Confused by the predominance of the word DVD here...

Betamax and beyond

Re: Confused by the predominance of the word DVD here...

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:26 am

Peven wrote:I can't believe what i am reading here!!!!

Bax has parents?? :shock:


or so they claim. :|
Image
User avatar
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger
 
Posts: 18607
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:00 pm

Re: Confused by the predominance of the word DVD here...

Postby ufoclub1977 on Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:39 am

Spandau Belly wrote:
ufoclub1977 wrote:And seriously, I would challenge you to watch the same scene from Lord of the Rings movie on blu-ray and then DVD back to back.


You would win that challenge. I saw the first LOTR movie once in the cinemas and that was enough. Man, those hobbits are annoying little buggers.


Okay, then how about "ALIEN"?
User avatar
ufoclub1977
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD
 
Posts: 120
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:42 pm
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan

Re: Confused by the predominance of the word DVD here...

Postby John-Locke on Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:02 am

DerLanghaarige wrote:I think we can all agree that HD is the way to go, but until it's fully established, Blu-Ray might already be dead again and we will then have another medium, that really justifies the jump from DVD, to whatever these geeks came up with now.


This
Image
User avatar
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER
 
Posts: 12365
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:49 am
Location: Unknown

Re: Confused by the predominance of the word DVD here...

Postby Spandau Belly on Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:23 am

ufoclub1977 wrote:Okay, then how about "ALIEN"?


Like I said, I do appreciate the jump in quality from stand def to bluray. And nobody is disagreeing with you that it's better.

But the few DVDs I did choose to upgrade, I generally regretted spending the money. The big exception was BARAKA. That was well worth upgrading to a bluray. The other three or four, well, they look nicer, but I probably should've spent the money on candybars. I hear they did a great job remastering those ALIEN movies, but I'll stick with my standard def ALIEN box set.
Image
User avatar
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock
 
Posts: 7396
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:15 am
Location: ????

Re: Confused by the predominance of the word DVD here...

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:10 pm

ufoclub1977 wrote:
Spandau Belly wrote:
ufoclub1977 wrote:And seriously, I would challenge you to watch the same scene from Lord of the Rings movie on blu-ray and then DVD back to back.


You would win that challenge. I saw the first LOTR movie once in the cinemas and that was enough. Man, those hobbits are annoying little buggers.


Okay, then how about "ALIEN"?

1. Lord of the Walking - all the Blu-Ray version does is highlight the computergeneratedness of the giant armies which don't hold up as well.

2. Alien - I did not like the image "enhancement" work on the Blu-Ray release and was a big disappointment. It is fail. The Quadrilogy copies are still the preferred choice.

ufoclub1977 wrote:Well regardless of people not being able to tell the difference (this is similar I think to people not being aware of the difference between stereo and mono if both are coming out of two speakers?), SD is going extinct. DVD will soon be the lone medium for SD resolution. Live tv, movies, shows, home videos shot by consumers... it will all be HD.

And seriously, I would challenge you to watch the same scene from Lord of the Rings movie on blu-ray and then DVD back to back.

3. The comparison with mono/stereo is incorrect.
4. SD is not yet going extinct.
5. I think you are getting way, way ahead of things.
User avatar
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 13919
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:28 pm
Location: ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

Re: Confused by the predominance of the word DVD here...

Postby King Of Nowhere on Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:52 pm

It might be worth bringing up Laserdisk again.

425 lines vs 240 on VHS
Surround sound
Special features (Commentary tracks & what have you)

The people that would've populated AICN (had it existed back then) were the ones who bought laserdisk & the masses stuck with VHS regardless of the quality difference.

Laserdisks would work fine with the TVs people had. With Bluray, you're asking everyone to not just buy the player, but a new tv to watch the programming on.

I think the format would've been selling a lot more if they had sold standard def tv shows on the high capacity disks. It would've been cheaper for the distributors to sell a season of the sopranos on 1 dual layer bluray than 4 dual layer dvds. The cost of manufacturing world reflect on the price in store & a lot of people would see it as a worthwhile investment because they'd only be paying $30 for a season on Bluray when the same thing on dvd would cost double that.

Then, after HD TVs had grown in the marketplace (due to HD broadcasting) they could start releasing HD titles.

If they had went that route, chances are we'd have affordable bluray recorders by now.
User avatar
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!
 
Posts: 6173
Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:36 pm

Re: Confused by the predominance of the word DVD here...

Postby ufoclub1977 on Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:41 pm

Fried Gold wrote:
ufoclub1977 wrote:
Spandau Belly wrote:1. Lord of the Walking - all the Blu-Ray version does is highlight the computergeneratedness of the giant armies which don't hold up as well.
2. Alien - I did not like the image "enhancement" work on the Blu-Ray release and was a big disappointment. It is fail. The Quadrilogy copies are still the preferred choice.
3. The comparison with mono/stereo is incorrect.
4. SD is not yet going extinct.
5. I think you are getting way, way ahead of things.


