Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip (SPOILERS!!!)

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:27 pm

I found the episode really enjoyable. Funny in the right places, cute and fuzzy levels were fine. The doctors appointment stuff at the beginning was great.

Q: Are there only black musicians in New Orleans?
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:31 am

braniac wrote:Okay, anyone tear up a bit at the tribute to New Orleans with the band playing "O Holy Night"...anyone?.... just me?

That arrangement and performance was fucking amazing. Period.
According to the Tipitina's Foundation website (via NBC's Studio 60 site) it will be available on iTunes for FREE soon.... which I found to be a little bit of a letdown. I would have actually preferred to have paid a couple of dollars for it knowing that it would have gone straight to the Foundation.
Oh well, at least a great performance will be made available to all.

Zamfir - I don't remember Tom being Dumbledore at all. Was he? Regardless, the interaction between him and Simon regarding Lucy and the "Let's debunk Christmas" aspect were a bit of a (overkill) buzzkill on an otherwise awesome episode.

And I loved how Matt's kiss COMPLETELY flustered Harriet.

Go Danny.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Fievel on Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:37 am

Fried Gold wrote:Q: Are there only black musicians in New Orleans?

They represent a strong majority.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:48 am

Fievel wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:Q: Are there only black musicians in New Orleans?

They represent a strong majority.

Fair enough then.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby NudeAndAroused on Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:34 pm

Please, could someone please explain why this show is popular with critics? I think it is slow and really boring.
NudeAndAroused
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Fievel on Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:26 am

NudeAndAroused wrote:Please, could someone please explain why this show is popular with critics? I think it is slow and really boring.

Relax.
Put some clothes on.

It's a well-written and well-acted show that is only getting better.
But then, that's merely the opinion of a drunken mouse.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Ribbons on Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:28 am

Fievel wrote:But then, that's merely the opinion of a drunken mouse.

Now as a mouse, how little would you say you have to drink to become intoxicated...?
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Fievel on Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:33 am

Hell.. I just sniff the cap and I'm ready to do karaoke!
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby MasterWhedon on Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:04 pm

Check out MadTV's pretty brilliant parody of Studio 60 HERE.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Fievel on Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:30 pm

An MP3 of O Holy Night is available at NBC's Studio 60 Website.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Fievel on Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:51 am

If Danny Tripp becomes some sort of pathetic stalker then this show is done. Those repeated phone calls during their Christmas break were very uncomfortable. Jordan's obnoxious ringtone didn't help matters much.
I loved the board room scene. They need more stuff like that.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby brainiac on Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:34 am

Another good scene was the 4 way Chinese discussion with everyone pushing their own agenda.

I'm worried about getting too invested in these characters just to get the rug pulled out from under me by cancellation. :cry:
Who watches the Watchmen?
brainiac
REAL DRAGON

Postby Yack Backer on Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:02 am

Fievel wrote:If Danny Tripp becomes some sort of pathetic stalker then this show is done. Those repeated phone calls during their Christmas break were very uncomfortable. Jordan's obnoxious ringtone didn't help matters much.

I spoke to a female friend of mine about this episode last night and she told me Danny creeped her out. Hopefully Hiro will tell Danny next week "Lose the female viewers, Lose your renewal" and that will push Danny to back off. Somehow, I doubt it...
Yack Backer
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby so sorry on Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:47 pm

This fucking show is pissing me off!

If you go back a few pages ago, you will see a post by me stating that this show bores me and I will stop watching it.

Well, I tuned in last night and fuck me if I didn't get suckered into watching the whole thing!

Things I liked ALOT:
Steven Weber is the main reason why I may keep tuning into this show. The board room scene was electric (kudos to Ed Asner too), followed by his cellphone smackdown of Amanda Peet and his Japanese 'man-to-man' shit.

The Simon Styles/Darious hallway throwdown. I thought it was going to come to blows.

The Amanda Peet apology to the new VP-girl (sidebar: New Girl=butterface?)

The REALLY uncomfortable confrontation between Peet and Danny Tripp...

Things I hated ALOT:
The Amanda Peet vs. new VP-Girl rat-tat-tat-tat verbal battle: I know this may be a Sorkin-ism, but it just went WAY to fast to be believable (I can't imaging how many takes it took for those two girls to get that right). nobody thinks-then-speaks that fast.

