New Line screws us on LOTR Blu Ray

Betamax and beyond

New Line screws us on LOTR Blu Ray

Postby sonnyboo on Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:53 pm

Theatrical Cuts only? We've been waiting a couple years for HD versions, and now they want to screw us with THEATRICAL CUTS only????

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000X9 ... il_title_1

bastards.
sonnyboo
REAL DRAGON

Re: New Line screws us on LOTR Blu Ray

Postby Nachokoolaid on Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:04 pm

Probably not deserving of it's own thread, but I agree. Although I think the Extended Editions have to be on the horizon. Or maybe PJ is waiting for that 3D tech to push a bit further into the home market and sell them there.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:28 pm

The Lord of the Rings DVDs have been a big screw over since day one, with about five different releases of pretty much the same thing.

Why did you think this would be any different?
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby sonnyboo on Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:47 pm

Fried Gold wrote:The Lord of the Rings DVDs have been a big screw over since day one, with about five different releases of pretty much the same thing.

Why did you think this would be any different?

PJ made sure to announce the release date of the EXTENDED EDITIONS when the THEATRICAL CUTS were released because he is a fanboy at heart.
sonnyboo
REAL DRAGON

Postby Ribbons on Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:06 pm

Yeah, I dunno. Maybe they don't even have a release date yet. Is there a risk of losing money on the Extended Editions somehow? I mean it seems like a no-brainer to release them both to me, so this news is pretty strange.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Peven on Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:19 pm

beside the theatrical editions the extended editions what other versions are there out there? the extended edition dvd's are great in picture and sound quality, add significant footage to the theatrical release, and the extras are still the gold standard for dvd's. i don't see the basis for someone saying that there have been different 5 versions and they are all the same....

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby tapehead on Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:16 am

Theatrical, Extended and Limited editions - not sure whether there have been more released since then (link dates back to June '06, and I've seen a Platinum Series Special Extended Edition on Amazon, as well as 'Full Screen' editions), but the theatrical versions and then extended versions on Blu-Ray will make at least five releases of each film, or seven, depending on how you're counting (and not including VHS) ...
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Fried Gold on Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:22 pm

Peven wrote:beside the theatrical editions the extended editions what other versions are there out there? the extended edition dvd's are great in picture and sound quality, add significant footage to the theatrical release, and the extras are still the gold standard for dvd's. i don't see the basis for someone saying that there have been different 5 versions and they are all the same....

Okay, Mr Strawman:

- Individual 1-disc theatricals
- Individual 2-disc theatricals
- Packaged boxsets of both 1-disc and 2-disc theatricals
- "Limited edition" boxsets 2-disc theatricals with toy.
- Individual Extended editions
- Individual extended editions with toy.
- Boxset of extended editions
- Boxset of extended editions with toy.
- "Limited Edition" branching sets, featuring both theatrical and extended versions.

(and that was just for the UK. It is likely there could be other releases for different regions)

All essentially the same thing, just released in varying different ways.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:14 pm

Sources close to director Peter Jackson have informed me that he’s saving the extended editions of the films for an “ultimate” box set release closer to the debut of the new Hobbit films...

Any chance this means PJ is going to shoot the Scouring of the Shire?
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:41 pm

Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:
Sources close to director Peter Jackson have informed me that he’s saving the extended editions of the films for an “ultimate” box set release closer to the debut of the new Hobbit films...

Or Tom Bombadil (OH!)?
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby sonnyboo on Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:02 pm

There are still "delete d scenes" that have never made the light of day, even as special features. I know they talked about putting those out eventually as separate extras, like the end of the story with what happened to each character, aside from Hobbits. I think they talk about them on the extras (of the 4 disc DVD editions).

For me, there are the original THEATRICAL CUT versions in 2 disc sets, disc 1 is the theatrical cut, and disc 2 has trailers, generic promo videos and all the various TV specials and previews of the special editions and next film.

Then came the EXTENDED CUTS versions with 4 DVD's, with the movies on 2 discs, with 4 commentary tracks, then the 2nd 2 discs cover pre production and production to release of the films, each documentary is about 3 hours or so on each disc and they are standard interviews with all the people involved in the making of the movie interspersed with "B-Roll", which is the on-set behind the scenes footage. NEW LINE supervised these documentaries.

The last SD release was the 2 disc version with the branching version DVD's with the THEATRICAL CUT and EXTENDED SPECIAL EDITIONS on 1 disc, but 2 sides, and a 2nd one sided DVD-5 disc of all new 90 minute documentaries for each film. These documentaries are more like "fly on the wall" style with interviews being more spontaneous and on set, not really staged interviews or after the fact and these are the documentaries sanctioned by and supervised by Peter Jackson and his usual documentarian Costa Botes, and his B-Roll footage was also used in the other documentaries, but these have many new and very different insights into the making of the films.