1. So in effect you're saying that "Lord of the Walking" would not hold up in theatrical release? Well, that's not the fault of blu-ray which is bringing the quality and detail of a theatrical release to your home.
2. I just got the blu-ray set of ALIEN, and certainly the first film looks good and accurate. I've been fortunate enough to have seen ALIEN on revival screenings through the mid 80's until the early 90's, and I sat front row for one pristine print with beautiful color I saw in 1987. This looks like that memory. Grain and all. I just noticed that Lambert's astronaut suit has green legs.
3. Did you not understand the analogy to mono vs stereo? It's not meant to be a literally locked analogy since one is sound and the other is visual. I'll explain: -An obvious difference to me is imperceptible to others even though it is scientifically accurate to say that it brings out detail, and the eye should be able to relay this difference to the brain. Also, another similarity is that during the inception of stereo, many reacted in much the same way, feeling that stereo was a luxury for the elite, and hardly necessary.
4. Are they making anymore SD televisions or monitors? Is anyone producing any material in SD? Are they making any SD cameras for either pros or home use? I don't think so.
5. I'm not sure what you mean by getting ahead of myself... especially if you take into account the sentence above.

I still clearly remember the resistence to DVD from the many people who had built up VHS collections that filled shelves.
I still remember having a little black and white tv.
User avatar
ufoclub1977
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD
 
Posts: 120
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:42 pm
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan

Re: Confused by the predominance of the word DVD here...

Postby ufoclub1977 on Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:48 pm

King Of Nowhere wrote:It might be worth bringing up Laserdisk again.

425 lines vs 240 on VHS
Surround sound
Special features (Commentary tracks & what have you)

The people that would've populated AICN (had it existed back then) were the ones who bought laserdisk & the masses stuck with VHS regardless of the quality difference.

Laserdisks would work fine with the TVs people had. With Bluray, you're asking everyone to not just buy the player, but a new tv to watch the programming on.

I think the format would've been selling a lot more if they had sold standard def tv shows on the high capacity disks. It would've been cheaper for the distributors to sell a season of the sopranos on 1 dual layer bluray than 4 dual layer dvds. The cost of manufacturing world reflect on the price in store & a lot of people would see it as a worthwhile investment because they'd only be paying $30 for a season on Bluray when the same thing on dvd would cost double that.

Then, after HD TVs had grown in the marketplace (due to HD broadcasting) they could start releasing HD titles.

If they had went that route, chances are we'd have affordable bluray recorders by now.


I just bought two laserdiscs last month because the concerts on them are not available on DVD and they were shot in the NTSC format anyway in the 80's. I plan to capture them to DV tape, de-interlace them to create a progressive image, and then make a DVD version for ease of viewing.

As far as TV's - they don't even make and sell SD tv's anymore, do they? And blu-ray players are now as low as $95. That's much cheaper than DVD players were in their similar point of introduction in the marketplace. When DVD players first came out they were $400-$500 for a player, then they floated around $200 for years. Then there was suddenly a major reduction to grocery store prices of $50 for a player. Blu-ray is already quite affordable as a player if you buy a simple one.
User avatar
ufoclub1977
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD
 
Posts: 120
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:42 pm
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan

Re: Confused by the predominance of the word DVD here...

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:50 pm

ufoclub1977 wrote:1. So in effect you're saying that "Lord of the Walking" would not hold up in theatrical release? Well, that's not the fault of blu-ray which is bringing the quality and detail of a theatrical release to your home.

I've seen them in the cinema several times and it was fine. The Blu-ray version seems to have had some image enhancement to it, making some scenes (in particular those with CGI visual effects elements) seem a bit ropey. So Blu-Ray isn't really bringing the same "theatre experience" into the home.

2. I just got the blu-ray set of ALIEN, and certainly the first film looks good and accurate. I've been fortunate enough to have seen ALIEN on revival screenings through the mid 80's until the early 90's, and I sat front row for one pristine print with beautiful color I saw in 1987. This looks like that memory. Grain and all. I just noticed that Lambert's astronaut suit has green legs.

Odd green tint and lack of accurate depth of black aside...yeah, it's a great release. Blu-Ray really brings home the "theatre experience".

3. Did you not understand the analogy to mono vs stereo? It's not meant to be a literally locked analogy since one is sound and the other is visual. I'll explain: -An obvious difference to me is imperceptible to others even though it is scientifically accurate to say that it brings out detail, and the eye should be able to relay this difference to the brain. Also, another similarity is that during the inception of stereo, many reacted in much the same way, feeling that stereo was a luxury for the elite, and hardly necessary.

It seems you're not quite understanding the analogy you were trying to make.

4. Are they making anymore SD televisions or monitors? Is anyone producing any material in SD? Are they making any SD cameras for either pros or home use? I don't think so.

Now you're just being plain ignorant.

5. I'm not sure what you mean by getting ahead of myself... especially if you take into account the sentence above.

It's time to take off the blinkers now, Seabiscuit...or perhaps time to stop representing the HD Marketing Council and think about the world in real terms.

I still clearly remember the resistence to DVD from the many people who had built up VHS collections that filled shelves.
I still remember having a little black and white tv.

You clearly have a good memory. None of us can remember a time without DVD and we find the current HD climate to be frightening.
User avatar
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 13919
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:28 pm
Location: ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

Re: Confused by the predominance of the word DVD here...

Postby ufoclub1977 on Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:58 pm

Fried Gold wrote:I've seen them in the cinema several times and it was fine. The Blu-ray version seems to have had some image enhancement to it, making some scenes (in particular those with CGI visual effects elements) seem a bit ropey. So Blu-Ray isn't really bringing the same "theatre experience" into the home.


