WhyTF is there no The Big Lebowski Blu-ray???

Betamax and beyond

WhyTF is there no The Big Lebowski Blu-ray???

Postby braddavery on Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:14 pm

What is this? It was on HD DVD, but they can't get it onto Blu-ray after YEARS have gone-by? What the hell is taking so long?
braddavery
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Re: WhyTF is there no The Big Lebowski Blu-ray???

Postby tapehead on Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:31 am

I think Lebowski is a Universal title and they were the only Studio that was backing the HD DVD format, so they aren't the best at keeping up with releasing stuff on Blu Ray. Further, the HD DVD release of Lebowski was notoriously poor, mostly due to some fairly shitty edge enhancement techniques in the encoding.

edit: hang on, seems there is a Blu Ray, at least in some regions.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby braddavery on Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:20 am

I saw that, but it's an expensive Italian release. I just want the wide-release American copy that should have been around for years now. It's my favorite film and it's quite absurd that it's taking so long.
braddavery
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Fried Gold on Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:45 am

How will seeing in it high definition change your view of the film? If it's your favourite, just go watch it on DVD.

(also, you already posted this same question in September on the Digital Spy forums. Stop moaning.)
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Peven on Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:56 am

really, how would a movie like this be served any better by seeing it on Blu-ray??? :? :roll:

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby braddavery on Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:23 pm

Fried Gold wrote:How will seeing in it high definition change your view of the film? If it's your favourite, just go watch it on DVD.

(also, you already posted this same question in September on the Digital Spy forums. Stop moaning.)

Gee, maybe because I'm looking for pertinent info as to whether it will be out soon on Blu-ray. What is it to you that I want the Blu-ray. I don't even have a DVD player, a-hole. Stop being such a tool.
braddavery
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby braddavery on Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:25 pm

Peven wrote:really, how would a movie like this be served any better by seeing it on Blu-ray??? :? :roll:

Because I don't have a DVD player, genius. And even if I did, it's my choice to want the Blu-ray. What is it to you. This forum seems ripe with fun and interesting characters. /end sarcasm I guess the search is still on for a good movies forum.
braddavery
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby braddavery on Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:28 pm

I mean, seriously. Giving someone grief over wanting their favorite film on Blu-ray and asking when it will be released? lol How pathetic.
braddavery
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby TonyWilson on Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:43 pm

For what it's worth Brad, I'm with you. Every Coen Bros movie needs a Blu Ray release as they are some of the greatest visual directors of all time. Personally I'm holding out for the Criterion Blu Ray of this badboy.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby Fried Gold on Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:53 pm

braddavery wrote:
Peven wrote:really, how would a movie like this be served any better by seeing it on Blu-ray??? :? :roll:

Because I don't have a DVD player, genius. And even if I did, it's my choice to want the Blu-ray. What is it to you. This forum seems ripe with fun and interesting characters. /end sarcasm I guess the search is still on for a good movies forum.

Most Blu-ray players are generally backwards compatible with DVDs, and so you could still watch the film while waiting for an HD release.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TonyWilson on Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:56 pm

Upscaling is a bit shit though, FG, you have to admit.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby Fried Gold on Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:08 pm

TonyWilson wrote:Upscaling is a bit shit though, FG, you have to admit.

If one likes the film that much I'm sure one could cope, with or without upscaling.

It's not like the film gets better because you can see individual hair follicles in the Dude's beard.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby braddavery on Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:14 pm

Fried Gold wrote:

If one likes the film that much I'm sure one could cope, with or without upscaling.

It's not like the film gets better because you can see individual hair follicles in the Dude's beard.

Who said it will be better? lol I simply want it in the best available format, the format my entire film collection is in. All my movies are Blu-ray, I don't want a freaking DVD sitting there just because YOU don't give a shit. I always get a kick out of people who make it their business what other people do with their lives. If I want The Big Lebowski on Blu-ray, WTF do you care.
braddavery
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Peven on Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:29 pm

if you don't want to see other people's opinions about stuff maybe you shouldn't post and read things on a public message board.... :roll:

this is a place where people exchange their points of view, different or otherwise, and if you can't handle it i suggest you go back to talking to yourself, that way you don't won't ever have to deal with a differing opinion...

plus, you added to the clutter of the board by creating an entire thread for one minute subject. talk about narcissistic. someone more considerate and concerned with making a good impression on a public forum like this might have taken the time to look through and see we discourage such waste of space and have threads for random type shit like this....

