Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip (SPOILERS!!!)

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip (SPOILERS!!!)

Postby docfalken on Tue Oct 25, 2005 3:10 pm

Bill Simmons (the Sports Guy) talks about what he thought of the new Aaron Sorkin spec script for Studio 7.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/blog/index?name=simmons

"After yesterday's "SNL" mini-rant, coincidentally, I received a copy of Aaron Sorkin's spec script, "Studio 7" -- his secret project that caused near-chaos in Hollywood when he suddenly started shopping it a few weeks ago. Everyone loved it, everyone said great things, and after reading it ... I couldn't agree more. It's already my new favorite show even though they haven't started casting it yet -- like "Larry Sanders," only if it was about "SNL." In a viciously clever way, Sorkin's pilot script pretty much obliterates SNL and everything that happened to the show over the past few years, as well as TV networks and the post-Janet Jackson/FCC Era in general. It's a masterpiece. It's perfect. I can't say enough about it. When this show debuts next year (or whenever), it will be impossible to take SNL seriously anymore. I'm telling you."
docfalken
HAGGIS?!?!!?!!?!

Postby Adam Balm on Tue Oct 25, 2005 3:15 pm

I want this to be good. But at the same time, I wanted Sorkin to return to wrap up West Wing..
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby so sorry on Tue Oct 25, 2005 3:16 pm

how can i possibly pay attention to anything you write with that movie playing in your avatar????
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby so sorry on Tue Oct 25, 2005 3:20 pm

Regarding SNL quote: "It's almost like they're saying, "Hey, people are gonna watch, regardless, so screw it."

if that isn't a truism i don't know what is...
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby MasterWhedon on Tue Oct 25, 2005 3:32 pm

If they televised Aaron Sorkin taking a shit, I'd watch because it would be the smartest, funiest, most earnest shit ever. West Wing is finally doing okay without him, but it's just not anywhere near the level of brilliance it once was. Cannot wait for this show.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Man-in-the-Box on Tue Oct 25, 2005 3:41 pm

The biggest problem with SNL is the noticeable lack of Cowbell. The show has always had it's good and bad seasons. I hope it returns to it's former glory. Although, I haven't watched it in quite some time, I hope they give me a reason to watch again.
I'm not with Cowbell, he's with me.
Man-in-the-Box
AIRWOLF

Postby docfalken on Tue Oct 25, 2005 4:20 pm

I'd only pay to watch Sorkin take a shit if he is doing a line off a hooker's chest at the same time. But I'm a snob that way.
docfalken
HAGGIS?!?!!?!!?!

Postby MasterWhedon on Tue Oct 25, 2005 4:30 pm

If that hooker's got a cowbell, they've hooked you, me and Man-in-the-Box, Doc.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Adam Balm on Tue Oct 25, 2005 4:30 pm

I gotta disagree about the current West Wing. It's humorless, predictable, and saccarine and it's too painful to watch anymore.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MasterWhedon on Tue Oct 25, 2005 4:38 pm

Adam Balm wrote:I gotta disagree about the current West Wing. It's humorless, predictable, and saccarine and it's too painful to watch anymore.

Yes, true, though I only find it painful to watch when I think back to what it was. Three standouts this season:

1) Donna's scene where she tries to get a job from Josh. It hurt. Lots. I say she'll be one of the folks he hires on.

2) The INSANE campaign montage that started the episode three weeks back or so, over "Jet Airliner" by Steve Miller. One of the best sequences I've ever seen on television.

3) Toby's dismissal. It's been building to this for a while. Sure, we could've read it in the cards and the episode itself didn't give us too much in the way of variety, but it was nice to see it pulled off with such command.

It's a good show. It used to be a great one.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Tue Oct 25, 2005 4:39 pm

Iffa you go back anna watch a the first season, you gonna realize she was a like that alla the time, eh?
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby MasterWhedon on Tue Oct 25, 2005 4:42 pm

Dino, just because you died three times during the first season, don't take it out on the show.

