Smallville (Lana is Hot, but...)

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Re: Lana is Hot, but...

Postby Fried Gold on Sun May 16, 2010 1:18 pm

Why...

...do the cast's character traits seem to change every ten minutes?
...do the relationships between characters seem to flip-flop every episode?
...does it seem like the writers of each episode don't talk to the rest of the writers?
...do they produce 22 episodes a season, but only 6 that are tolerable to watch?
...did they make the Zod & the Kandorians such pansies?
...is there a moment in EVERY episode where someone does something, pauses, looks just off-camera and says "....CHECKMATE LOL!!!111"?
...has this mess not been cancelled yet?
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chilli on Sun May 16, 2010 6:00 pm

Would like to find out where the Book of Rao sent the Kandorians. Phantom Zone? If so, then there's two Zods running around in there. And two Zods don't make a right.

Well, it was described as 'New Krypton', so I'd imagine somewhere less 'intergalactic prisony'

The show has:

1. Lost most the original cast.
2. Lost the creators.
3. Had huge budgets cuts.
4. Been moved around erratically.
5. Been undersold by the network.

And it still

a) Makes a profit.
b) Gets approved by DC comics.
c) And has consistent ratings.

It won't get cancelled. The CW will agree an end-date with the producers. It will have a natural, and logical ending. And years from now, people will look back and go 'well, it wasn't perfect... but they told that story well and didn't royally fuck the mythology up in the last stretch.'
Bison: [to his architect] The temple above us was the wonder of the ancient world. Bisonopolis shall be the wonder of my world. But I think the food court should be larger. All the big franchises will want in.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby papalazeru on Sun May 16, 2010 6:10 pm

Chilli wrote:
Would like to find out where the Book of Rao sent the Kandorians. Phantom Zone? If so, then there's two Zods running around in there. And two Zods don't make a right.

Well, it was described as 'New Krypton', so I'd imagine somewhere less 'intergalactic prisony'

The show has:

2. Lost the creators.

And it still

a) Makes a profit.

It won't get cancelled. The CW will agree an end-date with the producers. It will have a natural, and logical ending. And years from now, people will look back and go 'well, it wasn't perfect... but they told that story well and didn't royally fuck the mythology up in the last stretch.'

6. it's still a good guilty pleasure. :)
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Fried Gold on Sun May 16, 2010 7:01 pm

Chilli wrote:The show has:

2. Lost the creators.

1. What was so wonderful about the original cast?
2. Millar & Gough apparently had a "vision" for the show. Yet it never seemed clear what that was. And they blamed the budget for not being about to reach it, instead to being creative enough to work with it.
3. Budget cuts shouldn't effect the quality of storytelling. Art thrives on restriction.
4. Not especially relevant in this day & age.
5. This point doesn't hold weight.

And it still

a) Makes a profit.

a) Transformers 2 made a profit. It was still dreadful.
b) Good for DC comics.
c) It has a core fanbase. And it attracts comic book fans who hear things like "Jonn Jonzz sees a boomtube in this episode". So it's ratings situation is not unexpected.

It does well for The CW and has established international broadcast deals, so from a financial standpoint I know it obviously won't get cancelled. The show is still massively inconsistent, and often simply rubbish, and I'd like it to either be better...or to die.

papalazeru wrote:6. it's still a good guilty pleasure. :)

Perhaps for some. I'm in that group above that becomes intrigued by what I hear from publicity and end up being disappointed and annoyed time after time.

Chilli wrote:

I'm thinking either New Krypton - to tie-in with the recent comic continuity - or they've all been miniturised into a bottled city somewhere.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Sun May 16, 2010 8:39 pm

Fried Gold wrote:
papalazeru wrote:6. it's still a good guilty pleasure. :)

Perhaps for some. I'm in that group above that becomes intrigued by what I hear from publicity and end up being disappointed and annoyed time after time.

