Schmidt's Dumbledore without Van Halen!!

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Schmidt's Dumbledore without Van Halen!!

Postby docfalken on Sun Nov 06, 2005 1:01 am

I'm just watching SNL and their tribute to their commercials. Good stuff. However, the classic Sandler/Farley Schmidt's Dumbledore seems to have replaced their Van Halen "Beautiful Girls" song with some generic guitar riffs. It makes it an entirely different piece.

Man, Phil Hartman was great.
docfalken
HAGGIS?!?!!?!!?!

Re: Schmidt's my lover without Van Halen!!

Postby DennisMM on Sun Nov 06, 2005 1:15 am

docfalken wrote:I'm just watching SNL and their tribute to their commercials. Good stuff. However, the classic Sandler/Farley Schmidt's my lover seems to have replaced their Van Halen "Beautiful Girls" song with some generic guitar riffs. It makes it an entirely different piece.

They put in generic guitar? This is the compilation show from way too many years back? The one that skipped a ton of great ads from the early years?

It was still great. Especially the change bank.

Phil Hartman, in both my and Julia's opinions, may have been the most talented SNL performer ever. Others hit huge highs, but Hartman could do any fucking thing they asked and be funny doing it. In that he was a lot like Aykroyd, who started out as a complete chameleon but was forced into a handful of characters far too early.

Shit, I miss Phil Hartman.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Flumm on Sun Nov 06, 2005 1:25 am

We don't have SNL over here in the UK, so I only knew Phil Hartman through The Simpsons, and I truely had no idea he was even dead untill you guys mentioned it.

:shock: :( :shock:

Damnit, I didn't even notice the absense of Lionel Hutz, and Troy McClure from the later seasons of Simpsons. I'm such a lowly putz!!

I know they released various SNL DVDs a little while ago, I wonder did they do a Phil Hartman one?
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Sun Nov 06, 2005 1:28 am

I love the SNL commercials. Even when the show's uneven, their commercials almost always rock.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby DennisMM on Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:15 am

Flumm wrote:We don't have SNL over here in the UK, so I only knew Phil Hartman through The Simpsons, and I truely had no idea he was even dead untill you guys mentioned it.

:shock: :( :shock:

His marriage was in trouble by the end, largely because of his wife's instability, when everything fell apart.

IMDb: On May 28th, 1998, Phil was shot to death while sleeping in his Encino, California home by his wife, Brynn Hartman. He was shot three times: in the forearm, neck, and head. Brynn left the house and later came back with a friend to show him the dead body. When her friend went to call 911, Brynn locked herself in the bedroom with Phil's lifeless body and stuck a second gun in her mouth and shot herself. It was later discovered by the coroner that Brynn had alcohol, cocaine and the antidepressant, Zoloft, in her system. It was a deadly cocktail that cost her and Phil their lives, and left their two children, Sean Edward (b. 1989) and Birgen (b. 1992) without parents.

Flumm wrote:Damnit, I didn't even notice the absense of Lionel Hutz, and Troy McClure from the later seasons of Simpsons. I'm such a lowly putz!!

I know they released various SNL DVDs a little while ago, I wonder did they do a Phil Hartman one?

The Simpsons deliberately wrote out Hutz and McClure after Hartman's death, as they thought it would be dishonest and distatsteful to use other voice actors.

There is a Hartman DVD. It's based on a lovely tribute show SNL did not long after Hartman died, with some wonderful character work. You should rent it if you can.

