Time for Phantom Zone TV?

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Time for Phantom Zone TV?

Postby Agent Alonzo on Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:13 pm

NEW YORK (AP) -- The state of network television on Saturday nights has become so dire that ABC has essentially put a prime-time slot up for auction to anyone who has a compelling idea -- as long as it's done very cheaply.

ABC has put the word out to Hollywood producers that a Saturday night home is available to a program that can be made for no more than $500,000 an episode, which is about a quarter of what the traditional comedy or drama costs.

"Because it's Saturday night, they're willing to try things that they wouldn't try at midweek," said Jeff Bader, ABC's head of scheduling.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/TV/10/1 ... index.html
alonzo..... my apologies you ho-bag! - banthafodderUK

...that was the funniest post I've ever read at AICN. Comedy gold. I'm stealing it and shooting it in nothing other than a static two-shot. - Kevin Smith
Agent Alonzo
UMAGAA OMBONGO

Postby TonyWilson on Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:17 pm

$500,000, thats £300,000. Blimey most britich TV is made for half that. I say we come up with a sitcom and shoot in the UK.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby Agent Alonzo on Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:18 pm

I am guessing by episode they mean hour long, not half-hour, but I could be wrong...
I say we go old school variety show...

...that was the funniest post I've ever read at AICN. Comedy gold. I'm stealing it and shooting it in nothing other than a static two-shot. - Kevin Smith
Agent Alonzo
UMAGAA OMBONGO

Postby Adam Balm on Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:25 pm

Burl? Got a rich sugar daddy?
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Agent Alonzo on Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:25 pm

Is that an offer or a question?

Agent Alonzo
UMAGAA OMBONGO

Postby Adam Balm on Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:26 pm

A proposition.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TonyWilson on Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:28 pm

Hourlong with unsigned bands a little chat and some sketches. Hmm I smell fame fortune and money, then bevvies of hat beauties and endless hollywood soirees followed by seedy New York loft parties and the inenvitable exorable cocaine and crack addiction. A few publicised scuffles with the law and a long stay in rehab, then writing a book all about it and kicking back on the proceeds and after dinner speeches.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Re: Time for Phantom Zone TV?

Postby athenabodicea on Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:59 pm

Agent Alonzo wrote:
NEW YORK (AP) -- The state of network television on Saturday nights has become so dire that ABC has essentially put a prime-time slot up for auction to anyone who has a compelling idea -- as long as it's done very cheaply.

ABC has put the word out to Hollywood producers that a Saturday night home is available to a program that can be made for no more than $500,000 an episode, which is about a quarter of what the traditional comedy or drama costs.

"Because it's Saturday night, they're willing to try things that they wouldn't try at midweek," said Jeff Bader, ABC's head of scheduling.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/TV/10/1 ... index.html

Oh we're cheap all right... We already do this for free... lol
ImageImageImage
athenabodicea
GEEK GODDESS

Postby DennisMM on Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:00 pm

I imagine a multiple-host format, rotating with a couple of presenters up front and perhaps a couple of other members having a quick chat with a band after the song. So, which of us, except me, must be kept off the air? For decency's sake, I mean? After all, shot in the UK but aired in the much more tight-assed USA. Does Alozo get to say "ho-bag"?
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Return to Coaxial