Random Coaxial

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Re: Random Coaxial

Postby so sorry on Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:37 am

Wolfpack wrote:Watching Neill Blomkamp's Oats Studios on Netflix. If you liked Love, Death, and Robots this will be your kind of thing. It's a series of sci-fi shorts and the one called Zygote gives a taste of what Alien 5 might've been like.

"...short films that envision post-apocalyptic worlds and nightmare scenarios".

But only in short clips, so its more palatable!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:38 am

so sorry wrote:
Wolfpack wrote:Watching Neill Blomkamp's Oats Studios on Netflix. If you liked Love, Death, and Robots this will be your kind of thing. It's a series of sci-fi shorts and the one called Zygote gives a taste of what Alien 5 might've been like.

"...short films that envision post-apocalyptic worlds and nightmare scenarios".

But only in short clips, so its more palatable!

if you want the long version, just go outside.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Ribbons on Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:28 pm

TheBaxter wrote:just watched Midnight Mass on Netflix, the latest Stephen King adaptation by director Mike Flanagan.

ok, it's not actually a Stephen King adaptation, but it sure feels like one. the King influence is strong with this one, pulling elements from works like Storm of the Century, The Mist, The Green Mile, and, most strongly of all, i'm not even going to say it in spoiler text because it would reveal too much about this show. i was getting a strong vibe of that last one even from the first episode, though the similarities to that particular book really aren't revealed until about halfway through the series.

i really enjoyed it, despite a pretty slow start. there are a few really long, pretentious monologues where people have complicated philosophical discussions that feel like they're pulled more from a philosophy textbook than any kind of real-life conversation, but for the most part they didn't bother me too much (and the last one was pretty beautifully written, and probably the rest of the series was mostly just an excuse to have a character recite this particular monologue, but luckily the lead-up to it was good enough to be worthwhile in its own right).

Just finished watching this miniseries and I thought it was a masterpiece. It feels like watching literature (which I understand will be a turn-off for some), both because it tackles heady themes like alcoholism, mortality and religion in ways that are organic and integral to the story, and because there are so many Easter eggs sprinkled throughout the show that I feel like it would benefit greatly from a re-watch and analysis. One example among many: "Everything gets its wings clipped eventually." Couple that with the large ensemble of memorable characters, unfolding mystery, gorgeous cinematography, and genuine horror that I can't believe Flanagan and Netflix managed to pull it off.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Previous

Return to Coaxial