Matthew Perry's bidding war over Harriot. I'm still having trouble getting over "He's Chandler" thing.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Ribbons on Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:51 pm

Yack Backer wrote:
Fievel wrote:If Danny Tripp becomes some sort of pathetic stalker then this show is done. Those repeated phone calls during their Christmas break were very uncomfortable. Jordan's obnoxious ringtone didn't help matters much.

I spoke to a female friend of mine about this episode last night and she told me Danny creeped her out. Hopefully Hiro will tell Danny next week "Lose the female viewers, Lose your renewal" and that will push Danny to back off. Somehow, I doubt it...

I loved his speech to her at the end of the Christmas episode. "You better get a good head start, Jordan, because I'm coming for you. Now finish your sandwich." As Television Without Pity said, SCARIEST DECLARATION OF LOVE EVER!
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Fievel on Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:24 pm

Ribbons wrote:I loved his speech to her at the end of the Christmas episode. "You better get a good head start, Jordan, because I'm coming for you. Now finish your sandwich." As Television Without Pity said, SCARIEST DECLARATION OF LOVE EVER!

In the Christmas episode, it was cute.
Now it's just creepy.

And I'm still absolutely loving Mark McKinney in such a subdued role.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Yack Backer on Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:45 pm

Fievel wrote:
Ribbons wrote:And I'm still absolutely loving Mark McKinney in such a subdued role.

Why is it the supporting characters are so much more interesting? I've already tired of the boys chasing their respective tails. Lucy, Darius, heck even the chunky guy from those Capital One commercials fascinates. We need a full-fledged "Lower Decks" episode a la TNG about these characters, showing how they see the show from their perspective.
Yack Backer
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby The Ginger Man on Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:07 pm

I've just lost interest in the main cast of this show. In fact, I've lost interest with the "studio 60" part of the show. The behind-the-scenes Network stuff is far more intriguing...especially with Jack and the old guy. But I just can't care about the S60 crowd anymore...they're not likeable, they've barely developed, and their schtickt has gotten old. If they could shift focus to the network and make S60 a subplot, I'd be pretty damn happy.
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Postby brainiac on Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:17 pm

Dolphin Girl was funny. The laugh out loud moment in the show.
Who watches the Watchmen?
brainiac
REAL DRAGON

Postby Ribbons on Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:45 pm

Yack Backer wrote:Why is it the supporting characters are so much more interesting? I've already tired of the boys chasing their respective tails. Lucy, Darius, heck even the chunky guy from those Capital One commercials fascinates. We need a full-fledged "Lower Decks" episode a la TNG about these characters, showing how they see the show from their perspective.

Seconded; the Jordan-Danny romance seems perfunctory as it is.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby so sorry on Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:13 am

Cell phone rant #2:
Jordan/Danny's cell phones don't work ON THE FUCKING ROOF!!!!!

they work INSIDE the building amongst all the interfierance, but up on a roof, no signal.

YARRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Fievel on Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:15 pm

I'm glad to see that Stalker Danny didn't happen.
Juliard Girl & Tom is just uncomfortable to watch. I'm glad Jack is nearby, but it doesn't completely help.
Next week looks like it'll be messy.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:32 pm

This week was cliche after cliche after cliche!

Jordan/Danny - ROOF you got to be kidding and calling attention to it doesnt make it ironic!

Tom/Lucy - Tell the truth tom. Your boss asked you to do something and you cant say no. It IS that simple.

Cal and the snake - I actually found this one enjoyable but it is a cliche.

Masi Oka was the best thing in the episode HANDS DOWN
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby so sorry on Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:41 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:This week was cliche after cliche after cliche!

Jordan/Danny - ROOF you got to be kidding and calling attention to it doesnt make it ironic!

Tom/Lucy - Tell the truth tom. Your boss asked you to do something and you cant say no. It IS that simple.

Cal and the snake - I actually found this one enjoyable but it is a cliche.

Masi Oka was the best thing in the episode HANDS DOWN

seriously, that was the worst/contrived story. "I can't make it thrusday night because the PRESIDENT OF THE FUCKING COMPANY "asked" me to do him a favor.
Is that so hard?
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby so sorry on Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:44 pm

Fievel wrote:I'm glad to see that Stalker Danny didn't happen.
Juliard Girl & Tom is just uncomfortable to watch. I'm glad Jack is nearby, but it doesn't completely help.
Next week looks like it'll be messy.