So you're saying that on the blu-ray by applying an edge sharpening to the final composited image, that the effects are suddenly popped into a more fake appearance than what you saw in the theater? I'm puzzled by that, because image enhancement to the final image is just, it's a blanket effect that does not actually bring in more information to only certain elements. If they did artificially sharpen the image (increasing the contrast on detected edges), it would make everything sharper in an illusory way. In fact, blanket adjustments to the final composite often cement the real and CG together into a more unified appearance. Frames of the DVD to blu-ray comparison would certainly help.


Odd green tint and lack of accurate depth of black aside...yeah, it's a great release. Blu-Ray really brings home the "theatre experience".


I'm not noticing a green tint to it, or discrepancy of blacks. I've got the photo novel they made from actual film frames published in 1979 as a reference. Maybe because they didn't try to deepen the image to an absolute black (which seems to be the contemporary trend), it seems to gray? With this movie, I think the blacks might have been pushed to a lighter shade during the original color timing (to use less lighting during shooting and get a "real" look), and also the smoke used in the air tends to gray out shadows.


It seems you're not quite understanding the analogy you were trying to make.

Can you explain the fault of the analogy?

Now you're just being plain ignorant.

Do you have any evidence of NTSC production? (I can only speak for the U.S. and Japanese arenas). Maybe I'm wrong, do you have an example of a show, camera for sale, movie?
It's time to take off the blinkers now, Seabiscuit...or perhaps time to stop representing the HD Marketing Council and think about the world in real terms.

Uh oh, I'm starting to get a rise out of you. Believe me, I'm not marketing blu-ray or HD specifically... I'm all for the work and efforts of the artists to be conveyed accurately, especially if put up for sale. I definitely believe that the higher resolution, the higher sound depth gives more of the essence of the concept and energy, and a deeper enjoyment. Of course it can bring out shoddy craftsmanship, but I really believe that the theatrical projected print would have the same clarity.


You clearly have a good memory. None of us can remember a time without DVD and we find the current HD climate to be frightening.

Well, maybe you're not afraid, but there is a certain resistance on this site that seems emotionally based and conservative. It reminds me of the anti-Apple reaction.
User avatar
ufoclub1977
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD
 
Posts: 120
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:42 pm
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan

Re: Confused by the predominance of the word DVD here...

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:19 pm

Clearly we already got a rise out of you, as you seem to be dead set on preaching the word of the HD-Lord almighty to us over and over again.

Also,
- don't tell people what they have and haven't seen with some air of superiority
- don't try to insult people's intelligence and talk down to them

We all understand the technical improvements of High-Definition video over Standard-Definition. And we all understand the consequences of the current media formats. Technical factors aren't the only things to consider in this, so try not to ignore that.
User avatar
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 13919
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:28 pm
Location: ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

Re: Confused by the predominance of the word DVD here...

Postby Peven on Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:01 pm

i am thinking someone has been living in a hermetically sealed chamber isolated from the US population with their eyelids propped open while Sony marketing information has been streamed before them on a continuous loop in a laboratory deep within the bowels of Tokyo. :roll: holy shit, it is one thing to recognize the technical superiority or advantage of a product and another thing entirely to understand or comprehend the market where said product is being sold. one relates to pure technical knowledge and another is based on human behavior and economics. perhaps a trip to the doctor for a possible diagnosis of Assburger's is in order? and anyone who thinks that SD hardware isn't still being sold simply doesn't know what they are talking about in that respect. period.
Last edited by Peven on Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image

perversely contrarian since 2005
User avatar
Peven
Is This Real Life?
 
Posts: 14177
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:45 am
Location: Group W bench

Re: Confused by the predominance of the word DVD here...

Postby The Vicar on Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:34 pm

Peven wrote: and anyone who thinks that that SD hardware isn't still being sold simply doesn't know what they are talking about in that respect. period.


One trip to Walmart, Target or Best Buy should dispel that misconception.
Yes sports fans, crap is still being peddled to the masses. Enjoy!

Now everyone make nice and talk about pie.
Ummmmmmmm.....pie.....
.
........................................
Image
User avatar
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone
 
Posts: 16179
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:21 am

Re: Confused by the predominance of the word DVD here...

Postby ufoclub1977 on Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:42 pm

The Vicar wrote:
Peven wrote: and anyone who thinks that that SD hardware isn't still being sold simply doesn't know what they are talking about in that respect. period.


One trip to Walmart, Target or Best Buy should dispel that misconception.
Yes sports fans, crap is still being peddled to the masses. Enjoy!

Now everyone make nice and talk about pie.
Ummmmmmmm.....pie.....


See:

http://www.walmart.com/browse/TV-Video/ ... s=+&depts=

click that link above to walmart!
Last edited by ufoclub1977 on Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
ufoclub1977
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD
 
Posts: 120
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:42 pm
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan

Re: Confused by the predominance of the word DVD here...

Postby ufoclub1977 on Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:01 am

Fried Gold wrote:Clearly we already got a rise out of you, as you seem to be dead set on preaching the word of the HD-Lord almighty to us over and over again.

Also,
- don't tell people what they have and haven't seen with some air of superiority
- don't try to insult people's intelligence and talk down to them

We all understand the technical improvements of High-Definition video over Standard-Definition. And we all understand the consequences of the current media formats. Technical factors aren't the only things to consider in this, so try not to ignore that.