Editorial Reviews
Amazon.com
Phil Hartman was one of the most versatile comedians of his time: whether he was playing the voice of Troy McClure on The Simpsons or portraying the pompous Bill McNeal on NewsRadio, his comedy was always fresh and outrageous. His breakthrough was as a cast member of the late-night program Saturday Night Live, where he satirized everything from politics (Bill Clinton, Admiral Stockdale--Ross Perot's misguided running mate--and Barbara Bush) to entertainment (Frank Sinatra and Phil Donahue), creating unforgettable characters along the way. This "best of" video captures his funniest SNL moments and includes the TV special Saturday Night Live Remembers Phil Hartman plus more. Among the highlights are the commercial Compulsion; Bill Clinton jogging to a fast-food joint (which, filmed long before the Lewinsky incident, seems surprisingly prescient as Clinton comments, "There's gonna be a whole bunch of things we don't tell Mrs. Clinton. Fast food is the least of our worries."); Discover the World of Science, where Hartman portrays an annoyingly daft TV host to Jon Lovitz's scientist; Barbara Bush hosting Nancy Reagan at tea in the White House; Cooking with the Anal Retentive Chef; and Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer. Brief snippets of Hartman in a variety of his roles show some classic moments without slowing down the pace of the collection. This video also features SNL cast members Dana Carvey, Jan Hook, Chris Rock, Chris Farley, Victoria Jackson, and more. Of all the Saturday Night Live retrospectives, this is one of the most consistently funny compilations and truly showcases the best of Phil Hartman. --Jenny Brown
Last edited by DennisMM on Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM

Postby DennisMM on Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:22 am

I learned as the show was starting that it was new, though why Will Ferrell was the host I can't imagine. He referred to "25 years" of SNL at the beginning, which confused me.

They showed a few of my favorites, including "Happy Fun Ball" and "Old Glory Robot Insurance." I wish they'd managed to get in the Cliff Robertson ad for the luxury car for crazy people and no ad show can really be complete without "Bass-o-matic."

It was fun. I managed to get most of it on tape.

doc, I think that may have been Van Halen, just Eddie on guitar. The chording and runs sounded a lot like Eddie, and my admittedly faulty memory doesn't recall lyrics in the original version of the ad.
DennisMM

Postby bluebottle on Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:30 am

i haven't seen the schmidts Dumbledore ad for a while, but i bet my life that they used the part with lyrics in the original version.

man, phil hartman was a genius. That cast was my first cast. I would stay home on saturday nights in high school to see the show.

There wasn't anything funnier than Jon Lovitz as Satan, Phil Hartman bursting into a scene as Charleton Heston or Dana Carvey making up a song about broccoli.
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:39 am

I didn't watch the whole episode, but the parts I did see were hilarious.

There was this one series of skits that I loved, although I don't know if they'd qualify as commercials, or if they'd even make the cut. But it was a series of political ads concerning a mayoral competition between Tim Meadows and Ben Stiller (maybe Will Ferrell?), I think. And the town in question was infested with mutated bats.

The thrust of one argument was "he created giant mutant bats" and the other was "don't switch fords midstream."

I always loved those for some reason. Does anybody know if they were on tonight?
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby WinslowLeach on Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:20 am

I also loved "Oops! I Crapped My Pants", the cookie dough thirst quencher commercial, the Piece of shit car with beautiful interior and Bad Idea Jeans. And Levi Three Legged Jeans: "A leg, A Leg and a leeeeg!"

There were so many funny sketches. Remember the Charlton Heston (Phil)/Al Goldstein (Danny DeVito) skit where they were doing the audiobook version of Madonnas SEX book? Fn hilarious.
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re: Schmidt's my lover without Van Halen!!

Postby vicious_bastard on Sun Nov 06, 2005 12:09 pm

docfalken wrote:I'm just watching SNL and their tribute to their commercials. Good stuff. However, the classic Sandler/Farley Schmidt's my lover seems to have replaced their Van Halen "Beautiful Girls" song with some generic guitar riffs. It makes it an entirely different piece.

He was AWESOME wasn't he. If only he had lived long enough to do Futurama. He and Farley are massively underappreciated - Farley especially. Both those SNL DVDs are great but I would still love it if SNL put their whole archive online or something. So many forgotten gems. I have a ton of MP3s of the show but audio-only stand-up definitely loses something with very physical comedians.

I have much love for SNL even as a limey. I don't see it much these days but it was responsible for a generation of comedians who have inspired me all my life. No such show exists over here.
vicious_bastard
AIRWOLF

Postby Flumm on Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:03 pm

Thanks for the information Dennis, I just wish I had known sooner.

