It was on sale!

Betamax and beyond

Postby Fievel on Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:36 pm

Chilli wrote:
seppukudkurosawa wrote:
Fievel wrote:
I hate it when chicks with makeup on it join the smoking circle. I mean sure, you know someone's going to slobber on the damn thing but you don't need lipstick slobber to emphasize it.

I hate it when Christopher Walken with makeup on joins the smoking circle...

He finally chose his weapon of choice, I take it.

And there it sat... in his Grandfather's ass.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Chilli on Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:39 pm

Fievel wrote:
Chilli wrote:
seppukudkurosawa wrote:
Fievel wrote:
I hate it when chicks with makeup on it join the smoking circle. I mean sure, you know someone's going to slobber on the damn thing but you don't need lipstick slobber to emphasize it.

I hate it when Christopher Walken with makeup on joins the smoking circle...

He finally chose his weapon of choice, I take it.

And there it sat... in his Grandfather's ass.

Brings a tear to my eye.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby thebostonlocksmith on Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:33 am

Amazon currently have a 'Summer of British film' promotion...

I have all the ones i want but there are a few bargains in there and most of the stuff is either four or five quid... Including some Ealing comedies...
thebostonlocksmith
AIRWOLF

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:07 am

Buy.com has Blu-Ray discs as low as $15.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:21 am

Deep Discount is featuring some grindhouse flicks. And some Grindhouse flicks.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:40 pm

Buy 2, get 1 free on Anchor Bay horror at Deep Discount. Includes Masters of Horror.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby vicious_bastard on Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:03 am

I am berated regularly by my mates for the So Solid Crew DVD which I only bought to get a 'three for ten quid' deal when all other options were even worse. Being able to watch the divine Lisa Maffia in action whenever I want makes the abuse bearable.
vicious_bastard
AIRWOLF

Postby Fawst on Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:00 am

Ok, regardless of where you may stand on the format war, you really can't ignore that this is an amazing deal.

Tomorrow, November 2nd, starting at 8am, Wal-Mart will be selling the Toshiba HD-A2 HD-DVD player for like $99 bucks. Maybe it's $98. Bottom line, this is a deal that a lot of people should probably jump on. Call your local Wal-Mart to see if they are participating. It's a semi-advertised deal, I know they had an ad for it somewhere, but I can't find it on the website. There is an A/V forum I read that has it plastered all over their HD/BR forum.

I'll be buying one, but as a Christmas present for my mom. I don't have an HDTV yet :( Limit is one per person, and the sale starts at 8am. I couldn't let this one go unmentioned in the Zone...

EDIT: I only know of this deal existing in the US, not sure if Canada even has Wal-Mart, but I know it's an in-store exclusive sale.
Prince of the Land of Stench!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby so sorry on Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:07 am

Fawst wrote:Ok, regardless of where you may stand on the format war, you really can't ignore that this is an amazing deal.

Tomorrow, November 2nd, starting at 8am, Wal-Mart will be selling the Toshiba HD-A2 HD-DVD player for like $99 bucks. Maybe it's $98. Bottom line, this is a deal that a lot of people should probably jump on. Call your local Wal-Mart to see if they are participating. It's a semi-advertised deal, I know they had an ad for it somewhere, but I can't find it on the website. There is an A/V forum I read that has it plastered all over their HD/BR forum.

I'll be buying one, but as a Christmas present for my mom. I don't have an HDTV yet :( Limit is one per person, and the sale starts at 8am. I couldn't let this one go unmentioned in the Zone...

EDIT: I only know of this deal existing in the US, not sure if Canada even has Wal-Mart, but I know it's an in-store exclusive sale.

great find Fawst.

alas, I will be ignoring it. This would only spur me on to spend money buying HD-DVDs for titles I already own.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Fawst on Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:09 am

Heh fair enough :)

By the way, here is the "official" secret sale link.
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Coheed_and_Cambria on Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:16 am

I don't know, I always have fun with the dvd bins at Wal-Mart..

Just recently, Robocop 1, 2, and 3, $5.00 each...