I hadn't watched in two years (more? since a few episodes into Kara's visit), but I came back because the intertubes said the quality was improving. I found it inconsistent, though I liked Zod and was glad to see Chloe get a more central role. Not sure how I felt about lots of the episodes this season, though. Some were downright embarrassing - telepathy and wonder twins come to mind. I'll give it a look come autumn, but odds are I'll drift away again and just check in for the last couple eps of the program.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby RogueScribner on Sun May 16, 2010 9:50 pm

The only difference between Heroes and Smallville is that the latter made me geekgasm every once in a while. But then again, Heroes didn't have all that sucky Clark/Lana melodrama.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby TheButcher on Thu May 20, 2010 12:34 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Thu May 20, 2010 2:38 pm

cool. I haven't watched most of this season, I have a ton of eps sitting on my DVR. now that I know that it is finally ending after next season, I'll probably watch them and hang in 'til the end. I've been watching off and on for years now, and I wont go into the problems with the show, they are well documented, but I admit that the one thing that I've been curious about from the beginning was how the show would end.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby DennisMM on Sat May 22, 2010 10:49 pm

Or how it should have ended, five years ago, when they graduated from high school and Clark went off to travel the world and learn who he had to become. Never meeting Lois Lane, Perry White, Jimmy Olsen, etc, etc, etc, until he moved to Metropolis ten years later.

Seriously, if they don't put him in the red and blues early on next year, the whole thing will have been a disgrace. But I suspect they'll wait until the last, multi-part episode's final throwdown with Darkseid or whoever is next year's big bad. The Blur will come forward as Superman (probably named by Lois, as in the last 25 years of comics) and all the other superheroes will step from the shadows to join him.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM

SMALLVILLE The Final Season

Postby TheButcher on Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:51 pm

From Heat Vision: The final 'Smallville' baddie:Darkseid

From Hero Complex @ COMIC-CON 2010: Saying goodbye to 'Smallville'

Low Quality Smallville Season 10 trailer SDCC 2010 Comic Con
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: SMALLVILLE The Final Season

Postby papalazeru on Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:00 pm

Thanks Butcher.

I'm going to miss Smallville, that's for sure. As bad as it's been, it's had some equally cool moments. At least the characters have moved on and we've gone more into the Superman universe. I honestly wouldn't mind seeing a good 2 hour movie to end this season (as mentioned before).

It's been a good run.

papalazeru

Postby TheButcher on Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:09 pm

From CBR: Watch The Teasers For Smallville’s Final Season:

Is that the suit from Superman Returns?
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby DennisMM on Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:20 pm

It's definitely similar, including the raised shield on the chest. Think they'll keep the skimpy briefs? Go with no briefs?
DennisMM

Postby Leckomaniac on Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:04 am

I believe they said at the panel it would be the Superman Returns suit.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chilli on Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:38 pm

DennisMM wrote:Or how it should have ended, five years ago, when they graduated from high school and Clark went off to travel the world and learn who he had to become. Never meeting Lois Lane, Perry White, Jimmy Olsen, etc, etc, etc, until he moved to Metropolis ten years later.

Seriously, if they don't put him in the red and blues early on next year, the whole thing will have been a disgrace. But I suspect they'll wait until the last, multi-part episode's final throwdown with Darkseid or whoever is next year's big bad. The Blur will come forward as Superman (probably named by Lois, as in the last 25 years of comics) and all the other superheroes will step from the shadows to join him.

Clark spent most of S9 being a miserable git. No way should he wear the suit until he smiles every episode, and finds a way to stalk Lois and James Marsden.
Bison: [to his architect] The temple above us was the wonder of the ancient world. Bisonopolis shall be the wonder of my world. But I think the food court should be larger. All the big franchises will want in.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby RaulMonkey on Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:39 pm

Personally, I think they should go with more of a loose-fitting pajama look this time.

RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby papalazeru on Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:08 pm

RaulMonkey wrote:Personally, I think they should go with more of a loose-fitting pajama look this time.

You keep saying that,

...Dammit the vid I wanted to post has mysteriously disappeared.

but I'm sure you guess what it was.

papalazeru

Postby RaulMonkey on Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:14 pm

...not sure, paps. The only video that comes to mind was filmed with a JVC circa 1991, so it'd be kinda hard to post.

