Random Coaxial

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Re: Random Coaxial

Postby Peven on Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:28 pm

you know, a cool cheesy idea for a series would be to use old 70's/80's science fiction movies/shows as templates for the worlds the family lands on, like a Planet of the Apes world, Land of the Lost world, Krypton, etc.

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Peven on Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:16 am

watched "Altered Carbon" last week and liked it overall. there are some interesting concepts they play around with, but not too deep as to lose your average joe-viewer, at least not too many, and they keep the story twisting and turning although it ends up at a fairly conventional conclusion. it's no BladeRunner 2049 but not bad for a one-off season of science fiction

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby so sorry on Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:48 pm

This looks pretty good actually.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:18 pm

i am morbidly curious.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:02 am

I never thought I'd try a one-month free trial for YouTube Red, but I will go down that road for this.
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY

Postby so sorry on Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:02 pm

That trailer is really well done. The first trailer I saw made it look kinda campy, but this new one gives me a different vibe.

I don't think they are setting Danny up as "the bad guy", but he certainly comes across as a Struggling Background Artist.

I won't be sucked into the YouTube Red just for this, but I hope to eventually catch it somehow.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:03 pm

i'm guessing johnny is gonna try to be a miyagi figure to those kids, but his inner kreese is gonna come out and he's gonna struggle between his reformed good side and his darker inner demons. he's gonna start to go too far and turning those kids from the victims to the bullies themselves, but then daniel will come in and remind him of how things went down and get him back on the straight and narrow, and in the end they'll team up to help out the kids in nice wholesome karate kid fashion.
my only question is, who is the REAL villain gonna be. there's gotta be a true bad guy for them to team up against. maybe kreese will return in a wheelchair with his "partner" dutch pushing him around, constantly tempting johnny by urging him to "sweep the leg" at every opportunity.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Peven on Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:42 pm

watched the first episode of Lost in Space and found it pretty good, looking forward to more.....

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Peven on Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:24 pm

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Wolfpack on Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:48 pm

Why did they name their little cult after a medication for GERD?
"Alright Shaggy - you and Scooby head over that way. The girls and I will go this way."
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:08 pm

Anybody watching "Roseanne"? It's fuckin depressing! Can't wait until somebody is diagnosed with cancer.
caruso_stalker217

Postby so sorry on Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:14 pm

caruso_stalker217 wrote:Anybody watching "Roseanne"? It's fuckin depressing! Can't wait until somebody is diagnosed with cancer.

Didn't get me interested enough to watch it again. Question: how did they handle the whole "won the lottery" shit from the last season in the original run? Didn't she win millions of dollars in the lottery, then dan died?
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Peven on Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:29 pm

Roseanne is a worthless lump of shit. no, check that. that isn't fair to lumps of shit everywhere, lumps of shit at least have value as fertilizer.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:17 pm

so sorry wrote:
caruso_stalker217 wrote:Anybody watching "Roseanne"? It's fuckin depressing! Can't wait until somebody is diagnosed with cancer.

Didn't get me interested enough to watch it again. Question: how did they handle the whole "won the lottery" shit from the last season in the original run? Didn't she win millions of dollars in the lottery, then dan died?

They sorta poke fun at/gloss over it and imply it was all just part of that book she was writing, which is sitting in the garage collecting dust. I wonder if the Steven Seagal terrorist stuff was in the book too.
caruso_stalker217

Postby TheBaxter on Mon May 07, 2018 10:02 am

so sorry wrote:

so i watched this whole series over the weekend, and it turned out to be pretty damn good actually. it definitely hits the nostalgia bone pretty hard... too hard at times, there are lots of callbacks to the original movie (and the two primary sequels, but alas, no hilary swank cameo). it's hard to believe some of those locations are still around; some of its probably recreated, but they did a real good job if so. most of the references are clever or natural enough, but some are a little over the top or copycattish, especially during the final episode. still, it stands up on its own.

when this was first announced, i thought it would be a campy jokey take on the story, and while there's definitely some humor mined from these two characters and their ongoing rivalry continuing into middle age, the overall vibe is very similar to the original film. a lot of that is thanks to the kid characters, who are a bit more complex this time around. there are no cookie cutter villain types (well, there is, but they're only secondary characters) and instead both the kid and adult characters are wrestling with their good and bad sides. the most interesting relationship is between johnny and his new student, a bullied kid he reluctantly starts teaching karate. the arc of that relationship is pretty predictable (the kid has a positive influence on johnny, and he has a negative influence on the kid) but it plays out well and mostly avoids devolving into just stereotypes (and as there is clearly setup for a 2nd season, there is still plenty unresolved by the time the finale ends).