American Beauty/Virgin Sucides 2 pack $9.96
Coheed_and_Cambria
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Fievel on Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:48 am

Fawst wrote:Tomorrow, November 2nd, starting at 8am, Wal-Mart will be selling the Toshiba HD-A2 HD-DVD player for like $99 bucks. Maybe it's $98. Bottom line, this is a deal that a lot of people should probably jump on.

..not if you wish to support Blu-Ray . :wink:

Too bad that 50" Plasma is only 720p.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby godzillasushi on Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:52 am

Fievel wrote:
Fawst wrote:Tomorrow, November 2nd, starting at 8am, Wal-Mart will be selling the Toshiba HD-A2 HD-DVD player for like $99 bucks. Maybe it's $98. Bottom line, this is a deal that a lot of people should probably jump on.

You could always get it and buy the dual format discs. Then you'd be supporting the fair share of movies that everyone deserves to enjoy, not just Sony on one side and Universal on the other.
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:58 am

godzillasushi wrote:
Fievel wrote:

You could always get it and buy the dual format discs. Then you'd be supporting the fair share of movies that everyone deserves to enjoy, not just Sony on one side and Universal on the other.

I don't swing both ways. 8)

Sales like that between now and Christmas are going to make the HD market in general explode.... likely with the huge nod going to HD-DVD. It'll probably be another year before Sony & Friends can even think about lower prices like that. Now if they can just get some under-$1,000 1080p Plasmas (with a brand name that I've at least heard of for 20 years)...........
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby godzillasushi on Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Well, I am considering just getting the HD-DVD for my 360. I didn't want to because DVD's play fine and look great on my Viseo (spelt wrong I think). All I need is something to play back all my DVD's and im happy. But I do want to eventually move that way. It's gotten to the point where I have to pick between Transformers and Spider-man 3. Kind of dumb. Since I have invested in a 360, smarter move on my part is the HD-DVD's.

But I am not for either format. I don't care haha. DVD's still look pretty great!

EDIT: Hey, do DVD's playback on both formats?
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fawst on Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:13 pm

Honestly, 1080p is just a buzzword. This player doesn't support it, but 720p is perfectly "fine." I personally want a 1080p set, but that's cuz I'm a tech whore. For most people (ie, the sheep), 720p is going to blow their minds and 1080p would just be wasted on them. Besides, unless you're buying a 60" or greater set, 1080p isn't THAT big of a deal. I know people can tell the difference, myself included, but tell that to the general populace. I mean, Best Buy did a survey, and something like 50% -- HALF OF THOSE SURVEYED -- didn't know you need a) an HD/BR player to play HD/BR discs, B) an HDTV, or C) that HD/BR even exist.

Sad, really. Ok, moving on from this, and back to good deals... HD-DVD versions of Twelve Monkeys, Blood Diamond and (the real winner here) Big Lebowski for 15 bucks tomorrow at Wal-Mart as well.
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:16 pm

Oooooohhhhhh linky no-worky anymore!

Fawst - if someone gave me a free 720p tv, I'm sure I'd love it. But if I'm paying for a new set, knowing that there's something better out there (and reasonably affordable) would kill me.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Fawst on Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:20 pm

Fair enough, and I agree :) We're geeks, though.
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:26 pm

Fawst wrote:Fair enough, and I agree :) We're geeks, though.

I'd drink to that if it weren't so early.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby godzillasushi on Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:30 pm

Yea you guys are really into it. I cared about how my games looked on the TV's. I love movies, but I don't need the best out there to enjoy them. I am one of the many drones out there with zero knowledge of movies and high-def TV's. All I know is that I don't like Sony, and I never will. And I buy their products anyway because im cheap. :lol:
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:35 pm

godzillasushi wrote:EDIT: Hey, do DVD's playback on both formats?

Yeah and most players will upconvert them to an HD res.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby godzillasushi on Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:38 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:
godzillasushi wrote:EDIT: Hey, do DVD's playback on both formats?

Yeah and most players will upconvert them to an HD res.

Does the 360 HD player do that?

(I don't even know if 780p/i is better the one another)

PS-I still have the use of VHS tapes :P

PS#2-Im unsmarted a lot

PS#3-PS3 sux
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fawst on Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:51 pm

The 360 drive DOES upconvert to 720p, but 1080p support is only available with an Elite or the new Pro with HDMI connections. There is like ONE game that supports 1080p right now, and I think it's NHL, maybe NBA 2k8 does too.

