Smallville (Lana is Hot, but...)

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Smallville (Lana is Hot, but...)

Postby burlivesleftnut on Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:05 am

Any Smallville fans? Last nights episode was solid, but the season openers always are. I thought the bad guys got taken out a little too easily, but whatever.

Anyone else see? The last scene was awesome. :)
Last edited by burlivesleftnut on Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby John-Locke on Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:22 am

Hang on, I thought we already had a thread called this???

Anyway I'm downloading it now, 3 1/2 hours to go.

Does he fly?
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Pacino86845 on Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:23 am

Only if you concentrate real hard, and most importantly BELIEVE!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby burlivesleftnut on Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:34 am

I think you will be surprised at the outcome of this episode. Very interesting turn of events, if you ask me.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby DennisMM on Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:54 am

It was nice that Clark finally had a solid moment with Chloe. The show hasn't given them any good time as a pair since Chloe was convinced of Clark's abilities.

I'm glad Seymour and Ackles are officially dead. (I know -- Ackles's character may not be, as there was no body).

I was pleased to see the interior of the Fortress matched the original quite well.

On the thread topic: Yes, she is, but she's still dull. We all know Lana eventually will push Clark away and he'll wind up with Lois, which is sad given the manner in which Lois is written here. (Is she supposed to sound like a junior version of Margot Kidder?)

Now that Chloe and Clark have a new understanding, why not let them share more? She's obviously nuts about the guy and she has more to offer than Lana.

Has anyone else noticed that during season 4 they seem to have told Allison Mack to keep her mouth closed when she smiles? I guess gappy teeth aren't attractive, even though I love a front-teeth gap.

WHAT is stretching out the topics?
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby thomasgaffney on Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:57 am

DennisMM wrote:WHAT is stretching out the topics?

It's a combination of the Shameless Promotion Room and Lost:Better Things They Could Have Found Down The Hatch being on the screen at the same time.
find me: twitter and goodreads
find my book: amazon and apple and barnes & noble
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby Pacino86845 on Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:00 am

thomasgaffney wrote:
DennisMM wrote:WHAT is stretching out the topics?

It's a combination of the Shameless Promotion Room and Lost:Better Things They Could Have Found Down The Hatch being on the screen at the same time.

It was that pink imp that was hovering over Man-in-the-Box's shoulder earlier... I keep trying to shoot the bugger but if you look close, I don't have very good aim.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby burlivesleftnut on Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:06 am

Not to be an on-topic Nazi, but do you have to ruin everyone god damn thread with your obsessive talk about pink imps? I'm tired of it.

I think we are all a little tired of it.

Who's with me?
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby thomasgaffney on Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:12 am

I'm tired of it!

What are we talking about again?
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby John-Locke on Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:29 am

Shit Burl has become Aquaf@g. When did that happen & does it just apply to you? I hope so.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby burlivesleftnut on Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:46 am

ROFL
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:56 am

I remember when there was a theory that Chloe was going to take her cousin's name as a pseudonym, leave Smallville and start fulltime at The Planet - I would love it if that was the case, but it seems increasingly less likely.

Last Season I also began to hate the way the "real" Lois calls Clark "Smallville" I mean, it was funny at first, because she's seen him naked so it was like a comment on the size of his dick, but it became irksome pretty fast.

Anyway - is Clark at Smallville University now? Is this going to supply us with a fresh supply of Kryptonite-infected cheerleaders and Jocks?
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby John-Locke on Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:06 pm

Burl do you realise that you are no longer AIRWOLF but are now in fact Aquaf@g.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Pacino86845 on Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:19 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:Not to be an on-topic Nazi, but do you have to ruin everyone god damn thread with your obsessive talk about pink imps? I'm tired of it.

Who's with me?

Yeah, well, YOU have nothing to worry about ´cause that damned imp ain´t in YOUR hair!!!! You know why that is!?!?!?!?!? Huh, do ya!!!??? All right, enough with the imp, but aside from this thread and the Late Friday thread, I don´t recall sabotaging any other ones...
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby MasterWhedon on Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:28 pm

Anyone else think it was pretty cool to here Lionel say, "They're disciples of Zod!" We also had a bid damn usage of the Phantom Zone!