You haven't got a rise out of me. Where did I tell you what you'd seen? Or talk down to you? I was hoping with YOUR self written air of superiority and condescending, insulting attitude (like you issuing commands above) you would go through the points and elaborate. I'm not out to get you or anyone, but I do enjoy debate and discussion on a forum like this. Often playing the advocate brings out interesting things. And of course I can be wrong. But I'm really just trying to dig at the nature of any resistance to the evolution of media.

For example:

What do you mean by "technical factors aren't the only things to consider in this"? If you mean that considering the current economy, entertainment items might not be the most wise priority, then of course you're right. But it's not like the prices of a TV or player today are any more than the price of a tube TV and VCR back in the 80's
User avatar
ufoclub1977
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD
 
Posts: 120
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:42 pm
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan

Re: Confused by the predominance of the word DVD here...

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:25 am

ufoclub1977 wrote:
You clearly have a good memory. None of us can remember a time without DVD and we find the current HD climate to be frightening.

Well, maybe you're not afraid, but there is a certain resistance on this site that seems emotionally based and conservative. It reminds me of the anti-Apple reaction.


i think you're confusing resistance with simply trying to be realistic about the situation. like i stated before, i love BR, i only buy BR, and only watch BR unless a film is only available on SD DVD. but i also realize that i'm in the minority there, and that it will be some time before the rest of the public catches up. i do think it will eventually happen, if for no other reason than because hollywood and electronics manufacturers are so committed to making it happen that they'll eventually stop producing DVDs and DVD players altogether, and BR will be the only choice no matter what. but i don't think the majority of the public care. if people on a film-centered geeky message board like this aren't gung-ho about it, how do you think the average non-geeky person is going to feel?
Image
User avatar
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger
 
Posts: 18607
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:00 pm

Re: Confused by the predominance of the word DVD here...

Postby Leckomaniac on Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:58 am

ufoclub1977 wrote:
You clearly have a good memory. None of us can remember a time without DVD and we find the current HD climate to be frightening.

Well, maybe you're not afraid, but there is a certain resistance on this site that seems emotionally based and conservative. It reminds me of the anti-Apple reaction.


That comparison made me chuckle because isn't Apple anti-Blu ray? I believe they are. Jobs has refused to include BR players in Mac's because he believes digital copies are the future.
Image
User avatar
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 11031
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:32 pm
Location: Chicago, IL

Re: Confused by the predominance of the word DVD here...

Postby so sorry on Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:14 am

Leckomaniac wrote:
ufoclub1977 wrote:
You clearly have a good memory. None of us can remember a time without DVD and we find the current HD climate to be frightening.

Well, maybe you're not afraid, but there is a certain resistance on this site that seems emotionally based and conservative. It reminds me of the anti-Apple reaction.


That comparison made me chuckle because isn't Apple anti-Blu ray? I believe they are. Jobs has refused to include BR players in Mac's because he believes digital copies are the future.



Its because Jobs didn't think of it first. 8-)
User avatar
so sorry
Deacon Blues
 
Posts: 15233
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:29 am

Re: Confused by the predominance of the word DVD here...

Postby Hermanator X on Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:21 am

I dont think its resistance, its just not the end of the world to watch something in standard def.
Sure, I have a blu ray player, and had an HD-DVD as I got a good deal on one, but I dont feel the need to replace my library. Im perfectly content to watch DVD's. I cant foresee a time that blu ray machines wont play both, so its not really an issue to me.
At the end of the day, its all consumable plastic trash anyway. Im not future proofing myself by having a BD player, im just enjoying it.

People also talk of the obsoletion of physical media, and I think its a long ways off that we all have a single pulsating black monolith containing all of our stuff, but I would rather concern myself with the here and now, than not buy anything until that becomes a reality.

I can say for certain that I will never have a 3d tv as long as I have the standard alternative, but do you think we all need to upgrade to that too?

On the flipside, I read a thread on the cancellation of the Guitar Hero franchise, in which some people jubilanty proclaimed that they were right that it was a fad.
But I think most reasonable people werent buying the kit and games over the past 5 years as a long term investment, praying that they could still play it in 20 years time.
Im rambling a bit now, but what I mean is, if the tech is there and you have the desire too, enjoy it, but it really doesnt matter too much.
Things are always changing, and its up to the individual where they fit into the adoption curve.
...and so forth.
User avatar
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 2624
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2005 1:55 pm
Location: Kongsberg, Norway, This Town needs an enema

Re: Confused by the predominance of the word DVD here...

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:54 am

i still read books. and i have no plans to buy an ipad or one of those kindle thingamabobs. at least not til the library starts lending ebooks.

what were we talking about again?
Image
User avatar
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger
 
Posts: 18607
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:00 pm

Re: Confused by the predominance of the word DVD here...

Postby Hermanator X on Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:04 pm

TheBaxter wrote:i still read books. and i have no plans to buy an ipad or one of those kindle thingamabobs. at least not til the library starts lending ebooks.

what were we talking about again?


If your sig proves anything Bax, its that in a pinch, modern technology is not required. We are an inventive species, and can make the best from what we have.
...and so forth.
User avatar
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 2624
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2005 1:55 pm
Location: Kongsberg, Norway, This Town needs an enema

Re: Confused by the predominance of the word DVD here...

