GREY'S ANATOMY

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

GREY'S ANATOMY

Postby docfalken on Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:39 am

Since this show is getting no love in the Talkbacks, I figured I'd spend some timing discussing my love for the program.

What a great episode tonight. While they didn't give us the E.R. "A Miracle Happens Here" ending tonight, I will say that they did have me and the Mrs tearing up. Great performances as always.

Even though the show follows the powerhouse "Desperate Housewives", I am continually impressed with the amount of smiles the show is able to produce in an hour. (Man, that reads really g@y)

I'm just glad that Alex got his mojo back. He needs to stay a dick as long as he can. No redemption!!

And Dr. Addison Shepard is absolutely perfect. Wow. I don't want to like her either.
docfalken
HAGGIS?!?!!?!!?!

Postby wonkabar on Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:41 am

That's the one with the chick from Sidways right?
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby Adam Balm on Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:43 am

Damn, I thought this was a requiem for Spalding Gray.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby bluebottle on Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:46 am

it was MURDER!
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby wonkabar on Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:03 am

Sorry, I'm way up into Vampire-Bats right now.
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby MasterWhedon on Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:11 am

Doc, I'm right there with you on this one. I got into Grey's because of my girlfriend, but hot damn if I don't love me this show. I'd say it's probably the most consistently engaging hour-long on TV this side of Lost. Great cast, writing, direction... It's just damn fine TV, and this season in particular has been stellar.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby docfalken on Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:36 am

And it is a great show to ogle hot young women in their prime, while still being able to sit with the Mrs. and get away with it. Now if they could just work a convention trip to Vegas (and the swimming pools ... ahem) into the storyline.

The characters and their plots seemed to develop quickly for us. Very much like those first few years of E.R. or even Northern Exposure (without the existentialism).

I really like how the show isn't being crammed down our throats like the Wysteria Lane gals.
docfalken
HAGGIS?!?!!?!!?!

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:43 am

I've heard great things about this show. I guess I'm going to have to break down and check it out.

Speaking of good shows that aren't getting the love. My current guilty pleasure is Veronica Mars. Interesting stories, pretty cast, particularly Kristen Bell. Damn is she hot in this show (she's 25 in real life, so I don't feel too dirty saying that). It's kinda the O.C. with a large helping of mystery and a dash of Buffy the Vampire Slayer (strong woman; smart writing). I'm not generally into the teeny bopper soap operas, but this show is just enough more that I am starting to become addicted.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby darthevilbob on Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:11 am

Is it me or is Anatomy not unlike Scrubs? only a slightly more straighter version?

This description of course reaches great height's like saying "alias is like james bond but with a chick", "Maguyver is like A-Team without Mr T, Hannibal, Face and Murduch?" and "the prequel trilogy is like the Original trilogy but.".. nah i wont say it..
darthevilbob
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby burlivesleftnut on Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:32 pm

Grey's Anatomy Thread

LOL WTF?!!1/11
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby docfalken on Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:43 pm

Not like Scrubs to me really. Though their location and occupations are more or less the same.

I think that Anatomy really works hard to build out these characters for us. Every episode seems like character development concentrate.
docfalken
HAGGIS?!?!!?!!?!

Postby MasterWhedon on Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:58 pm

docfalken wrote:I think that Anatomy really works hard to build out these characters for us. Every episode seems like character development concentrate.

Yeah, and they work hard at making their cases have some metaphorical significance for the characters. Sure, this is done all the time on ER and others, but it feels natural here. They've created a dozen characters you really care for, who grow and change in a consistent manner from episode to episode. That ain't easy to do.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Ribbons on Mon Oct 31, 2005 6:08 pm

I like the music that plays over the opening credits. Killer soundtrack, actually. I watched this show a couple of times and liked it a lot more than I thought I would, but I don't really get the chance to watch it as much as I'd like to. Don't know what's been going on with the characters since last season, but I love the casting.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Ribbons on Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:19 am

Anybody watch tonight? I finally caught an episode for this season and me likey. Serious plotlines without being overly soapbox-y, good characters, ...killer soundtrack. Good stuff all around.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby MasterWhedon on Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:29 pm

Anyone watch the post-Superbowl episode last night? Code Black indeed.

Nice, gripping stuff. Loved how the music created a really ominous vibe from the beginning.

