BOOTLEGS

Betamax and beyond

BOOTLEGS

Postby sonnyboo on Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:13 pm

I am an avid fan of the bootleg, although officially speaking I may or may not own any bootleg DVD's of any copywritten content... With the near final cut of WOLVERINE out there so fervently, what about other bootlegs of the ages? Usually going to comic book or sci fi conventions, some guy(s) have a booth set up and they sell DVD-R media of hard to find or otherwise unofficial copies of movies, shorts, TV shows, and other similar media of interest to the fan boys.

I've got a VHS of mediocre quality of the abortion known as the STAR WARS HOLIDAY SPECIAL. I heard some yahoo actually digitally restored this garbage himself and it looks amazing. I would only want the animated segment with all the original voices, but they can keep all the Mark Hamill eyeliner moments & Carrie Fisher singing in the vault.

I just saw for the first time, the assembly cut of THIS IS SPINAL TAP at over 4 hours long. This didn't even have the interviews from the band about their history and album covers in the final cut of the film explaining what happened to most of their original drummers. I had heard of bands and rock stars like Sting and Def Leppard having VHS copies of this edit and playing them constantly on tour buses in the 1980's and early 1990's. I thought it was mythical, but it ain't and I've seen it mine own self. I read someone review this and said the tour of Japan was 40+ minutes of that cut, but my copy ended there. Anyone seen this footage?

I'm due to see the assembly of APOCALYPSE NOW that is similarly 4 hours long. Since I've seen the 2 other cuts, this should be interesting....anyone seen it? Opinions?

I also obtained an NTSC dub of the PAL originated EDGE OF BLADE RUNNER documentary that was NOT included in the 5 DVD sets of BLADE RUNNER. This was produced in the UK and was the definitive BEHIND THE SCENES look at the movie until the new documentaries surpassed it. There is still plenty of material and interviews that make this a gem.

What other cinema legends exist in the bootleg world?

What are your favorite bootleg, unofficial releases?

* This is in no way an endorsement of copyright violation, but merely a discussion about the topic..
sonnyboo
REAL DRAGON

Re: BOOTLEGS

Postby travis-dane on Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:42 am

I still have my copy of the very first Fantastic Four movie....

it is better then the "real" FF movies. Nobody beats Corman.
-
Lesbian Nazi Hookers Abducted by UFOs and Forced Into Weight Loss Programs!
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby sonnyboo on Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:36 pm

Did the original CAPTAIN AMERICA ever get an official release? I've seen that too.
sonnyboo
REAL DRAGON

Postby travis-dane on Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:48 pm

sonnyboo wrote:Did the original CAPTAIN AMERICA ever get an official release? I've seen that too.

They showed it in Germany, it was a Cannon movie right?
I think it was even in Cinemas around here.
-
Lesbian Nazi Hookers Abducted by UFOs and Forced Into Weight Loss Programs!
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby sonnyboo on Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:29 pm

There was a teaser One sheer for Captain America in cinemas here, but I don't think it ever got a theatrical release. I saw a bootleg VHS of it years ago and it SUCKED ASS, but it was a Captain America movie in live action. I think it might have actually gotten a broadcast in the U.S..... I just can't remember clearly.
sonnyboo
REAL DRAGON

Postby DennisMM on Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:51 pm

Supposedly, Captain America showed in some Spanish-language cinemas in NYC, one or two, and was dumped in another market or two briefly. But that was all. I rented it when it hit videotape and eventually recorded it from cable.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby spock of the walk on Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:24 am

are yall referring to the 1990 captin america with ned beatty? i saw it on vhs back in the early 90s.
"He told me he understood, but I could see it in his eyes that he didn't. He was lying to me."
spock of the walk
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Jabbadonut on Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:38 am

I have a bootleg copy of Star Wars, Episode III, that I got 2 weeks after the theatrical release of the film. I also bought the DVD when it was released, to ease my guilty conscience. I swear the bootleg copy (made by a guy at my work) has some extra footage in it. It is actually pretty decent. It has the time running across the top, though, but it is widescreen. I think it was copied from a screener DVD.
Look! Even Steve is throwing chocolate snowballs . . . oh . . .
Jabbadonut
REAL DRAGON

Return to DVD / Blu-ray