ROME

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Postby so sorry on Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:22 pm

So I finished watching the first Season of Rome this weekend (bought the boxed set).
Surely you guys have moved on to season 2, but I want to get my impressions of S1 off my chest while they are fresh in my mind (SPOILERS BELOW):

Overall I’d have to say that I was under whelmed by what could have been a fantastic show.
What I would have liked was a (mostly) historical show about the fall of Julius Caesar and how it affected the City State of Rome and its citizens. The political intrigue, the backstabbing (literally), the debauchery, the battles.
We were shown these things, but never enough for my taste. It seemed like every momentus event was underminded by the inclusion of Pollo and Verinus’s direct involvement.

While Titus Pullo and Lucius Verenus were great characters, I did not like the way they were weaved into every episode and how much they affected Caesar’s rule. My guess is that the writers wanted to show the everyday life and struggles of roman citizens as well as the elite upper-class, but I really thought they went overboard in trying to merge the two. To recap the Pollo/Verenus adventures: they stumbled upon a kidnapped Octavius and the stolen Golden Eagle, they stumbled upon half the roman treasury, they were fucking shipwrecked and STILL managed to stumble upon a retreating Pompay and family, and they fucked Cleopatra and may have impregnated her! All the while Caesar knows what they are doing (except for the Cleo part), and all he does it reward them for they deeds that should have gotten them killed (Pollo spending some of the missing gold, Verinus deciding to let Pompay go, Verinus jumping into the Gladiator battle, et cetera). I know that they explain this away with Ceaser saying that they have the gods on their side, but I really disliked Pollo/Verinus’s DIRECT impact on . That being said, both characters were handled magnificently. I was completely shocked when Pollo bashed that slave’s head in when he found out his love was not reciprocated.

The lack of battle scenes was disturbing. I can understand that they were most likely not done due to budget reasons, but c’mon, throw me a bone and give me at least one fight from the Pompay/Caesar showdown! They skipped over this epic battle so fast my head was spinning… I WANT BLOODSHED!
Speaking of battles, the Pollo gladiator fight was lame.

The women of Rome were superb. It was great to see them pull the strings of the ‘superior’ men. The actresses who played Atia and Servilia were excellent to say the least. Oh yeah, loved the boobs too! I wasn’t crazy about how Cleopatra was portrayed, but I don’t have the historical background to say whether it was accurate or not.

If you are still reading this and haven’t seen this show, you must at least watch the final episode, which was GRIPPING to say the least. The assassination of Caesar was brutal and moving (c’mon, tell me you didn’t feel bad for the guy). And Servilia’s total smackdown of Atia was incredible. I want to see the rise of Octavius!

A quick note about the DVD/Box set: the DVDs have a great feature that helped and hurt my viewing: a special feature called All Roads Lead to Rome. Its essentially pop up factoids that occur during the show to help explain things. For example, every a Roman god was mentioned, a little popup window would appear and explain who the god was and what the gods purpose was. It also fleshed out some of the character’s true history that was left out (Pompay’s flight/retreat to Greece was greatly detailed in the PopUps). The only problem I had with this feature is that I would pause the playback to read the info and think about it, which would affect the flow of the episode. I wish they had produced a “History of Romeâ€
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby John-Locke on Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:36 pm

so sorry wrote:Overall I’d have to say that I was under whelmed by what could have been a fantastic show.

I think it could have been better but I still think it's miles a head of most TV shows

so sorry wrote:What I would have liked was a (mostly) historical show about the fall of Julius Caesar and how it affected the City State of Rome and its citizens. The political intrigue, the backstabbing (literally), the debauchery, the battles.
We were shown these things, but never enough for my taste. It seemed like every momentus event was underminded by the inclusion of Pollo and Verinus’s direct involvement.