Ok, here's a quick explanation:

You've got your regular SDTVs which run in 480i (i is for interlaced). Every time the screen refreshes, it draws a full line of pixels horizontally starting at the top then skips a line, over and over, all the way down. The next refresh then draws the image on the horizontal lines that were skipped in the previous pass. So for every 1/60th of a second, half the image is available. Progressive (the p in 480/720/1080p) is when the entire image is drawn in a single pass, which results in smoother motion. It gets even more detailed beyond that (deinterlacing/2:3 pulldown), but for your purposes, I wouldn't be concerned. So long as you have a set that make your 360 games look good, you're gonna have movies that look just as good in hi-def, and standard def DVDs will be upconverted and look FAR better than any non-progressive DVD player can make them.
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:55 pm

Good brief oveview Fawst.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby DennisMM on Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:43 pm

Whilst shopping and browsing, I was reminded that the stereotype of Wal*Mart (and Sam's Club, their warehouse operation) shoppers as yahoos is not always undeserved. Only in the Walton family venues do I still regularly see full screen editions of the big new releases. Want Stardust in full screen? Hie thee to Wal*Mart.

Even Wal*Mart shoppers are learning, though, and iin the last few years there seems to have been serious over-ordering on the full screen DVDs. What the manufacturers won't accept for credit Wal*Mart shoves into the bargain bins. You're rustling through a bunch of old westerns and comedies when - hey! a movie from less than a year ago for six bucks! Then you see it's full screen.

*sigh*

That happened with The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen a few months ago. No way would I pay even ten bucks for that film, but I thought six was fair. I guess if you take away a third of the picture you can charge one-third less.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby minstrel on Tue Dec 25, 2007 3:52 am

DennisMM wrote:That happened with The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen a few months ago. No way would I pay even ten bucks for that film, but I thought six was fair. I guess if you take away a third of the picture you can charge one-third less.

In the case of that film, if you take away a third of the picture, you can charge MORE!
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Evil Hobbit on Tue Dec 25, 2007 6:33 am

Fawst wrote:The 360 drive DOES upconvert to 720p, but 1080p support is only available with an Elite or the new Pro with HDMI connections. There is like ONE game that supports 1080p right now, and I think it's NHL, maybe NBA 2k8 does too.

Ok, here's a quick explanation:

You've got your regular SDTVs which run in 480i (i is for interlaced). Every time the screen refreshes, it draws a full line of pixels horizontally starting at the top then skips a line, over and over, all the way down. The next refresh then draws the image on the horizontal lines that were skipped in the previous pass. So for every 1/60th of a second, half the image is available. Progressive (the p in 480/720/1080p) is when the entire image is drawn in a single pass, which results in smoother motion. It gets even more detailed beyond that (deinterlacing/2:3 pulldown), but for your purposes, I wouldn't be concerned. So long as you have a set that make your 360 games look good, you're gonna have movies that look just as good in hi-def, and standard def DVDs will be upconverted and look FAR better than any non-progressive DVD player can make them.

Does the add-on play 24p as well?
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Postby justcheckin on Tue Dec 25, 2007 9:05 am

I admit it... I Bin Dive at Walmart for the $5 movies...

*cries*
justcheckin
AIRWOLF

Postby justcheckin on Tue Dec 25, 2007 9:05 am

And I never find anything good.... *cries harder*
justcheckin
AIRWOLF

Postby Coheed_and_Cambria on Tue Dec 25, 2007 10:59 am

I bin dive all the time...the other day...The Doors and Popeye...

: )
Coheed_and_Cambria
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby minstrel on Tue Dec 25, 2007 1:08 pm

Wow. I've only been in a Wal-Mart twice in my life!

And neither was a particularly good experience. They have creepy old people who smile at you and try to say things to you as you desperately try to push past them ... ugh.
minstrel

Postby Spifftacular SquirrelGirl on Tue Dec 25, 2007 9:46 pm

minstrel wrote:Wow. I've only been in a Wal-Mart twice in my life!