Now there are the THEATRICAL CUTS on BLU RAY. I count 4 releases, but I'm not counting the variations of each with little bonus discs like the making of the GOLLUM figurine or the making of the SCORE with Howard Shore.
sonnyboo
REAL DRAGON

Postby Nachokoolaid on Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:41 pm

Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:

Chances probably pretty low, but I would totally buy that. But I want to know how PJ's going to make it work considering he put a spike through Sarumanat Isengard. Maybe they'll be a foreword that's says, "Pretend you never saw Saruman die." Eh, the more I think about it, the less likely it seems, but it would still be kickass.

Anyone else want to see that studly old hobbit that scowls at Gandalf at the beginning of FOTR go to war? I think it would be cool.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby TheBaxter on Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:11 am

i'll be waiting for the extended editions. even if i have to wait years.
if i just can't wait to see HD LOTR, i'll check out the theatrical cuts on netflix.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Fried Gold on Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:54 am

Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:

I seem to think he did shoot some of the scouring already. It appeared to Frodo in the mysterious "What If?" visions.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Peven on Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:46 am

i confess i was not aware of those extra SD releases, which do seem to be repackaged material that was already out there. by the time they release the extended editions on blu ray i may have actually bought a player, so i guess that works out. thing is, the regular extended edition dvd's look great with my upscaling dvd player and hi def set, so i am not exactly desperate to shell out another $150(figure $50 per movie) for versions where my eyes will have to work to see a difference

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby sonnyboo on Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:34 am

Peven wrote: i am not exactly desperate to shell out another $150(figure $50 per movie) for versions where my eyes will have to work to see a difference

It's $69 for all 3 on BLU RAY, so I'm not sure where your numbers are at, but I'm waiting too and NETFLIX can take care of me for now. That'll learn NEW LINE.

Nachokoolaid wrote:Probably not deserving of it's own thread

Look, this deserves it's own topic. It's been specific to the DVD/BLU RAY only.
sonnyboo
REAL DRAGON

Postby Fievel on Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:06 am

tapehead wrote:
Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:

Or Tom Bombadil (OH!)?

Isn't the old "Oh Snap!" gif taken from the deleted Tom Bombadil scene?
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Gerald Fried on Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:06 am

Fievel wrote:
tapehead wrote:
Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:

Or Tom Bombadil (OH!)?

Isn't the old "Oh Snap!" gif taken from the gaffneyed Tom Bombadil scene?

This is apparently the Weta Tom Bombadgeneril.

Gerald Fried
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Peven on Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:21 am

sonnyboo wrote:
Peven wrote: i am not exactly desperate to shell out another $150(figure $50 per movie) for versions where my eyes will have to work to see a difference

It's $69 for all 3 on BLU RAY, so I'm not sure where your numbers are at, but I'm waiting too and NETFLIX can take care of me for now. That'll learn NEW LINE.

i was estimating the cost of the EE blu ray sets when they come out some time in the future :roll:

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:26 pm

TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby so sorry on Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:46 pm

Maybe I'll have a blu-ray player by then... :(
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby BennyBlanco on Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:40 pm

Looks like Ill be renting these on bluray and buying the EE next year I am not getting screwed and buying the damn things 2x.

Years ago when I realized what the movie industry was up to in gouging consumers with dumb special editions i stopped buying them.
BennyBlanco
GLIB

Postby Raziel on Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:12 pm

This is probably old news, but apparently a massive amount of the comments on Amazon are negative vis-a-vis the lack of extended cuts. I'm sure they look awesome, but I think I'll give 'em a miss.
Raziel
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby sonnyboo on Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:05 pm

Raziel wrote:This is probably old news, but apparently a massive amount of the comments on Amazon are negative vis-a-vis the lack of extended cuts. I'm sure they look awesome, but I think I'll give 'em a miss.

It makes you wonder if NEW LINE (nee Warner Bros) even noticed.
sonnyboo
REAL DRAGON

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:14 pm

sonnyboo wrote:
Raziel wrote:This is probably old news, but apparently a massive amount of the comments on Amazon are negative vis-a-vis the lack of extended cuts. I'm sure they look awesome, but I think I'll give 'em a miss.