Postby ufoclub1977 on Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:47 pm

Hermanator X wrote:I dont think its resistance, its just not the end of the world to watch something in standard def.
Sure, I have a blu ray player, and had an HD-DVD as I got a good deal on one, but I dont feel the need to replace my library. Im perfectly content to watch DVD's. I cant foresee a time that blu ray machines wont play both, so its not really an issue to me.
At the end of the day, its all consumable plastic trash anyway. Im not future proofing myself by having a BD player, im just enjoying it.

People also talk of the obsoletion of physical media, and I think its a long ways off that we all have a single pulsating black monolith containing all of our stuff, but I would rather concern myself with the here and now, than not buy anything until that becomes a reality.

I can say for certain that I will never have a 3d tv as long as I have the standard alternative, but do you think we all need to upgrade to that too?

On the flipside, I read a thread on the cancellation of the Guitar Hero franchise, in which some people jubilanty proclaimed that they were right that it was a fad.
But I think most reasonable people werent buying the kit and games over the past 5 years as a long term investment, praying that they could still play it in 20 years time.
Im rambling a bit now, but what I mean is, if the tech is there and you have the desire too, enjoy it, but it really doesnt matter too much.
Things are always changing, and its up to the individual where they fit into the adoption curve.


Well the beauty of this particular change to blu-ray players is that you can play all your DVD's and it will interpolate and upscale them in such a way as to mimic an HD picture! So libraries of DVD's can still be enjoyed. Plus it is amazing how cheap blu-ray players and HD TV's are now. Cheaper than decent tube TV's, VCR's or DVD players ever were in their heyday. Want to know another big motivation for me to be on the side of everyone getting on the HD boat? I'm a filmmaker who wants people to see the detail, the artificial grain, the tiniest color shifts in my own work, whether it's commercial or personal.

DEATH OF PHYSICAL MEDIA? I know so many people that are now ripping all their media onto a server ( I don't, I don't even own an ipod, and still play CD's in the car, but I'm all about fidelity) that I do feel the death of physical media is imminent. Mp3 players already set this in motion in the music biz, and now with websites, PDF's, and electronic book readers like Ipad and Kindle, the physical production of books and magazines and especially newspapers is in decline. Is it sad? I dunno.

As far as 3D TV... I've seen incredible demos, but having to wear and purchase headgear just kind of negates it unless it's special viewing of great material. I'm interested to see if a serious dramatic filmmaker uses 3D in non genre movie, just to pull you into the realistic characters and environment and acting. I'd love to see how a movie like "Doubt" plays in 3D. After all, everyone's experiences and dramas in life are in 3D (and stereo) if you have working sets of eyes and ears. I think that, if used as an additional layer of depth to enrich a work, it could theoretically make it even more poignant.
I'm not familiar with the cancellation of guitar hero... wasn't the big Beatles release a year ago on that platform?
User avatar
ufoclub1977
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD
 
Posts: 120
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:42 pm
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan

Re: Confused by the predominance of the word DVD here...

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:08 pm

the beatles is Rock Band, not Guitar Hero. that game is still alive and better than ever (you can play real actual musical instruments, even a real guitar in it now!)

i'd like to see BR take off and become wildly successful too, just so that i can keep getting them. it will become the de facto standard for the physical distribution of media, because that's what the industry wants (unless they change their minds and come up with some other new supergizmo format to push on the public, though i think they're too distracted with 3D, which is BR compatible at least, to be worrying about new formats right now). the same reason the public has been relatively slow to pick up on BR is the same reason they will be REALLY slow to switch over to HD streamed content or digital delivery. it's too much techy-geeky for the average person. you know that if even apple can't figure out a way to get the public onboard with it (AppleTV hasn't exactly been the new ipod) then it's going to be one tough nut to crack.
Image
User avatar
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger
 
Posts: 18607
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:00 pm

Re: Confused by the predominance of the word DVD here...

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:13 pm

TheBaxter wrote:i still read books. and i have no plans to buy an ipad or one of those kindle thingamabobs. at least not til the library starts lending ebooks.

what were we talking about again?

I still read book, but only if they're in HD (with at least a 2k transfer). Only HD books can really bring home the true "library experience".

I recommend you all to burn any book that's printed below 720i.
User avatar
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 13919
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:28 pm
Location: ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

Re: Confused by the predominance of the word DVD here...

Postby ufoclub1977 on Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:29 pm

TheBaxter wrote:the beatles is Rock Band, not Guitar Hero. that game is still alive and better than ever (you can play real actual musical instruments, even a real guitar in it now!)

i'd like to see BR take off and become wildly successful too, just so that i can keep getting them. it will become the de facto standard for the physical distribution of media, because that's what the industry wants (unless they change their minds and come up with some other new supergizmo format to push on the public, though i think they're too distracted with 3D, which is BR compatible at least, to be worrying about new formats right now). the same reason the public has been relatively slow to pick up on BR is the same reason they will be REALLY slow to switch over to HD streamed content or digital delivery. it's too much techy-geeky for the average person. you know that if even apple can't figure out a way to get the public onboard with it (AppleTV hasn't exactly been the new ipod) then it's going to be one tough nut to crack.


I think that On Demand and Netflix Instant has made streaming HD (or SD) video the favorite of many regular people, and it's easier than renting or buying and putting in a disc into a player, and doesn't take up space in your apt or house.. The compression sucks though, and anytime there is any detailed imagery that shifts a lot (like a glimmering ocean, or explosions, or space battle) the picture turns into low resolution blocks to squeeze into the data rate limitation.