the weakest part of the series is probably macchio, but in fairness, he also has the most thankless role. no longer the poor bullied new kid, he's now a very wealthy car dealer with a seemingly perfect life. and while it turns out his life isn't as perfect as it first seems, it's still pretty damn close. the issues he's dealing with don't come near being as interesting or dramatic as johnny's, they barely even qualify as First World Problems (Peven and Kirks would hate this guy). the writers have a lot more to work with for Johnny, and i'm calling it now: William Zabka for the Emmy! you can call him "Sweep the Emmys" Johnny now.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby so sorry on Mon May 07, 2018 1:06 pm

TheBaxter wrote:
so sorry wrote:

so i watched this whole series over the weekend, and it turned out to be pretty damn good actually. it definitely hits the nostalgia bone pretty hard... too hard at times, there are lots of callbacks to the original movie (and the two primary sequels, but alas, no hilary swank cameo). it's hard to believe some of those locations are still around; some of its probably recreated, but they did a real good job if so. most of the references are clever or natural enough, but some are a little over the top or copycattish, especially during the final episode. still, it stands up on its own.

when this was first announced, i thought it would be a campy jokey take on the story, and while there's definitely some humor mined from these two characters and their ongoing rivalry continuing into middle age, the overall vibe is very similar to the original film. a lot of that is thanks to the kid characters, who are a bit more complex this time around. there are no cookie cutter villain types (well, there is, but they're only secondary characters) and instead both the kid and adult characters are wrestling with their good and bad sides. the most interesting relationship is between johnny and his new student, a bullied kid he reluctantly starts teaching karate. the arc of that relationship is pretty predictable (the kid has a positive influence on johnny, and he has a negative influence on the kid) but it plays out well and mostly avoids devolving into just stereotypes (and as there is clearly setup for a 2nd season, there is still plenty unresolved by the time the finale ends).

the weakest part of the series is probably macchio, but in fairness, he also has the most thankless role. no longer the poor bullied new kid, he's now a very wealthy car dealer with a seemingly perfect life. and while it turns out his life isn't as perfect as it first seems, it's still pretty damn close. the issues he's dealing with don't come near being as interesting or dramatic as johnny's, they barely even qualify as First World Problems (Peven and Kirks would hate this guy). the writers have a lot more to work with for Johnny, and i'm calling it now: William Zabka for the Emmy! you can call him "Sweep the Emmys" Johnny now.

Sounds good! I guess I have to sign up for youtube RED now.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheBaxter on Mon May 07, 2018 1:58 pm

it's worth the free signup. just don't forget to cancel before they start charging. and don't forget to re-sign-up before season 2 whenever it comes.
also, the first 2 episodes are available without signing up, so you can watch those first and then decide if you want to continue.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby so sorry on Tue May 08, 2018 4:48 pm

TheBaxter wrote:it's worth the free signup. just don't forget to cancel before they start charging. and don't forget to re-sign-up before season 2 whenever it comes.
also, the first 2 episodes are available without signing up, so you can watch those first and then decide if you want to continue.

Watched the first two freebies. Definitely interested in watching the rest. I'm a little shocked by Zabtka's acting, in a good way. I thought the side characters are pretty cut and paste stereotypes, but maybe by series end I'll be proven wrong (I'm looking at you, studly curly haired rich drunken funny bully kid who's the "funny one").
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheBaxter on Wed May 09, 2018 11:39 am

yeah, the school bullies (and the rich snobby girls) are pretty much just one-dimensional stereotypical plot devices. but luckily, they don't play as big of a part in the story as it may first appear.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sun May 13, 2018 6:34 pm

2 very enjoyable and fast moving episodes in and I'm sold. I like the set up of the younger characters that will later challenge the older original characters and a clash of loyalties could cause separations or conflicts in relationships. Maybe Johnny will use Danny's daughter against him, I like the directions all of this can go.

Great performances by both leads, tensions already are highly raised and are bound to come to a nerve wracking confrontation later.

Not sure how to sign up for Youtube Red though. Ralph Macchio told me it's free but when I look up Ep3 on Youtube Red it says it's $1.89.

