The X-Files

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Postby Fievel on Sun May 21, 2006 10:19 pm

Lady Sheridan wrote:That's pretty much the last line of X-Files as a whole.

Burn in hell, Chris Carter!!

Methinks that Chris Carter, George Lucas, and Lorne Michaels are sitting somewhere on an island with those drinks that have the little umbrellas as they make a toast to the eternal suckers known as humanity.
They create something so brilliant in its intent.... only to let it wither away through the passage of time and shitty writers/directors/actors.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Lady Sheridan on Mon May 22, 2006 2:12 am

Well, they'll get their come-uppance someday, that's all I know. Payback's a bitch!! :D
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby The Vicar on Mon May 22, 2006 1:19 pm

Its hard not to be bitter.
We got invested in the characters.
There were some truly great early episodes before Carter went stumbling down the conspiracy / mythology blind alley. We had to stand by helplessly as Scully & Mulder played endless games of Where's Waldo? The ill fated/ill advised Lone Gunman spinoff.
Thanks to the blessedness of DVD, we can relive the greatness of the evolving X Files, and mourn what it evolved into.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby BuckyO'harre on Mon May 22, 2006 4:48 pm

Maybe this will make some you feel better. If you haven't already seen it. This belongs in movie news,so maybe one of you would like to start a thread.

From scifi.com

"Frank Spotnitz, the mastermind behind much of the mythology of The X-Files, told SCI FI Wire that he has signed on to help write the next movie based on the hit series, but that the new movie won't deal with the show's byzantine conspiracy arc. "There's still a very good chance that we will all do another X-Files movie," Spotnitz said in an interview. Spotnitz was an executive producer on the show, which starred David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson; it ended its nine-year run in 2002.

One point of contention in getting a second X-Files film off the ground: Series creator Chris Carter is still wrangling with 20th Century Fox over legal matters. "David, Gillian and I, and even Chris Carter, all have deals in place, and once the legal issues are over with, we will go on with it," Spotnitz said. "I'm hoping it will get resolved soon."

Although the script isn't written, the idea is already developed, Spotnitz said. He added that Fox likes the idea, which hearkens back to the series' stand-alone episodes rather than the conspiracy to cover up the existence of extraterrestrials, which was the subject of the first X-Files movie.

"No, we're not going into the mythology [in the sequel]," Spotnitz said. "One of the things that was exciting about doing it is to not make it a mythology story, and it's like one of the stand-alone episodes. It's a bit scary. Of course, we will catch up with the characters and what is going on in their lives, but it's not about the alien conspiracy. It's not about that."
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

I could use some help...

Postby MattXFLexicon on Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:26 pm

To stay on topic, I won’t defend seasons eight and nine nor defend what Chris Carter allowed for, but all things considered, The X-Files was still, quality wise, a cut above other’s shows produced from the 99-02 era. Personally, I’m old school and prefer the first five seasons. It just became impossible for the writers to maintain the standards of the Vancouver years.

I was happy to see a discussion thread here about XF. I occasionally post and chime in at the Zone, in case anyone was wondering about my screen name, or if it crossed anyone’s mind that the screen name seemed a little much, ‘Another boastful film geek psycho’ then it should make sense in a moment, as much as this will be a little bit of a plug.

I’m the webmaster and creator of The X-Files Lexicon, a referenced based site that sort of wears many hats. We’ve been up for a year and a half. Hoping the Zone moderator will allow this.

http://www.x-fileslexicon.com/

I’m aware that there’s some pretty critical eyes at AICN Zone and I need some extra help.

The Lexicon needs to expand and I am recruiting people to help write the Episode Guides. I’m looking for volunteers with a real love of the show, who are good writers as well as enjoy writing, who either have the seasonal episodes on DVD’s or VHS, who are willing to help. Ideally, I’d like to find people who have been published on-line elsewhere or would even have a blog, writers with some quality. People with a cool attitude would be a real plus as well. We run a pretty friendly ship at the Lexicon.

Right now, we are almost through season one and will be moving into season two soon.

I am only looking right now for people to help with the Episode Guides, it can be a little daunting, I know, we can take it in steps, here’s a example of the format.

http://www.x-fileslexicon.com/ep1x01.html

I never set deadlines and you can help with as much as your willing to do so, this is all volunteer work and unpaid. The added plus of helping the Lexicon and being part of the staff is you could be rewarded with collectable promotional material. We have a couple of future interviews which might happen and we will always incorporate your questions into an interview. There are other benefits, the site keeps expanding, compared to the inactivity of other XF sites, The Lexicon is a fairly ambitious site and there’s a lot of promise in the horizon. We’re a pretty democratic place, everyone is always credited for their work and input.