It was a good episode, but I just wish they'd gotten to this point last year. Clark and Chloe should be getting together now so they can play at the Peter-MJ thing. Fuck Lana, the cocktease.

And this bit with him losing his powers is really only so they can have one episode of peril during which he punches Lex. By 5.3 or 5.4, powers will be restored.

Personally, I say the only way this show can shock me, or pleasantly surprise me, anymore is by doing away with the "no flights, no tights" and letting the boy fly. Not as Kal-El, but as Clark.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby burlivesleftnut on Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:09 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:
burlivesleftnut wrote:Not to be an on-topic Nazi, but do you have to ruin everyone god damn thread with your obsessive talk about pink imps? I'm tired of it.

Who's with me?

Yeah, well, YOU have nothing to worry about ´cause that damned imp ain´t in YOUR hair!!!! You know why that is!?!?!?!?!? Huh, do ya!!!??? All right, enough with the imp, but aside from this thread and the Late Friday thread, I don´t recall sabotaging any other ones...

I was only kidding, you gentleman.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby bluebottle on Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:18 pm

this show is still on?!

wtf.

you know he becomes Superman, right?

sorry to spoil it.

:)
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby John-Locke on Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:40 pm

Using that philosophy Blue, Lucas would never of made the prequel Trilogy.

Hmmm? Maybe you ARE on to something?
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:05 pm

Burl is a the Aquaf@g anna Whedon is a the Keep of a the Purse, eh?

Anna they are a both strangely quiet onna this turn of a the events, no?
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby burlivesleftnut on Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:09 pm

Does that even make sense?
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby MasterWhedon on Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:19 pm

I've been the Keeper of the Purse for a while now. It was a present from Doc, back when we were debating Cabinet posts for the kingdom of Lord Locke and Lady Lyra.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby thomasgaffney on Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:21 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:Does that even make sense?

You have to translate the Dino speak. It means, "Guys! How can I get a cool level under my name, instead of Airwolf?"
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby DennisMM on Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:45 pm

ThisIsTheGirl wrote:I remember when there was a theory that Chloe was going to take her cousin's name as a pseudonym, leave Smallville and start fulltime at The Planet - I would love it if that was the case, but it seems increasingly less likely.

That was Peter David's suggestion. He, like many of us, think Chloe and Clark make a better couple than Lana and Clark. (I inadvertently started to type "Chloe and Lana," but I suffered palpitations and had to go back.)

ThisIsTheGirl wrote:Last Season I also began to hate the way the "real" Lois calls Clark "Smallville" I mean, it was funny at first, because she's seen him naked so it was like a comment on the size of his dick, but it became irksome pretty fast.

"Smallville" comes from the Byrne-era Superman comics (20 years ago, now -- GOD I FEEL OLD!), though I believe Lois uses it occasionally even today. Lois originally used it as a term of derision; now it's a beloved pet name.
Last edited by DennisMM on Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM

Postby DennisMM on Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:48 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:Anyone else think it was pretty cool to here Lionel say, "They're disciples of Zod!" We also had a bid damn usage of the Phantom Zone!

I was really hoping it was a Boom Tube.
DennisMM

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Fri Sep 30, 2005 3:00 pm

thomasgaffney wrote:You have to translate the Dino speak. It means, "Guys! How can I get a cool level under my name, instead of Airwolf?"

No, it a means "somebody, they have a to do it, eh? So who inna the hell is a driving a this a rig now that a the Doc is a gone, eh?"
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby burlivesleftnut on Fri Sep 30, 2005 3:32 pm

Mysteries of the Unexplained.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby John-Locke on Fri Sep 30, 2005 3:35 pm

I thought most of the episode was pretty poor.

Sure the Fortress of Solitude was good, the music there was great in fact, yet the whole middle bit just dragged a little too much for my liking.

I'm glad Lionel isn't dead, I was pretty sure he died & Lex has his body disposed of.

The Phantom Zone bit was good but the effects all round were pretty shitty on this one.

Lana has to die, her acting is terrible. When she was trying to fake a bad knee by dragging her foot is was laughable, at least get the girl some movement lessons. Oh and please no more Lana Wire-Fu.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Pacino86845 on Sat Oct 01, 2005 8:26 am

burlivesleftnut wrote:
I was only kidding, you gentleman.

burl,

you are my luvr you grande rojo imp-hating studlee gentalman you!!!!!!!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby RogueScribner on Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:45 pm

Lana is Hot, but...