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby tapehead on Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:56 pm

You want a Blu Ray? I can get you a Blu Ray, believe me. There are ways, Dude. You don't wanna know about it, believe me.
Hell, I can get you a Blu Ray by 3 o'clock this afternoon... with extras.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby braddavery on Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:19 pm

Peven wrote:if you don't want to see other people's opinions about stuff maybe you shouldn't post and read things on a public message board.... :roll:

this is a place where people exchange their points of view, different or otherwise, and if you can't handle it i suggest you go back to talking to yourself, that way you don't won't ever have to deal with a differing opinion...

plus, you added to the clutter of the board by creating an entire thread for one minute subject. talk about narcissistic. someone more considerate and concerned with making a good impression on a public forum like this might have taken the time to look through and see we discourage such waste of space and have threads for random type shit like this....

It's wrong to start a thread about a Blu-ray in a forum SPECIFICALLY meant for discussion of Blu-ray and DVD. Wow. You are a freaking genius. Seriously. And difference of opinion? How is telling me I shouldn't need or want the Blu-ray in a Blu-ray forum a valid opinion. It's just antagonistic bullshit. You need to get out more, son. Clutter of the board is funny. There isn't much traffic in this particular forum, so you are simply being an idiot. Got anything else, oh geeky one?
braddavery
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby minstrel on Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:26 pm

Look, braddavery, it's fine if you want to talk about The Big Lebowski or Blu-Rays or whatever. Or even Meshuggah, in that other thread. But be aware that this is a forum full of opinionated people who are used to expressing their opinions. Insulting long-time members won't make you many friends around here. Peven has been here for five years. Many of the rest of us have been here for as long, if not longer. You just joined yesterday. You're welcome to participate, but look around a bit, get the feel of the place, and have a little respect.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Fried Gold on Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:28 pm

braddavery wrote:I simply want it in the best available format

Unless your BD player can play HD-DVDs (I think some could do this, but it might've been phased out) then a DVD of the film is currently the best available format.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby braddavery on Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:46 pm

minstrel wrote:Look, braddavery, it's fine if you want to talk about The Big Lebowski or Blu-Rays or whatever. Or even Meshuggah, in that other thread. But be aware that this is a forum full of opinionated people who are used to expressing their opinions. Insulting long-time members won't make you many friends around here. Peven has been here for five years. Many of the rest of us have been here for as long, if not longer. You just joined yesterday. You're welcome to participate, but look around a bit, get the feel of the place, and have a little respect.

You have to earn respect, buddy. I don't give it to those who immediately antagonize me. I don't play games. I'm here for discussion, not to be trolled. If I want a Blu-ray, I want a freaking Blu-ray. To childishly be told I'm "moaning" because I would like to have The Big Lebowski on Blu-ray is ABSURD and I will speak what's on my mind. I don't get pushed-around. I'm not new to message boards and how they work. I came here to discuss, not to defend what I like or why I like things to antagonistic trolls.
braddavery
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby DennisMM on Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:23 pm

You don't appear to be discussing at all. You merely moaned that there is not a BD of this rather ordinary film, moaned that all your other movies are on BD and you don't want to have to own a regular DVD to see this film. You neither offered suggestions as to why you thought there is not a BD nor invited suggestions on why or on how to bring about the release of a BD. You just moaned.

Whether you are new to message boards or not matters not a whit. This is The Zone, pal. You're on terra nova.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby The Vicar on Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:47 pm

braddavery wrote:
minstrel wrote:Look, braddavery, it's fine if you want to talk about The Big Lebowski or Blu-Rays or whatever. Or even Meshuggah, in that other thread. But be aware that this is a forum full of opinionated people who are used to expressing their opinions. Insulting long-time members won't make you many friends around here. Peven has been here for five years. Many of the rest of us have been here for as long, if not longer. You just joined yesterday. You're welcome to participate, but look around a bit, get the feel of the place, and have a little respect.

