Watchmen - triple dip extravaganza!

Betamax and beyond

Watchmen - triple dip extravaganza!

Postby sonnyboo on Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:21 pm

Okay. So I liked the theatrical cut a lot, but knowing out of the gate that a director's cut was en route, I did not buy it on Blu Ray. A friend bought the director's cut, so I borrowed it. Thought this was WAY better than the theatrical cut, which I liked a lot anyways.

Have not yet seen the ULTIMATE CUT, but I have rented and seen the TALES OF THE BLACK FREIGHTER blu ray. I can't imagine this cutting into the movie that well.

Who here has seen the WATCHMEN ULTIMATE CUT? What did you think of it? Is there more live action added to the movie than the Director's Cut?
sonnyboo
REAL DRAGON

Re: Watchmen - triple dip extravaganza!

Postby Nachokoolaid on Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:59 pm

I saw it. I enjoyed it, and I thought the Black Freighter stuff was cut in okay. It made the deaths of the newspaper stand guy and the black kid a little more meaningful because they had larger roles.

And I'm pretty sure this is getting moved the the Watchmen thread where it belongs.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Fried Gold on Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:59 pm

It felt more complete with the additional material. However I felt it somewhat pointless - if you're going to stick that closely to the comic, one might as well just go and read the comic.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby sonnyboo on Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:57 pm

So the only live action footage added to the ULTIMATE CUT was of the kid reading Black Freighter and the newspaper stand guy?
sonnyboo
REAL DRAGON

Postby Brocktune on Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:53 pm

yes. at least, that i remember. even streched out to 4+ hours, i actually enjoy the ultimate cut even more than i enjoyed the directors cut, which i enjoyed even more than the theatrical cut, which i also enjoyed. although the inclusion of the black freighter shit does feel a little forced, and doesnt exactly integrate completely seamlessly into the picture. well not at first anyway. it gets less jarring as the movie progresses. in addition, the live action segues into the animated sequences feel a little stiff as well. but its not enough to sideline ones enjoyment. i mean shit, if you are sitting down to watch the very lengthy ultimate cut, chances are you are already a fan anyways, and arent likely to change your mind much on the movie no matter how cheeseball they may seem. but when that kid and newspaper kid died, thanks to the new footage, their deaths went from hilarious, to gut-wrenching. ;)
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Nachokoolaid on Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:34 pm

I never saw the "director's cut," but I jumped straight from the theatrical to the Ultimate, so I don't know if it's in the director's or not, but my favorite scene in the entire film now is when Hollis Mason fights the punks. That was such a badass scene, and I think it was one where Snyder actually improved over the comic. So that's my favorite addition.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby MacCready on Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:28 pm

I wish that scene HAD been in the theatrical release - it was indeed very, very cool.
MacCready
MAN IN SUIT

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:26 am

sonnyboo wrote:So the only live action footage added to the ULTIMATE CUT was of the kid reading Black Freighter and the newspaper stand guy?

Yep.

Ultimate Cut = Director's Cut + Black Freighter bits + newsagent transitions
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MacCready on Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:01 am

I don't need the Black Freighter stuff - especially since it loses all relevance to the climax to the end of the story as Snyder shot it. No weird space vagina monster? What's the point of the Black Freighter then? The story ends up having nothing to do with the rest of the film, and only serves to break up the narrative flow.
MacCready
MAN IN SUIT

Postby DennisMM on Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:59 pm

I got the Ultimate Cut for Christmas. Otherwise I would have passed. Once again, the quality has improved over the previous version, but it's still not a particularly good movie.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Return to DVD / Blu-ray