FIREFLY

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Favourite Episode

Our Mrs Reynolds
5%
Jaynestown
14%
Out of Gas
43%
Ariel
11%
War Stories
1%
Trash
4%
The Message
2%
Heart of Gold
1%
Objects in Space
19%

Total votes : 84

Postby papalazeru on Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:21 am

I went with Jaynestown, just because it's so histerical.

I love the fact that Jayne is so scared to return and yet the shit planet treat him like a hero.

It's a Jayne-centric episode and hilarious to boot.

I love the songs written about him and then, when we find out the truth that Jayne was in fact a theif.

Always makes me laugh.

It was difficult because as said above, Objects in Space and Out of Gas are both small wonders.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby DanielSan on Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:48 am

papalazeru wrote:I went with Jaynestown, just because it's so histerical.

I love the fact that Jayne is so scared to return and yet the shit planet treat him like a hero.

It's a Jayne-centric episode and hilarious to boot.

I love the songs written about him and then, when we find out the truth that Jayne was in fact a theif.

Always makes me laugh.

It was difficult because as said above, Objects in Space and Out of Gas are both small wonders.

I'm with you when it comes to Jayne. I picked Out of Gas, due in no small part to the scene where we see how Mal recruited Jayne!

"You share a bunk????"
DanielSan
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby papalazeru on Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:50 am

Yeah. I just thought Jaynestown could do with a few more votes, that's all. :lol:

papalazeru

Re: FIREFLY

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:45 am

I can't remember if its been posted here or not, but the Q&A on the Australian SE is on YouTube in six parts. I'll bet a donut the reason it wasn't on the American SE is Universal doesn't want to pay the royalty on "Happy Birthday" which everyone sings at the beginning.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:48 am

Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:I can't remember if its been posted here or not, but the Q&A on the Australian SE is on YouTube in six parts. I'll bet a donut the reason it wasn't on the American SE is Universal doesn't want to pay the royalty on "Happy Birthday" which everyone sings at the beginning.

You guys didn't get this? seems a shame, it's one of the best extras on the version I picked up... That and whedo playing guitar...

I'm also kinda surprised 'Happy Birthday' isn't public domain...
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Fievel on Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:14 am

tapehead wrote:
Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:I can't remember if its been posted here or not, but the Q&A on the Australian SE is on YouTube in six parts. I'll bet a donut the reason it wasn't on the American SE is Universal doesn't want to pay the royalty on "Happy Birthday" which everyone sings at the beginning.

You guys didn't get this? seems a shame, it's one of the best extras on the version I picked up... That and whedo playing guitar...

I didn't know this either!
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby DanielSan on Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:01 am

Fievel wrote:
tapehead wrote:

I didn't know this either!

Yeah, you'll notice, especially on television shows, that no one ever sings Happy Birthday. That's also why restaurant wait staff sing their own stupid little birthday song rather than Happy Birthday To You!
DanielSan
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby RogueScribner on Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:54 pm

I am back from Dragon*Con! Morena Baccarin, Jewel Staite, Nathan Fillion, and Alan Tudyk were all there. A little tidbit regarding Inara's secret (i.e. why she, a popular and respected Companion, was on Serenity to begin with). I'll use spoiler code in case someone doesn't want to know.

Inara was dying, and that syringe in the first episode was her medicine.

It makes sense. Obviously the series was cut short so we never saw any of this play out and it's not something they really had time to address in the movie.

Someone asked if the series had continued who Mal would have ended up with, Inara or Yosafbridge? Nathan Fillion said that the thing with Inara was that they had great sexual/romantic tension and they could never consumate that because once you do the relationship would lose its spark and the show would be canceled. Then Alan Tudyk politely reminded him that the show WAS canceled, and Fillion decided to throw the fans a bone and he planted a huge kiss on Morena Baccarin. :)

So now we know Inara's secret and the upcoming The Shepherd's Tale will show us Book's secret. What other loose threads are there from the series? Those are the two big ones, I think.

Also, Alan Tudyk said that Joss told him that if another movie was ever made (not bloody likely!) that he would be in it. He was hazy on the details of the hows and whys, but he did say that if Buffy can die twice and come back so can Wash! :mrgreen:
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby DerLanghaarige on Fri May 22, 2009 1:23 pm

I just watched the pilot of Firefly and I seriously hope that it gets better. 80 unbelievable fucking boring minutes with some good or at least likable actors and an original Wild West setting. And PLEASE let them stop saying 'shiny'.
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby travis-dane on Sat May 23, 2009 3:47 am

DerLanghaarige wrote:I just watched the pilot of Firefly and I seriously hope that it gets better. 80 unbelievable fucking boring minutes with some good or at least likable actors and an original Wild West setting. And PLEASE let them stop saying 'shiny'.