While Titus Pullo and Lucius Verenus were great characters, I did not like the way they were weaved into every episode and how much they affected Caesar’s rule. My guess is that the writers wanted to show the everyday life and struggles of roman citizens as well as the elite upper-class, but I really thought they went overboard in trying to merge the two. To recap the Pollo/Verenus adventures: they stumbled upon a kidnapped Octavius and the stolen Golden Eagle, they stumbled upon half the roman treasury, they were fucking shipwrecked and STILL managed to stumble upon a retreating Pompay and family, and they fucked Cleopatra and may have impregnated her! All the while Caesar knows what they are doing (except for the Cleo part), and all he does it reward them for they deeds that should have gotten them killed (Pollo spending some of the missing gold, Verinus deciding to let Pompay go, Verinus jumping into the Gladiator battle, et cetera). I know that they explain this away with Ceaser saying that they have the gods on their side, but I really disliked Pollo/Verinus’s DIRECT impact on . That being said, both characters were handled magnificently. I was completely shocked when Pollo bashed that slave’s head in when he found out his love was not reciprocated.

Yeah it is too much of a stretch to believe, I think you summed up what the writers were trying when you mentioned them having the Gods on thier side

so sorry wrote:The lack of battle scenes was disturbing. I can understand that they were most likely not done due to budget reasons, but c’mon, throw me a bone and give me at least one fight from the Pompay/Caesar showdown! They skipped over this epic battle so fast my head was spinning… I WANT BLOODSHED!

Yeah it must have been Budget, the small battle in Gaul in Episode 1 was pretty well handled though

so sorry wrote:Speaking of battles, the Pollo gladiator fight was lame.

WHAT? That was like the greatest thing in the whole show

THIRTEEN!

so sorry wrote:The women of Rome were superb. It was great to see them pull the strings of the ‘superior’ men. The actresses who played Atia and Servilia were excellent to say the least. Oh yeah, loved the boobs too! I wasn’t crazy about how Cleopatra was portrayed, but I don’t have the historical background to say whether it was accurate or not.

Apparently their portrayal of Cleopatra was the most accurate of all Characters

so sorry wrote:Anywho, from what I’ve read they are only doing one more season (just started airing last night?), so hopefully they won’t end it abruptly and leave story lines open ended (and hopefully season 2 will be out on DVD by Christmas!)

I think it starts next Sunday unless it's available on HBO On Demand.

Yes unfortunately it is the last season, I don't think they really wanted to do a second season but they had spent so much money on the sets that they would have lost money if they didn't.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby so sorry on Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:19 pm

JL, the gladiator fight just didn't do it for me... don't know why exactly.

PS thanks for reading all my review!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Saffy on Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:33 pm

I hesitate to use the word Soap Opera, because this show is above Soap Operas. But it isn't a historical drama and if that is what you were expecting you ARE going to be disappointed.

However I thoroughly enjoyed the tawdry Dynasty with some artistic OOOMPH . It is violent, sexy, funny, and charming all rolled up in one.

I am going to side with John Locke with the Gladiator fight.
That was a truly " HOLY SHIT" Tv moment.
Saffy
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:42 am

Saffy wrote:But it isn't a historical drama and if that is what you were expecting you ARE going to be disappointed.
However I thoroughly enjoyed the tawdry Dynasty with some artistic OOOMPH . It is violent, sexy, funny, and charming all rolled up in one.
I am going to side with John Locke with the Gladiator fight.
That was a truly " HOLY SHIT" Tv moment.

fuck. yeah.

I went into it thinking it was going to at least try for historical accuracy, and came away as satisfied as any bloodthirsty citizen after a particularly zesty day at the Colosseum...
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Wrong Guy on Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:13 am

Yeah, that gladiator fight was WAY better than anything in that Russell Crowe flick. :)

Rome is pretty kick-ass show. But The Wire is better. 8)
The Wrong Guy
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby TonyWilson on Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:20 am

Rome was something I thought I'd be legal about and watch the eps when they played on BBC2...and after I'd seen the episodes but then reliased, to my disgust, that the beeb cut great swathes of the show out.
So I'm catching up on it at the moment, it's fucking fantastic but like So Sorry says, Pullo and Vorenus having such a massive impact on things was hard to believe. However if you take it as the Pullo and Vorenus chronicles it's pretty magnificent.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby John-Locke on Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:20 pm

Just like Pluto's thorny cock in Juno's cunny, Rome returns and yes there was blood and carnage.