It makes you wonder if NEW LINE (nee Warner Bros) even noticed.

maybe they'll notice when they come out and don't sell very well. the sad thing is, it really won't hurt them. people who won't buy these, will still buy the extended editions when they're finally released. and there will be enough people out there who buy both that they'll still make money off it.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:06 pm

Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby magicmonkey on Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:05 am

Its a sad and sorry state of affairs this, I think consumer players should have inbuilt "graphic equalisers" but actually for the picture, so you can just tune it to how you like it. I know the problem is more complex than this, and the article seems to blame dodgy CGI , which is strange cos if it was good enough for a presumable 4k scan than why does it suddenly look shit at 2k? Not having the pleasure yet of a HD player, I can't really comment on pro grain or grain removal, its a tricky one, but I would say if it was shot on film then leave the ferkin grain in there. Otherwise, I guess folk are gonna look like they just walked out of a Beverly hills surgery...
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:02 am

as long as they get the transfer right for the REAL versions of these films on blu-ray, i don't care.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby so sorry on Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:24 am

An interesting take on the transher issue from blu-ray.com.

Basically they say that FOTR's transfer was terrible, TT was better, and ROTK was very good.

AS with Baxter, I will ultimately hold out for the Extended Editions to purchase.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Thank you for your nice post!

Postby ranscie69 on Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:08 am

MOD EDIT: DELETED SHOE SALES SPAM!
ranscie69
GLIB

Re: Thank you for your nice post!

Postby Hermanator X on Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:22 am

Hobbits dont wear shoes. SPAM FAIL!
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

LOTR Extended Editions

Postby TheButcher on Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:41 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Ribbons on Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:24 am

Finally!
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Fievel on Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:13 am

Not gonna fall for it.

There's going to be some sort of Ultimate Edition once The Hobbit is released on BluRay.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:46 pm

Fievel wrote:Not gonna fall for it.

There's going to be some sort of Ultimate Edition once The Hobbit is released on BluRay.

I think you are referring to The Middle Earth Saga edition. Inside a hand-carved wooden box is an 18 disc set with maps of Middle Earth, a replica of the ring, an Aragon's sword letter opener, and its all held up by Bilbo and Frodo bookends. Just watching the extras will be a part time job.

I'm kidding but chances are someone at New Line is writing this down.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Peven on Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:19 pm

Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:
Fievel wrote:Not gonna fall for it.

I think you are referring to The Middle Earth Saga edition. Inside a hand-carved wooden box is an 18 disc set with maps of Middle Earth, a replica of the ring, an Aragon's sword letter opener, and its all held up by Bilbo and Frodo bookends. Just watching the extras will be a part time job.

I'm kidding but chances are someone at New Line is writing this down.

but what kind of wood? and is Aragorn's sword letter opener real silver or just silver plated?

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:04 pm

i'm holding out for the Super-Duper-extramegariffic edition that comes with a replica of gandalf's beard, some christopher lee toenail clippings (with certificate of authenticity), and a miniaturized clone of john rhys-davies in his dwarf makeup, all delivered to you personally at your residence by a couple of hot NZ girls wearing bikinis and elf ears.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby ufoclub1977 on Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:46 pm

Well in all honesty I think the best iteration of this version of the Lord of the Rings is somewhere in between the theatrical cut and the extended home cuts on all three movies.

Recently viewing the extended cut of Fellowship of the Ring even reduced a friend - who would spontaneously and seriously pre-empt key dialogue with his own voiced version - to sleep.
ufoclub1977
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Peven on Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:45 am

then they don't appreciate a great cut of a movie, or maybe they should do nap time first, because the EE of FOTR is probably the best of the three films, either theatrical or EE cut. sounds like they don't really respect the material in the first place if they are constantly talking over it anyway, so they are hardly any sort of accurate barometer of the quality of the film

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby ufoclub1977 on Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:03 pm

Peven wrote:then they don't appreciate a great cut of a movie, or maybe they should do nap time first, because the EE of FOTR is probably the best of the three films, either theatrical or EE cut. sounds like they don't really respect the material in the first place if they are constantly talking over it anyway, so they are hardly any sort of accurate barometer of the quality of the film

Naw, they had probably seen the theatrical one a zillion times, or more likely, had read the books many times. Total enthusiasts. There are some good moments in the extended versions, but in some cases the extended scenes weaken the drive of the film especially if the content is either too sidetracked, or the scene itself wasn't put together in the best way. I really believe that a version that is somewhere in between would be great.

