Star Trek (2009) on DVD and Blu-Ray

Betamax and beyond

Star Trek (2009) on DVD and Blu-Ray

Postby Worst Part's Almost Over on Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:13 pm

Glad they used that for the DVD cover!

The 2 disc edition sounds well worth having. Plenty of documentaries and such. And this is the list of deleted scenes included:

Spock Birth
Klingons Take Over Narada
Young Kirk, Johnny and Uncle Frank
Amanda and Sarek Argue After Spock Fights
Prison Interrogation and Breakout
Sarek Gets Amanda
Dorm Room and Kobayashi Maru (original version)
Kirk Apologizes to the Green Girl
Sarek Sees Spock

Are we actually going to see JJ's take on our favourite cornish-pasty-headed aliens?!
Worst Part's Almost Over
AIRWOLF

Re: Star Trek (2009) on DVD and Blu-Ray

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:30 pm

Worst Part's Almost Over wrote:Are we actually going to see JJ's take on our favourite cornish-pasty-headed aliens?!

That would also include the "Prison Interrogation and Breakout" scene too.

I've seen both of these covers advertised:

ImageImage

...probably different to the 1 and 2 disc editions.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Worst Part's Almost Over on Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:54 pm

Fried Gold wrote:I've seen both of these covers advertised

Which one do you prefer mate?
Worst Part's Almost Over
AIRWOLF

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:07 pm

I would have preferred this:

Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Vicar on Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:48 pm

MUCH better than those other two pieces of shite.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby spock of the walk on Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:07 am

i really want to see the klingon scenes. cant wait for nov 22
"He told me he understood, but I could see it in his eyes that he didn't. He was lying to me."
spock of the walk
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby MainTitle on Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:39 am

Australia seems to be one of the foreign territories that has been able to release the movie ahead of you statesiders.

This is my first post and I hail from Melbourne which is the capital of the state of Victoria.

Let me assure you that the Blu ray edition of this title will blow you away! The picture and sound quality (Dolby 5.1 True HD) is nothing less than stunning. I saw the movie twice on its theatrical run (once in IMAX format) and this disc is so much better in terms of picture and sound. True nothing compares with a big screen cinema format but with a decent screen at home and great sound system I think, like me you guys will be very impressed with this offering.

Here in Australia the Blu ray edition has the three leads on the cover (Uhura, Kirk and Spock) and is a 3-disc Special Edition with a Digital Copy that allows the user to download a lower-resolution version to their computer if they so desire.

The commentary track with Director J.J. Abrams is alot of fun and quite informative. The extras disc contains more than what you expect and also shows what a lot of fun this movie would have been if you were there making it. There's a gag reel, many featurettes on Casting, Props and Costumes, Sound Effects and Scoring in addition to a making of doco amongst deleted scenes and other gems worthy of inclusion. One of the highlights is a little speech that Leonard Nimoy gives at the end of his final night of filming and its quite emotional. Says how he hadn't acted as Spock in 18 years and it was 42 years since the show began (well guess he isn't including the 1964 Pilot in which he appeared). Quite touching actually. Brought a lump to this viewer's throat I can assure you.

Overall I rate the movie 5/5 and the presentation on BD is flawless so I am also giving it a 5/5

I am sure once it is released in the U.S. that Paramount will be pleased with the sales potential of this title.
MainTitle
GLIB

Postby Nick on Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:11 am

Great Blu-ray, well worth the $20

There is an interview on the extras Blu-ray disk where JJ Abrams talked about how much he liked shaking the camera and doing lens flares by shining flashlights into the camera.

Why do we let him make movies again?
-nick
Nick
AICN Crew

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:49 am

From the gaffneyed scenes on the DVD, you can clearly seen the reasoning behind cutting them. Except for one - Team Nero's story with the Klingons. Regardless of what test audiences said, I think it was a mistake to remove it.

The key thing that's annoyed me about the DVD is what they left out, just to make the Blu-Ray disc seem better. Why, Paramount, are the two 9GB DVDs in the box only being filled with 6Gb of stuff?
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Nick on Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:23 am

Fried Gold wrote:The key thing that's annoyed me about the DVD is what they left out, just to make the Blu-Ray disc seem better. Why, Paramount, are the two 9GB DVDs in the box only being filled with 6Gb of stuff?

Which really doesn't make a lot of sense... the 2 disk Star Trek DVD costs $20 on Amazon and the 3 disk BD (1 being a DVD) also costs $20... Even if you are doing it in a massive volume BDs cost more to make/develop/license so Paramount makes more money on the DVD version

Plus you spend all this money on making the documentaries and such... just seems like a waste

Although Blu-ray players are pretty inexpensive... BDP-S560 is $145 now and w/a USB stick you can get BD-Live on it (and do network firmware updates)
-nick
Nick
AICN Crew

Postby Fried Gold on Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:44 am

Nick wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:The key thing that's annoyed me about the DVD is what they left out, just to make the Blu-Ray disc seem better. Why, Paramount, are the two 9GB DVDs in the box only being filled with 6Gb of stuff?

Which really doesn't make a lot of sense... the 2 disk Star Trek DVD costs $20 on Amazon and the 3 disk BD (1 being a DVD) also costs $20... Even if you are doing it in a massive volume BDs cost more to make/develop/license so Paramount makes more money on the DVD version

Plus you spend all this money on making the documentaries and such... just seems like a waste

It sticks two fingers up at people legally buying their film. Screwing proper consumers over, just because they want to flog the new tech, is going to push people away. It also suggests they are having trouble selling the discs solely on the premise of "the picture looks a bit better, yo". They are still not actually making full use of the space on the Blu-ray disc as everything, apart from the BD-live content, could have fitted on the 2 DVDs.

Although Blu-ray players are pretty inexpensive... BDP-S560 is $145 now and w/a USB stick you can get BD-Live on it (and do network firmware updates)

You have to do firmware updates? On a disc player?
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Nick on Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:23 am

Fried Gold wrote:You have to do firmware updates? On a disc player?

Various features are introduced over time so you don't always have to buy new hardware when something new comes out.
-nick
Nick
AICN Crew

Return to DVD / Blu-ray