Very strong episode, I simply cannot wait to see the next installment, one of the best shows on TV is back and I am one happy bunny.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:07 pm

John-Locke wrote:THIRTEEN!

INDEED JOHN INDEED
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Wolfpack on Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:12 pm

Cicero is quite the sleazy toad in this one. You'd never guess he was one of the world's greatest orators.
"Alright Shaggy - you and Scooby head over that way. The girls and I will go this way."
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:23 pm

Wolfpack wrote:Cicero is quite the sleazy toad in this one. You'd never guess he was one of the world's greatest orators.

Why can't you be both ;)
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Wolfpack on Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:25 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:
Wolfpack wrote:Cicero is quite the sleazy toad in this one. You'd never guess he was one of the world's greatest orators.

Why can't you be both ;)

Oh, stereosforgeeks, we both know that lawyers are incapable of sleaze.
"Alright Shaggy - you and Scooby head over that way. The girls and I will go this way."
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:29 pm

Wolfpack wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:

Why can't you be both ;)

Oh, stereosforgeeks, we both know that lawyers are incapable of sleaze.

COMPLETELY
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Carolian on Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:54 pm

Kevin McKidd really is amazing as Vorenus. His stunned, shell-shocked wandering through Rome was one of the best parts of the episode.

I really hope that I'm able to accept Simon Woods as Octavian, because God, I love Max Pirkis's Octavian.
The whole world's wild at heart and weird on top.

This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality, and my belief... in personal freedom.
Carolian
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby Fievel on Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:10 pm

So.... (regarding the first NEW episode)...
With all the F-bombs, is this the new Deadwood? I didn't mind them, but it seemed almost Deadwood-esque.
Those last 5 minutes were just completely friggin' AWESOME.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby wonkabar on Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:13 pm

This season is gonna be killer....I'll miss Niobe though
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:27 pm

is it just me, or did polly walker put on a few pounds? she's still hot and all, but she looks a bit more full-figured than she did last season. hopefully we'll get another nude scene to tell for certain.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:42 pm

TheBaxter wrote:is it just me, or did polly walker put on a few pounds? she's still hot and all, but she looks a bit more full-figured than she did last season. hopefully we'll get another nude scene to tell for certain.

It's not just you, she's defintely gained a little weight.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby John-Locke on Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:45 pm

Yeah she has, maybe they did it on purpose so that Mark Antonys' decision to dump her for Cleopatra will be easier.

(Like it was hard in the first place)

(Oh er missus)
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby John-Locke on Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:01 pm

This weeks episode was great, loved the stuff with Lucius Vorenus and the Roman Mob, I hope this is something that will still be a part of the story for a good few episodes and we don't see Vorenus and Pullo doing something else in two weeks time, I'm expecting the story to jump a good few years next week or the one after, It's going to be interesting to see how corupted Vorenus will be by then.

The underlying hatred and disdain between Atia & Servilia whilst making a public display of unity was a joy to behold, the bitchy/cattiness between Cleopatra & Atia somehow managed to be even more entertaining, Polly Walker absolutely nailed her character last night and she made me chuckle numerous times through her spot on timing and line delivery, she has become (or always has been) the shows comic relief in a weird and twisted way.

The fight between Mark Antony and Octavian was great TV, it was like watching a disfunctional family feud taking place and actually felt quite real.

All round a great episode, I'm expecting tremendous things from Rome this season.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby TonyWilson on Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:46 pm

I loved the final shot of Vorenus' family. I hope he gets them back
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby Adam Balm on Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:51 pm

I'm going to freaking sob when Octavian gets replaced by whats-his-name when they jump ahead in time.