You know something is afoot when Televisions and blu-ray players are being manufactured with a Netflix app built right in.
User avatar
ufoclub1977
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD
 
Posts: 120
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:42 pm
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan

Re: Confused by the predominance of the word DVD here...

Postby Spandau Belly on Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:55 pm

Where I live, in the last 5-10 years most people I know rent their movies from ondemand services and not physical media. Where I live it's the cable companies that provide a service where they have a rotating catalogue of movies available for instant viewing, but now Netflix is available through the videogame consoles. This service put all the Blockbusters out of business because they have the same catalogue of the top new releases (which is what 90% of renters want) and a few old favorites like GHOSTBUSTERS or LETHAL WEAPON or whatever, they are never out of stock of the movie you want, there's no driving to the video store, no late fees, and it's the same price as renting a movie. Most of the new releases have the option of HD or SD, with an extra $1.00 for the HD.
Image
User avatar
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock
 
Posts: 7396
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:15 am
Location: ????

Re: Confused by the predominance of the word DVD here...

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:28 pm

ufoclub1977 wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:the beatles is Rock Band, not Guitar Hero. that game is still alive and better than ever (you can play real actual musical instruments, even a real guitar in it now!)

i'd like to see BR take off and become wildly successful too, just so that i can keep getting them. it will become the de facto standard for the physical distribution of media, because that's what the industry wants (unless they change their minds and come up with some other new supergizmo format to push on the public, though i think they're too distracted with 3D, which is BR compatible at least, to be worrying about new formats right now). the same reason the public has been relatively slow to pick up on BR is the same reason they will be REALLY slow to switch over to HD streamed content or digital delivery. it's too much techy-geeky for the average person. you know that if even apple can't figure out a way to get the public onboard with it (AppleTV hasn't exactly been the new ipod) then it's going to be one tough nut to crack.


I think that On Demand and Netflix Instant has made streaming HD (or SD) video the favorite of many regular people, and it's easier than renting or buying and putting in a disc into a player, and doesn't take up space in your apt or house.. The compression sucks though, and anytime there is any detailed imagery that shifts a lot (like a glimmering ocean, or explosions, or space battle) the picture turns into low resolution blocks to squeeze into the data rate limitation.

You know something is afoot when Televisions and blu-ray players are being manufactured with a Netflix app built right in.


this is precisely why i don't watch netflix streaming. even their so-called "HD" feeds are so shitty looking, it doesn't even come close to DVD quality most of the time. a lot of people who use it are either watching on their computer (where the feed looks fine compared to youtube and whatever else is on the computer) or on smaller, older TVs where the difference isn't noticable enough to bother them. i'll happily take my red-envelope BR disk over anything on their streaming service, which i have on both my PS3 and my other BR player and have used only twice in that time, and that was mainly just to try it out and see how it worked.

also, streaming and ondemand are rental services. they may replace blockbuster and dvd-by-mail eventually, but they won't replace actual ownership of the media. the question for BR is whether digital delivery of user-owned media will ever replace it. it may someday. it won't be anytime soon.
Image
User avatar
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger
 
Posts: 18607
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:00 pm

Re: Confused by the predominance of the word DVD here...

Postby King Of Nowhere on Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:25 pm

ufoclub1977 wrote:Bluray pwns all


Image
Ahnold looks like a bloody ken doll.
http://www.avpgalaxy.net/website/articles/predator-blu-ray-comparison/

now please STFU
User avatar
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!
 
Posts: 6173
Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:36 pm

Re: Confused by the predominance of the word DVD here...

Postby ufoclub1977 on Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:06 pm

King Of Nowhere wrote:
ufoclub1977 wrote:Bluray pwns all


Image
Ahnold looks like a bloody ken doll.
http://www.avpgalaxy.net/website/articles/predator-blu-ray-comparison/

now please STFU


That's a completely useless comparison, Martin, and anyway, why are you mad? :lol:

Grain reduction/smoothing is a choice of the people hired to process the master scan of that particular movie, not an issue with blu-ray or HD itself as a format. What you've so boldly posted is like saying "Rap sucks" as you hold up a Vanilla Ice album, while I'm talking about Public Enemy, Beastie Boys, or Run DMC.

Remember, the travesty of the DVD and Blu-ray release of Superman the Movie? Both have their horrible amped up sound and new sound effects thrown in. That's the fault of the people hired to prepare the movie for re-release and mastering.
User avatar
ufoclub1977
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD
 
Posts: 120
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:42 pm
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan

Re: Confused by the predominance of the word DVD here...

Postby King Of Nowhere on Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:31 pm

My mother calls me martin, you call me Kon, that's the way this board works. If not, then rabbits, mice, squirrels, dead movie producers & Al Pacino don't actually post here & that's just not something i'm equipped to deal with right now.

I'm mad because the farking war scarred bad ass mother fucker who carries out the jobs no one else will looks like he is made out of pvc.

Film grain reduction is a tool chosen by the studios & not by the director. Any noise removal or restoration not carried out at the wish of the director is modifying the artistic vision & the end result is not the movie the director originally intended people to see.

Before you say grain is just a side effect & it should've died out, look at Spielberg. He's a mother fucker who loves himself some grain. Lucas added grain to Episode 3 because it was too digital looking for him (and he's the mother fucker responsible for the CGIathon OT special editions, so you know something is up when he says the words "too digital").

