Smallville (Lana is Hot, but...)

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Re: Lana is Hot, but...

Postby papalazeru on Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:02 am

Make the bad episodes stop! PLEASE!!!!!!

It's getting tortuous, that we have to come this far into season 10, all of us gearing up for a big finale and we get such a shit episode that has no effect on the rest of the show at all!

Damn you Smallville writers.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
User avatar
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!
 
Posts: 11473
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:26 am

Re: Lana is Hot, but...

Postby DennisMM on Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:41 am

I was going to type, "at least" and something, but there is no at least. This episode was irredeemable.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING
 
Posts: 16808
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:02 pm
Location: Watchin' the reels go 'round and 'round

Re: Lana is Hot, but...

Postby Bob Samonkey on Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:16 am

I swear they are doing this on purpose.

First we have Matrix
Then Date night
and now Hangover

Its like the writers are doing their favorite movie parodies.....
User avatar
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste
 
Posts: 8982
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:49 pm
Location: Samonkey Island

Re: Lana is Hot, but...

Postby papalazeru on Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:36 am

Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:I swear they are doing this on purpose.

First we have Matrix
Then Date night
and now Hangover

Its like the writers are doing their favorite movie parodies.....



If you knew your show was coming to an end wouldn't you go 'Fuck it, let's try everything, they can't cacel us now!'. Sometimes I wish they would to save the show some dignity but it's gone too far now. All I'm going to say is that I hope the finale is something spec-fucking-tacular.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
User avatar
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!
 
Posts: 11473
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:26 am

Re: Lana is Hot, but...

Postby Al Shut on Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:10 am

I predict Clark will die and evil will triumph.
Image
User avatar
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER
 
Posts: 6096
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:57 pm
Location: Oberhausen, Germany

Re: Lana is Hot, but...

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:23 pm

Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:I swear they are doing this on purpose.

First we have Matrix
Then Date night
and now Hangover

Its like the writers are doing their favorite movie parodies.....


I find that hard to believe, Bob. Not that the writers are parodying their favourite movies, but that Date Night could be anyone's favourite movie.
Image
User avatar
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood
 
Posts: 3682
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:28 am

Re: Lana is Hot, but...

Postby DennisMM on Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:48 pm

I can't connect any episode to Date Night, but I know nothing about that movie.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING
 
Posts: 16808
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:02 pm
Location: Watchin' the reels go 'round and 'round

Re: Lana is Hot, but...

Postby Bob Samonkey on Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:53 am

DennisMM wrote:I can't connect any episode to Date Night, but I know nothing about that movie.


The movies starts by the main charters stealing a dinner reservation then mistaken identity comedy ensues!!
User avatar
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste
 
Posts: 8982
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:49 pm
Location: Samonkey Island

Re: Lana is Hot, but...

Postby DennisMM on Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:11 pm

Comic hijinks!

Thanks, Bob.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING
 
Posts: 16808
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:02 pm
Location: Watchin' the reels go 'round and 'round

Re: Lana is Hot, but...

Postby TheButcher on Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:03 pm

Smallville Drops Batman And Wonder Woman Teases
Brendon Connelly wrote:I encourage you to read as much as possible into the following few details. Go ahead and conjecture wildly about a special, back-from-the-dead cameo by Smallville‘s Superclark in the upcoming Wonder Woman TV show. Go even further and speculate about the possibility of Batman turning up too. You might as well start a rumour that there’s a TV version of Matt Wagner’s Trinity in the tea leaves.That would be the kind of excitable, giddy over-reading that I want.

On last week’s Smallville, both Wonder Woman and Batman got a shout out. Chloe got to tell The 20-something of Steel:

You’re not alone Clark, there are other people like you. A billionaire with High tech toys, and a Wonderous Woman who will throw you for a loop.
User avatar
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR
 
Posts: 16893
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:02 am
Location: The Bureau of Sabotage

Re: Lana is Hot, but...

