen the Gladiator-Extended yet.
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby RogueScribner on Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:44 am

I bought this DVD last week . . . and gave it to my brother for his birthday. :) I intend to borrow it forthwith!
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby The Vicar on Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:24 pm

wonkabar wrote:I'd like to see it, but I'm not sure yet if I wanna buy. I still haven't seen the Gladiator-Extended yet.

The extended Kingdom of Heaven is more impressive than the extended Gladiator.
Its just the sheer volume of material that was unjustly cut...the changes to Gladiator are minor - insignificant.
The changes to KOH?
Deep in scope & impact.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby The Ginger Man on Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:51 pm

Shit, me and the lady friend really want to see this but can't justify $30 for a movie we'll watch once. I can't find it for rent anywhere...it's not even on Netflix last I checked. Is it worth the money? And keep in mind...I'm quite poor at the moment.
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Postby Nordling on Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:53 pm

Best DVD release of the year, bar none.

Any film lover deserves to treat him or herself to this sucker.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby The Ginger Man on Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:57 pm

Nordling wrote:Best DVD release of the year, bar none.

Well, if you showed up just long enough to say that then I guess I can't argue. Thanks, Nordling!
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Wed Jun 14, 2006 4:05 pm

I feel inadvertantly dissed. *snif*

Ginger... I thought I was more than that to you... you... *runs off crying*
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Vicar on Wed Jun 14, 2006 4:30 pm

The Ginger Man wrote:
Nordling wrote:Best DVD release of the year, bar none.

Well, if you showed up just long enough to say that then I guess I can't argue. Thanks, Nordling!

He ain't bullshitting you with the praise.
Now a lot of this depends on your attitude toward Ridley Scott.
But rarely has a DC release so fully illuminated & expanded a films depth.
This is the one.
The Vicar

Postby The Ginger Man on Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:02 pm

AtomicHyperbole wrote:I feel inadvertantly dissed. *snif*

Ginger... I thought I was more than that to you... you... *runs off crying*

Don't take it like that, AH. You're still my man....you're still good. I trust ya..... it's just that you did like X3 :wink:

J/K man. I just hadn't read the entire thread yet. I was skimming through it during a break at the recording studio. I have since gone back and read your review, which only further cemented my decision to buy the DVD.
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:16 pm

Heheh, wise decision - it really is the finest DVD I've ever bought.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby raasnio on Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:37 pm

AtomicHyperbole wrote:It could even be the best film he's ever made.

Now I guess I'll have to see this. I consider Sir Ridley Scott to be a great director. Only problem is that, like with Matchstick Men, I've had no interest in the storyline of this film. Your review may have persuaded me to pick it up this coming weekend to see it for myself.
raasnio
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby raasnio on Sun Jun 25, 2006 3:01 am

I've watched disc 1 so far. I'd have to say that this is much better than Gladiator at this point. Unless it goes south on disc 2 I'm thinking that this was definitely a good purchase.
raasnio
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby raasnio on Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:24 pm

I finished watching this film. I did like it better than Gladiator, but the ending isn't as strong. It's not a bad ending, in fact, it's probably the right ending. It just doesn't climax in a way that makes you feel much of anything. Still, Disc 1 alone made it worth the cash.
raasnio
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby iamthevillain on Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:41 pm

I already have the theatrical release, but I definatley have to find a way to get this now. I gotta see what you guys are talking about
iamthevillain
GLIB

Postby RogueScribner on Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:33 pm

I borrowed a copy and didn't end up being too enamored with it. It was okay, I guess, but the movie really takes its time and I didn't find many of the characters too interesting. In a weird way, I feel like I've seen it all before.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Re: KINGDOM OF HEAVEN Director's Cut

Postby so sorry on Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:49 am

I'm trying to get thru Kingdom of Heaven right now (well, not literally right now, but I started watching it last night). Its the theatrical version, not the "OMG the director's cut is sooo much better" version. Man, this is some boring shit.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby John-Locke on Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:20 am

Yeah but seriously the Directors cut IS so much better, the theatrical cut doesn't even make proper sense.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby so sorry on Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:43 am

John-Locke wrote:Yeah but seriously the Directors cut IS so much better, the theatrical cut doesn't even make proper sense.