Speaking of uncomfortable to watch, the Dl Hugley/Darious story line is harsh. all those uncle Tom jokes were severe. So he didn't want to be pigeon-holed as the black-sketch-guy, is that so bad?
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby RaulMonkey on Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:06 pm

I agree, the whole situation is very contrived. As soon as they went out on the roof, I KNEW they were going to be locked up there. There was an attempt to defuse the clichédness of the situation with Danny's self-referential joke, "the good news is this is a crucial scene in any romantic comedy," but it didn't take.

I thought last week's episode was the shit though. I'm really digging the Tom and Lucy relationship; and the stuff with Wilson White and the board, and then Jack's quest to engage Zhang Tao, was magnificent. That stuff didn't carry through with enough momentum this week, but hopefully it'll keep blossoming.

Aaron, if you're reading this, I bitch because I love.

Edit--replacing the "é" in clichédness, post-phpbb3.
Last edited by RaulMonkey on Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:59 pm

Good episode. I really love this show. I wasn't sure how much it would stick on me, but I tend to look forward to this more than Heroes.

Love the Jordan/Danny stuff. The stuff with Matt was harsh. I love the snake stuff too.

Can't wait for next weeks "When Harry met Matty". Should be great.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:42 am

Leckomaniac wrote: The stuff with Matt was harsh.

Yeah, the way he ended up botching the intro was painful.

So the show is getting shelved for a bit. I'm guessing that this is a one-season show for sure now, which sucks. I love the writing. I love the dialogue. I also think that there are too many untouched aspects of this show that will never get developed. Maybe that's the biggest problem with this show - there's too much ground to cover at any given moment. I think the show would be 1,000 times better if we never saw another rehearsal or performance of the show inside of itself. Everything else is much more interesting. I'd love it even more if they'd integrate each week's guest host/band into the episode like The Larry Sanders Show on HBO used to. Remember how they had David Duchovney always hitting on Gary Shandling? HILARIOUS! They could have a ton of fun with utilzing that aspect of the show (real celebrities) if they wanted to. But they won't.

Sigh.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Iconoclastica on Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:10 am

Fievel wrote:So the show is getting shelved for a bit.

Really?! :-( . . . where's the news on this? link?

I am Jack's broken heart
Iconoclastica
DEADLY ZONETTE

Postby Fievel on Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:36 am

Iconoclastica wrote:
Fievel wrote:So the show is getting shelved for a bit.

Really?! :-( . . . where's the news on this? link?

The first link that turned up when I Googled the News.

There was a nod to this news in the Coaxial article reviewing tonight's episode on the main site (without any news about it). That's where I first heard it. There's probably a better article somewhere.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby instant_karma on Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:46 am

I like this show and am sorry that it looks like it is gonna get cancelled.

One gripe I have about Sorkin's writing is that he doesn't seem to like having any of his major characters be in conflict with each other for too long. The Simon/Darius conflict only lasted what, 3 episodes?

It's almost as if he thinks of all the characters as his friends and doesn't like it when they don't all get on. Same thing happened a lot with West Wing.

Oh, and I also found Matt blowing the joke hard to watch, but only because I thought it was obvious and over performed.
instant_karma
Comes in 4 exciting flavours

Postby silentbobafett on Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:33 am

Love this show! If its going to be a one season show - which it will be, sadly - then Aaron Sorkin needs to prove himself by doing one thing: Ending it properly.

Its obvious to all this will be cancelled now. The head of NBC liked the show to extended it... but I take that as a chance to end it properly and not dump it in the middle.

So I'm hoping that Sorkin and Co realise this and start to wrap everything up so when it ends... we're happy! :-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby MasterWhedon on Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:13 pm

I've really, really enjoyed every bit of this show since it came back from break. The first half of the year was a little shaky, with the show often failing to meet everyone's way high expectations (including mine), but it's finally settled into its stride. I genuinely care about Matt and Harriet now, and all of those cast members I thought had potential in the pilot are finally getting their time to shine. Cal is my hero.

I heard The Black Donnelys is taking over the spot for a bit (Haggis!), but I'm confident they'll air the final Studio 60 episodes... and that it'll get a Season Two. It'll have to work hard to get anything past that, but I think it's turning out a modest enough profit that they can justify its existence. The true barometer will come at the Emmys. If the show gets no love, it's checkmate.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby The Ginger Man on Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:37 pm

I care more about Matt and Harriet now that they're "ending it." I like Danny, but don't care much about him and Jordan. But I don't feel like I'm watching a show about a show. It feels like any other drama, at this point. And, for me, alot of Sorkin's strings are visible in his writing. It feels scripted, not natural like SN and WW did. I still watch and enjoy every week...but I wouldn't miss it if it was gone.