Postby LanaLang4Ever on Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:00 am

There is really only one way that Smallville should end. The lovely Lana Lang needs to return and be the focus of the final show. I'm serious. She should get back together with Clark. The grating and annoying Lois Lane should be kicked to the curb - I can't stand her.

Lana was there at the beginning, and she should be there at the end. It's the only way to do justice to the series.
Image
User avatar
LanaLang4Ever
GLIB
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:50 am

Re: Lana is Hot, but...

Postby DennisMM on Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:54 pm

If Kristin Kreuk had an ounce of talent in her luscious body, I'd sympathize. But since she can't act any better than Erica Durance can, and reappearing would throw off the continuity in a big way, why bother?
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING
 
Posts: 16808
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:02 pm
Location: Watchin' the reels go 'round and 'round

Re: Lana is Hot, but...

Postby LanaLang4Ever on Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:17 am

DennisMM wrote:If Kristin Kreuk had an ounce of talent in her luscious body, I'd sympathize. But since she can't act any better than Erica Durance can, and reappearing would throw off the continuity in a big way, why bother?


Pardon me, but you obviously missed a little something called 'Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun Li'. Ms. Kreuk gave an outstanding performance and it was my favorite movie of that year. It's also clear that you missed her stunning performance in "The Legend of Earthsea".

It's my belief that Kristin Kreuk was eased out of Smallville precisely because her talent so overwhelmed her castmates. When she was on screen she was a blinding white light of brilliant acting that made the other actors seem like elementary school children doing a feeble Thanksgiving play.

Who cares about continuity or any of that canon mishmash? I simply want to see one of the greatest actors of her generation get the respect she deserves by being there when Smallville ends. Anyone with even an ounce of competence understands that Smallville became a hollow shell of its former self when Lana Lang was sent away.
Image
User avatar
LanaLang4Ever
GLIB
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:50 am

Re: Lana is Hot, but...

Postby Crickets on Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:53 am

Hi!
User avatar
Crickets
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:54 pm

Re: Smallville (Lana is Hot, but...)

Postby DennisMM on Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:41 pm

LanaLang4Ever, I think you must be joking or not have seen much acting in your time if you think Kristin Kreuk is an extremely talented performer. The best actor among the regulars was John Schneider, whom I would name as the heart of the program. Michael Rosenbaum was a close second. After their departure, I'd say Allison Mack was by far the talent standout. Kreuk is a typical cute TV mediocrity. She's pretty to look at and can recite her lines on cue. But I won't go on trying to convince you.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING
 
Posts: 16808
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:02 pm
Location: Watchin' the reels go 'round and 'round

Re: Smallville (Lana is Hot, but...)

Postby Crickets on Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:27 am

I thought I succinctly chirped him off... I can only imagine it is someone pulling our leg... I mean come on.... We all know the real star of this show is Alan Ritchson's teeth...


God I hope someone googles images of him to remember who he is....
User avatar
Crickets
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:54 pm

Re: Smallville (Lana is Hot, but...)

Postby DennisMM on Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:05 pm

I had to look him up. Those are some serious teeth.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING
 
Posts: 16808
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:02 pm
Location: Watchin' the reels go 'round and 'round

Re: Smallville (Lana is Hot, but...)

Postby Crickets on Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:44 am

Honestly I was more worried about someone stumbling across this...

Not nakie but NSFAnyone....
User avatar
Crickets
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:54 pm

Re: Smallville (Lana is Hot, but...)

Postby LanaLang4Ever on Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:20 am

DennisMM wrote:LanaLang4Ever, I think you must be joking or not have seen much acting in your time if you think Kristin Kreuk is an extremely talented performer. The best actor among the regulars was John Schneider, whom I would name as the heart of the program. Michael Rosenbaum was a close second. After their departure, I'd say Allison Mack was by far the talent standout. Kreuk is a typical cute TV mediocrity. She's pretty to look at and can recite her lines on cue. But I won't go on trying to convince you.


