Confused by the predominance of the word DVD here...

Betamax and beyond

Re: Confused by the predominance of the word DVD here...

Postby ufoclub1977 on Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:27 pm

so sorry wrote:
DerLanghaarige wrote:32" TV, resolution: Got no idea. I'll tell you when I find the manual. I'm not saying that I can't see a difference between SD and HD and I won't rule out that the next TV that I buy might make this difference more visible (I bought this one in 2008), it's just nothing that makes me go WOW.

Well I think that you would notice a difference with a larger widesceen HD screen vs. the smaller (probably not HD) TV you have now.

You'd need a 1080p tv, any size will do. Blu-rays are 1920 x 1080 pixels. Watching it on anything less is like converting it down in quality.

Of course now it's 2015 and OLED 4K is the imminent display format. There will be no more awareness of pixels at all for the discerning viewer once programming goes 4K.
ufoclub1977
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Re: Confused by the predominance of the word DVD here...

Postby King Of Nowhere on Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:07 pm

TheBaxter wrote:yeah, you need a good-sized TV to really see the difference. 40" at least, probably 50+" to really get the benefit (depending how close you sit).

ufoclub1977 wrote:
so sorry wrote:
DerLanghaarige wrote:32" TV, resolution: Got no idea. I'll tell you when I find the manual. I'm not saying that I can't see a difference between SD and HD and I won't rule out that the next TV that I buy might make this difference more visible (I bought this one in 2008), it's just nothing that makes me go WOW.

Well I think that you would notice a difference with a larger widesceen HD screen vs. the smaller (probably not HD) TV you have now.

You'd need a 1080p tv, any size will do. Blu-rays are 1920 x 1080 pixels. Watching it on anything less is like converting it down in quality.

Of course now it's 2015 and OLED 4K is the imminent display format. There will be no more awareness of pixels at all for the discerning viewer once programming goes 4K.

Here's the problem...
If you've got a 32 inch TV that outputs 1080i, the panel probably has a resolution of 1366 (or 1360) x768 (thanks to old pc monitor resolutions, it being less hardware intensive than true 16:9 resolutions, and a whole host of other boring shit).

That's 1360 vertical lines across a 32inch screen.
If you go from a standard definition 720 × 480 32 inch TV to a 32 inch "HD Ready" TV with the weird 1360 (or 1366) screens, you're gaining 640 lines across the same surface area.
If you jump from that "HD Ready" TV to a 50inch 1920x1080 screen, you're only adding 560 additional lines across those extra 18 inches of screen.

If you really want a clear, vivid picture, buy a 28 inch TV with a resolution of 1920x1080, and then enjoy the superior picture quality while you wait on the internet and cable companies to figure out how they can get 4K (3840 × 2160) video into peoples homes without overhauling the structure of the internet.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Re: Confused by the predominance of the word VHS here...

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:58 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Previous

Return to DVD / Blu-ray