You should stop watching, they will say "shiny" many more times.
I like the show.
-
Lesbian Nazi Hookers Abducted by UFOs and Forced Into Weight Loss Programs!
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby Fievel on Sat May 23, 2009 3:40 pm

DerLanghaarige wrote:I just watched the pilot of Firefly and I seriously hope that it gets better. 80 unbelievable fucking boring minutes with some good or at least likable actors and an original Wild West setting. And PLEASE let them stop saying 'shiny'.

I watched Serenity first, then the series. Kind of backwards, but allows for more appreciation of the series as you watch it.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby DerLanghaarige on Sat May 23, 2009 4:05 pm

I watched Serenity a few years ago, but I don't count it because I fell asleep (it was 2 a.m.) and can't remember anything of it. This time I wanted to do it right and watch it in order.
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby so sorry on Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:27 pm

So I just watched the first 5 episodes of Firefly on Hulu.com.

What the hell was all the fuss about people????!!!!?!?!!? Its was OK at best, cringe-worthy at its worst (the fighting scenes were God-awful).
I know that maybe five shows out of the 14 they produces may not be enough to judge, but man, I can totally see why this got cancelled.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby DanielSan on Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:30 pm

so sorry wrote:So I just watched the first 5 episodes of Firefly on Hulu.com.

What the hell was all the fuss about people????!!!!?!?!!? Its was OK at best, cringe-worthy at its worst (the fighting scenes were God-awful).
I know that maybe five shows out of the 14 they produces may not be enough to judge, but man, I can totally see why this got cancelled.

Wow, do I disagree.
DanielSan
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby so sorry on Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:07 pm

DanielSan wrote:
so sorry wrote:So I just watched the first 5 episodes of Firefly on Hulu.com.

Wow, do I disagree.

I'm not going as far as to say I hated it. If Hulu had all 14 episodes I'd have watched them gladly (for free or course!). But from what I saw, nothing wowed me enough to want to search this out on DVD, or complain about its cancellation etc.

The notion of the Wild West in Space just doesn't fly with me. That civilization is so advanced as to have space travel across many solar systems, maintain (mostly) a unified government etc, and these "independant contractors" are boarded/interogated three times in 5 episodes and still get away baffles me. Before you start to explain the reasons to me why they get away each time, I get it that perhaps there are things yet answered by Ep. 5 that explain their ability to keep one step in front of Johnny Law yadda yadda.

Also, in two episodes (the duel one and the train heist) Mal makes mortal enemies with the crime boss and the snooty rich guy which are CLEARLY a setup for plot lines later on in the series. Why devote whole episodes just to set up other episodes? (I understand if that sentence doesn't make any sense... I just reread it and got confused myself)

The fight scenes are bad. Really bad. Which is doubly dissapointing considering how well done the rest of the special effects are.

Just didn't do it for me, sorry DanielSan! But I LOVE the Karate Kid!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby DanielSan on Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:16 pm

so sorry wrote:Just didn't do it for me, sorry DanielSan! But I LOVE the Karate Kid!

Well, then I guess I'll let it slide. THIS time.
DanielSan
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby Ribbons on Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:31 pm

Not to pick up this trumpet again, but it's kind of unfair to say "what the hell was the fuss about????!!!!?!?!!?" to US, like everybody whose a fan of Firefly thinks it's the greatest show ever produced. I know Whedon has some crazy fans, but it is possible to watch the thing and just like it.

Anyway, there are some good episodes in the second half of the season, but you'd probably be able to tell whether or not you're going to enjoy the show a couple installments in, so I wouldn't force yourself to watch the rest of the series. If it seems pretty bad to you so far, chances are it's not going to get much better.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby so sorry on Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:43 pm

Ribbons wrote:Not to pick up this trumpet again, but it's kind of unfair to say "what the hell was the fuss about????!!!!?!?!!?" to US, like everybody whose a fan of Firefly thinks it's the greatest show ever produced. I know Whedon has some crazy fans, but it is possible to watch the thing and just like it.

Anyway, there are some good episodes in the second half of the season, but you'd probably be able to tell whether or not you're going to enjoy the show by the end of the pilot episode, so I wouldn't force yourself to watch the rest of the series. If it seems pretty bad to you so far, chances are it's not going to get much better.

Fair enough. Didn't mean to offend :oops:

But you have to admit that the uber-Firefly fans (we had a few here back in the day) are very adamant about the unfair treatment of this show. And after watching a third of the series, I don't see the defense, that's all.