I can see that you've bought into the "beautiful people can't act" nonsense. While I agree that Schneider is a solid actor, I wholeheartedly disagree with your assertion that Mack was at any time the standout talent on Smallville. The luminous beauty of Kristin Kreuk should not blind you to the superior work she did on the show. She was a wonder of finely tuned performances and breathtaking range. She was the sexy Ferrari in a cast of sub-compacts.

Smallville never regained its mojo after her departure. In the future it will be said that Ms. Kreuk's being written out of the show was the worst mistake in television history. I already firmly believe that is true.
Image
User avatar
LanaLang4Ever
GLIB
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:50 am

Re: Smallville (Lana is Hot, but...)

Postby Chilli on Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:30 am

John Glover trumps all.

And Booster was pretty good. I think they cut a scene where Clark was surprised Booster know who he was, and I'd imagine Dan Garrett fans are currently going apeshit over his mention, but it was watchable.
Bison: [to his architect] The temple above us was the wonder of the ancient world. Bisonopolis shall be the wonder of my world. But I think the food court should be larger. All the big franchises will want in.
User avatar
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost
 
Posts: 6869
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:13 am
Location: Wales

Re: Smallville (Lana is Hot, but...)

Postby DennisMM on Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:18 pm

Definitely better than last week, even if Jaime was portrayed as a wuss and Kord was semi-evil. Poor Dan Garrett.

I think Welling and the producers are taking the quiet bumbler routine a bit too far for it to be convincing in such a short time. I've never cared for that interpretation of the character.In the '40s he was more a "weak sister," with no stomach for adventure and danger. By the '50s he had become a quiet fellow uninterested in Lois's brand of "fun." It wasn't until Chris Reeve came along that Clark was portrayed as a total klutz. Thankfully, Brandon Routh was more unassertive than outright meek. And Lois and Clark may not have been much of a program, but at least Dean Cain got to play Clark fairly straight.

In any case, In three weeks, Welling puts on the suit and the name. It's about damned time.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING
 
Posts: 16808
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:02 pm
Location: Watchin' the reels go 'round and 'round

Re: Smallville (Lana is Hot, but...)

Postby LanaLang4Ever on Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:52 am

Chilli wrote:John Glover trumps all.

And Booster was pretty good. I think they cut a scene where Clark was surprised Booster know who he was, and I'd imagine Dan Garrett fans are currently going apeshit over his mention, but it was watchable.


I've heard that Glover is supposed to be an accomplished stage actor. I find his acting on Smallville to be above average. He's certainly not in the same rarified air as the incomparable Kristin Kreuk, but he can definitely hold his own with the lesser acting talents on Smallville.

I'm in agreement with you about the Booster Gold character. The actor playing him did a fine job.
Image
User avatar
LanaLang4Ever
GLIB
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:50 am

Re: Smallville (Lana is Hot, but...)

Postby DennisMM on Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:33 pm

Another so-so episode, but thank the gods better than the alternate-universe story. Callum Blue carried the show as Zod, and I have to admit I didn't see the twist, but then I'm not good at that. What did Lois say to cover for Clark's three-week absence from work? He's setting himself up as an individual prone to illness, but that's a stretch. Two weeks until they try to wrap this all up. I really hope he wears the suit before the final battle, but I have my doubts whether that will happen. It would be nice if he dons the tights at the end of next week's show.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING
 
Posts: 16808
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:02 pm
Location: Watchin' the reels go 'round and 'round

Re: Smallville (Lana is Hot, but...)

Postby Chilli on Sun May 01, 2011 4:06 am

DennisMM wrote:Another so-so episode, but thank the gods better than the alternate-universe story. Callum Blue carried the show as Zod, and I have to admit I didn't see the twist, but then I'm not good at that. What did Lois say to cover for Clark's three-week absence from work? He's setting himself up as an individual prone to illness, but that's a stretch. Two weeks until they try to wrap this all up. I really hope he wears the suit before the final battle, but I have my doubts whether that will happen. It would be nice if he dons the tights at the end of next week's show.