"Mr. Willis of Ohio" is one of my all-time favorite hours of TV.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Adam Balm on Tue Oct 25, 2005 4:46 pm

Two Cathedrals is probably on of the greatest hours of tv ever.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MasterWhedon on Tue Oct 25, 2005 4:50 pm

Adam Balm wrote:Two Cathedrals is probably on of the greatest hours of tv ever.

True dat.

Although, it was Season Two. Still, fuck the Dino!
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Tue Oct 25, 2005 4:56 pm

Maybe you putzes are right, eh? They lost me onna the first episode when they were alla like "POTUS is hurt! POTUS fell offa the bike! POTUS POTUS POTUS!!!"

I just canna stand a the dialog anna they way they deliver it, eh?
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby Adam Balm on Tue Oct 25, 2005 4:59 pm

Yeah, it's odd. For the same criticisms I throw on Whedon (the 'cutesy dialog'), Aaron Sorkin is a far worse offender. Yet I dig Sorkin and not so much Whedon anymore. Makes very little sense.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MasterWhedon on Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:05 pm

Thing about it is, for as often as guys like Whedon and Sorkin resort to "cutesy" dialogue, there are at least ten, twenty other moments with sharp, incisive dialogue and true wit. You can tell when other folks are being "witty." Those two just ARE.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Adam Balm on Sun Nov 20, 2005 12:01 am

Herc reviews the pilot script for Studio 7 and declares that he hasn't felt a love like this since last Valentine's Day when he carved Joss Whedon's name into his chest with a rusty nail.

(seriously, Herc's okay. I keed.)
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sun Nov 20, 2005 10:40 am

There is a big difference between Whedon's cutesy dialog and Sorkin's, guys. Whedon's dialog allows the characters to be individual, but Sorkin's does not. If you think about it everyone delivers their lines (except for Bartlet) in the exact same way. That rapid fire, staccato bullshit got on my nerves after the first season. Listening to the characters talk reminds me of a story I heard from a writer on Charlie's Angels. Writers for that show would write an entire episode without putting names to the dialog. Names would only be added after the script was finished. See the characters had no personality of their own, so it didn't matter who said what.

I know that sounds like a harsh slam of Sorkin, and it probably is BUT I do admit he is one of the better writers out there. I have the same problem with David Mamet, actually. Great cool dialog, but everyone delivers it in the same way and it becomes monotonous after a spell.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Adam Balm on Sun Nov 20, 2005 2:09 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:There is a big difference between Whedon's cutesy dialog and Sorkin's, guys. Whedon's dialog allows the characters to be individual, but Sorkin's does not.

Not true, everyone individually sounds like Aaron Sorkin.

Get your facts straight next time.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sun Nov 20, 2005 5:06 pm

HAHAHAHAHA
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Pudie on Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:26 pm

I can't wait for this. I never really got into the West Wing, but Sports Night was absolutly brilliant and I can't wait to see him go back to comedy.
Pudie
MAN IN SUIT

Postby StrandedinManhattan on Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:12 pm

I can't wait for it either, and I'm still one of the few fans of SNL. Yeah, it's not that good...but I'm loyal, and it's still rather interesting. This season actually shows real promise, because all the featured players are becoming better than the regular cast, and it's showing -- they're getting more and more skits. (Bill Hader is the standout.) If they're the future of SNL, I say, hurry up and fire the regular cast, except for Amy Poehler and Seth Meyers.
http://www.strandedinmanhattan.com
just a quaint lil' website
StrandedinManhattan
GLIB

Postby Pudie on Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:14 pm

SNL really does need to clean house.
Pudie
MAN IN SUIT

Postby The Dude on Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:08 pm

Sports Night and The West Wing (the Sorkin years) are two of my favorite tv shows of all time (add Freaks and Geeks to that list), so Studio 7 can't get here fast enough.

Whatever happened to the Sorkin/Schlamme feature film about Philo Fansworth that was supposed to be happening?
The Dude
GLIB

Postby MasterWhedon on Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:37 pm

Thought I'd bump this thread up with a LINK to Herc's article that MATTHEW FUCKING PERRY IS JOINING THE CAST!!