It would be such a blessing if SNL put thier archive online. Broadly speaking, there is just so much culture in the world for anyone remotley geeky to invest in, and something like SNL being as influential as it has been, it's seems to me that it deserves a wider audience then the states. How can we not even be getting repeats over here?

I guess the DVDs are as good as we can get for now.
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Sun Nov 06, 2005 6:05 pm

Bluebottle wrote:i haven't seen the schmidts my lover ad for a while, but i bet my life that they used the part with lyrics in the original version.

On 42nd thought, Blue, I'm sure you and doc are correct. I remember Diamond Dave's wails. (Even the closed captions read, "Van Halen's 'Beautiful Girls.'") They may even appear in the first commercial special from the '90s. I wonder if there was an issue regarding rights and they simply lifted an Eddie sound-alike guitar bit from source music.

Ribbons wrote:There was this one series of skits that I loved, although I don't know if they'd qualify as commercials, or if they'd even make the cut. But it was a series of political ads concerning a mayoral competition between Tim Meadows and Ben Stiller (maybe Will Ferrell?), I think. And the town in question was infested with mutated bats.

The thrust of one argument was "he created giant mutant bats" and the other was "don't switch fords midstream."

I always loved those for some reason. Does anybody know if they were on tonight?

Sorry, Ribbons, that didn't make the cut. I think remember the bit running through the episode. They may have thought it was too complicated to run just one small segment.

Speaking of Tim Meadows, I'd have loved to see one of the ads with him and Tracy Meadows as the tough-talking street attorneys who turn out to have done highminded academic and interning work as young men. "I wasn't editor of the 'Harvard Law Review' fo' two years to not get you yo' damn money!"
DennisMM

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:05 am

Interesting tidbits about a the Phil Hartman, eh? He spoke a the fluent german, anna even a toured Germany back inna the day with a his a stand-uppa routine, no? He was titled "The Funniest Man inna the Germany" by a the German press... you have a not heard a his Jack Nicholsen impression unna 'til a you hear it inna German, eh?

Speaking of a his Jack impression, he even dubbed inna some of a the ADR work inna one of a Nicholson's movies... "Five Easy Pieces" I think it was, eh?
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby vicious_bastard on Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:35 pm

And Chinatown it seems. I had no idea about that - nor does anywhere else on the internet. I really have to track down some German Nicholson.
vicious_bastard
AIRWOLF

Postby so sorry on Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:39 pm

Did they show the 'Colon Blow' ad?

my alltime favorite fake ad was 'Happy Fun Ball', the super terrific kids ball made of an unknown substance found in a meteorite ("Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball...").
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby DennisMM on Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:05 pm

vicious_bastard wrote:And Chinatown it seems. I had no idea about that - nor does anywhere else on the internet. I really have to track down some German Nicholson.

I wouldn't trust that list; it credits Hartman as the voice of Apu on "The Simpsons." That role, and many others, have always been played by Hank Azaria.

So sorry, they showed both.
DennisMM

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:10 pm

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote: you have a not heard a his Jack Nicholsen impression unna 'til a you hear it inna German, eh?

You are one funny fucker agostino
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:20 pm

so sorry wrote:Did they show the 'Colon Blow' ad?

my alltime favorite fake ad was 'Happy Fun Ball', the super terrific kids ball made of an unknown substance found in a meteorite ("Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball...").

I thought I was the only one who remembered Happy Fun Ball...that was one of the funniest things I've ever seen.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby Brocktune on Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:25 pm

WinslowLeach wrote:Remember the Charlton Heston (Phil)/Al Goldstein (Danny DeVito) skit where they were doing the audiobook version of Madonnas SEX book? Fn hilarious.

hartmann (as heston): "couldn't i just say furburger"

devito goldstein: madonna, you are such a hoo-er

fuckin classic.

how about the time hartmann was on that sprockets dating game episode where he was dressed as one of those bier fraus with lipstick all over his face, and he said "and when you woke in the morning, you would have a size seven poop chute"

i right there with you Dennis, the world is a worse place without him.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:26 pm

Brocktune wrote:
WinslowLeach wrote:Remember the Charlton Heston (Phil)/Al Goldstein (Danny DeVito) skit where they were doing the audiobook version of Madonnas SEX book? Fn hilarious.

hartmann (as heston): "couldn't i just say furburger"

devito goldstein: madonna, you are such a hoo-er

fuckin classic.

how about the time hartmann was on that sprockets dating game episode where he was dressed as one of those bier fraus with lipstick all over his face, and he said "and when you woke in the morning, you would have a size seven poop chute"

i right there with you Dennis, the world is a worse place without him.