They've all but confirmed it'll be the last thing we'll see.
Bison: [to his architect] The temple above us was the wonder of the ancient world. Bisonopolis shall be the wonder of my world. But I think the food court should be larger. All the big franchises will want in.
User avatar
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost
 
Posts: 6869
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:13 am
Location: Wales

Re: Smallville (Lana is Hot, but...)

Postby papalazeru on Sun May 01, 2011 7:07 am

I wouldn't even call these last few episodes, So-so. It's been dull and been done a millions times before. I love Callum Blue (especially in Dead like me) but it just seems useless to bring him back for one ep only to throw him at the wayside again.

I want to see some real turmoil from Clark as he steps up to bat, I don't want to see the same old trust issues that have been played out and played out over again.

Let's see a return of doomsday and lets see Superman actually feeling like he's in absolute peril. I want to see Superman being caught between a rock and a hard place, with no way out unless he becomes the man he's supposed to be!!!

So far, all we see is the promise but there's no good storylines to lead us up to a decent finale.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
User avatar
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!
 
Posts: 11473
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:26 am

Re: Smallville (Lana is Hot, but...)

Postby ONeillSG1 on Sun May 01, 2011 12:50 pm

papalazeru wrote:I want to see some real turmoil from Clark as he steps up to bat, I don't want to see the same old trust issues that have been played out and played out over again.

Let's see a return of doomsday and lets see Superman actually feeling like he's in absolute peril. I want to see Superman being caught between a rock and a hard place, with no way out unless he becomes the man he's supposed to be!!!

So far, all we see is the promise but there's no good storylines to lead us up to a decent finale.


This x2.
User avatar
ONeillSG1
ADAMA
 
Posts: 4738
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:23 am
Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Re: Smallville (Lana is Hot, but...)

Postby Chilli on Mon May 02, 2011 4:46 am

I wouldn't even call these last few episodes, So-so. It's been dull and been done a millions times before. I love Callum Blue (especially in Dead like me) but it just seems useless to bring him back for one ep only to throw him at the wayside again.


He was there to clear up the Zod of two worlds mess.
Bison: [to his architect] The temple above us was the wonder of the ancient world. Bisonopolis shall be the wonder of my world. But I think the food court should be larger. All the big franchises will want in.
User avatar
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost
 
Posts: 6869
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:13 am
Location: Wales

Re: Smallville (Lana is Hot, but...)

Postby ONeillSG1 on Mon May 02, 2011 1:24 pm

http://splashpage.mtv.com/2011/04/29/smallville-series-finale-tom-welling/

Not too much spoilers as they are hints as to what's to come.
User avatar
ONeillSG1
ADAMA
 
Posts: 4738
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:23 am
Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Re: Smallville (Lana is Hot, but...)

Postby Chilli on Sat May 07, 2011 5:01 am

Not a bad ep, except...

Well, except Clark yanking the giant phallic object from the Fortress. YOUR SUIT IS THERE YOU CLOD.
Bison: [to his architect] The temple above us was the wonder of the ancient world. Bisonopolis shall be the wonder of my world. But I think the food court should be larger. All the big franchises will want in.
User avatar
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost
 
Posts: 6869
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:13 am
Location: Wales

Re: Smallville (Lana is Hot, but...)

Postby DennisMM on Sun May 08, 2011 2:21 pm

The idea, more or less confirmed, that Clark puts on the suit only for the last seconds of the finale rather pisses me off. He needs to go into the final battle as SUPERMAN, damn it, not "The Blur," which is one of the weakest hero names this side of "Speedball the Masked Marvel."
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING
 
Posts: 16808
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:02 pm
Location: Watchin' the reels go 'round and 'round

Re: Smallville (Lana is Hot, but...)

Postby papalazeru on Sun May 08, 2011 6:11 pm

This is still all filler!!!!!! GODAMMMIT!!!!

Lois could have come to those decisions on her own, we didn't need a full episode of this shit. I was much more interested in Queen's angle and I would have enjoyed seeing him drop deeper under the spell.