(Long story, but it involves my fourth grade substitute in a loose housecoat with his chest exposed. Not cute.)
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:14 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby DennisMM on Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:21 pm

So, Smallville is back and Clark is still scowling and moping, even though he banished Zod and the other Kryptonians.

A couple of fanboyish nitpicks:

1) How did Clark survive the fall to the street from the tall building? The whole point of the blue Kryptonite dagger was that it removed his powers and he wouldn't be recognized as a Kryptonian by the portal.

2) Why does ghostly/ethereal/hallucinatory Jonathan Kent look five years older than the last time he appeared? (That one's a real fanboy nitpick, I know, but de-aging software is out there and in use.)

Bringing Luthor back without Michael Rosenbaum is a bit of a stretch, but the two actors who portrayed "Lex" Friday night made good efforts. This might work, but if Rosenbaum can't be convinced to return for at least one episode, what's the point? They did, at least, have a reasonable explanation for why the clones exist -- even if it was stolen from Parts: The Clonus Horror.

The Superman Returns suit, which didn't displease me in the least as seen in the film, looks great in Technicolor, as Lois put it. The brighter colors are a plus in this reality where heroes don't always feel the need to look relatively subdued.

I'm happy to see Lois pushed into the background for a handful of episodes, as I've never been fond of the character. It seems as if all of Clark's love interests are irritating. On the other hand, I'm sorry to see Chloe disappear for most of the season. She has, for most of the show's run, been my favorite character even when she was irritating. Yes, she's a bit of a Mary Jane, but they kept her interesting. Turning her into Oracle was a neat idea and a natural progression of the character.

Was it just me, or did the CGI Darkseid image look like somebody created it on her/his home computer?
DennisMM

Postby ONeillSG1 on Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:59 pm

DennisMM wrote:Was it just me, or did the CGI Darkseid image look like somebody created it on her/his home computer?

Nope, it wasn't just you. It looked that bad. But, I guess most of the budget for the ep was spent on the Daily Planet globe save.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:36 pm

So I decided to blow off Season 9 and just watched the season finale. i didn't really feel like I'd missed much. I still have the full season on my DVR so if one of you thinks I should see some moment, let me know and I'll go back and catch it.

I watched the premiere of Season 10. It was ok. The Darkseid image was pretty horrible, as noted above. If the first half of Season 10 is Clark cruising around on an ego trip, i'm going to be pretty annoyed. Hopefully his connection with ghost Jonathan cured that right up front.

I'm with Dennis regarding Chloe. She bugs me sometimes, but she's the most consistently like-able character currently on the show to me. Dennis- you mentioned Chloe going away for most of the season. Is that based on the storyline (her exchanging herself for Ollie and going into captivity) or is that comment based on some external news? I don't really track news about Smallville too closely so I thought you might have seen something about it.

I don't know what the general geek consensus is regarding Michael Rosenbaum as Luthor, but I always really liked him in that role. a younger, more serious, more conflicted Lex who is considerably less "swindler" and more of a legitimate foil. Regardless of Smallville's failings (and there are many) I always really liked how they handled Lex in the first several seasons. I'd love to see Rosenbaum come back for a few eps in the last season. Is that not a possibility? I haven't exactly seen Rosenbaum lighting up the box office or anything...I wonder if it's just about the head shaving. If they can't get Rosenbaum back, my opinion is that they should use the clone thing as a one-off only for the first episode of the season and then leave it alone. I know they have a legit storyline excuse for recasting but it just seems cheap this late in the game.

I should change the title of this thread to "Erica Durance has nice boobs, but...."
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby DennisMM on Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:00 pm

Moo, excellent points. Yes, please change the name of the thread.

I can't recall where I read them, but the items I mentioned about the cast were based on a report from one of the sites that closely covers Smallville. Callum Blue originally was signed for two years, but his option was not picked up when they decided to write out the Kryptonians and go with Apokalips for the tenth season. Apparently, Alison Mack's option as a regular was not picked up, either, but she was signed to do five episodes. They are using her "quest" to explain this. I didn't see an explanation for Durance's temporary absence. I assume it's to strengthen the bond between Lois and Clark. Personally, I wish they'd weaken it.