Memories . . . ;)

I liked this ep. I don't know anything about the upcoming season, other than a certain former ME cast member is due to make a recurring appearance, so I don't really know where any of this is going to lead. I hope all that stupid Lana crap from last season is dead and buried. And I'm wondering if the meteors causes hair to grow cause Pa Kent had a mane!
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby burlivesleftnut on Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:01 pm

He's the lion of Smallville.

I think the witchy-poo stuff is done. The season finale seemed to expunge the power from Lana, so I doubt we will be seeing that again. It actually didn't bother me so much. I thought the China episode, despite straining credibility, was actually fun!
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby RogueScribner on Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:46 am

I thought Crouching Tiger, Hidden Lana was really pushing the integrity of the show. I can only ride the train so far before I have to get off. I have no idea what I mean by that.

Oh, I forgot to mention: Phantom Zone! COOL! And they used the movie weird trapped in a mirror gimmick, too!

AND THE FREAKIN' FORTRESS OF SOLITUDE! BAAAAAAAAH! BA-BA-BA BA BA-BA!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby burlivesleftnut on Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:46 am

Tres cool.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby DennisMM on Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:37 pm

The Zod Squad should have thrown down something that turned into the two rotating circles rather than the boom tube.

The Fortress seems designed for easier human access than in the movie, when all the non-Kryptonians had to slide around or be carried. Too bad; Chloe's ass might have got cold and Clark could have warmed it up.
DennisMM

Postby RogueScribner on Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:31 pm

I liked tonight's episode, overall. The Wonder Twins were funny. Well, not really, but the fact that they were there (sort of, I guess). I liked how Clark still saved the day sans powers. He's gonna earn his hero stripes.

I also loved how Clark decked Lex and then boned Lana. Two things I've been waiting forever for! :)

Looks like we get some Brainiac action next week!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby burlivesleftnut on Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:36 pm

YES! FINALLY THE BUFFY SMALLVILLE CROSSOVER WE HAVE ALL BEEN WAITING FOR!

Tonight's episode was a blast. I liked seeing Clark and Chloe try to work through the situation using brains instead of the typical route Clark would take in the past. And man that confrontation between Lex and Clark was beautiful. Talk about something that was a long time in coming.

How weird is it that Clark LOSES his powers and finally decides to stand up for himself more. Very interesting.

Also RS, you pointed this out in the White Room a long time ago, but I love how this show wraps up the story early each week so we can actually get a real honest to goodness denoument. I think those last 13 minutes of the show are what has kept me coming back.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby RogueScribner on Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:50 pm

Yeah, I don't know if they did that too much in the first season, but sometime in the second season I started to notice more and more how the big action climax would occur at the end of Act III and then we'd get character beats in Act IV. Kinda weird, but it works. Nine times out of ten, the true gold of the episode is in that act of denouement.

Now if the show can quit hitting the reset button after the end of every season we may have something here. ;)
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby burlivesleftnut on Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:00 am

We have had this discussion before, but I think the reset makes it more Superman-like. We are getting growth and things DO change, but just not in the same way as shows like Buffy and Angel.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Adam Balm on Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:16 am

It's interesting how gradually it is becoming more Superman-like. When the show started, it sounded like it was going to be kryptonite-freaks-of-the-weeks for about four years and then he puts on the tights and flies to Metropolis. I like how they're sneaking things in, almost under the radar. Like how you didn't realize what that crystal thing was til the end of the season finale. Then 'ohhhhh.'
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby RogueScribner on Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:22 am

I liked this episode, but I'm really confused. Didn't they advertise Brainiac last week? I could have sworn they did. Looks like we've got more Clark and Lana angst in store. :roll:
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Fanboy on Fri Oct 14, 2005 5:41 am

What I'm curious about (no one's been able to answer in other forums or IRC) is in tonights episode (5x03) was Clark able to fly up to the missile without the aid of Jor El or Red Kryponite? Not sure, cause on one hand it looked like he jumped, on the other hand he did the whole bend then "explode" into the air thing like he did in the season 4 premiere.