What we got was one interesting story, loosely surrounding a purely pointless storyline. Clark's swapped powers before, Lois has gone to the future - She knows he's the hero that people remember a thousand years from that point - she should know he's pretty important.

Of course, they had to go and fuck it up but creating this artificial love angst story. Jeez! It's like they looked at the early episodes and started to put pen to paper for the new scripts and thought, 'You know what? Let's make this open to new fans of the show'. Why even bother? You're ending.

As for callously banishing Supergirl from the show - Oh FFS!!!!

GIVE US THE BUILD UP WE NEED TO APPRECIATE THE FINALE!!!!!

Truly, truly disappointing.

There's no sense beating about the bush now, we're so close to the ending and for them to be serving up this shit like it's the second season - it's just ass-balls.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
User avatar
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!
 
Posts: 11473
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:26 am

Re: Smallville (Lana is Hot, but...)

Postby LanaLang4Ever on Mon May 09, 2011 3:54 am

One thing stood out for me about that last episode. When the Toy Man was tricking Lois into wearing his mind control device, he happened to mention something that was absolutely true. I'll paraphrase it: "You know that Clark's first true love was Lana Lang!"

Thank God that Lana was actually mentioned, but I think it would be criminal to not have her in the final episode. I don't know anyone who actually likes the Lois character. I would give my right arm to see Lana get back together with Clark and have Lois sent to the phantom zone. That would be justice for the fans who have suffered from watching the wholly unlikable Lois get far too much screen time.

Say it with me: We want our LANA LANG in the final episode!!
Image
User avatar
LanaLang4Ever
GLIB
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:50 am

Re: Smallville (Lana is Hot, but...)

Postby papalazeru on Mon May 09, 2011 10:46 am

LanaLang4Ever wrote:One thing stood out for me about that last episode. When the Toy Man was tricking Lois into wearing his mind control device, he happened to mention something that was absolutely true. I'll paraphrase it: "You know that Clark's first true love was Lana Lang!"

Thank God that Lana was actually mentioned, but I think it would be criminal to not have her in the final episode. I don't know anyone who actually likes the Lois character. I would give my right arm to see Lana get back together with Clark and have Lois sent to the phantom zone. That would be justice for the fans who have suffered from watching the wholly unlikable Lois get far too much screen time.

Say it with me: We want our LANA LANG in the final episode!!


More constipated pouty faced angst? No thank you. The show's got enough problems as it is.

:lol:
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
User avatar
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!
 
Posts: 11473
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:26 am

Re: Smallville (Lana is Hot, but...)

Postby ONeillSG1 on Mon May 09, 2011 9:20 pm

papalazeru wrote:
LanaLang4Ever wrote:One thing stood out for me about that last episode. When the Toy Man was tricking Lois into wearing his mind control device, he happened to mention something that was absolutely true. I'll paraphrase it: "You know that Clark's first true love was Lana Lang!"

Thank God that Lana was actually mentioned, but I think it would be criminal to not have her in the final episode. I don't know anyone who actually likes the Lois character. I would give my right arm to see Lana get back together with Clark and have Lois sent to the phantom zone. That would be justice for the fans who have suffered from watching the wholly unlikable Lois get far too much screen time.

Say it with me: We want our LANA LANG in the final episode!!


More constipated pouty faced angst? No thank you. The show's got enough problems as it is.

:lol:


That and the fact if she gets near Clark, she'll kill him with her Kryptonite-filled body.
User avatar
ONeillSG1
ADAMA
 
Posts: 4738
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:23 am
Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Re: Smallville (Lana is Hot, but...)