You forgot Wu-Tang Clan, so i'm not touching the rap analogy.

No, i don't remember the dvd & bluray release of Superman. I refuse to watch it until they digitally replace the white guy with a black actor.
Last edited by King Of Nowhere on Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!
 
Posts: 6173
Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:36 pm

Re: Confused by the predominance of the word DVD here...

Postby ufoclub1977 on Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:43 pm

King Of Nowhere wrote:My mother calls me martin, you call me Kon, that's the way this board works. If not, then rabbits, mice, squirrels, dead movie producers & Al Pacino don't actually post here & that's just not something i'm equipped to deal with right now.

I'm mad because the farking war scarred bad ass motherfucker who carries out the jobs no one else will looks like he is made out of pvc.

Film grain reduction is a tool chosen by the studios & not by the director. Any noise removal or restoration not carried out at the wish of the Director is modifying the artistic vision & the end result is not the movie the Director originally intended people to see.

Before you say grain is just a side effect & it should've died out, look at Spielberg. He's a mother fucker who loves himself some grain. Lucas added grain to Episode 3 because it was too digital looking for him (and he's the mother fucker responsible for the CGIathon OT special editions, so you know something is up when he says the words "too digital").

You forgot Wu-Tang Clan, so i'm not touching the rap analogy.

No, i don't remember the dvd & bluray release of Superman. I refuse to watch it until they digitally replace the white guy with a black actor.


I'm a huge fan of film grain, and that's why on my little HD videos and animations, I'll add artificial film grain, too make it all look nice and organic like it's 1977. I think that the original Predator movie was excellent and grainy and had a big 70's on location look to it. It's a shame someone thought that HD meant that Predator had to be grainless. In my opinion HD should actually bring out the film grain.

I'm an old man with a white beard, so Wu Tang was past my hey day... although I was spied once appreciating that Lil Wayne/Niki Minaj song "I Gets Crazy".
User avatar
ufoclub1977
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD
 
Posts: 120
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:42 pm
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan

Re: Confused by the predominance of the word DVD here...

Postby Fievel on Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:06 am

King Of Nowhere wrote:My mother calls me martin, you call me Kon, that's the way this board works. If not, then rabbits, mice, squirrels, dead movie producers & Al Pacino don't actually post here & that's just not something i'm equipped to deal with right now.


Probably one of the best things I've read here in years!

Edit - and I just realized when I clicked "Submit" that this is an ages-old thread!! :oops:
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
User avatar
Fievel
Mouse Of The House
 
Posts: 11951
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:07 pm
Location: White Lake, MI

Re: Confused by the predominance of the word DVD here...

Postby justcheckin on Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:34 pm

Fievel wrote:
King Of Nowhere wrote:My mother calls me martin, you call me Kon, that's the way this board works. If not, then rabbits, mice, squirrels, dead movie producers & Al Pacino don't actually post here & that's just not something i'm equipped to deal with right now.


Probably one of the best things I've read here in years!

Edit - and I just realized when I clicked "Submit" that this is an ages-old thread!! :oops:


Only by about a year... :lol:
User avatar
justcheckin
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 2751
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:37 am
Location: Down the street, take a left.

Re: Confused by the predominance of the word DVD here...

Postby ufoclub1977 on Thu May 01, 2014 3:22 pm

Ha, let's revisit this thread!
User avatar
ufoclub1977
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD
 
Posts: 120
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:42 pm
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan

Re: Confused by the predominance of the word DVD here...

Postby TheBaxter on Thu May 01, 2014 5:04 pm

well, i'm still renting blu-rays from netflix and avoiding their streaming service.
i do have a kindle now though :oops:


wait, what was this thread about?
Image
User avatar
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger
 
Posts: 18607
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:00 pm

Re: Confused by the predominance of the word DVD here...

Postby Fievel on Thu May 01, 2014 7:56 pm

TheBaxter wrote:
wait, what was this thread about?

I believe we were here to talk about your parents, Baxter...
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
User avatar
Fievel
Mouse Of The House
 
Posts: 11951
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:07 pm
Location: White Lake, MI

Re: Confused by the predominance of the word DVD here...

Postby Spandau Belly on Fri May 02, 2014 11:55 am

That bump on the head really put you out of it. But you're starting to remember now, aren't you? ....how Spiderman killed your father?
Image
User avatar
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock
 
Posts: 7396
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:15 am
Location: ????

Re: Confused by the predominance of the word DVD here...

Postby Al Shut on Fri May 02, 2014 12:08 pm

If somebody cares I'm thoroughly rooted in the past watching dvds on my Playstation 2
Image
User avatar
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER
 
Posts: 6147
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:57 pm
Location: Oberhausen, Germany

Re: Confused by the predominance of the word DVD here...

Postby TheBaxter on Mon May 05, 2014 9:57 am

Spandau Belly wrote:That bump on the head really put you out of it. But you're starting to remember now, aren't you? ....how Spiderman killed your father?


Spiderman killed Darth Vader?!?!?
Image
User avatar
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger
 
Posts: 18607
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:00 pm

Re: Confused by the predominance of the word DVD here...

Postby Al Shut on Mon May 05, 2014 12:09 pm

TheBaxter wrote:Spiderman killed Darth Vader?!?!?


I hope this will be in a future Kingdom Hearts game
Image
User avatar
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER
 
Posts: 6147
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:57 pm
Location: Oberhausen, Germany

Re: Confused by the predominance of the word DVD here...