Max Pirkis is the most talented actor they got on this show.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:08 pm

Are they really jumping ahead? I haven't looked into the season's storyline at all. That both bums me out and intrigues the hell out of me. Either way, just being back more lesbian action please. I was bummed when Cleopatra told Atia to kiss her that it wasn't a REAL kiss.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Adam Balm on Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:44 pm

I remember reading that Max Pirkis was going to be replaced by an older actor part way through the season.

I assume they'll be jumping ahead in that case.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MonkeyM666 on Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:45 am

I just finished watching the entire series 1 a couple of nights ago. Some great well rounded characters, strong and truly conflicted men, woman that are shown as manipulators of the Roman nobles and therefore the Roman senate (I think that it's the story of the Roman woman which really pulls the entire series together for me), and the children are show as such innocent beauties. There is no one on the sidelines...

The final ep. There was such passion and intensity in this episode, I was really moved. When #spoiler# Caesar was stabbed, all though I know what coming I was really shocked, and a little disgusted in the animalistic behaviours of the senators. The thirst in they're eye's was really disturbing, the slim smiles on their faces really cemented the pack mentality... and they just kept stabbing and stabbing. :shock:

Production wise it’s hard to falter, other then the favoured use of strobing (especially in the opening titles, which I think really takes way from the simple, and purposeful animations.)

Fantastic ep, and a really good show.
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Adam Balm on Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:45 am

I figured this was the best place to post this:

Archaeologists might have found the mythical cave where a wolf suckled the two founders of Rome.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:07 am

just got around to watching the latest episode tonight.

i'm loving the whole Darth Vorenus storyline. is it just me, or would that guy have made an excellent anakin skywalker. vorenus' storyline is much more convincing (and well-acted) at showing someone succumbing to the dark side. the character is also much more interesting this season than he was last season. vorenus bored me a bit at times last season, but i guess dark haunted characters are more interesting generally speaking.

i had a feeling vorenus' kids were gonna turn up again at some point. it will be interesting to see how far his character sinks before he finds out they're still alive. i hope it's pretty far.

i liked cleopatra better in this episode more too. she seemed much more like a queen, and much more like she was actually in control of stuff. last season she just seemed like a coked-up whore. she's also prettier with the longer hair.

i'm gonna miss max pirkis too. they should've used some of that huge budget to make him look older when it jumps ahead. but the show has done a solid job of casting pretty much across the board, so i'll keep my fingers crossed that they do as good a job casting augustus caesar as they did casting gaius octavian.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby TheAllSeeingEye on Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:16 pm

Just watched the last episode. Wow. This show just gets better and better.

Best moment by far was the look on that guys face in the senate when he was reading aloud Cicero's letter. He knew he was up for a hiding. And Marc Anthony, what a fucking psychopath?

A little annoyed at how they've seemingly cut short Vorenus's role as the Godfather since he's been re-enlisted in Mark Antonys' legion.

Can't wait for next weeks episode though; as long as they cut back on the male nudity. I only like to see one penis a day; mine.
TheAllSeeingEye
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby John-Locke on Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:23 pm

Do you reckon Atia will be dead at the start of the next episode?

I loved the first half of this episode, Atia convincing Mark Antony not to go to Macedonia with just a few words and then the wry smile she gave when she realised it had worked was hilarious.

The fight between Pullo & Vorenus was great, seemed like something from a Walter Hill film or They Live, two friends beating the shit out of each other with the knowledge that neither one is really going to go to far, good stuff.

I did find some of the latter parts of the episode rather predictable, I knew Cicero was going to side with Octavian, after the 6 months leap ahead or whatever it was when Pullo returned and was told that Vorenus had gone to Gaul with Mark Antony I could tell exactly what was going to happen, I knew Niobes sister would then find him and my prediction for the future is Pullo will save Vorenus' children but at the same time join Caesars Army and will end up fighting Vorenus, probably in Egypt.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Adam Balm on Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:05 pm

Anyone read Herc's spoilers for the next few eps?