Postby DennisMM on Sat May 14, 2011 12:22 am

That was a lot of buildup to three important scenes. Could easily have fit into an hour if they had cut some of Jonathan's yacking and all the whininess about the wedding. Oliver and Clark surely took care of the dark ones easily, didn't they? Of course, if Clark can now push a bleeding planet out of orbit, knocking apart Lionel's possessed body shouldn't be difficult. Glad to see the Superman Returns suit, spruced-up for happier times and featuring the yellow cape-shield, and the classic tearing-open of the shirt in the epilogue -- though I wish we'd had a decent look at Welling in the suit. About that epilogue, though -- couldn't someone have used the word "Superman"? And what was with Lex? If the toxin wiped out his memories, how did he pull himself together to become president? There's something out of line there, something not thought through by the writers.

- 7/10, better than most season 10 eps but really only saved by the last half-hour or so.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING
 
Posts: 16808
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:02 pm
Location: Watchin' the reels go 'round and 'round

Re: Smallville (Lana is Hot, but...)

Postby Fievel on Sat May 14, 2011 1:55 am

I just watched the finale after not watching the show for a few years. Good finale. Some parts did drag, but there was enough positives to overlook that.
My favorite thing of the finale? The music. The ebb and flow of the music... slowly teasing Williams' theme... then it finally played at THE perfect moment.

Now THAT is how you pay homage to the Donner films, Mr. Bryan Singer. The little things. The music... the credits... No Superbaby Daddy Drama.

Good finale.

Gotta imagine parts of that episode have been thought out for 10 years or so.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
User avatar
Fievel
Mouse Of The House
 
Posts: 11816
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:07 pm
Location: White Lake, MI

Re: Smallville (Lana is Hot, but...)

Postby Chilli on Sat May 14, 2011 6:29 am

DennisMM wrote:That was a lot of buildup to three important scenes. Could easily have fit into an hour if they had cut some of Jonathan's yacking and all the whininess about the wedding. Oliver and Clark surely took care of the dark ones easily, didn't they? Of course, if Clark can now push a bleeding planet out of orbit, knocking apart Lionel's possessed body shouldn't be difficult. Glad to see the Superman Returns suit, spruced-up for happier times and featuring the yellow cape-shield, and the classic tearing-open of the shirt in the epilogue -- though I wish we'd had a decent look at Welling in the suit. About that epilogue, though -- couldn't someone have used the word "Superman"? And what was with Lex? If the toxin wiped out his memories, how did he pull himself together to become president? There's something out of line there, something not thought through by the writers.

- 7/10, better than most season 10 eps but really only saved by the last half-hour or so.


Lex's stuff is fridge brilliance.

Why?

He has years of his memory wiped, or altered. The first thing he remembers in a decade is being in his office, staring at a PLANET about to destroy Earth. Then he sees a man in a superhero costume throw Earth into space. Combine that with the fact that memories being altered doesn't eradicate his natural curiousity, and you have someone who doesn't buy into the 'Superman is good' theory. For all Lex knows, it was a trick by Superman. So now he's the 'one true voice' who sees Superman as a menace, as he's established in the comic-books. And will do everything in his power to bring Superman down.

As for pulling himself together, it's Lex Luthor. He had his memories wiped in S3, and within weeks was back to his normal self.
Bison: [to his architect] The temple above us was the wonder of the ancient world. Bisonopolis shall be the wonder of my world. But I think the food court should be larger. All the big franchises will want in.
User avatar
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost
 
Posts: 6869
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:13 am
Location: Wales

Re: Smallville (Lana is Hot, but...)

Postby Fried Gold on Sat May 14, 2011 1:29 pm

Smallville was rubs. The finale was too. We should all be glad it's over.

The good thing it did was remove Stargate SG-1 from the Guinness World Records list.
User avatar
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 13855
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:28 pm
Location: ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

Re: Smallville (Lana is Hot, but...)

Postby judderman on Sat May 14, 2011 1:30 pm

Decent finale. Glad they used Williams's music. Don't know why we couldn't have a body shot of Welling flying.
User avatar
judderman
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD
 
Posts: 990
Joined: Tue May 02, 2006 4:24 am

Re: Smallville (Lana is Hot, but...)