And wasn't it cool to see Bruce Baxter as an EMT?
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Pudie on Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:51 pm

Watched it last night, firsttime watching. It was pretty ok. Nothing special though. Although I did like their reaction to Baily being back. And the "Im horny and half naked!" line.
Pudie
MAN IN SUIT

Postby jgraphix on Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:52 pm

The screaming lady was hillarious....I would've punched her square in the kisser.
"If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?"
jgraphix
AIRWOLF

Postby Pudie on Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:53 pm

jgraphix wrote:The screaming lady was hillarious....I would've punched her square in the kisser.

That was great!

And then she starting crying. Untill his buddy showed up.

That chick was awesome. Totally forgot about her.
Pudie
MAN IN SUIT

Postby jgraphix on Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:56 pm

I was waiting for Christina Ricci to explode the whole time...that would have made the show much better...then they could have just played off of it for the rest of the season...perhaps killing off a main character at the finale.
"If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?"
jgraphix
AIRWOLF

Postby MasterWhedon on Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:57 pm

I wanted the thing to explode too. I know it won't, of course, but it'd be such a nice Arzt-like shocker.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby jgraphix on Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:00 pm

Indeed
jgraphix
AIRWOLF

Postby Pudie on Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:16 pm

It seems like they over sold the power of it though. It could probably blow up some of the floor, but not the whole wing.
Pudie
MAN IN SUIT

Postby MasterWhedon on Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:19 pm

The thing of it is, didn't we see Meredith with Derek at the beginning of the episode, in the OR? She was crying and really stressed.

I assume that moment takes place AFTER the Code Black stuff, so there's no threat of her dying.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby docfalken on Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:34 pm

No way any of the cast members die in this faux cliffhanger. I was kinda grumpy at the show because it seemed a little too far fetched. I know that was a signature of ER for years (anything can happen in the hospital), but the idea that a couple of WWII hobbyists created a bazooka seems just too much for my fragile mind to buy into. Couldn't it be a terrorist? Is that too dangerous to talk about in Seattle?
docfalken
HAGGIS?!?!!?!!?!

Postby MasterWhedon on Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:05 pm

Last night's episode was fucking brilliant, an absolutely perfect second part to a great two-parter. Whatever silly "stunt" complaints we may have had with the post-Superbowl part one were handled so beautifully by pulling them back and rooting them in the small moments between characters. The scene where George talks to a crying Dr. Bailey at her bedside was possibly the single greatest scene on television this season.

Meredith's conflicting emotions with Kyle Chandler's Bomb Guy were handled beautifully, and that MASSIVE fucking explosion was so great and so startling. Seeing Meredith get blown back and smack her head on the ground was very well done. And all of the stuff with her and McDreamy--even Dream McDreamy--hit every note perfectly.

This was the best episode yet for a brilliant, brilliant show.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby athenabodicea on Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:13 pm

OMG!!!! That episode was fanfuckingtastic... I only recently started watching this show but I absolutely love it.... Last night's episode was really insightful for me in getting to know the characters a little better (since I haven't been watching from the beginning)... And OMG when Meredith walked out into the hallway & the bomb blew the pink mist everywhere I was speachless.... I think the concept of the story which was reiterated at the end was really something to think about. What would you do if you knew you only had one day to live? Who would you spend your last day with and what would you do???
ImageImageImage
athenabodicea
GEEK GODDESS

Postby MasterWhedon on Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:20 pm

There are times when I get really sick of Meredith and her McDreamy crush, but there are other times when they just absolutely nail it and I feel myself genuinely moved.

The same is true with all the characters. Sometimes it's a little pretictable that George is SUCH the nice guy, but then he goes and does what he did for Dr. Bailey and I remember why I want to BE George O'Malley.

Occasionally the cases, diseases, etc. they face can be a little Hollywood-ized, but they always find a way to root them in the characters, and I think that makes for incredibly compelling television.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby truthorlies on Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:28 pm

I watched my first episode of this show last week after the Super Bowl, and I have to say that I was completely sucked in. Last night's episode was amazing. Even though I predicted that explosion as Meredith was walking toward the door, it still completely startled me when it happened. I thought she was imagining it at first.