I know I know. But I bought the Theatrical Version at a going-out-of-business sale for like 6 bucks... and they didn't have the other version.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:11 pm

Does anyone know what the difference is (if any) between these:

- Special Edition
- Definitive Edition
- Director's Edition

And which is best to get?
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:27 pm

That's a good question. When I first read a review of the DVD, I was told the one to get was the 4-disc one (back before Blu-ray) with the director's cut and, in addition, a bunch of historical supplements concerning the Crusades. I'm not sure which version that would be out of those, but I can try and do some webstigating.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby RogueScribner on Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:26 pm

As far as I can tell, there's a theatrical version DVD (one- or two-disc sets), and the director's cut (4-disc set) which you can also get in a nice tin in the "Definitive Edition". I don't think there is a content difference between the Directors Cut and the Definitive Edition, just packaging.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:44 pm

Cheers. I went with the Director's Cut 4-disc as it was cheaper, and your info seems to be correct in that it's just the packaging that's different. (I usually use dvdcompare.net for stuff like this, but it keeps 404'ing).
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby sonnyboo on Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:39 pm

Fried Gold wrote:Does anyone know what the difference is (if any) between these:

- Special Edition
- Definitive Edition
- Director's Edition

And which is best to get?

SPECIAL EDITION tends to mean the director had contractual cut, but wanted to do an extended cut or longer version anyways for DVD or release. ((Peter Jackson's Extended Cuts of LORD OF THE RINGS and James Cameron's Special Editions of THE ABYSS, ALIENS, and TERMINATOR 2 cannot be called "Director's Cuts" because they contractually had final cut on the films)).

DIRECTOR's CUT or EDITION tends to mean the director did NOT have the final say over the edit that was originally released and these versions are where they got to release their edit of the film, usually longer but sometimes it is shorter or alternate cuts/takes. Ridley Scott makes use of this for BLADE RUNNER, ALIEN, LEGEND, and KINGDOM OF HEAVEN.

DEFINITIVE EDITION tends to be a 3rd or 4th release of a film with alternate or longer cuts or producers/directors change their minds about what they put out in prior releases. Spielberg used this DEFINITIVE EDITION for CLOSE ENCOUNTERS because there were already 2 cuts released before.
sonnyboo
REAL DRAGON

Postby The Vicar on Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:54 pm

Fried Gold wrote:Cheers. I went with the Director's Cut 4-disc as it was cheaper, and your info seems to be correct in that it's just the packaging that's different. (I usually use dvdcompare.net for stuff like this, but it keeps 404'ing).

The Director's cut to KofH is a superior film in every way to the truncated theatrical release. A far richer story. Enjoy, amigo.
The Vicar

Postby Nachokoolaid on Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:12 pm

The Vicar wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:Cheers. I went with the Director's Cut 4-disc as it was cheaper, and your info seems to be correct in that it's just the packaging that's different. (I usually use dvdcompare.net for stuff like this, but it keeps 404'ing).

The Director's cut to KofH is a superior film in every way to the truncated theatrical release. A far richer story. Enjoy, amigo.

yeah, even Bloom's stilted performance became more enjoyable. Better all around.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby The Vicar on Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:56 pm

Director's cuts can't repair every sin, you know.... :wink:
The Vicar

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:30 pm

The 4-disc Director's Cut set arrived today. Looks bitchin', but will likely need a free weekend to go through the whole thing.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:33 pm

Holy shit.

Just the expanded opening scenes add so much more to the story. So many details that I was unaware of before.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Nachokoolaid on Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:35 pm

Fried Gold wrote:Holy shit.

Just the expanded opening scenes add so much more to the story. So many details that I was unaware of before.

Yeah, giving you Bloom's backstory enriches his character a ton.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby The Vicar on Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:46 pm

Fried Gold wrote:Holy shit.

That's what we're talking about.
The Vicar

Postby sonnyboo on Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:46 pm

FYI the BLU RAY has none of the extras or commentaries...
sonnyboo
REAL DRAGON

Postby Ribbons on Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:11 pm

I kinda figured; I thought about picking up the Blu-ray the other day because it's also "The Director's Cut," but it was only one disc, so I figured I'd hold off until I knew for sure what was on it. Thanks for the info sonnyboo
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Ribbons on Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:14 pm

The Hellboy wrote:Sorry to be sorta shillish, I gave Moriarty the heads up on this - Ridley Scott's new Director's Cut of KINGDOM OF HEAVEN is playing exclusively in Los Angeles at the Fairfax Laemmle for the next 2 weeks.