But, all in all, I personally will hold off on the blu-ray purchase until the longer cuts come out, because I'm kind of past looking at it as a functional film, but more as a travelogue, or immersive experience that is not about plot, but more about details. And I do think some of the added material is great stuff.
ufoclub1977
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Peven on Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:55 pm

considering the amount of story that is condensed into the film i really don't understand why someone would want less. real enthusiasts of the books complain about things that were left out as it is. seriously, if someone doesn't like long films the issue is with them, not the film. that is like complaining about "Gone With The Wind' being too long and wanting it cut shorter because your attention span can't handle watching something without action every 2 minutes. i am grateful that there are film-makers who don't walk in step with the 3-minute-single cookie-cutter mentality of movie-making. LOTR is a dense, expansive story and requires a lot of time to give it any real justice, it isn't as if Jackson was making shit up to fill time, even the EE's don't cover all of the elements of the story the books do. personally speaking, Jackson could have made and released a 5 hour cut of each film and i would have bought them.

now, if you were talking about "Alien 3" not needing an EE I would totally agree, the theatrical cut was slow and dragging enough as it is and didn't have the excuse of trying to honor any source material either, it was slow and boring born from an unearned sense of self-importance...

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Fried Gold on Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:23 pm

ufoclub1977 wrote:Naw, they had probably seen the theatrical one a zillion times, or more likely, had read the books many times. Total enthusiasts. There are some good moments in the extended versions, but in some cases the extended scenes weaken the drive of the film especially if the content is either too sidetracked, or the scene itself wasn't put together in the best way. I really believe that a version that is somewhere in between would be great.

But, all in all, I personally will hold off on the blu-ray purchase until the longer cuts come out, because I'm kind of past looking at it as a functional film, but more as a travelogue, or immersive experience that is not about plot, but more about details. And I do think some of the added material is great stuff.

- I don't mind either version of Fellowship of the Ring. The theatrical stands on it's own, and the extended is just a bonus.
- The extended version of The Two Towers is an improvement - it needed that extra material, especially when you link it to the next film.
- I really didn't need an extended version of Return of the King. Although the extra bits with the Mouth of Sauron are rather good.

...so I understand what you mean when you say that the best version would be "somewhere in between".
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Nachokoolaid on Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:24 pm

The biggest mistake PJ made, and I think he realizes it too, was not having Saruman's death in the theatres. It's great on the DVD, and I think Lee earned that since PJ promised him it would be in ROTK.

I think it should have been Gollum leading the hobbits on. Pan up through to the forests to Orthanc. Saruman impaled on a spike. Quick cut to black. Credits. I think that would have been badass.

Or at the least, I would have opened ROTK with that after the Deagol murder scene. We didn't need to see more of Frodo and Sam. We got plenty to build their relationship.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Peven on Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:42 pm

I haven't bothered to watch the theatrical cuts since the EE's came out for each film, and have since considered the EE's as the "real" versions as far as I was concerned and the theatrical cuts as abbreviated cuts

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Fievel on Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:29 pm

Peven wrote:I haven't bothered to watch the theatrical cuts since the EE's came out for each film, and have since considered the EE's as the "real" versions as far as I was concerned and the theatrical cuts as abbreviated cuts

Agreed. I'm waiting to buy the BluRay MegaUltimateExtendedDirector's Cut Box Set when The Hobbit is done and released. Maybe PJ will go back and edit in Tom Bombadil and the Scouring of the Shire..... but use Muppets.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Peven on Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:08 am

Fievel wrote:
Peven wrote:I haven't bothered to watch the theatrical cuts since the EE's came out for each film, and have since considered the EE's as the "real" versions as far as I was concerned and the theatrical cuts as abbreviated cuts

Agreed. I'm waiting to buy the BluRay MegaUltimateExtendedDirector's Cut Box Set when The Hobbit is done and released. Maybe PJ will go back and edit in Tom Bombadil and the Scouring of the Shire..... but use Muppets.

I have watched all three EE's in a row several times so far already, taking up an entire Saturday or Sunday to do so and it is quite an unmatched immersive cinematic experience, i can only imagine what it is going to be like adding the EE's of the two Hobbit films to that line-up....
Last edited by Peven on Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Fievel on Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:14 am

Peven wrote:
Fievel wrote:

I have watched all three EE's in a row several times so far already, taking up and entire Saturday or Sunday to do so and it is quite an unmatched immersive cinematic experience, i can only imagine what it is going to be like adding the EE's of the two Hobbit films to that line-up....

Your body will reduce in height and your feet will become ultra hairy.
But seriously, it will be difficult and amazing all at once.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Peven on Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:17 am

Fievel wrote:
Peven wrote:
Fievel wrote:

I have watched all three EE's in a row several times so far already, taking up an entire Saturday or Sunday to do so and it is quite an unmatched immersive cinematic experience, i can only imagine what it is going to be like adding the EE's of the two Hobbit films to that line-up....

Your body will reduce in height and your feet will become ultra hairy.
But seriously, it will be difficult and amazing all at once.

20 years ago i would have dropped a blotter before doing it......those were the days

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby sonnyboo on Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:20 pm

Got the email this morning

http://amzn.com/B0026L7H20
sonnyboo
REAL DRAGON

Return to DVD / Blu-ray