I have to agree that the scene between Dr. O'Malley and Dr. Bailey was truly wonderful television. I will definitely be watching this show from now on. After getting so hooked on Lost, I didn't think any other show would be able to captivate me the same way, but this show has accomplished that feat in a short amount of time.
truthorlies
GLIB

Postby tfactor on Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:15 am

hi, I'm johnny come lately and you are?

SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

OK Seriously WOW! I had a very slight feeling that once Meredith handed over the bomb it might blow, and then she started walking toward the door and I was like ow shit here it comes, but then her face changed and the soft music came on and I thought oh ok it's not going to ... BOOM - pink mist

Suffice it to say little has shocked me or ripped my attention like that scene, and yes I'm hooked but holly crap that will be a tough one to out do.

On a considerate note, shouldn't there be a HUGE spoiler alert on this thread? I mean we all just gave away the biggest surprise ending on TV in a while, should we not warn those who have not watched this show yet?

Seriously if I had read this thread before watching that episode, I would have been fucking furious. My heart jumped at that ending and I don't think TV has done that for me in a very long time, so mods (or doc) little help?
tfactor
KING SMARMY

Postby MasterWhedon on Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:19 pm

Just watched this week's episode...

GEORGE IS GETTING SOME MEREDITH BOOTY!!

She's obviously using him and nothing good will come of it, but FUCK YEAH, GEORGE!!

Another stellar episode. More great character progression.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby The Ginger Man on Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:44 pm

finally caught an episode of this last night (was dragged by the lady friend) and damn, I liked it! That shit is on the tevo from here on out.
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Postby The Ginger Man on Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:46 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:Just watched this week's episode...

GEORGE IS GETTING SOME MEREDITH BOOTY!!

She's obviously using him and nothing good will come of it, but FUCK YEAH, GEORGE!!

Another stellar episode. More great character progression.

Dude, totally! I don't even know this George guy yet, but damn I feel bad for the boy. I can't wait to see how it pans out, b/c that is some serious soap opera type happenings that will hopefully make George more dramatic than pathetic. But yeah!
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Postby tfactor on Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:47 pm

I DVRed it myself and haven't had a chance to watch it yet. But I shall return once I do....
tfactor
KING SMARMY

Postby MasterWhedon on Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:54 pm

The Ginger Man wrote:finally caught an episode of this last night (was dragged by the lady friend) and damn, I liked it! That shit is on the tevo from here on out.

We've got another one!!

Serisouly though, as much as folks paint Grey's to be a "chick show", it's probably the best show on TV, behind only Lost and BSG. The writing and direction are always top notch, and the character work is really nuanced.

Welcome aboard, Ginger.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Iconoclastica on Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:57 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:Serisouly though, as much as folks paint Grey's to be a "chick show", it's probably the best show on TV, behind only Lost and BSG. The writing and direction are always top notch, and the character work is really nuanced.

I definitely agree, MW. The drama is appropriate - not ridiculously unrealistic like on ER, but also with that little bit of soap opera charm that makes it amusingly escapist while remaining believable (to a point).

Even the medicine is more bearable to watch than a lot of the other medical shows out there - while some of the cases they see are outlandish, they at least admit to that. All of these shows are horribly inaccurate, but with Grey's (much like Scrubs), I (and most of the people in the field that I talk to) really don't mind as much.

I am Jack's broken heart
Iconoclastica
DEADLY ZONETTE

Postby tfactor on Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:47 am

ok so jwe ust caught up on the past two weeks worth of shows and while there was no additional pink mist I was very pleased. Well except when Meredith went all psycho on George ... mid-sex no less. Seriously wtf is wrong with that girl? "are you almost finished? *tears*" then the freakshow comes alive. The bitch can roll a bomb down a hallway, while her hand is inside the chest of a living human but she can't fake a little love for georgey boy? Fuck her in her anorexic ass. So what now george gets this dugeons and dragons player looking chick and what everything is all better now?

This show has taken on what can only be described as a serious soap opera kind of aspect. And while this does allow for some very creative & interesting character development I think too much of it is a bad thing.

We got shepard having marital problems, and punching hunkababy in the face with his 2 million dollar hands. But meanwhile it's no secret he's still all hung up on twiggy mcfreakshow.

