UK based members...

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

UK based members...

Postby Agent Alonzo on Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:40 am

Hope you can give us some input on what Extras is like after it shows later today in the UK.
For those not in the know, that is the new sitcom by Gervais and Merchant, the guys behind The Office. The first episode guest stars Ben Stiller, playing himself as an egotistical Struggling Background Artist.
I have high hopes, so it will be interesting to see what the first reactions are...
alonzo..... my apologies you ho-bag! - banthafodderUK

...that was the funniest post I've ever read at AICN. Comedy gold. I'm stealing it and shooting it in nothing other than a static two-shot. - Kevin Smith
Agent Alonzo
UMAGAA OMBONGO

Postby John-Locke on Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:13 am

Yeah I saw a trailer for it last night, Another extra was asking Gervais if he had ever been in the Bill as He had played a Narc in it, "No, No," replies Gervais, "what about Casualty, Have you been in Casualty?"" On yeah I've been in Casualty before", "what the TV Show?" "No. No".

Looks quite funny but not on a par with the Office.

I'll let you know if it's good.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Agent Alonzo on Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:20 am

Good, bit torrent beckons... I mean it will be shown on HBO at some point...

...that was the funniest post I've ever read at AICN. Comedy gold. I'm stealing it and shooting it in nothing other than a static two-shot. - Kevin Smith
Agent Alonzo
UMAGAA OMBONGO

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:40 am

I'm really looking forward to this - and I don't see why it can't be as good as the Office.

I was under the impression that certain digital TV providers in the USA provide BBC1 and 2 anyway - I thought that was how The Office became succesful over there in the first place? I may have my facts wrong. Anyway - I'll certainly let you know my thoughts on this forum in around ten hours' time!
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Agent Alonzo on Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:55 am

There is a cable channel called BBC America. They show a lot of BBC stuff, but only stuff they figure they can not sell elsewhere. They made a deal with HBO for Extras, so it will show on there at some point.
That said, I gave up on TV a while back and don't have cable, I just have broadcast channels. I spend the money I saved on a Netflix subscription and DVD buying. I am much happier.

Agent Alonzo
UMAGAA OMBONGO

Postby TonyWilson on Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:20 pm

Extra's review.

Hey hey kids, it's good, it's very good. Not sure if it's office quality yet. It's not the same format and Gervais isn't so much af a Struggling Background Artist in it. It's still got the painfully embarassing moments in it "i know the difference between japanese and chinese, we learnt it in school", it's setting up some great relationships and characters. And Ricky Gervais gets probably the coolest moment in the show when he totally owns Ben Stiller

"So which are you Starsky or Hutch"

"Is that supposed to be funny"

"You tell me it's your film"

Oh I'm pleased with this. Very very promising.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby John-Locke on Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:23 pm

Fuck I forgot to watch it like a PAMF, too busy in the zone to change channels on the idiot box.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby evergreen on Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:09 pm

Hello everybody!

I watched Extras and thought it was excellent - maybe not quite the heady experience of watching the Office for the first time, but very funny nontheless.

Stiller had some brilliant lines in it - I loved the way he kept referring back to the success of some of his movies -like "some of you may be asking why I'm directing this movie. I know, you look at me and you see...... the nighest grossing comedy actor in the world" etc - that was really funny. There <i>were</i> parts which made you feel uncomfortable, like when Andy ws trying to persuade the Bosnian guy to give him a line in the film, and then he just started crying over pictures of his dead wife, but I kind of expected that - the office also has some pretty uncomfortable moments.

I know that Gervais was a little surprised at the hatred levelled towards David Brent, so he's tried to make Andy a bit more likeable, which I think is fair enough.

All in all, I thought it showed great potential and I'll be looking forward to the rest of the series
Long time no see.
evergreen
GLIB

Postby PVIII on Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:51 pm

People hated David Brent? I felt so sorry for that guy. The one scene from the Office Special where he's backstage at the club almost made me cry. I've had to turn that show off so many times because I've gotten so uncomfortable.