Postby Chilli on Sat May 14, 2011 3:00 pm

Fried Gold wrote:Smallville was rubs. The finale was too. We should all be glad it's over.

The good thing it did was remove Stargate SG-1 from the Guinness World Records list.


Classy, sir!
Bison: [to his architect] The temple above us was the wonder of the ancient world. Bisonopolis shall be the wonder of my world. But I think the food court should be larger. All the big franchises will want in.
User avatar
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost
 
Posts: 6869
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:13 am
Location: Wales

Re: Smallville (Lana is Hot, but...)

Postby DennisMM on Sat May 14, 2011 4:30 pm

Chilli, I just don't buy it. A 30-year-old man loses most of his significant memories and does what he did? He should be walking around for years like a third-grader, just trying to understand the world, much less becoming a great power again, Lex Luthor or not. I do like your idea that him seeing Clark for the "first" time could leave him fearful for this creature's influence on the world, but not that he pulled himself out of his condition as much as he did, at least in part because of that.

Fievel, I don't think it was half as good as SR, though it did use elements of the Donner films well. The music was nicely done throughout. judderman, I, too would have liked a nice shot of Clark in the suit and some flying effects that looked more convincing. With so few effects in two hours, you'd think they'd have saved some money for a decent fight and flight.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING
 
Posts: 16808
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:02 pm
Location: Watchin' the reels go 'round and 'round

Re: Smallville (Lana is Hot, but...)

Postby Chilli on Sat May 14, 2011 4:56 pm

Chilli, I just don't buy it. A 30-year-old man loses most of his significant memories and does what he did? He should be walking around for years like a third-grader, just trying to understand the world, much less becoming a great power again, Lex Luthor or not. I do like your idea that him seeing Clark for the "first" time could leave him fearful for this creature's influence on the world, but not that he pulled himself out of his condition as much as he did, at least in part because of that.


I like to think that he based his campaign around the time he stole forty cakes.
Bison: [to his architect] The temple above us was the wonder of the ancient world. Bisonopolis shall be the wonder of my world. But I think the food court should be larger. All the big franchises will want in.
User avatar
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost
 
Posts: 6869
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:13 am
Location: Wales

Re: Smallville (Lana is Hot, but...)

Postby DennisMM on Sat May 14, 2011 5:18 pm

The man loves cake. Who can blame him?
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING
 
Posts: 16808
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:02 pm
Location: Watchin' the reels go 'round and 'round

Re: Smallville (Lana is Hot, but...)

Postby Chilli on Sat May 14, 2011 5:29 pm

But to answer your question properly...

1) They didn't know Lex was going to be in the finale till after it was outlined. And then they had DC's 'it has to be vaguely close to canon' mandate and Rosenbaum not having the time to do more than an extended cameo.
2) Zatanna did it.
Bison: [to his architect] The temple above us was the wonder of the ancient world. Bisonopolis shall be the wonder of my world. But I think the food court should be larger. All the big franchises will want in.
User avatar
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost
 
Posts: 6869
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:13 am
Location: Wales

Re: Smallville (Lana is Hot, but...)

Postby papalazeru on Sun May 15, 2011 6:09 am

I felt cheated. I really did.

Having the old Superman movie was just there to pull on the heart strings. The SR shots just made me groan and I didn't feel at all threatened by a giant ball of fire - mainly because we never really saw what it did!!!!

It could have, should have, been so much better.

I still would have preferred Doomsday rising again and if Darkside really wanted to kick Supes ass, why didn't he bring HIM back?

Still, the ending with the music did tug on the heart stings a little but we needed to see more of Superman.

I was kinda hoping that superman would turn up, tell the people that he's now the worlds hero and if they believed in him he could destroy the planet - then the Darkside mark vanished. All the villains died within seconds and WHERE WERE THE LEAGUE?!?!?!?!

For fucks sake.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
User avatar
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!
 
Posts: 11473
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:26 am

Re: Smallville (Lana is Hot, but...)