Of course, I wish they'd go all the way back to Lois's introduction and make her a one-shot or vaguely recurring character for a single season. She didn't have to know about Clark before he put on the cape. Jeez, did EVERYONE have to know who he is before he put on the cape? This is as bad as the Batman movies.
Last edited by DennisMM on Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DennisMM

Postby Peven on Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:01 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:
I should change the title of this thread to "Erica Durance has nice boobs, but...."

don't tell us, show us.....

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Bob Samonkey on Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:33 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:I should change the title of this thread to "Erica Durance has nice boobs, but...."

DennisMM wrote:Moo, excellent points. Yes, please change the name of the thread.

Peven wrote:don't tell us, show us.....

Shouldn't it be "Lois has nice boobs, but..."?
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Fried Gold on Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:44 pm

Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:
Lord Voldemoo wrote:I should change the title of this thread to "Erica Durance has nice boobs, but...."

DennisMM wrote:Moo, excellent points. Yes, please change the name of the thread.

Peven wrote:don't tell us, show us.....

Shouldn't it be "Lois has nice boobs, but..."?

You could all just go find a copy of House of the Dead.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:47 pm

All I wrote was that the thread title should be updated. I don't need to be subjected to such threats.
DennisMM

Postby Leckomaniac on Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:49 pm

Just a few thoughts on the premiere and the general discussion:

-The FX were especially bad for some reason. It just stood out more.

-Lois has exceptional boobs and a thread name change is absolutely in order.

-Chloe was great when all my hate was fixated on Lana. Now, they give all the stupid story lines to Chloe. Not a fan.

-Ollie is pretty much my favorite character on the show now.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby RogueScribner on Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:26 am

I watched the premiere because I heard Clark is going to put on the suit at some point. So my rabid Superman fanaticism is forcing me to watch this stupid show again. I only hope it doesn't turn my brain to mush before season's end. The absence of Lana should go a long way towards that goal, methinks. :mrgreen:
Last edited by RogueScribner on Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby TheButcher on Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:40 pm

IGN Exclusive: Deadly comic book character to debut on the Clark Kent series
Smallville: Battlestar Alum Set to Play DC's Deathstroke
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby DennisMM on Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:09 pm

The October 1 episode was weak sauce all around. Why they felt the need to make Deadshot a cowboy fetishist was unclear. The stuff with Lois and Carter didn't seem to go anywhere. "Cat Grant" made me want to slap her and wasn't hot enough to balance that out. At least Clark put on a little color at the end of the episode. Just red, and it was still leather, but it's a start on the way to the tights. And the mention of the radio host continues the setup for Darkseid. I'm assuming that's G. Gordon Godfrey, AKA Glorious Godfrey.

Does anyone else see a pattern in the development of the show the last few years? Chloe became the ruler of cyberspace, Clark took to wearing a black trenchcoat, other costumed heroes adopted gear that went beyond hoodies. It's as if they were taking their cues from the long-defunct (and frequently awful, but sometimes fun) Birds of Prety.
DennisMM

Postby ONeillSG1 on Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:02 am

Tonight's episode kicked my ass. Hard.

Meeting future Clark, seeing what he can do, letting go . . . FINALLY CK is going to turn into SUPERMAN.

That's what I'm talking about.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Postby DennisMM on Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:48 pm

It may not have been the best episode in recent years, but it was my favorite episode in a very long time. Even with the Lois/Clark comedy, I was pleased by the show. Welling didn't quite pull off older Clark, but he tried hard. The helicopter rescue was a nice homage to the first movie. I especially enjoyed the woman who said, "I told you it wasn't him. It's just that guy from the eighth floor." It was a tiny bit, but it was entertaining.
DennisMM

Postby ONeillSG1 on Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:56 pm

DennisMM wrote:Even with the Lois/Clark comedy, I was pleased by the show. Welling didn't quite pull off older Clark, but he tried hard. The helicopter rescue was a nice homage to the first movie. I especially enjoyed the woman who said, "I told you it wasn't him. It's just that guy from the eighth floor." It was a tiny bit, but it was entertaining.

Couldn't agree more.

