FIREFLY

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Favourite Episode

Our Mrs Reynolds
5%
Jaynestown
14%
Out of Gas
43%
Ariel
11%
War Stories
1%
Trash
4%
The Message
2%
Heart of Gold
1%
Objects in Space
19%

Total votes : 84

FIREFLY

Postby TonyWilson on Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:31 pm

Ok I just bt'ed it I've seen the "serenity", "the train job", "bushwacked" "shindig" and "safe". They are very well done. Does it get better though? I mean the episodes are good but from what people say about it I was expecting something a bit better.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby John-Locke on Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:57 pm

Objects in space was my favourite but I won't spoil it for you because you haven't seen it yet.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby MasterWhedon on Mon Jul 25, 2005 4:36 pm

Objects in Space is great, but Ariel is my personal favorite, mainly because I didn't think they'd go there with Jayne's betrayal so soon. The end scene with Mal and Jayne and the airlock is probably my favorite from the entire series.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby The Garbage Man on Mon Jul 25, 2005 4:54 pm

Out of Gas is my favorite. Great story, beautifully told.
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby the Grobe on Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:44 am

A little late on the bandwagon... Out of Gas is my all-time favorite. The handling of flashbacks was very well done and I enjoyed the backstory on all the crew, especially Kaylee and Jayne's introductions. The whole episode makes you fall in love with the crew and the ship all over again. This far into the series, I felt exactly what Mal did when he laid eyes on Serenity the first time.

Next is Objects in Space, which is just about as perfect as sci-fi gets in my book. I loved Jubal's insane philosophizing, and the miscommunication when he thinks Simon asked if he's "a lion" instead of Alliance. Also, making River "be the ship" was a great twist on a common sci-fi convention, and worked as a great foil to Jubal's firm control of the crew.
the Grobe
GLIB

Postby bluebottle on Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:45 am

i third the motion for Out of Gas.
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:51 am

welcome Grobe!
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby ONeillSG1 on Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:05 am

The Garbage Man wrote:Out of Gas is my favorite. Great story, beautifully told.

I third or fifth (if that is possible) this statement.

Out of Gas, due to the flashbacks, sexy Kaylee, and the minor plot twist at the end regarding the ships.

Very well written.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby Malachi Constant on Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:26 pm

I'm going to have to go Objects in Space with Out of Gas running a close second.
Malachi Constant
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Malachi Constant on Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:27 pm

My 20th post and I'm a regular Joey Potter.
Malachi Constant
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Pudie on Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:34 pm

I 5th Out of Gas. Great television. And Firefly was a damn good show. The only weak episode it had was The Train Job.
Pudie
MAN IN SUIT

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:48 pm

I really enjoyed out of gas too, but I have only seen about half the series so far.

Jayne is clearly the best character though......
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pudie on Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:13 pm

Kaylee
Pudie
MAN IN SUIT

Postby Ribbons on Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:16 pm

They're all pretty good, really...
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TonyWilson on Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:18 pm

Wash is fucking funny. I love the tache he has in Out Of Gas, I laughed my ass off for ages when i saw that. was great because the scene before was very very dramatic and tense.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby thomasgaffney on Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:28 pm

The Message

find me: twitter and goodreads
find my book: amazon and apple and barnes & noble
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:36 pm

Ribbons wrote:They're all pretty good, really...

Very true - that's what makes it work for me. The kind of banter they have between each other.....reminded me of the earlier Stargate seasons, which IMHO were better than some of the later ones...
Please don't hate me, O'Neill!

And I did love Kaylee's introduction to Mal - caught shagging that himbo of a mechanic!
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:38 pm

Who loves that theme song?!! Huh?!!

Puts me in a rollicking mood every time I hear it--ain't that the gorram truth!!
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Ribbons on Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:38 pm

I actually do like the theme song. Back the fuck off me, bitches!!!
Last edited by Ribbons on Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Pudie on Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:39 pm

Gah. I cant stand the theme song for Firefly or Buffy(which I'm currently watching)
Pudie
MAN IN SUIT

Postby thomasgaffney on Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:39 pm

ThisIsTheGirl wrote:reminded me of the earlier Stargate seasons, which IMHO were better than some of the later ones...
Please don't hate me, O'Neill!