TheBaxter, I know we get on so tremendously well so can I have your username and password so I can watch this for free? Otherwise how do I do it another way?
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby TheBaxter on Sun May 13, 2018 11:29 pm

sure, here ya go:

username: anita_mandy_knight
password: andy_betta_behung
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby so sorry on Thu May 24, 2018 11:55 am

Matt Groening's new show "Disenchantment" on Netflix

Didn't even know this was a thing, but apparently its been in development for a few years and is premiering in august.

I'd give it a shot (if I had netflix)...
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Peven on Thu May 24, 2018 12:46 pm

screw that f@t white-privileged putz. his spineless behavior is representative of a big part of why Trump and his inbred minions are running rampant.

.….....and The Simpsons is one of the most overrated tv shows of all time and was never nearly as good as the show that spawned it, The Tracy Ullman Show.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby so sorry on Fri May 25, 2018 10:14 am

Peven wrote:.….....and The Simpsons is one of the most overrated tv shows of all time ...

LOL.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Peven on Fri May 25, 2018 10:51 am

next to South Park it is like a Nancy cartoon strip. meh.

it's mass appeal non-threatening fluff. the Flinstones of its time.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby so sorry on Fri May 25, 2018 1:11 pm

Peven wrote:next to South Park it is like a Nancy cartoon strip. meh.

Right, because nothing says intelligent humor like a show with a pot smoking, talking piece of shit. To each his own...
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Fri May 25, 2018 3:40 pm

In its day, The Simpsons was unfuckwithable. But that was like 80 years ago. It needs to die.

I've only seen screenshots from this "Disenchanted" thing. The character designs are hideous and make me tired.
caruso_stalker217

Postby Ribbons on Sat May 26, 2018 1:49 pm

All I know is that The Simpsons was great and Futurama was great. I'm skeptical about this thing, but can't count it out completely.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Sat May 26, 2018 2:23 pm

Im sure I'll check it out, just because it'll be on Netflix. Matt Groening isn't a selling point for me at this moment in history, so I have no particular expectations.
caruso_stalker217

Postby so sorry on Tue May 29, 2018 3:30 pm

This just in: Roasanne Barr is a nasty bitch

In other shocking news, the sky is blue.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Peven on Tue May 29, 2018 3:57 pm

so sorry wrote:This just in: Roasanne Barr is a nasty bitch

and now she is a cancelled skanky bitch :-P :D :lol:

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheBaxter on Tue May 29, 2018 4:04 pm

Peven wrote:
so sorry wrote:This just in: Roasanne Barr is a nasty bitch

and now she is a cancelled skanky bitch :-P :D :lol:

i wonder how long it will take Trump to send her another congratulatory tweet this time.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Tue May 29, 2018 5:08 pm

Some birds are not meant to be caged.
caruso_stalker217

Postby Fievel on Tue May 29, 2018 6:37 pm

caruso_stalker217 wrote:Some birds are not meant to be caged.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Peven on Thu May 31, 2018 6:39 pm

has anyone watched the latest David Chappelle specials on Netflix? overall they are some pretty good shit, Chappelle is certainly not going to be accused of being politically correct, but he is also a master of using humor to soften it when he knows he is going into dangerous territory while also maintaining his particular point of view on the subject. the first time I saw his stand-up with the "Killing Them Softly" special I thought Chappelle was one of the funniest stand-ups I had ever heard, I laughed my ass off through that act. his show was a fucking masterpiece. now he is a more grizzled, serious, and chubbier version of his younger self but he hasn't lost a bit of wit, he is still a very funny man.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Thu May 31, 2018 9:14 pm

Those specials are brilliant. Chapelle is getting better with age.
caruso_stalker217

Postby Ribbons on Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:25 pm

I've watched all of the new Chappelle specials as well. He's always effortlessly hilarious, but I'll admit that he can be a little tin-eared when it comes to trans people and sexual harassment, a couple of matters he got raked over the #woke Internet coals for. It's his right to offer up his own perspective on current events, but those attitudes date his humor somewhat. That said, I like how he reflects on his own opinions and challenges them somewhat (even if he does decide that he was right all along). The pivot into seriousness is the element of his stand-up that I think has evolved and improved over time: he's able to monologue for ten minutes at a time about something important and not lose the audience. With his charismatic way of delivering speeches, Chappelle can command your attention even when he's not trying to be funny... then use a well-timed joke to bring the house down.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Previous

Return to Coaxial