You have to earn respect, buddy. I don't give it to those who immediately antagonize me. I don't play games. I'm here for discussion, not to be trolled. If I want a Blu-ray, I want a freaking Blu-ray. To childishly be told I'm "moaning" because I would like to have The Big Lebowski on Blu-ray is ABSURD and I will speak what's on my mind. I don't get pushed-around. I'm not new to message boards and how they work. I came here to discuss, not to defend what I like or why I like things to antagonistic trolls.

No, you're a disrespectful little shitstain who does not seem to have any other purpose apart from acting like an immature twat. What are you, 14? Minstrel did nothing to insult you or pick at your opinion and you attempt to wipe your ass with him.
Minstrel doesn't need to "earn" your respect cause frankly, from the way you have comported yourself since you've arrived, you're not worth the effort and your respect would be meaningless.
You have a big mouth, bad attitude and are not interested in conversation or debate.
Stop posting here and wasting everybody's time.
Your story has become tiresome. Go away.

I apologize to my fellow Zoners for, in a fashion, violating the No Hate, Just Debate credo. This dolt is not debating. He is not contributing. He's like some rude drunk who wanders into someone else's party, insults the invited guests and pisses on the carpet.
We need this since when?
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby Peven on Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:07 am

braddavery wrote:
Peven wrote:if you don't want to see other people's opinions about stuff maybe you shouldn't post and read things on a public message board.... :roll:

It's wrong to start a thread about a Blu-ray in a forum SPECIFICALLY meant for discussion of Blu-ray and DVD. Wow. You are a freaking genius. Seriously. And difference of opinion? How is telling me I shouldn't need or want the Blu-ray in a Blu-ray forum a valid opinion. It's just antagonistic bullshit. You need to get out more, son. Clutter of the board is funny. There isn't much traffic in this particular forum, so you are simply being an idiot. Got anything else, oh geeky one?

"oh geeky one"?? :lol: holy shit, I have been called A LOT of things on here over the last 5 years but that is a new one, I kind of like it :-P

to start with, I ASKED a question, and you couldn't handle the question, got your little boy underoos in a twist and tried puffing out your pre-pubescent chest and started smack-talking, as if you actually thought coming into a forum like this talking shit to people was going to earn respect instead of disdain. and dude, if you even had a fucking clue just how much of an asshole you have to act like to get people here to go out of their way in my defense at all.......as Jeremy Irons once said, actually twice if you include "The Lion King",...."You have no idea".......you're just lucky you didn't insult one of the "elders" :wink:

so buck up, little camper, take the chip off your shoulder and get the fuck over it and try to acquire a little something called perspective, i questioned your rationality in ranting over needing a blu-ray of a certain movie, on an interweb message board, it isn't like i said anything about your mother....and let me tell you i could have, because that is one WILD chick :-P :lol:

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby braddavery on Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:26 am

The Vicar wrote:
braddavery wrote:

No, you're a disrespectful little shitstain who does not seem to have any other purpose apart from acting like an immature twat. What are you, 14? Minstrel did nothing to insult you or pick at your opinion and you attempt to wipe your ass with him.
Minstrel doesn't need to "earn" your respect cause frankly, from the way you have comported yourself since you've arrived, you're not worth the effort and your respect would be meaningless.
You have a big mouth, bad attitude and are not interested in conversation or debate.
Stop posting here and wasting everybody's time.
Your story has become tiresome. Go away.

I apologize to my fellow Zoners for, in a fashion, violating the No Hate, Just Debate credo. This dolt is not debating. He is not contributing. He's like some rude drunk who wanders into someone else's party, insults the invited guests and pisses on the carpet.
We need this since when?