I don't know, TITG, Ben Browder really does a great job of leading SG-1. Maybe better than that last guy. You know, the old dude.

Heh Heh Heh.....
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby thomasgaffney on Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:41 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:Who loves that theme song?!! Huh?!!

NO ONE! At least no one with good taste in music...
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:43 pm

thomasgaffney wrote:I don't know, TITG, Ben Browder really does a great job of leading SG-1. Maybe better than that last guy. You know, the old dude.

Heh Heh Heh.....

IPAMPILASH!

And another vote here for the theme song.

Let's come together people, for we are the lepers of the interweb!

ETA: Gaffers, I can no longer talk to you, for you are my sworn enemy!!!!11
Last edited by ThisIsTheGirl on Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:43 pm

thomasgaffney wrote:
MasterWhedon wrote:Who loves that theme song?!! Huh?!!

NO ONE! At least no one with good taste in music...

Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Crayotic Rockwell on Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:47 pm

anything with Saphire in it, altho Objects in Space gets an obvious nod as well
The Anime Stock Exchange for all your anime tripe
Crayotic Rockwell
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby thomasgaffney on Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:51 pm

ThisIsTheGirl wrote:ETA: Gaffers, I can no longer talk to you, for you are my sworn enemy!!!!11

TITG, I'm sorely disappointed that you like the Firefly theme song. And I thought that only Whedon was my sworn enemy on this!
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:56 pm

thomasgaffney wrote:And I thought that only Whedon was my sworn enemy on this!

From the heart of hell, I stab at thee!!
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby thomasgaffney on Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:59 pm

If you're in the heart of hell, I'm assuming that you're listening to the Firefly theme on repeat. Now that's hell!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby tfactor on Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:01 pm

I just wanted to ipampilash at the poll results being 58% "out of gas" and can't help but wonder is that truly the best episode or is it just getting the votes because it can be made into a fart joke?

Where's that deep thoughts guy from SNL when you need him?
tfactor
KING SMARMY

Postby Ribbons on Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:15 pm

No, it's actually considered one of the best episodes.

Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:17 pm

thomasgaffney wrote:
ThisIsTheGirl wrote:ETA: Gaffers, I can no longer talk to you, for you are my sworn enemy!!!!11

TITG, I'm sorely disappointed that you like the Firefly theme song. And I thought that only Whedon was my sworn enemy on this!

We lurk on every corner.....in every alleyway. One day, we will rise up and overthrow those who dislike the Ballad of Serenity!!!!
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:18 pm

thomasgaffney wrote:If you're in the heart of hell, I'm assuming that you're listening to the Firefly theme on repeat. Now that's hell!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

ImageImageImage

In case you missed it, that's me exploding a giant box of douche all over you, kindly supplied by Ribbons.

Tag team, biotch!!
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Ribbons on Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:20 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:Tag team, biotch!!

Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby dark wesley on Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:46 am

the one where mal get gets married to that unbelievebly hot innocent girl that turns out to be not so innocent, not wanting to spoil anything for those who haven't seen it, but HOT! the storyline is good aswell but again i venture HOTNESS, mrs reynolds, ahhh.
i wish my middle name was tiberius.
dark wesley
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby RogueScribner on Sun Dec 18, 2005 5:51 am

"Out of Gas" was brilliant! That was the episode that made me a fan.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby kortanaskew on Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:42 pm

Ok I just bt'ed it I've seen the "serenity", "the train job", "bushwacked" "shindig" and "safe". They are very well done. Does it get better though? I mean the episodes are good but from what people say about it I was expecting something a bit better.

It doesn't actually get better. Don't buy into all that hype.

Don't get me wrong, I loved the fucking show and was hooked as well.

But the reason we all loved it cause we are romantics.

Imagine being in love with a girl, who moved away and you never got a chance to tell her how you felt.

We were crushed when the show left and we're left with the great memories and DVD's ;)

The show never got a chance to get better, but it never got a chance to get worse either.

If the show actually was to come back on the air, we wouldn't care, it's the heartache that made us all fans and not the actual show itself....
kortanaskew
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:50 pm

I haven't seen all of the episodes yet, but my fave of what I have seen is the pilot, actually. I'm not sure of the title...