PVIII
"It's an Illusion!"--GOB
PVIII
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby John-Locke on Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:58 pm

Controvesial I know but I actually find the US Office easier to watch because of the uncomfortable nature of the UK version. I've been in a room with Ricky Gervais a couple of times and he is almost exactly like David Brent at all times, Sure he's not as much of a git but he is very similar and can make the most confident of people feel like shit.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:31 pm

Yah, it hit too close a to home for a lot of a good people... The Dino, he's a curious? Onna Comedy Central inna the USA, they had a the "Trigger Happy TV" that was a from a the UK. You guys a like that? It made a the Dino piss his a pants sometime, he laugh a so hard. Like when a the guys would a dress up inna the funny bunny costumes anna run around inna the streets.
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby John-Locke on Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:36 pm

Yeah Trigger Happy was funny, not my personal favouite but still very funny at times,

You should try and find Brass Eye, that is very twisted and controversial but very funny.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby cockknocker on Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:57 pm

I'm a massive Morris fan, Brasseye is absolute genius as is the day today. His radio one music shows are also amazing you can find them online if you look around. I used to occasionally see trigger happy, it had its moments but Dom Jolly is a real one trick poney. Plus Big train did the whole people dressed up as a dog and cat fighting first. The first series of Big Train had some great stuff in it.

Um, back on topic though, I only saw the last half of extras, what I saw was ok, Stiller was the onyl real source of laughter for me though.
"Around dawn in Edinburgh is a really good time to see the castle wandering around, having a wank. "
cockknocker
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Agent Alonzo on Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:03 am

Have watched the first three episodes of the show now. Very good stuff, but it is in a very similar vein to The Office, but lacking the constant storyline and amount of recurring characters.
The guest stars have been great. Stiller as a total Hollywood dick. Kemp as the pretend hardman, and Winslett as a female version of David Brent in some ways. All very funny, all brave to do it.
Like The Office it is a squirming experience to watch, and in some ways it is less subtle this time around. The stuff with the Catholic priest was superb.

I have a feeling this is a show that, like The Office, will work very well as compact short seasons on DVD, to watch in a row. Although the lack of a constant storyline (save for Andy's search for a speaking role and the chick's search for a boyfriend) will stop it ever being an enduring classic.
Father O'Flaherty... Genius...

Agent Alonzo
UMAGAA OMBONGO

Postby bluebottle on Sun Aug 07, 2005 9:27 am

I'm having a huge problem with extras.

I don't like it at all, and I loved the office.

He's doing the same shtick, but instead of playing the middle management type (which leads you to question, "how the hell did this guy get to a position like that?!) he's playing someone at the bottom of the ladder... which... just isn't funny.

It's kind of a rule of comedy, don't pick on the little guy.

And Ben Stiller, playing an asshole director? Come on. I thought Gervais and Merchant were smarter than that.

And the dumb blond female sideckick? Same comment as above.

I just expected more from the two. The setups seem way too easy.

He's a background extra who, every week, tries to weasle a line out of the production, by any means necessary, no matter how humiliating.

I see where it's going, the last episode will see Gervais finally getting a line, but blowing it at the very end.

If he keeps this up, his next series will be about an air steward, who's always having to deal with the awkwardness of "how bad the airplane food is"

Does anyone agree with me? My friends think I'm nuts.
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Mon Aug 08, 2005 6:49 am

I kind of know where you're coming from bluebottle - I'm wondering how they can stretch it out for another 3 episodes, and that can't be good.

Like I said earlier though - Andy is not meant to be the butt of the joke in the way that David Brent was - but perhaps that's where they've gone wrong here, in trying to create a likeable lead character, rather than a funny character, whether likeable or not.

I couldn't agree more about the female lead - Gervais has tried to give her good lines, but she just seems to fade away into the background sometimes. As far as the cameos go - I don't think you can criticise Gervais for them, because he allows the actors to come up with their own interpretations of themselves, so the "Stiller-as-angry-director" thing was almost certainly Stiller's idea

It certainly isn't <i>awful</i> - the one with Winslet in particular had me laughing out loud quite a lot, so I'm still willing to give it a chance.

My favourite new Brit comedy of this year is still Nathan Barley, though (out on DVD soon,folks!)

And Lost finally starts in the UK on Wednesday - I can't wait for that!!
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Fri Aug 26, 2005 6:33 am

Oh yes. Yesterday's episodes was one of my favourites of this first series. Patrick Stewart was hilarious - I already had huge respect for him, but I have so much more after last night's episode.

There's a part when he's talking to Andy about writing his own screenplay, and you think he's gonna come out with some profound, worthy screenplay idea but instead it's some absolute schlock nonsense movie about a guy with the power to make women's clothes come off.

He said something like "you know my character in the X-Men, Professor Charles Xavier? Well I wonder what it would be like to have powers like that in the real world. For example, I could be walking down the street and see an attractive young lady. So I make all her clothes fall off - just like that! She's scrablimng around on the floor trying to pick up her clothes, but before she can even get her knickers on, I've seen <i>everything</i>."

I haven't laughed that hard in a while
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Return to Coaxial