And did Lana know about him at the end of the episode? Her discussion with Lex kinda says no, but like how would Clark explain being ya know, all dusty, burnt clothing, and no bullet wound (which he did later show to Chloe)

As for Lois in 5x04, awesome. We all know she and Clark end up together when it's all said and done. Lana is just the precurser to Lois.

Brainiac (James fucking Marsters baby) will show up, eventually. He's slated for what, 5 episodes this season? God, I can't wait.
Fanboy
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby burlivesleftnut on Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:55 am

Fanyboy, it was my impression that he jumped, but you are right the effects indicated flight. So let me offer another theory. He super jumped. I would put it someplace between his jump onto the truck last season from the freeway overpass and when he actually flew.

I thought the episode was pretty well done although I couldn't recall how Jor-El ended up inside Lion-O.

NEXT WEEK! AQUAMAN!

By the way, do you remember me calling this Rogue? I am surprised they Flash first, but whatever!

Oh and I love how Aquaman looks like a total dick.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby RogueScribner on Fri Oct 14, 2005 11:35 am

burlivesleftnut wrote:I thought the episode was pretty well done although I couldn't recall how Jor-El ended up inside Lion-O.

Me neither. But then, most of last season is a big blur.

Aquaman, eh? I hope there's an under-the-sea musical number! BTW, where the fuck is there an ocean near Smallville???
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby MasterWhedon on Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:10 pm

I'm actually more pumped about Smallville now than I have been in, well, ever. I still wish they'd have learned to work villians in three-episode arcs instead of making each of them so disposable, and that they'd give Clark some action away from Lana. He and Chloe should have been together two years ago!!

But I'm a big fan of his growth this season. For some reason he's starting to appear more as the SuperMAN now than the Smallville Boy Wonder.

I agree that it was something of a super jump, slightly aided by his ability to fly, but they've hinted at that a few times already, so it's pretty cool to see them taking it to the next level. The last two or three episodes of this show need to show him toying around with flying, learning how to do it. That would be badass.

Aquaman next week! Freakin' cool.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:40 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:Fuck Lana, the cocktease.

Looks like it's time to edit your previous post whedon :D

I've really enjoyed this season so far, I kinda stopped watching this series during season 2, but have gotten back into it this year.

I too think it was a super jump, not flying.

So, in the last few minutes, was that really Lionel (with Jor-EL staying dormant), or is Jor-EL really pulling Lionel's strings on a day to day basis? Judging by Jor-El's comments at the Fortress of Solitude it seems to me that it is the former, that Jor-El only pops out when he needs to.

Glad Lois is back next ep. Particularly in a bikini. But will it be Aquaman, or Aquaf@g? Only time will tell.

Brainiac in two weeks?
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby MasterWhedon on Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:49 pm

I must've written that a while ago, Moo, 'cause Lana gives it up all the time now.

And I'm way pumped for Brainiac, mainly because it's a major villain they're finally playing with. Smallville finally gets a Big Bad... and he's from Buffy!!
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:56 pm

yeah, that quote was a blast from the past.

I'm very excited to see Marster's take on Brainiac.
Lord Voldemoo

Smallville and fathers

Postby oisin5199 on Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:50 pm

How interesting is it that Clark's biological father (Jor-El) appears through the other prominent father on the show (Lionel) who has been such a terrible father to his own son? Having Lionel embrace Clark and tell him "I love you, son" was just so creepy. How much more would Lex hate Clark if he had seen that? And how much the theme would fit perfectly with losing Jonathan - that the person close to him that he must sacrifice is his adopted father? Of course, the sacrifice can't happen right away - I'm sure they'll wait til the end of the season for the famous heart attack. Fathers have always been an interesting theme on my show, imo.
oisin5199
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby oisin5199 on Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:52 pm

that's weird, why does it say "studly" when I typed the parent who is not the mother?
oisin5199
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:53 pm

The word F@t turns to "studly" when it is typed on the board.

Might have something to do with H@rry's girth.
Lord Voldemoo

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:54 pm

see also:

H@rry = Harry

G@y = Dumbledore

and there are others.
Lord Voldemoo

Next

Return to Coaxial