You think the carpet pissers did this?
braddavery
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby braddavery on Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:28 am

Peven wrote:
braddavery wrote:

"oh geeky one"?? :lol: holy shit, I have been called A LOT of things on here over the last 5 years but that is a new one, I kind of like it :-P

to start with, I ASKED a question, and you couldn't handle the question, got your little boy underoos in a twist and tried puffing out your pre-pubescent chest and started smack-talking, as if you actually thought coming into a forum like this talking shit to people was going to earn respect instead of disdain. and dude, if you even had a fucking clue just how much of an asshole you have to act like to get people here to go out of their way in my defense at all.......as Jeremy Irons once said, actually twice if you include "The Lion King",...."You have no idea".......you're just lucky you didn't insult one of the "elders" :wink:

so buck up, little camper, take the chip off your shoulder and get the fuck over it and try to acquire a little something called perspective, i questioned your rationality in ranting over needing a blu-ray of a certain movie, on an interweb message board, it isn't like i said anything about your mother....and let me tell you i could have, because that is one WILD chick :-P :lol:

Are you done crying? lol Jesus, what a bunch of babies. "Who does this guy think he is, wanting a Blu-ray of a movie. What an a-hole!" :lol:
braddavery
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:11 am

A summary of this thread, before it gets locked away in the Zone-Vaults:

- I want a Blu-Ray copy of The Big Lebowski. Why isn't there one?
- Likely something to do with release rights issues.
- I want a Blu-Ray copy. Why isn't there one? You are all a-holes. lols
- Maybe you could try a DVD copy, or perhaps the HDDVD version, until a Blu-ray version is released.
- I want Blu-Ray copy. I don't have a DVD player, a-holes. lols
- Blu-ray players play things other than Blu-ray discs.
- You are all a-holes. lols. And I wants a Blu-ray version.
- Maybe you could contact Warner Home Video and ask for information.
- I demand respect, a-holes.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby braddavery on Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:53 pm

Fried Gold wrote:A summary of this thread, before it gets locked away in the Zone-Vaults:

- I want a Blu-Ray copy of The Big Lebowski. Why isn't there one?
- Likely something to do with release rights issues.
you forgot one - You posted this on another movie forum. Stop moaning about it.
-- I want a Blu-Ray copy. Why isn't there one? You are all a-holes. lols
- Maybe you could try a DVD copy, or perhaps the HDDVD version, until a Blu-ray version is released.
- I want Blu-Ray copy. I don't have a DVD player, a-holes. lols
- Blu-ray players play things other than Blu-ray discs.
- You are all a-holes. lols. And I wants a Blu-ray version.
- Maybe you could contact Warner Home Video and ask for information.
- I demand respect, a-holes.

I always love when douchebags don't realize they are douchebags. I love how you conveniently forgot to add in all the douchey replies that I received that my posts were in response to, but hey, what do I respect. Apparently this is one of them forums where there are like 10 guys who are uber-douches who pile-on new people simply for posting about forum specific topics. What a waste of time. Sorry that I even came here.
braddavery
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby braddavery on Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:57 pm

Fried Gold wrote:How will seeing in it high definition change your view of the film? If it's your favourite, just go watch it on DVD.

And thanks for bringing this up (even if it was meant to be underhanded and antagonistic). I posted that in August, and there is STILL no TBL Blu-ray. I figured it might be released around Christmas. Guess not. Years later...
braddavery
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:18 pm

braddavery wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:

Who said it will be better? lol I simply want it in the best available format, the format my entire film collection is in. All my movies are Blu-ray, I don't want a freaking DVD sitting there just because YOU don't give a shit. I always get a kick out of people who make it their business what other people do with their lives. If I want The Big Lebowski on Blu-ray, WTF do you care.

so wait... this guy has no DVDs? what, did you just go straight from VHS to Blu-Ray? or were you still holding out that laserdisc would make a comeback? you're so concerned with getting the best available format, that you never bothered to get a DVD player for the, oh, 10 years or so that that was the best available format? or you decided to throw away every DVD you had as soon as you bought a BR player because you just couldn't bear to look at such a shitty looking format anymore, nevermind that the number of films available on BR is still just a small fraction of what is out on DVD?
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Hermanator X on Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:20 pm

braddavery wrote:I saw that, but it's an expensive Italian release. I just want the wide-release American copy that should have been around for years now. It's my favorite film and it's quite absurd that it's taking so long.

Personally, if it was my favourite movie, and had been spending so long waiting and wondering about it, I would pony up for the Italian release.
If it was my absolute fave (its up there for me, and I still have it on HD DVD and will as long as the player keeps working) then having "Il Grande Lebowski" on my shelf would be pretty cool.