I guess we've seen the last of Max Pirkis. :(
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheAllSeeingEye on Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:43 pm

Yeh. Max Pirkis, as good as he was, wasn't ever going to play Augustus though. He'll move on to better things after his stint on rome i imagine.

As for Atia being dead. I dunno. It's a possibility and would be just deserts for the sadistic bitch, but it'd be a shame..she's such a MILF.

I can't wait to see Pullo kick some arse in the next episode.
TheAllSeeingEye
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Fievel on Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:01 am

Wow.
The Vorenus Godfather part was the best thing this whole season. I frickin' LOVED that aspect! And now POOF! it's gone. I wish it would have gone on long enough for him to have a panic attack.... Tony Soprano's ancestor.
I really loved the Pullo/Vorenus fight, too. The "They Live" comparison is spot on.
The "hemp" scene cracked me up. Mom bitches that they're smoking it, and that it's smelling up the whole house, and then.... "is it any good?". HAHA! Good times.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:40 am

i really like this show, but would it kill them to, just once, show an actual battle, and not just the aftermath?
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Fievel on Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:21 am

Man... the ending of this past episode absolutely rocked. I believe that's the first time the Opening Credits tune has been used inside the actual show, at least that I can remember. When it started I couldn't help but rock out on my couch. Great stuff.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Fievel on Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:09 am

Interesting episode.
Next week's looks to be killer.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Adam Balm on Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:46 am

Does anybody else think the show now feels like it has ten times the budget? The first season, I couldn't understand where all the money was going. But now it's finally feeling epic.

And the preview of next week...my GOD.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:57 am

Adam Balm wrote:Does anybody else think the show now feels like it has ten times the budget? The first season, I couldn't understand where all the money was going. But now it's finally feeling epic.

And the preview of next week...my GOD.

Next week appears to validate your question. That previewed scene of the two armies lined up at each other is just what I think everyone's been waiting for out of this show.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby John-Locke on Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:10 pm

I haven't seen the preview for next weeks episode but this weeks installment was exquisite, no violence just pure drama and a healthy dose of comedic genius courtesy of Atia as she schemes and manipulates everyone around her with ease. All the women of Rome were trying to manipulate people and most were succeeding.

This season has been great so far, I'm actually really looking forward to seeing where Timon's story is heading too.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Fievel on Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:44 pm

John-Locke wrote:this weeks installment was exquisite, no violence just pure drama and a healthy dose of comedic genius courtesy of Atia as she schemes and manipulates everyone around her with ease.

Atia's line of "Oh, I'm not alone" to Marc Antony was the biggest "Oh snap!" moment of this series so far in my opinion.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby so sorry on Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:51 pm

I just found out that my cable provider is giving me a free HBO weekend in a few weeks, and I cannot fucking wait to watch all of Season 2 of Rome.

I'm currently rewatching season 1 at work during the day, and I'm liking this show even more with the second viewing. Same gripes that I've already stated above (top of this page), but what I loved before I love even more now!

March 15th can't come fast enough!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby John-Locke on Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:57 pm

I hope they are indeed showing all the episodes that weekend, it's been great so far, I don't think the series will be quite finished at that point as we have just reached the halfway point so you might miss the last two or three episodes.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby so sorry on Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:08 pm

yeah, I figured I'd miss a bunch of the them, but my alternative is to not watch any and wait for the DVD boxed set (if it follows S1, the DVDs should be out by Christmastime). That's too long for me to wait!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Lady Sheridan on Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:28 pm

I finally saw the first two episodes of Rome. I'm hooked so far and not just because of James Purefoy taking it all off.

I'm willing to bet the writers read Colleen McCullough's Rome series as the similarities are uncanny. Anyone who's really into the show should pick it up, it starts with Marius and Sulla and goes through Caesar's assassination. I never finished it as it was exhausting in the details of the Forum, but it was all the filth and intrigue you could want.
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:53 pm

Lady Sheridan wrote:I finally saw the first two episodes of Rome. I'm hooked so far and not just because of James Purefoy taking it all off.