Postby ufoclub1977 on Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:23 am

I did just buy my first 3D blu-ray of Jurassic Park just based on the word of mouth that they did an amazing job of converting it. I gave all my DVD's (except for rare ones) to the thrift store 6 months ago.

And Netflix HD streaming now looks great if you have good internet!
User avatar
ufoclub1977
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD
 
Posts: 120
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:42 pm
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan

Re: Confused by the predominance of the word DVD here...

Postby DerLanghaarige on Mon May 18, 2015 10:00 am

Because I found a coupon for a "Free digital copy" in one of my DVDs and was bored, I made a Flixster/Ultraviolet account and redeemed it. Now the question is: is that digital copy supposed to be that laggy and pixely? I mean, I get it, it's SD, but something that looks like less than 360p and far below what Netlix & Co offer as SD quality, isn't really something that makes me excited about getting virtual backups of my movies.
Image
User avatar
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt
 
Posts: 2558
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:00 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Confused by the predominance of the word DVD here...

Postby so sorry on Mon May 18, 2015 11:57 am

DerLanghaarige wrote:Because I found a coupon for a "Free digital copy" in one of my DVDs and was bored, I made a Flixster/Ultraviolet account and redeemed it. Now the question is: is that digital copy supposed to be that laggy and pixely? I mean, I get it, it's SD, but something that looks like less than 360p and far below what Netlix & Co offer as SD quality, isn't really something that makes me excited about getting virtual backups of my movies.


I have one or two of those Ultraviolet downloads. I think I watched one on my iPad a long time ago, I don't remember seeing and pixelization or lags in the video. But I may have downloaded the entire movie first vs. streaming.
User avatar
so sorry
Deacon Blues
 
Posts: 15233
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:29 am

Re: Confused by the predominance of the word DVD here...

Postby DerLanghaarige on Mon May 18, 2015 2:42 pm

Well, I can imagine that it looks much better on a tablet or laptop screen, than on the 32" TV screen where I tried it. Still kinda weird. Maybe I try to download it and see if there is any difference.
Image
User avatar
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt
 
Posts: 2558
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:00 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Confused by the predominance of the word DVD here...

Postby DerLanghaarige on Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:03 am

So I finally had Blu-Ray forced upon me. My DVD Recorder broke and it seems like they don't produce DVD recorders anymore. Only HDD ones (without any chance to copy the recorded stuff on any physical media) and Blu-Ray ones (Which at least can record on DVDs too.). Earlier today I bought THE WORLD'S END on Blu (used for 5,99€) and I still don't really see any relevant change in quality. But I like how you can go to the menus without interrupting the movie and I have to admit it's nice to say: "Oh, they don't have the DVD, but the Blu doesn't cost much more and has all the bonus features, so I should get this instead."
Image
User avatar
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt
 
Posts: 2558
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:00 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Confused by the predominance of the word DVD here...

Postby so sorry on Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:37 am

DerLanghaarige wrote:So I finally had Blu-Ray forced upon me. My DVD Recorder broke and it seems like they don't produce DVD recorders anymore. Only HDD ones (without any chance to copy the recorded stuff on any physical media) and Blu-Ray ones (Which at least can record on DVDs too.). Earlier today I bought THE WORLD'S END on Blu (used for 5,99€) and I still don't really see any relevant change in quality. But I like how you can go to the menus without interrupting the movie and I have to admit it's nice to say: "Oh, they don't have the DVD, but the Blu doesn't cost much more and has all the bonus features, so I should get this instead."



What are you watching your DVD/Blus on? What size TV/resolution?
User avatar
so sorry
Deacon Blues
 
Posts: 15233
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:29 am

Re: Confused by the predominance of the word DVD here...

Postby DerLanghaarige on Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:38 am

32" TV, resolution: Got no idea. I'll tell you when I find the manual. I'm not saying that I can't see a difference between SD and HD and I won't rule out that the next TV that I buy might make this difference more visible (I bought this one in 2008), it's just nothing that makes me go WOW.
Image
User avatar
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt
 
Posts: 2558
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:00 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Confused by the predominance of the word DVD here...

Postby so sorry on Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:21 am

DerLanghaarige wrote:32" TV, resolution: Got no idea. I'll tell you when I find the manual. I'm not saying that I can't see a difference between SD and HD and I won't rule out that the next TV that I buy might make this difference more visible (I bought this one in 2008), it's just nothing that makes me go WOW.



Well I think that you would notice a difference with a larger widesceen HD screen vs. the smaller (probably not HD) TV you have now.
User avatar
so sorry
Deacon Blues
 
Posts: 15233
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:29 am

Re: Confused by the predominance of the word DVD here...

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:09 pm

yeah, you need a good-sized TV to really see the difference. 40" at least, probably 50+" to really get the benefit (depending how close you sit).
Image
User avatar
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger
 
Posts: 18607
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:00 pm

Re: Confused by the predominance of the word DVD here...

Postby DerLanghaarige on Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:35 pm

Until I move to a bigger place, I don't think that I will have the possibility of getting a bigger TV.
Although a friend of mine does have a 50" Full HD screen and I wasn't really that impressed either. (Maybe we sat too far away, I don't know.)
Image
User avatar
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt
 
Posts: 2558
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:00 pm
Location: Germany

PreviousNext

Return to DVD / Blu-ray

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron