The Umbrella Academy

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

The Umbrella Academy

Postby Peven on Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:29 pm

finished watching this over the weekend and thoroughly enjoyed it, Klaus is my favorite. can't wait for season 2. all sort of cool stuff in that "world" to explore that wasn't explained in season 1

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Re: The Umbrella Academy

Postby Al Shut on Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:37 pm

I have to say watching more trailers online make it seem more interesting than the one I saw on TV.

Does it feature the evil orchestra from the comic books? I was always wondering how that would sound when I read it.
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Peven on Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:01 pm

Al Shut wrote:I have to say watching more trailers online make it seem more interesting than the one I saw on TV.

Does it feature the evil orchestra from the comic books? I was always wondering how that would sound when I read it.

no evil orchestra......technically...…...yet? :D

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Ribbons on Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:54 am

I just binged all of season 1, which is good timing since the next batch of episodes comes out at the end of this month. I'd read the comic, so I had some idea what to expect, but was still curious how they would handle the live-action adaptation of something that leans so heavily on a cartoonish visual style and a heightened sense of reality. They do an admirable job of bridging that gap, incorporating as many of the book's weirder elements as possible (including Pogo, the talking chimp butler) and fleshing out both the world and the characters to make them feel more grounded and realistic. As with the source material, The Umbrella Academy isn't necessarily "about" anything in particular, but its appeal lies in throwing all of pop culture into a blender (from the X-Men to The Royal Tenenbaums to the Kennedy assassination to Phantom of the Opera) and synthesizing it into something wholly unique.

Peven wrote:thoroughly enjoyed it, Klaus is my favorite.

If I had to pick a favorite, I'd go with Number Five, who doesn't leave much of an impression in the comics but is brought to life by a fantastic child actor named Aidan Gallagher. I don't know where the hell they found him, but he holds his own with every adult on the show. That said, each member of the Academy has their own appeal (except for Diego, who I didn't much care for).

Al Shut wrote:Does it feature the evil orchestra from the comic books? I was always wondering how that would sound when I read it.

It does not. The conductor of the Evil Orchestra is changed to a character named Harold Jenkins, whose function in the story (and ultimate demise) is the same even though the role is vastly different. The "Apocalypse Suite" is still the climax that the entire season is built around, but they take a different route to get there.

Here's a trailer for season 2 (July 31st, mofos!):

Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Peven on Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:03 pm

Ribbons wrote:
Peven wrote:thoroughly enjoyed it, Klaus is my favorite.

If I had to pick a favorite, I'd go with Number Five, who doesn't leave much of an impression in the comics but is brought to life by a fantastic child actor named Aidan Gallagher. I don't know where the hell they found him, but he holds his own with every adult on the show. That said, each member of the Academy has their own appeal (except for Diego, who I didn't much care for).

number 5 is my 1a favorite. I have adopted one of my favorite lines of his as my catchphrase, "I don't think I'm better than you, I KNOW I'm better than you!". :-P :-P :-P :-P

for realz, I do love his story and the depth that kid actor brings to it, he's great.

i don't really care for Diego, either, but I really can't stand number 1, what a fucking putz.

i'm looking forward to this next season with the same level of anticipation I used to have with each new season of GoT, and The Boys season 2 is coming soon so it is a double shot of pop pulp goodness.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Al Shut on Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:16 am

Ribbons wrote: I don't know where the hell they found him, but he holds his own with every adult on the show.

On Nickelodeon I believe. In fact I'm pretty sure because I have the silly show he was on running in the background right now. :oops:
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Ribbons on Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:44 pm

Here's the opening scene of season 2, which drops on Netflix this Friday:

Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Peven on Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:13 pm

i am not watching anything until friday

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby so sorry on Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:23 pm

I've been toying with the notion of watching this series, but haven't pulled the trigger.
That trailer doesn't help...

I'm all for campy fun superhero shit, so maybe I'll just give it a go.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Ribbons on Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:03 pm

so sorry wrote:I'm all for campy fun superhero shit, so maybe I'll just give it a go.

Yes, do eeet
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Peven on Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:23 am

so sorry wrote:I'm all for campy fun superhero shit, so maybe I'll just give it a go.

except that I don't really consider it camp at all. on the contrary, I think the Avengers are much more camp than Umbrella Academy, AntMan is waaaaaay more camp. Umbrella Academy is smarter, existentially more complex and more mature emotionally than almost the entire MCU.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Peven on Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:54 am

season 2 was solid, though its reach was greater than its grasp in some areas. I feel like it could have used a couple more episodes to explore and fill out those parts.

still, overall, I really enjoyed it and characters I didn't like the first season I liked this time around. I'm looking at you Diego and Luthor. those guys provided some great laughs this season, and Diego I think had the funniest scenes in the series, while both being portrayed as oversized lovelorn boys trying to be heroes. I guess that is why i liked them so much more this time around. meanwhile I found Klaus much less likeable this time, and I hated Vanya just the same. I confess it may just be that gargantuan fucking forehead which is an affront to nature, but she also makes choices that are infuriating again and again.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Return to Coaxial