P.S. It certainly had hot girls though!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby DerLanghaarige on Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:00 pm

Yeah, I got the whole season on DVD, but stopped watching months ago, after the Pilot bored the shit out of me. I will maybe give it another try next year, although already the overuse of the word "shiny" makes we wanna punch my face hard, everytime they say it.
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby Fievel on Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:05 pm

I watched the movie first and THEN watched the series... and enjoyed all of it.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby travis-dane on Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:28 pm

Fievel wrote:I watched the movie first and THEN watched the series... and enjoyed all of it.

Same here, I love the characters and the storys, but I guess if you dont like Whedon, theres no chance that you will like FireFly.
But I had good times. Jane rules.
-
Lesbian Nazi Hookers Abducted by UFOs and Forced Into Weight Loss Programs!
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby RogueScribner on Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:14 am

All of the best episodes are not in the first 5 that Hulu displays. Of course, if after watching the first 5 you have no interest in seeing where it goes, then you probably shouldn't force yourself. But eps like "Our Mrs. Reynolds", "Out of Gas", "Ariel", "War Stories", and "Objects in Space" really showed the potential this series had.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Al Shut on Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:28 am

It recently hit tv here, and I had a very similar reaction to so sorry, maybe slightly more positive. I'm going to watch it to the end but I wouldn't tell anyone to watch it because it's good and I highly doubt I'll remember the episodes in five years time.

From being aware of this show from the internet for several years I imagined something better, perhaps that's a bit unfair. The word overrated came to my mind but then I think it's not possible for a show to be overrated that got axed that soon. (rabid minority aside)
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby so sorry on Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:48 pm

so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:54 pm

so sorry wrote:Firefly returns to TV

sorta...

damn you!!!!!!!!! I got all excited for a second. Actually, I assumed it was a re-run of the series, clicked on the link, saw the headline, and THEN got all excited for a second. Damn Entertainment Weekly too. :lol:

Still, nice to see that people haven't forgotten it altogether. I will retain some shred of hope that it will return someday in one form or another. Kinda cool to see how much Fillion thought about the brief experience too.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby so sorry on Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:01 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:

sorta...

damn you!!!!!!!!! I got all excited for a second. Actually, I assumed it was a re-run of the series, clicked on the link, saw the headline, and THEN got all excited for a second. Damn Entertainment Weekly too. :lol:

Still, nice to see that people haven't forgotten it altogether. I will retain some shred of hope that it will return someday in one form or another. Kinda cool to see how much Fillion thought about the brief experience too.

And they'll have that physicist guy who's on every Science channel program talking about the possible realities behind the show's SciFi. In particular whores in space.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby papalazeru on Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:03 pm

sorta...

That's it SS, it's curtains for you!!!! :evil:

Gently, lacy, wafting curtains. :wink:

papalazeru

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:07 pm

Firefly was just a Han Solo rip off. No wonder why it didn't take, off.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby DerLanghaarige on Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:27 pm

That reminds me that I still have to watch the show.
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:41 pm

DerLanghaarige wrote:That reminds me that I still have to watch the show.

yeah, I know you were having trouble getting into it. I actually did too, initially. I wasn't a huge fan of the pilot. But as the 14 (or whatever) episodes progress I really did begin to get into it, and by the time the episodes were finished I was pretty disappointed that there wasn't more to come. Ironically, I think it "got going" faster than Whedon's shows do typically. i wasn't overly impressed with Buffy until well into season 2, Angel was maybe even a little longer than that. Dollhouse never really hit its stride at all (IMO).
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby Wiccan Woman on Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:18 pm

So the whole series on dvd has been sitting around, getting dusty, since October of '09 and you didn't put it up on eBay yet? :lol:
Left behind
Wiccan Woman
AIRWOLF

Postby The Vicar on Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:09 pm

Just be certain to see the eps in proper order. When Fox first aired this series,
they ran the episodes out of order and had the nerve to look surprised when people couldn't follow what was going on.
There's some very nice stuff in Firefly, and I'm not just referring to Christina Hendricks.
Although I sort of am.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby Fievel on Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:58 pm

Like I said a couple years ago,
Fievel wrote:I watched the movie first and THEN watched the series... and enjoyed all of it.