This is beautiful, beautiful news. I loved Perry on Friends (most especially the first four seasons), and I thought his Joe Qunicy on the West Wing should've been made a regular. I like this pairing a great deal.

Can't wait for this show.

EDIT: BTW, if you're reading the TalkBack at all, Anchorite's a douche.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Fievel on Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:51 pm

I'd rather reply to this than the talkback.

Someone there metioned being more excited about Steven Weber and I have to agree. Those Wings male actors were all great and need to find their niche outside the show like Shaloub did. Matthew Perry has the most draw out of the Friends guys. I still think of Matt LeBlanc as Kelly Bundy's boyfriend. But both LeBlanc and Schwimmer will have to work really hard to drop their Friends image... although Schwimmer was good in Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Hopefully the rest of this new show's cast will be great and the show itself will rock.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Brocktune on Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:56 pm

PARNELL IS GOD!

and so is keenan thompson
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MasterWhedon on Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:56 pm

I like Steven Webber too. Remember how great he was in The Shining TV movie from '97-, '98-ish? He feels like a natural fit for a Sorkin character.

Hopefully they'll also get Brad Whitford and Josh Malina over there now that West Wing is ending.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Adam Balm on Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:57 pm

Anybody remember that West Wing sketch they did on SNL a few years back?
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MasterWhedon on Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:02 pm

Nope. Care to act it out?
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Adam Balm on Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:06 pm

Nope.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:38 pm

I suspect that "Anchorite" is Tonay. He just writes like him. The actual anchorite doesn't have a capital "a" in his name, so unless he's got two different almost indentical usernames, I doubt it's him.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Seppuku on Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:19 pm

I actually added Tonay to MSN ages back. The dude's a bit hyper, but he's a nice guy. He comes from the same place in England as Tony Wilson, Derby.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Ribbons on Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:45 pm

I can't figure out Tonay. He's seemed nice in encounters previous, but it's like ever since he got banned from AICN the first time he's been determined to raise hell. I've never been there, but according to his neighbor in Derby, he has a website that he uses to brag about his "exploits" in trolling.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Seppuku on Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:49 pm

Yeah it's not really a website, just another Forum like this. He's like the Village Idiot there, always the butt of every joke. I guess that's why he comes to AICN to troll in the first place, to needle-out the angst at everyone always mocking him.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Seppuku on Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:18 am

--edited---
This completely slipped my mind until I started scanning the Matt Perry talkback.
Last edited by Seppuku on Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Agent Alonzo on Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:16 am

seppukudkurosawa wrote:I've got a confession to make. I was talking to Tonay a couple months back about his trolling ways. He said that he was finding it hard to put a new spin on it, I mean there's only so much you can do with names like "BuffyLovey" and "SereneMan". I suggested, kinda jokingly, that he should take names of well known talkbackers and change them a little. Something like The Ginger Twat. It was a bit of a joke, but I guess he took it seriously. So if you see any imitation names I guess you know who it is.

This completely slipped my mind until I started scanning the Matt Perry talkback.

B0n3d...

Er, I eman

B4ANN3D

Seriously, great work there... :x
alonzo..... my apologies you ho-bag! - banthafodderUK

...that was the funniest post I've ever read at AICN. Comedy gold. I'm stealing it and shooting it in nothing other than a static two-shot. - Kevin Smith
Agent Alonzo
UMAGAA OMBONGO

Postby Tonay on Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:21 am

If it wasn't for Seppu I wouldn't even be on AICN, after I was banned the first few times and grew bored, he asked me why I wasn't on the forums anymore and urged me to register.

In some ways, HE is more guilty of a crime than I am. I can't help being a sociopath but it is Seppu who wanted to unleash my fury onto the net.
Tonay
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:06 pm

Thought I'd update this thread with the new title and point out Herc's story from a few days ago HERE.