Anyway my point was too much of this "love story" stuff will kill the show not keep me watching. I love what the show portrays regarding life as an intern and the hospital itself and I think some of the events and patient stories have been absolutely top shelf. But as the same time Meredith Grey has become the least interesting part of the show, for me anyway. With the alexizzie love story being a close 2nd too least interesting story.

your thoughts?
tfactor
KING SMARMY

Postby MasterWhedon on Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:23 pm

tfactor wrote:ok so jwe ust caught up on the past two weeks worth of shows and while there was no additional pink mist I was very pleased. Well except when Meredith went all psycho on George ... mid-sex no less. Seriously wtf is wrong with that girl? "are you almost finished? *tears*" then the freakshow comes alive. The bitch can roll a bomb down a hallway, while her hand is inside the chest of a living human but she can't fake a little love for georgey boy? Fuck her in her anorexic ass. So what now george gets this dugeons and dragons player looking chick and what everything is all better now?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

That whole piece with them having sex was like a straight gut shot. I relate to George so well, and to see him get fucked over like that while he's doing the thing he's waited so long for--fuck that bitch, is all I say.

Anyway, I don't think the show is going to be getting rid of its soap operay-ness anytime soon. In fact, I think that's at the heart of the show. The intern stuff is really just the frame for them to work the relationship around, like demon-slaying was for Buffy.

We are getting continual progression with the characters though. The show doesn't stay in one place for too long. Sure, the Meredith-McDreamy thing has gone on for a bit, but there are steps taken every week, new puzzle pieces added. Regardless, George moving out is huge and I can't wait to see what the ramifications are.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby tfactor on Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:32 pm

finally! I've been waiting all day for someone to respond to my long winded post on this subject, and yes I understand that kinda makes me a total puss but whatever.

George moving out feels almost like him being distanced from the main hub of the show. I mean Grey's house is the only place other than the hospital that anything happens, so I almost think taking george out of there is a horrible idea because it really puts a distance between him and the other characters.

I don't suppose it's possible they will rename the show "O'Malley's Anatomy" eh? :shock:
tfactor
KING SMARMY

Postby MasterWhedon on Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:43 pm

They'll probably go with George staying with Christina and Burke for a few episodes, then he'll eventually get his own place. Then again, he could always mend things with Meredith and move back in, but I don't think it's likely.

As much as it might suck for George's screen time, it's right for the character. And I'm sure they'll find a way to make it work. Maybe they'll just follow him around with that hot new raven-haired doctor he met.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby tfactor on Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:06 pm

I think a better twist would be if he had a relationship with this new girl exactly like he had it with Meredith but reversed you know. She wants him badly and starts doing what George did for so many episodes (gropingly drooling over meredith) but george is of course clueless about it because he can't get meredith out of his mind. Either that or he's gonna sleep with Christina :shock: and of course all hell will break loose with Dr. Burke.

plus what about Dr. Webber & momma grey? Can't say I didn't see that one coming but that scene when he's talking to her about meredith and he's like "I think she knows" and momma grey's like "she's only 5 years old" because of the alzhiemer's. Wow what an interesting depiction of something so horrible.

On a side note: sadly I can't bring myself to delete that pink mist episode from my DVR and it will probably be there until season two comes out on dvd, and yes I know I've just lost all my geek cred, well what little I had to begin with anyway
tfactor
KING SMARMY

Postby MasterWhedon on Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:31 pm

tfactor wrote:I think a better twist would be if he had a relationship with this new girl exactly like he had it with Meredith but reversed you know. She wants him badly and starts doing what George did for so many episodes (gropingly drooling over meredith) but george is of course clueless about it because he can't get meredith out of his mind. Either that or he's gonna sleep with Christina :shock: and of course all hell will break loose with Dr. Burke.

That would be much fun, though I don't see the Christina thing happening. She has enough issues to work through with Burke.

tfactor wrote:plus what about Dr. Webber & momma grey? Can't say I didn't see that one coming but that scene when he's talking to her about meredith and he's like "I think she knows" and momma grey's like "she's only 5 years old" because of the alzhiemer's. Wow what an interesting depiction of something so horrible.

My guess is they'll save the big reveal of this for the Season Finale. It's not going to change too much between Meredith and her mother, but it'll shitf the dynamic some between her and the Chief.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby MasterWhedon on Tue May 16, 2006 12:28 pm

Holy sweet God in Heaven, did anyone else watch this last night?