I just rented the movie on a whim when it came to DVD. It was sci-fi. I was bored. Loved it.... but knew I'd enjoy it so much more if I watched the series.
So I watched the series. Loved it. Watched the movie again. Even better the second time.
Your mileage may vary.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Ribbons on Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:29 am

It's weird... a lot of people, possibly the majority of fans, say that they came to love the series in spite of a dull pilot. But that's probably my favorite Firefly episode/movie. In fact I loved the pilot episode so much the rest of them could have sucked and I still probably would have considered myself a fan of the show (thankfully they didn't, although there were a couple clunkers).
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby The Vicar on Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:35 am

Ribbons wrote:It's weird... a lot of people, possibly the majority of fans, say that they came to love the series in spite of the dull pilot episode. But that's probably my favorite Firefly episode/movie. In fact I loved the pilot so much the rest of the episodes could have sucked and I still probably would have considered myself a fan of the show (thankfully they didn't, although there were a couple clunkers).

I got exposed to Firefly on Sci-Fi, I think, before the film came out. I've always been a fan of Whedons ( loved much of Buffy and liked a lot of Angel) and the characters, especially Shepard Book, drew me in. There was so much more to like with this series than there was to complain about, and i wish some cable network would have taken it up after cancellation, because I felt that we would get to more of Book's back story and that would have been good.
Didn't happen.
So it goes.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby DerLanghaarige on Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:45 am

Wiccan Woman wrote:So the whole series on dvd has been sitting around, getting dusty, since October of '09 and you didn't put it up on eBay yet? :lol:

I only sell my DVDs if I upgrade them (Like the barebones releases of THE FRIGHTENERS, when the 4 Disc set came out). Also I always planned to watch them again.

The Vicar wrote:Just be certain to see the eps in proper order.

As far as I know, the DVD box has the right order.
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby DerLanghaarige on Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:40 pm

So I finally found the energy to try watching the show again. On 2nd viewing, the pilot isn't THAT bad anymore, but still nothing write your parents home about. I'm slightly optimistic about the rest of the series now, though.
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby Wiccan Woman on Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:07 pm

DerLanghaarige wrote:So I finally found the energy to try watching the show again. On 2nd viewing, the pilot isn't THAT bad anymore, but still nothing write your parents home about. I'm slightly optimistic about the rest of the series now, though.

<grin> I think you'll get sucked in like the rest of us.
Left behind
Wiccan Woman
AIRWOLF

Postby Bloo on Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:14 pm

man just thinking about this show makes me want to rewatch it...

*looks over to the DVD set*

yeah...
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby DerLanghaarige on Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:01 am

Wiccan Woman wrote:<grin> I think you'll get sucked in like the rest of us.

Difficult to predict at this point. Episode 2, THE TRAIN JOB was actually pretty entertaining and I loved how Reynolds just responded to a death threat by kicking the bad guy into a ship engine, but also kinda cringe worthy when the "Oh noes, the poor sick children" moments started. So I get that we are dealing here with a group of lovable outlaws who live by a moral code, but there must be a less in-your-face way to show it.
But only one "shiny" this time. That's good.
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:23 am

just wait til christina hendricks shows up.
mmmmmm......
christina hendricks...........

boobs.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby DerLanghaarige on Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:39 am

Episode 3 ("Bushwacked") started pretty good, but as soon as the alliance cruiser appeared, it fell apart. They spent so much time with a spooky build-up and then it seems like they totally forgot what they were trying to do, squeezed a lame, overlong interrogation scene inbetween and then ended it in the least spectacular way possible. Too bad.
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby DerLanghaarige on Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:18 am

Okay, I just finished watching SERENITY, which means that I'm done with the whole series. And...it's was okay. Even with lowered expectations it failed to really blow me away*, but it was watchable. Like STARGATE SG1 or the good episodes of STAR TREK: VOYAGER. Nothing really innovative, lots of characters who can be described in three words because they lack anything that makes them really memorable (Kaylee = Always smiling girl, Jayne = Grumpy Comic Relief, Wash = Flies the ship, Space Hooker = Hooker In Space, Wash's wife = 2nd in command...), a few really boring episodes, but it was some well made entertainment. I don't regret watching it, but I doubt that I will ever watch it again. Maybe an episode here and there, when I catch it on TV, but I think my DVD box will from now on only be used to borrow it to friends, if they ask me for it.

*Except ARIEL, which was the one episode, that left me speechless. Everything worked here! The humor, the suspense, the unexpected violence. Damn, those were some great 40 minutes of television!
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby Bloo on Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:02 am

Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby DennisMM on Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:24 pm

And here I thought it was going to be about a nasty Firefly-themed computer virus. You know, Mal-ware.

:roll:
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Bloo on Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:32 pm

DennisMM wrote:And here I thought it was going to be about a nasty Firefly-themed computer virus. You know, Mal-ware.

:roll:

Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby VegasRon on Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:26 am

You can't take the sky from me...
VegasRon
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Ribbons on Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:53 pm

Ribbons
SQUARE PEG