If you’re interested, and I hope so, drop me a message.

matt@x-fileslexicon.com
MattXFLexicon
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:29 am

I own Season 3, so I planned a night for me and the 'lil lady around the comedic (i.e. Darin Morgan) penned episodes of that stellar season... Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose, War of the Coprophages, Jose Chung's From Outer Space.

Fucking classic, each one.

So when she tells me she feels an X-Files jag coming on, well, yay for me!

Focused at first on the funny episodes from other seasons...Small Potatoes (with a great bit by Morgan. Which then led to a brief segue of his two Millenium Season 2 corkers, Jose Chung's Doomsday Defense and Somehow, Satan Got Behind Me. Haven't gotten to Humbug yet, want to do all of Season 2 consecutively. But I digress.), The Unnatural (yeah, not "funny" per se, but a great episode regardless), Bad Blood. I guess I'll do Dreamland as well, but it's a two parter that spans two discs :cry:.

Anyway, I'm at a loss when it comes to seasons 7-9. Never watched them, so I don't know which, if any, episodes bring the funny.

Little help would be greatly appreciated...
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby silentbobafett on Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:21 am

X files rules!

Duchnovy's episodes later on, first story then writing and directing were some of the best!

Posthumous Promtheus (the BW Cher one) is genius

DARIN MORGAN is the best writer o the show and it is disgusting that Hollywood has never picked him up. He has done basiclly nout except for Millenium (thought first series lacked any story arc. NOW AS THAT ME BEING DUMB OR WAS THERE NONE?) and acting next to man god Mark Borchardt in Jet Li's THE ONE

Love:

Small Patatoes
Home
Jose Chungs
Humbug
All conspiraces

etc etc
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby MattXFLexicon on Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:48 pm

Not really certain this will interest anyone. But I just conducted my second interview for my site, The X-Files Lexicon, with actor Doug Hutchison, of season one's Eugene Victor Tooms fame.

If the name doesn't ring a bell, he also played the sadistic prison guard in Darabont's The Green Mile.

http://www.x-fileslexicon.com/hutchison.html

Last year, I managed an interview with Frank Spotnitz.

http://www.x-fileslexicon.com/spotnitz.html

I hope you don't mind this bit of shameless self promotion. Please give it a look.

:wink:
MattXFLexicon
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:13 am

MattXFLexicon wrote:actor Doug Hutchison, of season one's Eugene Victor Tooms fame.

If the name doesn't ring a bell, he also played the sadistic prison guard in Darabont's The Green Mile.

That a guy, he always a look a like his a tongue, she too big a for a his a mouth, no? It's a kind of a creepy, eh?
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby DennisMM on Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:32 am

My wife was co-founder of a Hutchison fan group, The Bile Brigade. Dissolved many years ago, but while it was running she got a very nice letter from Doug, who was flattered by the attention.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby MattXFLexicon on Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:41 am

Dennis, that's interesting to hear that. Anyway Doug seemed like a pretty cool, unassuming guy. I have some more high profile interviews I am working on for my site (hopefully), I don't want to shove this down people's throat, but I'll post futher notices of other interviews in the future if people are interested. Thanks for the comments, apppreciated.
MattXFLexicon
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:02 am

Did you get him to say "Eduard Delacroix", so you could use it as a ringtone?
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby sleepflower on Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:56 am

As with most of you, I loved the first few series, film was good too.

The whole conspiracy thing was great, apart from it got more and more vague, and you had to remember way too much stuff from earlier episodes, and being quite young at the time found it hard.

I wish they had wrapped up one or two things quicker, moved on to somthing else.

I really don't want to watch through 4 more seasons to get the ending of one storyline.

Actually, anyone know where I can look to read how it was wrapped up, or point out the episodes/series I need to watch most?
The Noblest Pleasure is The Joy of Understanding
sleepflower
AIRWOLF

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:01 am

sleepflower wrote:Actually, anyone know where I can look to read how it was wrapped up, or point out the episodes/series I need to watch most?

As a we like a to say onna here, "the Wikipedia, she is a your friend, no?"
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:50 am

sleepflower wrote:
Actually, anyone know where I can look to read how it was wrapped up?

It wasn't really wrapped up.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:52 am

sleepflower wrote:I really don't want to watch through 4 more seasons to get the ending of one storyline.

yeah, i feel the same way

*cough*Lost*cough*
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:49 am

I thought I would breath some new life into this thread considering that I am working my way through the entire X-Files run.