I'm willing to bet the writers read Colleen McCullough's Rome series as the similarities are uncanny. Anyone who's really into the show should pick it up, it starts with Marius and Sulla and goes through Caesar's assassination. I never finished it as it was exhausting in the details of the Forum, but it was all the filth and intrigue you could want.

I'm glad you've gotten into it. Rome is like crack, it's dirty and nasty and incredibly addictive. LOVE that show.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby Lady Sheridan on Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:11 pm

I really want Attia's outfits. Gorgeous!!
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby wonkabar on Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:24 pm

Octavia is a cutie-pie
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby John-Locke on Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:00 pm

Damn, these last two episodes have been filled to the brim with excellent stuff, enough material to fill a whole season of a lesser show.

Two episodes to go, can it get any better?
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Quiet Storm on Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:03 pm

I thought nothing could ever top 1st Season's Gladiator Pit Brawl. 13! 13!

Pullo's tounge fatality is one of the best kills I have ever witness commited to screen. Slave Girl's Involunatery Vasectomy Fatality was pretty awesome to.
Quiet Storm
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Fievel on Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:18 pm

Yeah, I'm really impressed with how they're handling the end of the series so far. They're spanning a lot of time quickly, but so well done that I didn't feel lost. They know how much time they have to tell as much story as they possibly can, and are doing a damn good job of it.

Octavius is quite the polite freak the way he very cordially explained how he will beat his wife as he gets pleasure from it. I guess that's what happens when you do your own sister at an early age.

The street brawl was awesome. Pullo throwing the axe immediately after killing the first guy was my favorite part - it was a WAY cool death AND the guy was a dick.

I hate the one chick for killing Pullo's wife and child. I really loved how his character had developed over the two seasons. Now he has no reason to be the person he had become anymore.

And because I don't think he has been mentioned... one of my favorite parts of this show that will sadly come to an end all to soon.... the town cryer (or whatever his title is) that yells out all the news and gossip. The best parts are when there are advertisements in the news. Funny stuff.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Strabo on Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:52 am

This episode solidified my opinion of Simon Woods' acting as Octavian. He was barely adequate in his confrontation with Antony.

Think about the scene where Antony beat Pirkis' Octavian. It was obvious that, other than the obvious physical differences, that Antony was no match for Pirkis' Octavian. Sure, he could beat him physically...but he wouldn't be able to beat him mentally.

Think about all the other times we saw Pirkis' Octavian reason his way through a conflict or situation. The conversation with Pullo and Vorenus about the Eagle in the first episode (directly referenced by focusing on the Eagle when Pullo meets Woods' Octavian for the first time). Think about the conversation with Atia and Antony in the second season premier, where Pirkis' Octavian convinces them that they need to stay in Rome. Consider how determined and insightful Pirkis' Octavian was. Woods' performance just doesn't even begin to compare.

Prior to the confrontation with Antony at the end of the last episode, Woods' Octavian did nothing...he just sat there listening to his advisors and then selecting the most middling course of action possible. He never once took charge and laid out a plan like Pirkis' Octavian did. I'm not sure if the writers forgot how to write the character, or if it's bad acting. Oh, the writing is another thing. I know that, historically, Augustus had a reputation as being a sadist. Pirkis' Octavian didn't particularly strike me as having those kinds of convictions. The writers needed to put something in to show Octavian changing from the incredibly intelligent and incisive kid to the warped adult. They failed to do so. Octavian's character arc this season seems to have gone from dynamic and trenchant to oblivious, indecisive, and venal, with nothing to really explain why.

Meh. I still really like the show. It's still better than 99% of the rest of the crap out there. I just don't think Season Two is going to be as good as Season One with the poor characterization and miscasting of Octavian and the over-reliance on the second-tier ahistorical characters.
Strabo
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

PreviousNext

Return to Coaxial