I liked "Objects in Space" alot, mostly cause Early was cool as shit and has some fantastic dialouge, but I liked the pilot more...
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby cinephile2000 on Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:08 pm

Kortanaskew I think there are some with feelings like that, but I got the show off of recomendations from this site and loved every episode. I am also a huge Whedon fan and have all the seasons of everyone of his TV shows sitting in my room. The reason I love this show is the dialog and charecters, no one was underwritten. I voted for Objects in space because of the commentary. One of my favs.
Just remember, your special like everyone else.
cinephile2000
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Peven on Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:32 pm

i enjoy the series and the show, but am i the only one who thinks that between Firefly and Buffy, men are made out to be some sort of inferior subspecies of human compared to women? before i get flamed, i'm not bashing, just making an observation. if you think about it, character by character, i think you'll start to see what i am talking about.

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:51 pm

Peven wrote:i enjoy the series and the show, but am i the only one who thinks that between Firefly and Buffy, men are made out to be some sort of inferior subspecies of human compared to women? before i get flamed, i'm not bashing, just making an observation. if you think about it, character by character, i think you'll start to see what i am talking about.

I don't think so. Buffy clearly is rooting strongly for grrl power, but I think its more even handed then most tv shows in that it shows that men are just as vulnerable as women, which, lets be honest, is true. I'd even go so far as to argue that men may be more vulnerable / sensitive than women; we're just taught to hide it better under an armor of "toughness."

In all seriously, one of the things I love about the guys work is that the characters seem absolutely believable and real to me.
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby Peven on Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:15 pm

in all honesty, i wouldn't argue with the assesment of men being the more sensitive or emotional vulnerable gender. its just that in Firefly the men are all made out to be so flawed and weak compared to the female characters that after a while it starts to get under my skin a bit.

the married couple; the guy is wimpy scared-all-the-time pilot while the woman is a tough strong fearless ex-soldier. the Madame emasculates the captain on a regular basis along with making him look cerebrally inferior as well. Jayne is self-serving and untrustworthy, but the female mechanic is true blue who's one flaw is wanting a man, which gets us to the doctor who is made out to be an obtuse fool when it comes to women. and of course, the most powerful character on the show is a woman, doc's little sis, miss ultimate being. sorry for lack of names, i have watched almost all the episodes but i'm terrible with names and haven't gotten into the show enough to burn them all into my brain. i don't mean to sound like i'm anti-Firefly, because i'm not, i really was disappointed when it was cancelled, and i think the movie WAS a step up from the series and did give the male characters more of a fair shake too, especially the captain.

but, i'd go so far as to say that Whedon's style of making women out to be superior is a reason why his stuff is so popular among female audiences, which really is something of an anomaly(sp?) considering his genre's are traditonally mostly-male-audience driven subject-material, and doesn't hurt his late night action in the bedroom either.
Last edited by Peven on Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Ribbons on Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:17 pm

I honestly think you're reading too much into it. I think you could make a compelling case for it if you extrapolated the right evidence, but I disagree with how truthful it actually is. If you were unfamiliar with Whedon's body of work, I doubt we'd even be having this discussion. I don't think that Kaylee is any less flawed than the rest of them, and while Inara and Zoe don't have nearly as many foibles as most of the cast (for Zoe I'm actually hard-pressed to think of any), I don't think that comes out of any sort of place where men are considered inferior to women.

I think Whedon does have a lot of problems with men, that's true, and I don't know where exactly that comes from, but the message of the show is certainly not "Men Suck," and that message wouldn't even really be exemplified by any of the main cast except for Jayne. Talking about whether Zoe emasculates Wash (and I definitely don't agree that Inara emasculates Mal) is just confusing the issue.