Julia loves Susan in the dating game sketch. Do you remember when Hartman and Garth Brooks played old French whores on the game show of that title? Brooks has (or had, at least) quite a sense of humor about himself. He didn't bat an eye.
DennisMM

Postby DennisMM on Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:30 pm

Happy Fun Ball is a legend. Let me present, from the Saturday Night Live FAQ: Commercial Parodies page -- "Happy Fun Ball"

(kids)
It's Happy!
It's Fun!
It's Happy Fun Ball!

(announcer)
Yes, it's Happy Fun Ball,
the toy sensation
that's sweeping the nation.
Only 14.95 at participating stores!

Get one Today

(background voice)
Warning: Pregnant women, the elderly, and children should avoid
prolonged exposure to Happy Fun Ball.

Caution: Happy Fun Ball may suddenly accelerate to dangerous speeds.

Happy Fun Ball contains a liquid core, which if exposed due to rupture
should not be touched, inhaled, or looked at.

Do not use Happy Fun Ball on concrete.

Discontinue use of Happy Fun Ball if any of the following occurs:

* Itching

* Vertigo

* Dizziness

* Tingling in extremities

* Loss of balance or coordination

* Slurred speech

* Temporary blindness

* Profuse Sweating

or

* Heart palpitations

If Happy Fun Ball begins to smoke, get away immediately. Seek shelter
and cover head.

Happy Fun Ball may stick to certain types of skin.

When not in use, Happy Fun Ball should be returned to its special container
and kept under refrigeration.

Failure to do so relieves the makers of Happy Fun Ball, Wacky Products
Incorporated, and its parent company, Global Chemical Unlimited, of
any and all liability.

Ingredients of Happy Fun Ball include an unknown glowing substance which
fell to Earth, presumably from outer space.

Happy Fun Ball has been shipped to our troops in Saudi Arabia and is
also being dropped by our warplanes on Iraq.

Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

Happy Fun Ball comes with a lifetime guarantee.

(announcer)
Happy Fun Ball! Accept no substitutes!
DennisMM

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:35 pm

speaking of Van Halen, i just saw a guy on the train the other day -- proudly and unironically sporting a mullet of mythic proportions -- with this huge "VH" tatoo on his forearm. it was considerably faded as if it were done in some bygone yesteryear when people thought Cameros were cool and Diamond Dave let us know that he wanted his MTV (as if that were a right under some kind of restriction).

i felt pity for this man...

what does this topsy turvey modern world mean to him? does he ever feel lost and lonely? does he ever wonder what happened to Jack and Diane? Those keg parties of yesteryear in the Members Only jacket? The girls with hair some 5 meters offa the top of their heads giving multiple hummers in various bathrooms staining the taffetta of her 6th prom gown that year? what does he do in the middle of the night? what was it like when the future he thought was so bright he had to wear shades came crashing down on his head?

what did he think of Van Hagar? did he weep? did he sigh? or did he just continue to rock on into the fading night of music people only listen to with irony?

a lost man... the mullet man... the man with a Van Halen tatoo on his forearm...

pray for him...
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby so sorry on Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:33 pm

Dennis, thatnks for the transcript for Happy Fun Ball!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby tfactor on Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:43 pm

yeah yeah I get it, the Happy Fun Ball is dangerous! yeah yeah may induce vomiting whatever ... now can I please have my Happy Fun Ball? Phil Hartman would have wanted it this way "soylent green, is made out of people IT'S PEEOOPPPPLLLLLEE!!!!!"
tfactor
KING SMARMY

Return to Coaxial