The Shannara Chronicles

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

The Shannara Chronicles

Postby Peven on Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:35 pm

story on main site about Terry Brooks' "Shannara" books being adapted for the big screen is so fucking depressing. while other quality books in the fantasy genre are passed over lame derivative shit like this gets chosen by the studios.

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Fawst on Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:37 pm

I am over-fucking-joyed, to be honest. This is the best news I could hear short of Thundarr being made into a film. Like most everyone is saying in the TB, this really is a ripoff of LOTR, but Brooks gives it his own spin. I've only ever read the first and third books, The Sword of Shannara and The Wishsong of Shannara. I loved them both dearly. Personally, I feel that TSOS is just a little "TOO SOON!" in a post-LOTR world. It really is almost the same damn thing. But oh well. I'll take it! Depending on the creative talent behind this, it could be absolutely stunning, or a complete letdown.
Prince of the Land of Stench!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Peven on Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:54 pm

i read the first book, "Sword of Shannara" back when i was a teenager, and even then it seemed lightweight compared to other sci-fi/fantasy that i would read. now, maybe that means it will be an easier translation into movie-form, but imo there are more worthy authors whose work sits on the shelves passed over by the studios, work that i would much rather see on screen than Shannara.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby magicmonkey on Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:09 am

I agree that there is more worthy material, but when it comes to getting butts in cinema then rings proved it could be done. I read the first Shannara trilogy as an early teen and I must admit I really enjoyed it as the lightweight fantasy fiction it was. Allanon the badass 7ft Druid would kick gandalfs gnarly butt and as for looking for rings, well, fuck that, these guys have a sword!

I never really enjoyed the LOTR films, maybe the Shannara movies will be my little geekgasm.

Or quite possibly not...
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Re: SHANNARA

Postby Ribbons on Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:41 pm

They ended up making this into a series on MTV, of all things. So now it's not only derivative of Lord of the Rings, but Twilight and The Hunger Games as well.

I've been watching it for the last few days because I was looking for something dumb to have on in the background while I worked. As far as that goes, it's been doing a pretty good job (although the production values are surprisingly respectable). It's streaming on Netflix, so I guess if anyone out there actually likes the Shannara books, they can head there and have their loyalty rewarded.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:33 pm

Ribbons wrote:They ended up making this into a series on MTV, of all things. So now it's not only derivative of Lord of the Rings, but Twilight and The Hunger Games as well.

do the dwarves sparkle?
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Ribbons on Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:05 pm

No, but only because they live in the Pacific Northwest.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Peven on Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:57 am

they're grunge dwarves?

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Re: The Shannara Chronicles

Postby so sorry on Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:31 pm

In case you're wondering, this is the Sha Na Na Chronicles.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Return to Coaxial