Grey's might not be as pulse-pounding as Lost or BSG, but it is consistently the most emotionally-moving show I watch. Every week we get further progression of each character and his/her respective storylines. Things change. Things get messy. Things have to be cleaned up.

They built to this finale for a while, and it payed off in spades. Absolutely top-notch work.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby tfactor on Tue May 16, 2006 1:10 pm

haven't seen it yet, had to watch the completely anti-climactic ending of Survivor last night ... yawn!!!

But if its as good as you say I'm sure I'll be searching for this thread tomorrow to comment. My only problem of recent with the show has been how damn depressing some of the episodes have been, but I guess that was the calm before the "season finale" storm.

You've got me intrigued regardless

holly crap has it really been over two months since we've even posted on this thread? time does fly by doesn't it?
tfactor
KING SMARMY

Postby MasterWhedon on Tue May 16, 2006 1:33 pm

Tfactor, you should know that I cried during last night's episode as did my girlfriend, though they were at two different parts.

Watch the episode and I'll tell you which parts.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Iconoclastica on Tue May 16, 2006 3:26 pm

yeah it was definitely intense, to say the least . . .

[spoilerish] most importantly, my friends and I noticed that they have yet to discover exactly what happened to Meredith's underwear before the end of the episode . . . that look she was giving the dudes wasn't a "I'm so torn" . . . it was a "shit, I'm going commando in a sequin gown . . . whose car is less bumpy?" [/spoilerish]

Otherwise, damn moving storylines, even though the medicine can get mighty sketchy . . . I'm hooked for good

I am Jack's broken heart
Iconoclastica
DEADLY ZONETTE

Postby MasterWhedon on Tue May 16, 2006 3:40 pm

Iconoclastica wrote:[spoilerish] most importantly, my friends and I noticed that they have yet to discover exactly what happened to Meredith's underwear before the end of the episode . . . that look she was giving the dudes wasn't a "I'm so torn" . . . it was a "shit, I'm going commando in a sequin gown . . . whose car is less bumpy?" [/spoilerish]

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Girls are awesome...

Only thing I'm pissed about is that ABC is putting this up against Studio 60 in the fall. I doubt either will crap out, but it'll be a "Tivo one, watch it after" Thursday night all next year.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby tfactor on Thu May 18, 2006 8:11 pm

I just found this: 2am click "launch anna nalick's music player" once at this site

SPOILERS BELOW!!
This show is awesome and it really needs to get more love from this site. Few shows reach into something deeper and pull from you inner self something that it is good to experience on a regular basis in life. That scene with the dog I was a wreck because my whole life I've watched probably 15-20 dogs die or have to be put down and you get numb to it after a while but it always has that moment of heartache (the dogs leg kicking as if to say "no wait I don't want to die yet"). That moment of pain never goes away.

Denny dieing wasn't fair! but this is the lesson of life presented in a character on a tv show, that heart breaking reality that life isn't always fair. But Izzie leaving and quiting was the wrong choice driven purely by pain and raw emotion. But for this alone the depiction of the realities of life on this show are accurate in the least, most certainly entertaining and definately relateable and this show offers more than most shows on tv today in this regard.

Its up to ones self to find your driving force in life or as I've said in the past to "find and think of the things often that keep you smiling" I don't know of many shows that have that ability to remind your brain and your heart (which by default often forgets or takes for granted this simple truth) don't forget to "breathe, just breathe", while you beathe remember the things you have in life to be grateful for and think of them often and most important cherish those things above all others.

As far as Dr. Meredith Grey ... fuck that stick figure little slut, fuck her in her studly pursed lips. I hope she gets infested with fleas from hanging out at the vet.

Seriously though those panties will be coming back to haunt them both. Good call icon.
tfactor
KING SMARMY

Postby tfactor on Thu May 18, 2006 8:58 pm

for the fans of the show a perspective from the actors - video clips

not that anyone besides me and like two other people care... :roll:
tfactor
KING SMARMY

Postby Iconoclastica on Thu May 18, 2006 9:19 pm

dude - I'm all over it :-D

I am Jack's broken heart
Iconoclastica
DEADLY ZONETTE