Postby DennisMM on Sun May 15, 2011 5:17 pm

Agree on some points, papa, but they tried. Apokolips was an actual planet, a living hell -- though it made no sense for it to be wandering close to Earth without horrible tidal waves and earthquakes. Maybe they originally mentioned them, but cut it due to the Japanese situation. Or maybe Apokolips was in another dimension and would displace/replace Earth, somehow -- making Earth into Apokolips. No, it didn't make a lot of sense, unfortunately.

I just watched the last ten minutes again. I'm surprised no one has mentioned the opening and closing with Chloe, which are a tribute to the opening of Superman: The Movie. Also,it's very clear why this Clark Kent wears a vest -- that raised shield and darker blue costume are fairly obvious under a typical white dress shirt.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING
 
Posts: 16808
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:02 pm
Location: Watchin' the reels go 'round and 'round

Re: Smallville (Lana is Hot, but...)

Postby Chilli on Mon May 16, 2011 2:09 am

papalazeru wrote:I felt cheated. I really did.

Having the old Superman movie was just there to pull on the heart strings. The SR shots just made me groan and I didn't feel at all threatened by a giant ball of fire - mainly because we never really saw what it did!!!!

It could have, should have, been so much better.

I still would have preferred Doomsday rising again and if Darkside really wanted to kick Supes ass, why didn't he bring HIM back?

Still, the ending with the music did tug on the heart stings a little but we needed to see more of Superman.

I was kinda hoping that superman would turn up, tell the people that he's now the worlds hero and if they believed in him he could destroy the planet - then the Darkside mark vanished. All the villains died within seconds and WHERE WERE THE LEAGUE?!?!?!?!

For fucks sake.


Where were The League?

Fighting the group Toyman set up last week.

Well, that's my canon reason. Real reason? They couldn't afford them and have a planet smashing into Earth.

And... huh? You want Superman to tell the people of Earth he's going to commit genocide on a planet to restore their hope? :lol:
Bison: [to his architect] The temple above us was the wonder of the ancient world. Bisonopolis shall be the wonder of my world. But I think the food court should be larger. All the big franchises will want in.
User avatar
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost
 
Posts: 6869
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:13 am
Location: Wales

Re: Smallville (Lana is Hot, but...)

Postby ONeillSG1 on Sun May 22, 2011 4:48 pm

Fried Gold wrote:Smallville was rubs. The finale was too. We should all be glad it's over.

The good thing it did was remove Stargate SG-1 from the Guinness World Records list.


Actually they are both tied at 10 seasons. Just saying.
User avatar
ONeillSG1
ADAMA
 
Posts: 4738
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:23 am
Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Re: Smallville (Lana is Hot, but...)

Postby Fried Gold on Sun May 22, 2011 6:19 pm

ONeillSG1 wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:Smallville was rubs. The finale was too. We should all be glad it's over.

The good thing it did was remove Stargate SG-1 from the Guinness World Records list.


Actually they are both tied at 10 seasons. Just saying.

Smallville = 217 episodes
Stargate = 215 episodes

Smallville wins....but either way, we lose.
User avatar
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 13855
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:28 pm
Location: ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

Re: Smallville (Lana is Hot, but...)

Postby ONeillSG1 on Mon May 23, 2011 2:26 am

Fried Gold wrote:
ONeillSG1 wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:Smallville was rubs. The finale was too. We should all be glad it's over.

The good thing it did was remove Stargate SG-1 from the Guinness World Records list.


Actually they are both tied at 10 seasons. Just saying.

Smallville = 217 episodes
Stargate = 215 episodes

Smallville wins....but either way, we lose.


You're forgetting the two made for DVD movies that count as part of series' construction.

Stargate: Ark of Truth (90 mins)
Stargate: Continuum (90 mins)

Stargate = 219
Smallville = 217

Either way we both WIN!!!!

WIN!!!

YEAH!!!
User avatar
ONeillSG1
ADAMA
 
Posts: 4738
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:23 am
Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

PreviousNext

Return to Coaxial

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron