Favourite new Fall TV Show

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Favourite new Show

Bones
No votes
Invasion
17%
Supernatural
33%
Surface
No votes
Other (Please specify)
50%

Total votes : 12

Favourite new Fall TV Show

Postby John-Locke on Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:21 pm

I've given up on Bones already, Invasion is getting there but the burn is a little too slow for me so far, Supernatural is a bit formulaic but as a seasoned Horror fan I can't stay away from a monster of the week show with a budget that big, it's pretty fun (last nights episode hasn't turned up online yet for some reason? that sucks) and Surface could do with some more money for FX but I really like the premise, I hope this one pays off the most.

How's about you?
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Adam Balm on Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:23 pm

Rome is the only new one I'm still watching.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby John-Locke on Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:26 pm

Yeah but Rome isn't a Fall Show, the others are all Sci-Fi or suposed thrillers (Bones)

Rome is far better than any of these but it's in a different ballpark & technically doesn't qualify. Weeds was left off for the same reason.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby RogueScribner on Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:26 pm

Prison Break is a really good show. Of course, I don't know how good it'll be once they break out of prison, but for now, I'm having fun.

Bones had a horrible pilot, but each successive episode has been better than the last. It has the potential to become a good show.

Kitchen Confidential is an okay way of decompressing after watching Arrested Development.

The War at Home is pretty mediocre.

Weeds is okay. I stopped watching it, though.

I think that accounts for all the new shows I've seen.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby John-Locke on Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:29 pm

Shit there is always one I forget about, I'm just about to watch the latest episode of Prison Break too, I'm having fun with it so far.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby MasterWhedon on Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:29 pm

Prison Break is stupid fun. Problem is, it's equally cool and awful. Did anyone see the last episode where the son "fights" with the mom's boyfriend? Probably the worst writing, acting and directing I've seen on TV in a good decade.

My Name is Earl is pretty cool. Lee is great.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:31 pm

For me it's MY NAME IS EARL.

ROME is aiight. it needs more cowbell. and by cowbell i mean 1) more pagan blood orgies / vomitoriums and generalized decadence; 2) more violent, wasteful, psychotic imperialist wars; and 3) more executions and torture...

basically i want CALIGULA: The Series. so far it's decent, it just needs more depravity...
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby DennisMM on Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:39 pm

None. I gave "Supernatural" two episodes and when it was coming on last night my wife reminded me. I said I'd pass, because I don't need to watch any more TV than I currently do.

The one episode of "Prison Break" I saw was fun (the lockdown) but beyond ludicrous for a show pretending not to be a soap opera. Removing those tats is gonna hurt. And, as Rogue said, what happens when they manage to break out of prison? Is this going to be a full season process, followed by a second season with them outside? Or a whole new cast, like "Murder One"?

"Threshold" got one week. I passed completely on "Invasion" and dumped "Surface" with the first commercial break. I'd check out "My Name is Earl," but my wife vetoes she and it being in the same room, and I already send her away for "BSG" and "Smallville."
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby burlivesleftnut on Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:55 pm

My Name is Earl and Prison Break. Prison Break as a fantastic experiment in sustained suspense. My Name is Earl is fun... sentimentality somehow wrapped in a blanket of cynicism. Very interesting.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby athenabodicea on Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:57 pm

I chose Supernatural... I'm telling you if I could have found a school, I would have become a cryptozoologist...
I love ghosts, vampires, zombies, aliens, and all things unexplained...

But I am also enjoying Earl & the whole karmic retribution thing...
ImageImageImage
athenabodicea
GEEK GODDESS

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:00 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote: My Name is Earl is fun... sentimentality somehow wrapped in a blanket of cynicism. Very interesting.

indeed! the american version of THE OFFICE is the same sort of thing -- cynical sentiment. (and both are great, although the bbc THE OFFICE is much better). nice observation...
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:02 pm

athenabodicea wrote:But I am also enjoying Earl & the whole karmic retribution thing...

my favorite line so far has been:

"Carson Daly? What is he some kind of spiritual leader?"

IPAMPILASH!
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:05 pm

athenabodicea wrote:I chose Supernatural... I'm telling you if I could have found a school, I would have become a cryptozoologist...

so is SUPERNATURAL pretty cool? BUFFY/ANGEL cool? or more XFILESy cool?
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby ONeillSG1 on Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:12 pm

I'll second the nod to "My Name is Earl".

I love the relationship between Earl and the Crabman.

That is so pricelessly funny, that I made up a word just to describe it. "Pricelessly."

:)
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby John-Locke on Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:19 pm

ONeillSG1 wrote:I'll second the nod to "My Name is Earl".

I love the relationship between Earl and the Crabman.

That is so pricelessly funny, that I made up a word just to describe it. "Pricelessly."

:)

I was thinking about mentioning this, you were more eloquant than I would have been anyway.

Okay I left a few shows off, shame on me. My name is Earl is good but it's just too nice no matter how nasty they try to make it.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby athenabodicea on Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:26 pm

ZombieZoneSolutions wrote:
athenabodicea wrote:I chose Supernatural... I'm telling you if I could have found a school, I would have become a cryptozoologist...

so is SUPERNATURAL pretty cool? BUFFY/ANGEL cool? or more XFILESy cool?

I chose Supernatural...I loved the xfiles.... Not a big Buffy fan although I did watch a little Ange... I used to like Charmed but not so much anymore...... And I'm giving Medium another try (but havent decided how I feel about it yet)
ImageImageImage
athenabodicea
GEEK GODDESS

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:35 pm

athenabodicea wrote:And I'm giving Medium another try (but havent decided how I feel about it yet)

yeah, i tried to watch that too. didn't care for it too much. the Dead Zone thingee is cool, but her life is too perfect middle class soccer mom. you know what i mean?

i think having those kinds of powers would more or less make it impossible for a person to form healthy relationships. most likely, the psychic would tend to be reclusive... IMHO...

she should have an intense look... pale, dark eyes... the eyes of someone who has Seen Too Much... again, IMHO...
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby athenabodicea on Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:17 pm

ZombieZoneSolutions wrote:
athenabodicea wrote:And I'm giving Medium another try (but havent decided how I feel about it yet)

yeah, i tried to watch that too. didn't care for it too much. the Dead Zone thingee is cool, but her life is too perfect middle class soccer mom. you know what i mean?

i think having those kinds of powers would more or less make it impossible for a person to form healthy relationships. most likely, the psychic would tend to be reclusive... IMHO...

she should have an intense look... pale, dark eyes... the eyes of someone who has Seen Too Much... again, IMHO...

Oh yeah.. I used to watch the Dead Zone but haven't had the chance lately... I also watch Survivor, Amazing race and CSI...
But I really did enjoy Dead Zone... I also like the 4400.... But always seem to miss it...
You're right about medium and Patricia Arquette not really being able to have a normal relationship... You can seee that the relationship with her husband is dwindling... I'm not sure how much more neglect he will endure,, I'm guessing not much longer, though he acts as if he is understandind I'm sure there will be a breaking point... And you don't see herspending much time with the kids...
Another show I used to love was Scare Tactics... Heard of it??? I don't think they are making any new episodes....
ImageImageImage
athenabodicea
GEEK GODDESS

Postby Agent Alonzo on Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:04 am

What about King Kong?
alonzo..... my apologies you ho-bag! - banthafodderUK

...that was the funniest post I've ever read at AICN. Comedy gold. I'm stealing it and shooting it in nothing other than a static two-shot. - Kevin Smith
Agent Alonzo
UMAGAA OMBONGO

Postby burlivesleftnut on Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:56 am

HAHA
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby DennisMM on Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:33 pm

I may try "Supernatural" again in a few weeks. It's not like the story will have gone anywhere.

One thing I do like about "Supernatural" is that it has no opening credits sequence. They explain the show with a short bit, then the story begins and the credits move along with it, like the typical movie.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:58 pm

DennisMM wrote:The one episode of "Prison Break" I saw was fun (the lockdown) but beyond ludicrous for a show pretending not to be a soap opera. Removing those tats is gonna hurt. And, as Rogue said, what happens when they manage to break out of prison? Is this going to be a full season process, followed by a second season with them outside? Or a whole new cast, like "Murder One"?

There was a piece in Entertainment Weekly when the show first premiered and a network exec said their plan is to have all of Season One be the breakout, with Season Two following some of the characters as they go off around the world. Sounds HORRIBLE, you ask me.

My girlfriend suggested they change the title to Pison Broke for Season Two.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby burlivesleftnut on Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:45 pm

Actually word on the street is the cons will BE on the street by mid season. So WHAH.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby bluebottle on Thu Oct 06, 2005 6:58 pm

Nothing this year has been able to hold my attention...

I'm ok with Earl, tho... It's not fantastic.

I just started watching the first season of Veronica Mars, tho... Man, that show kicks ass.

I can see why so man Buffy fans love it.
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:19 pm

I just ordered that on DVD
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby bluebottle on Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:22 pm

have you seen it? or are you buying it blind (either way it's worth it).

My question is: Is it like Buffy in that the storyline is resolved in the one season, and they move on to another big bad in the next? or is the whole murder of her friend thing ongoing?
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:26 pm

Never seen it. My partner decided to start watching the second season, so I got him the first to catch up. So I don't have the answers you are looking for.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:30 pm

Bluebottle wrote:have you seen it? or are you buying it blind (either way it's worth it).

My question is: Is it like Buffy in that the storyline is resolved in the one season, and they move on to another big bad in the next? or is the whole murder of her friend thing ongoing?

I've only seen one episode of VM, which I liked quite a bit, but I'm told that it does run like Buffy with a season-long mystery to help frame the incidental episodes.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby lyra belacqua on Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:47 pm

Bluebottle wrote:have you seen it? or are you buying it blind (either way it's worth it).

Big bad every season. I'm all about the Veronica Mars. Just ask and I'll tell you how good it is, what the best episodes are, who my favorite characters are, my favorite lines, the best twists, how I just might like VM better than Buffy. No, really, it's that good.
lyra belacqua
GEEK GODDESS

Postby John-Locke on Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:54 pm

VM is fantastic, when they have a fight scene it's almost like Scorsese on occasions, some of the Mystery of the week episodes are too predictable but overall I love the show, way better than Buffy, but I never liked that phalus nosed ho bag SMG anyway.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Flumm on Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:57 pm

OK, from the earnest elequence of Lyra, to "phalus nosed ho bag SMG"... why aren't t more sentences like this in my daily life? Am I not hanging around people with enough verbal dexterity/deviant minds/ SMG hate in their blood?!
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby lyra belacqua on Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:00 pm

Flumm wrote:OK, from the earnest elequence of Lyra, to "phalus nosed ho bag SMG"... why aren't t more sentences like this in my daily life? Am I not hanging around people with enough verbal dexterity/deviant minds/ SMG hate in their blood?!
I'm going with number 1. The verbal dexterity alone is the reason I come here. :wink:
lyra belacqua
GEEK GODDESS

Postby Flumm on Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:02 pm

Hehhe. Yeah it is quite... *tries to be verbally dexterous in some way*..... cool ....huh?
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby athenabodicea on Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:53 pm

I never liked Buffy.. Someone convince me to watch VM.....
ImageImageImage
athenabodicea
GEEK GODDESS

Return to Coaxial