Older CK looked a little hunched. He needed to be more epically heroic, more statue-esque when talking to his younger self.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Postby DennisMM on Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:35 pm

The October 22 episode was weak, weak, weak. How many times must we see possession of various sorts on this program? It feels like they've done it at least once each season. The episode wasn't helped by Durance's acting, which I've always found to be competent at best. Her Lois Lane has never struck me as a person that anyone would want except for her great body and pretty face. Welling is no great shakes, either, but at least he's grown over the years, whereas Durance seems stuck. Her reaction to Clark's confession was scripted, obviously, but it seemed way out of line for someone pushing 30.

For some reason, I thought they had dumped the Cat Grant character. I was disheartened to see her return. Moving Tess into the Oracle role clearly is meant to create tension for the remainder of the season, before Chloe pops her head up temporarily. I'm pessimistic about how powerful that may be. At least we didn't get the awful CGI Darkseid-cloud this week.
DennisMM

Postby DennisMM on Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:46 pm

October 29 was almost embarrassing, a sort of story that's been done dozens of times before. I even wrote one, once. Like more than a few recent episodes, Clark's powers were suggested rather than shown. We didn't see him using strength and speed to change a tire. The only real effects sequence was kryptonite-laced water falling on Clark, a fairly cheap optical effect. I know the show has faced budget cuts, but have the producers become this desperate?
DennisMM

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:05 pm

I only watched the season opener, just out of curiousity, but have given up on it again.

I'm told they're now throwing all kinds of random crap from the comics at the audience...is that right?
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby papalazeru on Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:05 pm

Fried Gold wrote:I only watched the season opener, just out of curiousity, but have given up on it again.

I'm told they're now throwing all kinds of random crap from the comics at the audience...is that right?

That is correct. There more crap being thrown than a Poopflingius Maximus family reunion.

Edit: Oh hey, the filter still works :D

papalazeru

Postby Bob Samonkey on Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:39 pm

papalazeru wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:I only watched the season opener, just out of curiousity, but have given up on it again.

That is correct. There more crap being thrown than a Poopflingius Maximus family reunion.

Edit: Oh hey, the filter still works :D

Very true on both counts...
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby RogueScribner on Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:18 am

I kept expecting Wash to fly in and drop Mal off for a last minute rescue of Lois. Bah...
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:46 am

Also, they actually made Granny Goodness....a granny?
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby papalazeru on Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:55 am

Fried Gold wrote:Also, they actually made Granny Goodness....a granny?

Count yourself lucky they didn't introduce her back in series 4, or you'd have a new granny every season.

papalazeru

Postby papalazeru on Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:38 am

I know there was something wrong with this weeks episode. I can't quite put my finger on it. Hawkman just felt wrong to me....

papalazeru

Postby Bob Samonkey on Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:33 pm

I am saddened by the lack of Matrix jokes in this thread...
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby DennisMM on Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:07 pm

Someone would have to be watching the program to make jokes.

Yeah, it was an awful rip-off, just like many other episodes. At least Chloe's back for a week or two. They've got three months to make sense of this thing. I doubt Darkseid is going to show up in person, so they had best find a good proxy. None of Darkseid's minions seen thus far have impressed me.
DennisMM

Postby papalazeru on Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:57 am

I think it's dangerous territory, this late in the game and they are still coming out with shitty storylines like this.

They need to focus more on what's going to happen over the next few eps and build up to one awesome reveal in the final TV movie.

Please don't blow the ending!!!!!

papalazeru

Postby TheButcher on Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:40 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:42 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Bob Samonkey on Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:52 am

And now we have date night...
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby DennisMM on Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:04 pm

The 2/18 episode wasn't bad at all. The darkness keeps creeping in, though I'm not sure how I feel about it having invaded Oliver. Any excuse to get Chloe into some good drama is welcome to me. I like that they've introduced a new power, with an interesting visual to go with it. And the glasses are finally here, including pushing them up with the index finger!

Was the hood on the leather a nod to the recent Earth One graphic novel, with its Clark wearing a hoody under his jacket? Or just in keeping with Oliver's team all wearing hoods?
DennisMM

PreviousNext

Return to Coaxial