Prices are from 12 to 22 euros, which isnt really that much (plus shipping) Link
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby braddavery on Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:33 pm

Hermanator X wrote:
braddavery wrote:I saw that, but it's an expensive Italian release. I just want the wide-release American copy that should have been around for years now. It's my favorite film and it's quite absurd that it's taking so long.

Personally, if it was my favourite movie, and had been spending so long waiting and wondering about it, I would pony up for the Italian release.
If it was my absolute fave (its up there for me, and I still have it on HD DVD and will as long as the player keeps working) then having "Il Grande Lebowski" on my shelf would be pretty cool.

Prices are from 12 to 22 euros, which isnt really that much (plus shipping) Link

Sorry, I don't want to pay $40+ American for a different region Blu-ray that won't play in my Blu-ray player. I don't normally mind waiting, but it has been SO long. I also want the Lord of the Rings Director's Cut trilogy on Blu-ray. Does that make me a bad person too?
braddavery
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby minstrel on Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:34 pm

braddavery wrote:I always love when douchebags don't realize they are douchebags.

Looked in a mirror lately?

braddavery wrote:I love how you conveniently forgot to add in all the douchey replies that I received that my posts were in response to, but hey, what do I respect. Apparently this is one of them forums where there are like 10 guys who are uber-douches who pile-on new people simply for posting about forum specific topics.

If you took time to look around, you'd see that this is one of "them" forums where it's customary for newcomers to post in the Welcome thread, where they generally get a warm reception. New people don't get "piled on" unless they do something to deserve it. You deserved it. It's not because you posted about wanting a Big Lebowski Blu-Ray, it's the way you responded to the people who offered possible reasons why there isn't one. Your tone, even in your first post in this thread, is confrontational and angry (the "WhyTF" in the thread title, for instance). What kind of responses were you expecting? Did you want us to all march on the studio demanding a Blu-Ray NOW? Should we all have signed a petition somewhere? You got the responses you should have expected - the initial question doesn't have much in the way of discussion possibilities, anyway ("Why isn't there a TBL Blu-Ray?" "Gee, I don't know, but there isn't one." Pretty much end of discussion.).

But you jumped all over those who responded. I suggested you have a little respect, and you said respect has to be earned. Around here we're usually kind enough to show respect as a default position, but let's play it your way: When and how are you going to start earning our respect? Because you're in a serious respect deficit now.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby braddavery on Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:36 pm

TheBaxter wrote:
braddavery wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:

so wait... this guy has no DVDs? what, did you just go straight from VHS to Blu-Ray? or were you still holding out that laserdisc would make a comeback? you're so concerned with getting the best available format, that you never bothered to get a DVD player for the, oh, 10 years or so that that was the best available format? or you decided to throw away every DVD you had as soon as you bought a BR player because you just couldn't bear to look at such a shitty looking format anymore, nevermind that the number of films available on BR is still just a small fraction of what is out on DVD?

Is it really a big deal that I like consistency? My ENTIRE movie collection is Blu-ray, why would I want a DVD of my favorite all-time movie. I still don't get why it matters to anyone else what format I want my movie collection in.
braddavery
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby braddavery on Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:40 pm

minstrel wrote:
braddavery wrote:I always love when douchebags don't realize they are douchebags.

Looked in a mirror lately?

braddavery wrote:I love how you conveniently forgot to add in all the douchey replies that I received that my posts were in response to, but hey, what do I respect. Apparently this is one of them forums where there are like 10 guys who are uber-douches who pile-on new people simply for posting about forum specific topics.

If you took time to look around, you'd see that this is one of "them" forums where it's customary for newcomers to post in the Welcome thread, where they generally get a warm reception. New people don't get "piled on" unless they do something to deserve it. You deserved it. It's not because you posted about wanting a Big Lebowski Blu-Ray, it's the way you responded to the people who offered possible reasons why there isn't one. Your tone, even in your first post in this thread, is confrontational and angry (the "WhyTF" in the thread title, for instance). What kind of responses were you expecting? Did you want us to all march on the studio demanding a Blu-Ray NOW? Should we all have signed a petition somewhere? You got the responses you should have expected - the initial question doesn't have much in the way of discussion possibilities, anyway ("Why isn't there a TBL Blu-Ray?" "Gee, I don't know, but there isn't one." Pretty much end of discussion.).

