Old TV Shows you want released on DVD

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Old TV Shows you want released on DVD

Postby John-Locke on Tue Jul 19, 2005 5:16 pm

I'd Love to have Bakersfield P.D., Maximum Bob, Karen Sisco and Twin Peaks Season 2 released on DVD.

If I get some strong suggestions I'll start a poll at the top.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby so sorry on Tue Jul 19, 2005 5:29 pm

I think this is one of the most saturated markets out there right know. There's a DVD collection for "Ned and Stacey" for fucks sake! And man, I couldn't live without my "Fresh Prince of Bel Aire season 2" collection. I think a better topic would be what old shows should NOT have been released on DVD.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TonyWilson on Tue Jul 19, 2005 5:30 pm

Is Pete & Pete out??
Or what about Wild Palms??
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby John-Locke on Tue Jul 19, 2005 5:33 pm

Tony I know you can get Pete & Pete on R1 DVD, not sure about Wild Palms, good call though on both, I remember when it came out they tried to advertise it as being made by Lynch, It has some good moments, I remember liking Robert Loggia and Brad Douriff.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Jul 19, 2005 5:43 pm

Tales from the Darkside... please?
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby cockknocker on Tue Jul 19, 2005 6:03 pm

I really want both series of Earthworm Jim on DVD. My other big want is thundercats but i hear that will be out on dvd soon! Yipee! Id also like to see Lee and Herrings fist of fun and tmwrnj on dvd, but you can download episodes so i guess its not so bad. I'm sure there are others i cant think of right now.
"Around dawn in Edinburgh is a really good time to see the castle wandering around, having a wank. "
cockknocker
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby bluebottle on Tue Jul 19, 2005 6:04 pm

*sigh*

WKRP (it'll never happen due to music rights issues)
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Oversaturated? But I need my "Saved by the Bell"!

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Jul 19, 2005 6:31 pm

Dr. Katz:Professional Therapist

The Larry Sanders Show

Twitch City

The Tick

And can someone get their heads out of their ass and release "Spaced" in the colonies? I wanna be cool like the Brits!
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby John-Locke on Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:31 pm

Dr Katz, ha it's been years since I even thought about that show, it was very funny but the animation got old quick, Not sure i'd be mentaly healthy after a Jumbo Marathon of Dr Katz.

Thanks for reminding me, i've got his face stuck in my mind now, and it's moving around the edges :-)
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Coldfire24 on Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:27 pm

I agree that the tick should be on Dvd. Now i'm gonna go slightly animated here so watch out. The Tick that whole series is just awesome still funny no matter how old you get. X-men and Spiderman when saturday morning cartoons were at their best in my childhood these two shows ended the morning with a bang. They helped shape the geek I am today and from what i've learned are very true to the source material. Would love to see these three cartoon shows on DvD.
Coldfire24
AIRWOLF

Postby The Garbage Man on Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:28 pm

Coldfire24 wrote:I agree that the tick should be on Dvd. Now i'm gonna go slightly animated here so watch out. The Tick that whole series is just awesome still funny no matter how old you get. X-men and Spiderman when saturday morning cartoons were at their best in my childhood these two shows ended the morning with a bang. They helped shape the geek I am today and from what i've learned are very true to the source material. Would love to see these three cartoon shows on DvD.

Damn, I was just about to list the exact same shows. I remember religiously watching all three of them on FOX Kids every Saturday morning.
I'd also like to throw out a nom' to "In Search of..." (the old one hosted by Nimoy, not that crappy newer one). I never intended to watch that show, but each time it was on I was drawn in by the power of The Leonard.
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby St. Alphonzo on Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:56 am

How about "Tales of the Gold Monkey"?

Ah shit, I probably should have posted that one in the "AICN Confessions" forum.
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Postby Coldfire24 on Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:29 am

In Search of with Nimoy would scare the shit out of me when I was little yet I kept watching like a horror movie. That show was just creepy. Garbage man thats twice now we've had like the same taste. You are now offically declared cool in my book.
Coldfire24
AIRWOLF

Postby Agent Alonzo on Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:34 am

St. Alphonzo wrote:How about "Tales of the Gold Monkey"?

Ah shit, I probably should have posted that one in the "AICN Confessions" forum.

I loved that damn show...

I wish they would bring Spaced out in the US (British sitcom by the people behind Shaun of the Dead).
alonzo..... my apologies you ho-bag! - banthafodderUK

...that was the funniest post I've ever read at AICN. Comedy gold. I'm stealing it and shooting it in nothing other than a static two-shot. - Kevin Smith
Agent Alonzo
UMAGAA OMBONGO

Postby burlivesleftnut on Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:16 am

Is Six Million Dollar Man out yet? I love it and its melancholic spin off, the Bionic Woman.

Also... LOBO.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Pacino86845 on Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:26 am

Ok ok... The Adventures of Brisco County Jr. !!!!!!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby PVIII on Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:57 am

SeaQuest DSV and Space: Above and Beyond. I can't believe they actually released Earth 2 though.

PVIII
"It's an Illusion!"--GOB
PVIII
MONKEY BUTLER

Brisco

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:03 am

Great Caesars Ghost!!! I haven't thought about that show since I religiously followed it.

"Now, when I say, "Who's da mastah?" you say, "Sho'Nuff!"

The greatness of Julius Carry!
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:06 am

Great call on Twin Peaks Season 2, John. I'd also quite like a Larry Sanders boxset. And Nathan Barley too, but I hear that's coming out in September.

Also, a few years ago, David Walliams, Matt Lucas and Edgar Wright made these spoofs of American sitcoms - 5 minute long sketches of shows with titles like "My Dumbledore Dads". I think they did it under the name of Mash and Eggs or something like that. It's rumoured to be on the Little Britain series 2 DVD.

If it is, I'll buy the DVD just for that. It was probably the funniest thing I've ever seen on TV.
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby thomasgaffney on Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:10 am

Tales of the Gold Monkey! And Misfits of Science!
find me: twitter and goodreads
find my book: amazon
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby PVIII on Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:21 am

The DVD rights for Twin Peaks have switched hands, and Season 1 (re-released in a boxset) and 2 will be out some time in the next year.

PVIII
"It's an Illusion!"--GOB
PVIII
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:28 am

Great news! It's crazy that it has taken them so long

Cheers PVIII - I'm not following you around these forums, by the way!

In fact, in recognition of this fantastic news, I'm changing my sig pic (again)
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby PVIII on Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:46 am

Personally I was a fan of the Carnivale Midget. But yeah, I'm pretty psyched too. I've never really seen all of season 2 which is weird, and didn't end up buying season one since I kept borrowing it from my friend, and the special features were so weak. I remember a dude in a Panda suit during season 2, and of course the fantastic finale with that haunting final song. Some "Bayou" I think. I had it downloaded at one point.

PVIII
"It's an Illusion!"--GOB
PVIII
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby John-Locke on Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:16 am

ThisIsTheGirl wrote:Also, a few years ago, David Walliams, Matt Lucas and Edgar Wright made these spoofs of American sitcoms - 5 minute long sketches of shows with titles like "My Dumbledore Dads". I think they did it under the name of Mash and Eggs or something like that. It's rumoured to be on the Little Britain series 2 DVD.

They were called "Mash & Peas", I used to watch them on Paramount Comedy Channel in the 90's along with Dr Katz, Bakerfield P.D and many other great shows that you could only find there.

They done a spoof on Only Fools and Horses set in a New York Pizzaria, only Rodney (Wailliams) was English, and Del Boy (Lucas) called him Roderney. Boysie was call HomeBoysie, was black and when he entered he got a Norm from Cheers style reception from the Studio audience. Then Uncle Albert comes out of the Kitchen with a pizza, only he's a robot (think Metal Mickey) and can only say "Does not compute".

Seriously they were some of the funniest sketches since Python better than Little Britain IMHO, they done a Why Dont You spoof which I can vaigely remember, a Victoria Wood on a Piano with Wailliams playing the Tea lady.

If they are on the season 2 DVD i'll be buying it.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:47 am

I'm so glad someone knew what I was talking about - most people give me blank looks when I mention it.

I remember the only fools n horses one - I think when HomeBoysie comes in, after his first round of applause, he said something like "thanks for that tip about those shares, Del - now I can get out of the ghetto" and gets another round of applause! That used to make me wet myself.

They also did a Seinfeld one, where Walliams played Kramer. I think his only dialogue was "yadda yadda yadda" - pure genius. Any ideas when Little Britain S2 is coming out?
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby John-Locke on Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:50 am

I never saw the Seinfeld one, they were always on aat random times as filler for the 22 minute US shows on the Channel.

I hope they do come out, but I have no idea when.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby WinslowLeach on Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:44 pm

TV Shows Id like to get in DVD box sets:

Batman (60s TV show)
The Green Hornet
Mission Impossible
The Banana Splits
RAT Patrol
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:35 pm

The Dino, he gotta have his "Kolchak: The Night Stalker" onna the DVD. What kind a world is it where we no gotta the Kolchack onna the DVD?
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby TonyWilson on Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:03 pm

Seriusly though Wild Palms, too good for TV back then, far too good.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson

Postby WinslowLeach on Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:11 pm

2 More: Grizzly Adams and The Master starring Lee Van Cleef! 8)
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby PVIII on Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:24 pm

John Doe was ok. I might get that on DVD. I mean, probably not, but maybe if I was drunk.

PVIII
"It's an Illusion!"--GOB
PVIII
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Man-in-the-Box on Thu Jul 21, 2005 4:07 pm

I'm all about the WKRP.
I'm not with Cowbell, he's with me.
Man-in-the-Box
AIRWOLF

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Thu Jul 21, 2005 4:10 pm

Anyone a know how a the John Doe, she end? The Dino, he quit a watchin' after about a number 3 episode. I figured the John Doe guy? he a robot or something...
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby PVIII on Thu Jul 21, 2005 4:14 pm

According to the producers he died, but before he went to heaven he got all of the angels knowledge and fell back to earth with it.

PVIII
"It's an Illusion!"--GOB
PVIII
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby burlivesleftnut on Thu Jul 21, 2005 4:14 pm

The bartender was the bad guy. I can't remember why he was so smart.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Re: Oversaturated? But I need my "Saved by the Bell&qu

Postby bluebottle on Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:25 pm

keepcoolbutcare wrote:Twitch City

How did you see Twitch City in California?!

If everything works out it should be released soon.
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Canadian girlfriends...

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:58 pm

TWITCH CITY

First heard of it through my Canadian girlfriends brother when I went up for a visit to Toronto. Then (and I'm not positive about this) I'm pretty convinced that Bravo was airing them at some point here in the States. But this was 4-5 years ago. Haven't seen or heard anything about the show since. I've only seen maybe 3,4 episodes, but damn, that was some of the funniest TV I've ever had the privelege to watch.

You say it's coming out soon? In the US? When? Me wants it NOW!!!
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby bluebottle on Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:20 pm

Yeah, it was on Bravo on the states, you're right.

I can check, but last i heard there was talks with Rhino about releasing it. It's a good show (i'm partial to the second season, myself)
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Ginger Man on Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:05 am

For whoever asked, Pete and Pete Season 1 is out now. That and You Can't Do That On Television, both serious staples of my childhood.

Bit of trivia. Did anyone else know that Hunter S. Thompson guested on an episode of Pete and Pete as "Man on Curb?" How random is that?
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Postby TonyWilson on Fri Jul 22, 2005 6:42 am

PETE AND PETE

Hell yeh bout Hunter S Thompson, that show had some great cameos, way beyond anything another kids TV show could get, just shows the lunatic genius of the writing.

Iggy Pop and Steve Buscemi as well. Fucking awesome.
TonyWilson

Postby evergreen on Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:21 pm

I would like Cities of Gold released on DVD, if it isn't already

I wish they weren't so dam slow releasing the simpsons on dvd too...
Long time no see.
evergreen
GLIB

Postby PVIII on Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:34 pm

Speaking of old Nickelodeon shows, anyone remember Alex Mack? I wanted to bone her her so bad. And I was eight.

PVIII
"It's an Illusion!"--GOB
PVIII
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby evolvingsensblty on Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:19 pm

I'd like to see "Mighty Mouse, the New Adventures" on Dvd. I have very dim memories of watching that when I was younger. Crazy stuff from Bakshi and John K.

Does anyone remember a show on MTV in '97-'98 called Austin Stories? It was sort of a laid back version of Seinfeld, with it's own unique quirkiness. It was shot on location in Austin. There were about 10 episodes, and then it just disappeared. I regret not taping it, and would love to see it on DVD.
evolvingsensblty
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:35 pm

Regarding a the Johnny Doe, the angel premise? she's a pretty interesting... The Dino, he never thought of a that.
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby PVIII on Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:17 pm

^The guy who played John Doe has gotten some pretty steady work. Dracula in Blade III and he's in the new show 'Prison Break,' so I guess FOX liked him. The show sounded like it had potential. Oh, well.

PVIII
"It's an Illusion!"--GOB
PVIII
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby The Garbage Man on Sat Jul 23, 2005 8:19 pm

evolvingsensblty wrote:I'd like to see "Mighty Mouse, the New Adventures" on Dvd. I have very dim memories of watching that when I was younger. Crazy stuff from Bakshi and John K.

YES! I remember watching that as a kid, too. Mostly I just recall some sort of crazy Batman-themed character and a lot of weird shit happening...
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby bluebottle on Sat Jul 23, 2005 8:25 pm

There are clips of Mash & Peas on the Spaced DVD set.

I met Edgar Wright and made an ass of myself cuz i mentioned something about it and he was like, "WOW, HOW DO YOU KNOW ABOUT THAT?!" (i'm in Canada, remember)

and i had to admit that i hadn't actually seen Mash & Peas, but i watched the special features on Spaced.

not as impressive.
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Vroom Socko on Sat Jul 23, 2005 8:57 pm

Two words:

Max Headroom!
You fuckers think just because a guy reads comics he can't start some shit?
Vroom Socko
GLIB

Postby Man-in-the-Box on Sat Jul 23, 2005 10:06 pm

Yo Vroom, I never saw the Max back in the day. We didn't have cable. Would it be worth the buy, or just the rental?
I'm not with Cowbell, he's with me.
Man-in-the-Box
AIRWOLF

Postby St. Alphonzo on Sun Jul 24, 2005 1:02 am

I always thought that Max Headroom worked better as a music video/advertising concept. I really wanted to like the show when it came out, but it was really pretty dry "mystery of the week" kind of stuff.

Of course, I was twelve at the time... maybe it would work for me now.
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Next

Return to Coaxial