And neither was a particularly good experience. They have creepy old people who smile at you and try to say things to you as you desperately try to push past them ... ugh.

Minstrel, are you talking about the greeter at the door? I think he was just trying to say hello before you pushed him down to the floor where his hip probably broke. -.-;

....they are kinda creepy. >.>
Spifftacular SquirrelGirl
AIRWOLF

Postby Terminator on Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:03 pm

I just went to Wal-Mart and got E.T. Ultimate Gift Set for $10. It's sold out on Amazon and it's on eBay for around $70. What be the dealio?
Terminator
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby minstrel on Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:30 pm

Terminator wrote:I just went to Wal-Mart and got E.T. Ultimate Gift Set for $10. It's sold out on Amazon and it's on eBay for around $70. What be the dealio?

Go back to Wal-Mart, buy some more for $10 each, and sell them on Ebay for $70 each, earning yourself a 600% profit.

That's the dealio.
minstrel

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:35 pm

Buy 2 get 1 Free on Sony Blu-ray at Deep Discount.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Terminator on Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:36 pm

They actually only had two. It's been years since i've actually seen the film, but I saw this big box and the $10 price tag was too good to pass up.
Terminator
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Nordling on Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:47 pm

minstrel wrote:
Terminator wrote:I just went to Wal-Mart and got E.T. Ultimate Gift Set for $10. It's sold out on Amazon and it's on eBay for around $70. What be the dealio?

Go back to Wal-Mart, buy some more for $10 each, and sell them on Ebay for $70 each, earning yourself a 600% profit.

That's the dealio.

Goddamn that's a good purchase there, Terminator.

I just bought the LOTR Limited Editions and 300 2-disc, brand new, on sale at Hollywood Video. Spent $37. (a 3 for $25 deal and 300 for $9.99)

Pretty much had to buy it. And yes, I already own the LOTR Extendeds, but they're getting the worse for wear so I wanted some backup.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby Nordling on Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:02 pm

Best Buy has a decent sale going on right now. I bought RIO BRAVO the 2-disc for $7.50 and the CITIZEN KANE 2-disc for $9.99. These are replacements (I never got my RIO BRAVO back from an asshole I lent it to, and for some reason I can't find my KANE either.).

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=pcmcat129100050001&type=category - the $7.50 sale (THE FOUNTAIN's in there too!)

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=pcmcat127300050002&type=category - the $9.99 special edition sale (BOOGIE NIGHTS, SEVEN, UNFORGIVEN, CASABLANCA)
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:02 pm

Hi Def movies starting at $15 at Buy.com.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:31 am

Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:19 pm

Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chris a.k.a StuntMike on Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:22 pm

Future Shop Canada has a Lethal Weapon Directors Cut 1-4 single package set for $12.99
Chris a.k.a StuntMike
Not without incident

Postby Chris a.k.a StuntMike on Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:23 pm

They also have a Seagal set(Fire Down Below, Out For Justice, Above the Law, The Glimmer Man) for $12.99
Chris a.k.a StuntMike
Not without incident

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Sat May 17, 2008 2:38 am

Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Mon May 26, 2008 3:07 pm

Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re: It was on sale!

Postby SilentBobX on Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:49 pm

Big Lots(US) has a HUGE $3 dvd section now at least in my current location. I got Live From Baghdad with Michael Keaton and Poolhall Junkies.

The selection was quite immense.

Mahalo
SilentBobX
AIRWOLF

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:48 am

Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Maui on Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:37 pm

OD'd on Carpenter and Kurt Russell today:

Escape from LA - $6
Big Trouble in Little China - $6
Maui
WoWie

Postby The Vicar on Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:47 pm

I'm getting an Admiral Adama and a Colonel Saul Tigh wee action figures.
Just got the Pegasus miniature and waiting on Galatica,
so both can join the Enterprise, Serenity the Tardis in my Zen Garden.
I can haz all yor toyz......
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby The Vicar on Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:48 pm

Maui wrote:OD'd on Carpenter and Kurt Russell today:

Escape from LA - $6
Big Trouble in Little China - $6

Damned good twin bill, that.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

PreviousNext