That being said, Harriet's line from last week is still stuck in my head and is quite chilling.

"We are going to be finished tonight. Don't be scared."

There was so much truth, love, and understanding in that one line....gives me goose bumps.
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Postby Fievel on Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:56 pm

I love the show when "The Show" isn't the highlight. I like the fact that sketches were important, but we never heard a word of them.
Tobolowski!!!! (now THAT is a battle cry!)
Mark McKinney, again a limited role but pure gold when he was there. "I don't like anything or anyone, but if you ever need to talk...."

Matt's pill-popping could be an annoying (dead horse in these types of shows) story - I wonder if he'll go to the same rehab that Matthew Perry did in real life? I'm sure he'll find solace in his ex-cokehead friend Danny (who looks younger every episode).
BUT.. I did like the overall storyline - how Matt looked back at himself as an imaginary person.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby The Ginger Man on Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:11 pm

Really dug last night's episode. With Harriet finally moving away from him, Matt is now facing real obstacles. None of this "Will he write the sketch in time?" bullshit. He's in a downward spiral! Good! With Matt on the ropes, maybe the writer's room will finally get re-staffed.

I want Matt's life to get dark and dirty. I want him and Harriet to be REALLY over.

What would be great is this. Matt's depression and drug use begin to drastically affect Studio 60. Mark McKinney quietly carries Matt's work (and has the writer's room unknowingly help). The actors are always on edge, never knowing when Matt's drug-fueled eyes will fall on their sketches, cutting them. And then when things get too bad, Jordan is tasked with firing Matt...forcing Danny to chose between the woman and show he loves or his best friend.

That would drive the show in a very interesting direction.
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:41 am

Very outstanding episode. At the start...the pill popping was very annoying as someone already stated. However, but that final shot...the story had impacted me so much I had totally gotten over it. I was really surprised at how much it effected me when that final scene occured. The writers did a great job of making Matt a character we care about. Solid stuff.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby instant_karma on Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:18 am

So, was last week the final episode?
instant_karma

Postby John-Locke on Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:38 am

It's on hiatus.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby instant_karma on Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:51 am

Balls!

Well, that's really gonna help it to grow an audience.

Fools!!!
instant_karma

Postby burlivesleftnut on Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:02 am

It was losing audience members week in week out. Say bye bye.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Fawst on Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:38 am

Thank god we have The Black Donelley's to look forward to!
Prince of the Land of Stench!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DanielSan on Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:00 pm

My girlfriend and I were diehard fans of this show - right up until the whole Danny / Jordan bullshit started. Danny went from a respectable, cool, aloof character to an out of control psycho stalker, to a total pussy for Jordan.

The whole thing was so out of left field and so unbelieveable. When Jordan left him that STUPID note (for God's sake, she left him a NOTE) that said "I'm crazy about you," we both screamed at the TV "No no no NO!!"

If the show gets canceled, you can point to that specific pairing as the final nail in the coffin. A stupid, stupid, stupid plot.
DanielSan
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby silentbobafett on Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:30 am

Danielsan... I feel so different to what you mentioned!

Not only did I think it was completely obvious that they were going to get together from the get go (rewatch it, as I have,a nd see all thier first lokks at each other - the body language etc) and as for the note... well I guess its different strokes and all that... but I'm always a sucker for simple romantic stuff like that!

I loved it and was fucking glad they got together.

But I will add this, and it may go someway towards how you feel. I just felt that they DID hurry their relationship up, and I thoguht it might be cos they realised that the show was going to be cancelled, or in serious chance of it, and as it had built a fanbase just gave a little pay off to certain story lines. If were ever get to see the remaning episodes, I think that will back it up. Or completely dispell it...!!!!

Either way , I love it! :-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby silentbobafett on Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:32 am

Oh yeah - came on for an update!

Anyone know whats happening to this show? Will it EVER come back on air?

:-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:37 am

They are finishing filming the final 4 episodes and plan to air them, but as for a second season =/.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby silentbobafett on Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:53 am

Sadly, I suspected as much! :-(
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby burlivesleftnut on Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:01 am

I agree with Danielsan. The romance ruined the show for me. I don't even care if it comes back.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Fawst on Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:35 am

I miss this show, too :(
Prince of the Land of Stench!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ONeillSG1 on Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:46 am

Where's a good "It's dead, Jim" picture when we need it.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

PreviousNext

Return to Coaxial