Also keep in mind that Whedon was the one who penned the episode "Our Mrs. Reynolds," where a mercenary exploits her femininity in order to hijack Serenity. So as far as lousy personalities go, it's not like he only parcels out blame to the dudes.
Last edited by Ribbons on Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Peven on Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:22 pm

i wouldn't rule out the possibilities that i see more than is there, due to my own personal experience with the "kinder, gentler gender", lol. and i don't think he makes men out to be jerks, actually they are in general more likeable, funny, heartfelt, and less threatening characters than the women. hey, wait a sec, <epiphany>, maybe i have been coming at this from the wrong end altogether, lol.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby RogueScribner on Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:34 pm

I think Whedon likes strong women and likes to twist around stereotypes. I don't think he tears down men so much as he works hard to build up his women so they are neither inferior or superior to men. We're all just people with our own needs and desires. Sometimes they match up, sometimes they conflict. It's never simple, though.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby kortanaskew on Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:48 am

Whedon does like strong females characters in his shows. Even some of the villains have been tough as nail chicks, whether they were gods, slayers, vampires or lawyers. He's even made the ones that were weak like Willow, Cordelia, River and Fred into tough bitches.

Willow by becoming that crazy uberwitch.

Cordelia by first making her character grow up past the spoiled rich girl she was into a caring, intelligent woman.

River who at the start of the show seemed autistic then we know was in fact a living weapon.

And Fred by becoming Illyria.

But aside from Buffy, what other woman do you care more about then the male characters?

Sureley the above mentioned female characters, plus Dawn, Anya, Tara, Lilah, Darla, Harmony, All who also fit the profile of being weak women who became stronger in some way or another.

Dawn of course was the weak younger sister who needed protection who eventually held her own as one of the Scooby gang.

Anyanka was a betrayed woman who eventually became magically empowered to seek revenge on men. But as powerful as she was she was still weak minded with her obsession and hatred towards men, it wasnt until Xander loved her that she was able to become strong enough to elt go of all that baggage.

Tara was shy and eventually became strong enough to come out of her shell when she met Willow.
Lilah and Darla were both villains who were redeemed through love. One for the love of har child and one because she was loved by a man.

Harmony of course was a nitwit twerp who became a strong Vampire, but even then she was a weak and battered woman. It was until she became a regular guest star on Angel that she became and independent woman. She cast Spike aside for using her and got herself a real job.

And of course we also Kaylee, Inara and Zoe who didnt have time to develop. These are all great characters and hot chicks, but I honestly was more intrigued by Spike, Angel, Wesley, Giles, Xander, Oz, Malcolm, Jayne and Shepherd than the ladies.

Even Buffy became less about Buffy for me and more about the whole ensemble cast.
kortanaskew
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby RoyBatty on Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:57 am

tfactor wrote:I just wanted to ipampilash at the poll results being 58% "out of gas" and can't help but wonder is that truly the best episode or is it just getting the votes because it can be made into a fart joke?

Overall, it encapsulates what was great about the show - how they all stick together, plus it provides some of the backstory, including how Kaylee gets so hot for engines :)

Objects in Space and Ariel are my two next choices
RoyBatty
GLIB

Postby RogueScribner on Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:16 am

kortanaskew wrote:Cordelia by first making her character grow up past the spoiled rich girl she was into a caring, intelligent woman.

I think that was wholly precipitated by the nature of her new series. In order for Cordelia to be a viable costar in the spinoff, she had to, well, grow up. Sunnydale Cordy would not have lasted long on AtS.

Unfortunately, she grew up and then became a saint and then became evil and then went into a coma and then died. WTF?!?!?!?!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby The Vicar on Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:35 am

Hard to argue against Out of Gas being an exemplar of what Firefly was/was going to be. The thing is, there was something special that recommnded each episode - War Stories ( Mal & Wash in the meat grinder); Objects in Space ( nice work from former Law & Order dude Richard Brooks); the two eps with Saffron ( because, well, she was in them); the two part pilot was just plain good stuff altogether... Firefly showed more promise in that pitiful handful of eps than a lot of other shows did in considerably longer runs. My favorite eps were the ones we never got to see, the really great shows down the road where we found out about Book, or Inara, Kaylee, Zo & River having jello wrestling in the shuttle, or the eventual showdown between Jayne & Mal. Fuck the Fox network. We hates them, we does.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby Peven on Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:39 am

am i the only one who thinks the Kaylee the mechanic is the most luscious creature on the show??? she totally does it for me.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby thomasgaffney on Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:01 pm

Peven wrote:am i the only one who thinks the Kaylee the mechanic is the most luscious creature on the show???

No. You're not alone.
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Next

Return to Coaxial