Please check it out - if you've seen the previous theatrical edition, this should change any issues you may have had with it. I can't recommend it enough. Running time is approx. 3hours 9minutes.

Fairfax 3
7907 Beverly Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90048

(323) 655-4010

Also, looking at the first post in this thread... it's kind of interesting, because I'm reading the book Future Noir right now, which is about the making of Blade Runner, and the workprint/almost-director's cut of that film screened for the first time at the Fairfax in Los Angeles as well.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Fried Gold on Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:47 pm

Ribbons wrote:I kinda figured; I thought about picking up the Blu-ray the other day because it's also "The Director's Cut," but it was only one disc, so I figured I'd hold off until I knew for sure what was on it. Thanks for the info sonnyboo

Apparently it's not even the same "Director's Cut" that was on the DVD, but a shorter version.

EDIT: The Blu-ray version has had the overture, intermission and entr'acte left out.
Last edited by Fried Gold on Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:29 pm

What!? Those bastards!
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:03 am

According to Amazon's listings the Blu-ray is one minute longer than the DVD. Have to say I'm annoyed the Blu-ray doesn't have all the bells and whistles but I guess that's what I get for not looking. I didn't pay a lot for it so I'm not complaining too loudly.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby sonnyboo on Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:45 pm

Fried Gold wrote:
EDIT: The Blu-ray version has had the overture, intermission and entr'acte left out.

My BLU RAY has the overtures and intermissions.... are you sure about that? I watched it the other day.

I can't believe it doesn't have the commentaries from the 4 disc DVD set...
sonnyboo
REAL DRAGON

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:51 pm

sonnyboo wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:

My BLU RAY has the overtures and intermissions.... are you sure about that? I watched it the other day.

I can't believe it doesn't have the commentaries from the 4 disc DVD set...

Don't own the disc myself, but read it on The Digital Bits.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby RaulMonkey on Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:57 pm

I watched the director's cut on Blu-ray this week and there was no intermission etc. I haven't seen the theatrical cut since it was in theatres, so I can't draw any direct comparisons, but it was definitely a superior experience. It took its time telling the story, you got to know the characters a bit more, and I felt that the motives of the different players leading up to war were better established. The Vicar's bang-on when it calls it "richer." There are more layers at work here, even if there may be room for more layers still.
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby The Vicar on Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:02 pm

Hey!!! I'm banging something!!!! Whoa hoo!!!

Just taking a piss :lol: - truly glad you enjoyed the DC....it really is some nice, elegant story telling.
The Vicar

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:26 pm

Holee shit! This and you scare me, Raul!! As only tonight on FilmFour did I finally get to see this new cut, coinci so called dentally! I fully appreciate the scenes at the beginning sketching out Balian's war experience and capabilities, and the Princess's motivation for that boy haircut at the end with her son dying of Leprosy. There's more scenes in the film that I don't recognise along with others that I do, like the burning bush and all in all, yes it is long a watch coming in over 3 hours but man the film is so worth it, despite a greater slowness, what with greater substance and explanation to the characters and story - even with a bonus of conclusion as we see Balian and that Dee bloke or whatever the Jerusalem King's name was. Sod it, I'll always trade in lack of character for this any day and here it makes the film much more magnificent. As the announcer for this film said, it is truly epic and a much more consuming arc and journey.

When you consider the astonishing technical achievement and glorious wide visuals you really feel that THIS was the epic movie to top them all in that recent surge of Troys being released out there, heck I could even hail this over Gladiator as the best of Scott's work of late. There's so many great signs of what Nottingham is gonna be like from what I heard about the story and action from the Extra people working on it.

Also, maybe it's me getting used to flaws in a film when I see it repeated on TV or the extra scenes here, but I like (or accept) Orlando Bloom's performance more. I wonder if it's the youth of the actor that is out of place more than his acting on this watch. But I also liked to see more of the wonderful Eva Green frolicking about and beaming those accusingly seductive eyes all over the place, got to see her romp in bed with Bloom but dayum!!! Where were those full frontal nude shots that were cut form the original cut? What have I gotta do? go watch The Dreamers all over again?