But you jumped all over those who responded. I suggested you have a little respect, and you said respect has to be earned. Around here we're usually kind enough to show respect as a default position, but let's play it your way: When and how are you going to start earning our respect? Because you're in a serious respect deficit now.

Dude, I responded to someone calling me out for starting a similar thread on a DIFFERENT forum back in August. Right away with the antagonistic replies. I reacted in-kind. Sue me. I get frustrated easily, so what. If I didn't have a reason to be frustrated, I would not have gotten frustrated. Why not pile-on the guy who was being snide and underhanded with someone who made their first post. No, it must be all my fault because I am new here. lol
braddavery
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Hermanator X on Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:45 pm

braddavery wrote:
Hermanator X wrote:

Sorry, I don't want to pay $40+ American for a different region Blu-ray that won't play in my Blu-ray player. I don't normally mind waiting, but it has been SO long. I also want the Lord of the Rings Director's Cut trilogy on Blu-ray. Does that make me a bad person too?

No just an impatient one. And did I call you a bad person? I was suggesting a practical solution. I personally like owning foreign versions. I think they are cool.
It may even be region free, quite a few blu's are I believe.
I would like them too, but in the meantime, im more than happy to watch my dvds (in my blu ray player).
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby braddavery on Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:57 pm

Hermanator X wrote:
braddavery wrote:
Hermanator X wrote:

No just an impatient one. And did I call you a bad person? I was suggesting a practical solution. I personally like owning foreign versions. I think they are cool.
It may even be region free, quite a few blu's are I believe.
I would like them too, but in the meantime, im more than happy to watch my dvds (in my blu ray player).

Impatient? It's been literally almost FOUR YEARS since TBL was released on HD DVD. I just don't get what the hold-up is. It's one of the most popular films out there and it's not like it's an old classic that needs time to be "highly defined". I just want the Blu-ray. It's not that big a deal, I didn't expect to be treated like an outcast in a BLU-RAY forum. That is really what is messed-up here. WTF are we supposed to talk about here in the Blu-ray forum if it's faux pas to discuss Blu-rays that you want released. Can we ONLY talk about Blu-rays that have been released? I didn't see that in the TOS.
braddavery
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:25 pm

Hermanator X wrote:

There are also some rather good DVD boxset versions of the film. For example the German release with the White Russian glasses. Or the "Dude Abides" set with coffee cup and model severed toe. (Not to mention the vanilla version costs about a £1 now which is something of a bargain)

Also, reading on this matter suggests that the DVD had a more pleasing picture quality when upscaled than the HDDVD release's native HD picture.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby braddavery on Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:40 pm

Fried Gold wrote:
Hermanator X wrote:

There are also some rather good DVD boxset versions of the film. For example the German release with the White Russian glasses. Or the "Dude Abides" set with coffee cup and model severed toe. (Not to mention the vanilla version costs about a £1 now which is something of a bargain)

Also, reading on this matter suggests that the DVD had a more pleasing picture quality when upscaled than the HDDVD release's native HD picture.

That's why I want a Blu-ray release. It SHOULD be better quality than the crappy HD DVD release and will obviously be higher quality than a DVD (that along with the fact that my entire collection is Blu-ray). I'm not going to get into a discussion on whether Blu-ray is noticeably better than DVD, because 95-99% of the time, it is.
braddavery
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:43 pm

braddavery wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:
Hermanator X wrote:

That's why I want a Blu-ray release. It SHOULD be better quality than the crappy HD DVD release and will obviously be higher quality than a DVD (that along with the fact that my entire collection is Blu-ray). I'm not going to get into a discussion on whether Blu-ray is noticeably better than DVD, because 95-99% of the time, it is.

The suggestion: in the time while you wait for the desired Blu-ray release, buy the inexpensive DVD and let your BD player upscale it for you. 720i will be better than nothing.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby braddavery on Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:46 pm

Fried Gold wrote:
braddavery wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:
Hermanator X wrote:

The suggestion: in the time while you wait for the desired Blu-ray release, buy the inexpensive DVD and let your BD player upscale it for you. 720i will be better than nothing.