We now have Matthew Perry, Amanda Peet, Steven Webber, D.L. Hughley, Nathan Cordry (of The Daily Show fame), and Whedon-fave Carlos Jacott in the cast, among others.

This looks primed to be the best new show of next year.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Starks on Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:06 pm

Another cast update!

Bradley Whitford has signed on to play lead character Danny Tripp according to Variety and The Hollywood Reporter. The character was previously reffered to as Danny Moore.

Also officially joining the cast is Sarah Paulson as Harriet Hayes.
Starks
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby MasterWhedon on Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:08 pm

Starks wrote:Another cast update!

Bradley Whitford has signed on to play lead character Danny Tripp according to Variety and The Hollywood Reporter. The character was previously reffered to as Danny Moore.

Also officially joining the cast is Sarah Paulson as Harriet Hayes.

God bless Aaron Sorkin. God bless that man.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Barefoot Doctor on Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:28 am

According to a reliable source who was an extra at the yesterday's shoot for the pilot, Judd Hirsch of Taxi fame is playing Wes Mendell.
Barefoot Doctor
GLIB

Postby freak2thec0re on Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:30 am

i have a copy of the pilot script in pdf format. It's a little less than 2mb

anyone know a place I could upload to share with the rest of you all ? ?
"Serves you right, Cartman, you're a sell-out!"
"I'M NOT A SELL-OUT! Wait- What's a sell-out?"
"Anyone in the entertainment business who makes money, is a sell-out"
freak2thec0re
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Pops Freshenmeyer on Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:58 am

Any thoughts on the title change? Not sure why they changed it but it seems that it's not much of change. Studio Seven - Studio Sixty. I guess the 2nd word of the title is still a two syllable word that's a number, starting with the letter S so it sounds nice coming after "studio." Wasn't there another sunset strip show on a long time ago?
Pops Freshenmeyer
REAL DRAGON

Postby freak2thec0re on Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:17 am

I'd guess some sort of weird marketing thing? Those people get all into the subconcious differences in little things like that. In the "School Of Rock" dvd, there's a part in the making-of where they talk about how the studio was constantly changing the title between "School Of Rock" and "The School Of Rock", and having meetings over it and everything. Pretty weird.
"Serves you right, Cartman, you're a sell-out!"
"I'M NOT A SELL-OUT! Wait- What's a sell-out?"
"Anyone in the entertainment business who makes money, is a sell-out"
freak2thec0re
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Barefoot Doctor on Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:29 pm

According to IMDB, in 2004 there was some gameshow called 'Studio 7'. That could be why they changed the title.
Barefoot Doctor
GLIB

Postby Barefoot Doctor on Mon May 15, 2006 12:08 pm

Anybody catch the promo for 'Studio 60' during the series finale of TWW last night? Looked great.

Also, it's been confirmed that Studio 60 will air Thursdays at 9 (sandwiched between Earl, The Office and ER).
Barefoot Doctor
GLIB

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Mon May 15, 2006 2:41 pm

Barefoot Doctor wrote:Anybody catch the promo for 'Studio 60' during the series finale of TWW last night? Looked great.

Also, it's been confirmed that Studio 60 will air Thursdays at 9 (sandwiched between Earl, The Office and ER).

I did. Great cast...so happy to see Brad Whitford will still be on television following the WW, and even better that Sorkin will be writing for him again. Matthew Perry is in his element on a televised comedy and showed more emotional depth during his cameos on the West Wing than he was ever allowed to show on Friends. Amanda Peet is a solid veteran, same with DL Hughley and Steven Weber. I've always been a SNL-ophile, particularly in the stories behind the scenes (if you've never read "Live, From New York" it's an interesting read). I have high hopes. I just hope people don't get it confused with NBC's other "behind-the-scenes of a television show" show, 30 Rock.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby MasterWhedon on Mon May 15, 2006 2:45 pm

A friend of mine, a fellow Sorkin fan, has seen the pilot and she said it's really, really great. You just immediately want to know where these characters go next.

Can't wait.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Next

Return to Coaxial