Though one thing regarding that war at the end to offer terms of surrender. I wonder if Saladin was allowed to just take the city by force, would he have ever slaughtered any of the townsfolk and not let them have freedom that he offered after the fighting had gone on? As at the end of his talk with Bloom he said that he 'is Saladin!' and words to the effect that he would not have massacred any Christian even though the Christian soldiers did it to his people before. He seemed to be saying this on behalf of what he would have done anyway without the resistance of Balian's army? Help me with this, someone?

Also why did Jeremy Irons do a legger to some nightclub town in Cyprus with his men for a good ol' piss up when he knew Saladin was on his way to Jerusalem, just when he was needed the most?
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby RaulMonkey on Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:19 am

Awesome! Thanks for some concrete examples of differences between the two cuts, Kirk! And I agree--it's worth spending three hours with the story because this particular story NEEDS three hours to be properly told. If you don't have the time to inhabit the world--really the TWO worlds of France and Jerusalem--and appreciate the magnitude of Balian's journey, both the miles and as a man, and the intrigues going on around him, then all you're left with is spectacle.

As for Saladin, I'm afraid that I have to cheap out and Wiki up some information:

Ṣalāḥ ad-Dīn Yūsuf ibn Ayyūb...(c. 1138 - March 4, 1193), better known in the Western world as Saladin, was a Kurdish[2][3] Muslim who became the Sultan of Egypt and Syria. He led Islamic opposition to the Franks and other European Crusaders in the Levant. At the height of his power, he ruled over Egypt, Syria, Iraq, Hejaz, and Yemen. He led the Muslims against the Crusaders and eventually recaptured Palestine from the Kingdom of Jerusalem after his victory in the Battle of Hattin... His chivalrous behavior was noted by Christian chroniclers, especially in the accounts of the siege of Kerak in Moab, and despite being the nemesis of the Crusaders he won the respect of many of them, including Richard the Lionheart; rather than becoming a hated figure in Europe, he became a celebrated example of the principles of chivalry, a rare distinction for a non-Christian.

Watching (this version of) the movie's definitely given me a hankering to learn more about the time and place for myself.
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby Fried Gold on Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:48 am

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Though one thing regarding that war at the end to offer terms of surrender. I wonder if Saladin was allowed to just take the city by force, would he have ever slaughtered any of the townsfolk and not let them have freedom that he offered after the fighting had gone on? As at the end of his talk with Bloom he said that he 'is Saladin!' and words to the effect that he would not have massacred any Christian even though the Christian soldiers did it to his people before. He seemed to be saying this on behalf of what he would have done anyway without the resistance of Balian's army? Help me with this, someone?

Saladin's forces were notorious for being able to attack and pillage the main populated forts, but not actually doing it, instead preferring to put them under siege. Saladin tended to allow safe retreats for the christians and was essentially playing a grand game of chess with the Crusader knights (albeit with serious aims).

Also why did Jeremy Irons do a legger to some nightclub town in Cyprus with his men for a good ol' piss up when he knew Saladin was on his way to Jerusalem, just when he was needed the most?[/quote]
Perhaps Raymond wasn't really that bothered about fighting Saladin. In real life, they were often in cohorts as both though Guy de Lusignon was a knob and wanted to off him.

Overall there was probably more bad blood between the different factions of Crusaders than there was between the Crusaders and the Muslims. If Christians do one thing well, it's bickering amongst themselves.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:34 am

Fried Gold wrote: If Christians do one thing well, it's bickering amongst themselves.

NO IT ISN'T!!!!!!!!!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby The Vicar on Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:45 am

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:
Fried Gold wrote: If Christians do one thing well, it's bickering amongst themselves.

NO IT ISN'T!!!!!!!!!

Yes it is. Amen.
The Vicar

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:21 pm

The Vicar wrote:
Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:

NO IT ISN'T!!!!!!!!!

Yes it is. Amen.

Damn Christians, stop bickering amongst yourselves.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Vicar on Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:10 pm

Fried Gold wrote:
The Vicar wrote:
Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:

NO IT ISN'T!!!!!!!!!

Yes it is. Amen.

Damn Christians, stop bickering amongst yourselves.

No we're not. Blasphemer!
The Vicar

Postby BuckyO'harre on Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:17 pm

Didn't some Lutherans just threaten to start yet another denomination after the decision to welcome Dumbledore folks?

Oh,and I really really need to see the DC of KoH.
I'm already quite fond of the film as it was released.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Previous

Return to DVD / Blu-ray