I've seen the film on DVD around 20 times. Time to move-on. Plus it's pointless to expense buying a DVD when I will be buying the Blu-ray as soon as it is released. I'm not one to throw away money. I am patient, I just want the Blu-ray and can't understand the hold-up. If it wasn't my favorite film of all-time, I would not have made two threads about it on two different forums.
braddavery
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Hermanator X on Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:53 pm

braddavery wrote:I've seen the film on DVD around 20 times. Time to move-on. Plus it's pointless to expense buying a DVD when I will be buying the Blu-ray as soon as it is released. I'm not one to throw away money. I am patient, I just want the Blu-ray and can't understand the hold-up. If it wasn't my favorite film of all-time, I would not have made two threads about it on two different forums.

Out of interest then, what did you do with your DVD copy? Im just curious as to how you can be all or nothing regarding the formats. I still have some vhs tucked away some where, and dont even have a player anymore. (but I will get around to throwing them out, honest)
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby braddavery on Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:05 pm

Hermanator X wrote:
braddavery wrote:I've seen the film on DVD around 20 times. Time to move-on. Plus it's pointless to expense buying a DVD when I will be buying the Blu-ray as soon as it is released. I'm not one to throw away money. I am patient, I just want the Blu-ray and can't understand the hold-up. If it wasn't my favorite film of all-time, I would not have made two threads about it on two different forums.

Out of interest then, what did you do with your DVD copy? Im just curious as to how you can be all or nothing regarding the formats. I still have some vhs tucked away some where, and dont even have a player anymore. (but I will get around to throwing them out, honest)

I sold my entire DVD collection a long time ago. I don't buy NEARLY as many movies as I used to, so now I just buy Blu-rays when I do.
braddavery
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Hermanator X on Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:13 pm

But wouldnt it have made sense to hang onto your absolute most favourite movie, and replaced it when it was possible?
I mean, its pretty out of the ordinary to clear out your entire collection. Let alone the one movie you love above all else.
It doesnt make much sense, and as far as you are concerned, it doesnt have to to anyone but yourself, and thats your right.
However, those of us with a more relaxed view point, just dont get it. It seems the rules your imposing on yourself are restricting your ability to enjoy movies, and making you a little highly strung.

Most importantly, is this behaviour something the dude would abide?
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby braddavery on Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:41 pm

Hermanator X wrote:But wouldnt it have made sense to hang onto your absolute most favourite movie, and replaced it when it was possible?
I mean, its pretty out of the ordinary to clear out your entire collection. Let alone the one movie you love above all else.
It doesnt make much sense, and as far as you are concerned, it doesnt have to to anyone but yourself, and thats your right.
However, those of us with a more relaxed view point, just dont get it. It seems the rules your imposing on yourself are restricting your ability to enjoy movies, and making you a little highly strung.

I have OCD and it would never allow me to keep a movie or two of my collection I sold, favorite movie of all-time or not. I just want the Blu-ray.
braddavery
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby travis-dane on Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:43 pm

braddavery wrote:
Hermanator X wrote:But wouldnt it have made sense to hang onto your absolute most favourite movie, and replaced it when it was possible?

I have OCD and it would never allow me to keep a movie or two of my collection I sold, favorite movie of all-time or not. I just want the Blu-ray.

:lol:
-
Lesbian Nazi Hookers Abducted by UFOs and Forced Into Weight Loss Programs!
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby Hermanator X on Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:49 pm

braddavery wrote:

Only Criterion Discs?
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby braddavery on Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:53 pm

Hermanator X wrote:
braddavery wrote:

Only Criterion Discs?

lol I hope that was a joke.
braddavery
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:02 pm

Hermanator X wrote:
braddavery wrote:

Only Criterion Discs?

Win.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:08 pm

Well the dude is in a new film by the dudes that wrote the dude into existence, so I reckon a blu-ray version is not too far over the horizon.

I already have two copies of the film on DVD though, due to my inability to resist buying the Bowling Ball Edition.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Peven on Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:51 pm

but i bet the bowling ball isn't even hi-def....

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby travis-dane on Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:07 am

I hear the Bowling Ball has OCD and is Blu(e).
-
Lesbian Nazi Hookers Abducted by UFOs and Forced Into Weight Loss Programs!
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Next

Return to DVD / Blu-ray