At the moment, I am towards the beginning of Season 4 and just got through the episode "Musings of a Smokey Thingie Smoking Man". What an incredible episode. I am not usually one to condone the "demystifying" of characters, but this episode really worked for me. I love how the CSM wrote that novel and wanted so desperately to get it published. His disappointment broke my heart. It really did.

I know this series takes an awful turn somewhere down the line...and that is just such a shame. Up until this point...this series operated at such an amazing level.

Once I am done running through the series I plan on compiling a list of my favorite episodes. Over the course of the next few months I plan on running through many of the recent "classic" TV Series (X-Files, Buffy, Angel, JLU, BSG...etc) and writing about them...best episodes, best writing, best characters, etc. Just something I want to do for fun. I am a huge fan of serialized storytelling.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:51 am

Yes... the way this show, she sputter inna'to a the last couple of a the seasons, holy crappa what a the shame, no?
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby Fawst on Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:46 pm

When it was released, the movie disappointed me. BIG time. I was always a fan of the mythology episodes, but I felt kind of betrayed. Even Mulder being the only one to see the spaceship made me mad. Like "Come ON, Scully, look in the fucking SKY, please?!" Oh well. I have the first two seasons on DVD from when they were first released. I'll have to go back and watch those again once I finish Alias (which will be soon, just finished the first episode of S5).

I remember hearing about a new X-Files movie and wished it would happen. Wonder how that's going. And shit, now I need to watch Millenium again, cuz that was good stuff too!
Prince of the Land of Stench!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Dashing Roger on Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:10 pm

Just when I thought I was out...

Keeping this thread going and bumped every once in a while is a great idea. I myself started watching the series on DVD and, with near superhuman stamina, made it through the end of Season 4 in like a week before I went flaccid and never advanced further. Many of the favorite eps already mentioned were mine as well - Clyde Bruckman, Humbug, Tooms (when Mulder and Scully share their first "shipper moment" in the car) - and reading your posts has gotten me excited for the series all over again. No, I mean, really - I am half-engorged right now just thinking about it. Problem is, I don't want to start with Season 5 without refreshing my recollection with the previous seasons. Which means I might run out of steam yet again. Maybe even earlier than the end of Season 4, I was a much younger man back then...

Incidentally, I enjoyed your website, MattXFLexicon. Keep up the good work.
Last edited by Dashing Roger on Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We can make a deal, Mister Bond. I'll get you a delicatessen, made out of stainless steel." - Ernst Stavro Blofeld
Dashing Roger
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:15 pm

Dashing Roger wrote:I am half-engorged right now just thinking about it.

The Dino, he's always been a the half-a-flaccid kind of a guy, eh?
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby Dashing Roger on Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:22 pm

That's not what I've heard, Dino. Not with a wife like you have, I'm sure you bring the full tentpole:

Dino and Martha

If not, well, popsicle sticks and rubber bands work well too. Uh, that's what I've heard anyway.
Last edited by Dashing Roger on Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We can make a deal, Mister Bond. I'll get you a delicatessen, made out of stainless steel." - Ernst Stavro Blofeld
Dashing Roger
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Coldfire24 on Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:24 pm

Man Dino. I love the beard. This is like the only time a beard has made someone look younger.
Coldfire24
AIRWOLF

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:45 pm

Dashing Roger wrote:Not with a wife like you have

Holy crappa, that's a my WIFE?!?!?
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby Dashing Roger on Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:06 pm

Dino's shopping list:

1. Milk
2. Eggs
3. Popsicle sticks
4. Rubberbands
5. Ginkgo Biloba pills (economy size container) to ward off late-onset alzheimer's

Regarding item # 5, how could you forget about your wife when she looks like that? Have you mistaken your Italian peasant maid for your wife again? Try to remember some easy associations:

WIFE = BLONDE (drapes, not carpet)
MAID = SMELLS LIKE LINDBERGER CHEESE
Dashing Roger
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:15 pm

Dashing Roger wrote:WIFE = BLONDE (drapes, not carpet)
MAID = SMELLS LIKE LINDBERGER CHEESE

Hold on, eh? I'm a writing this a down....
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:47 pm

Hey it looks like we might get that X-Files sequel after all.

I hope this goes forward. I miss classic X-Files.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re: The X-Files

Postby King Of Nowhere on Sun May 06, 2012 9:22 pm

Would anyone be up for a "zoner viewing" (w/chat and whatnot) of the first X-Files movie tomorrow night?
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby BuckyO'harre on Mon May 07, 2012 12:40 am

King Of Nowhere wrote:Would anyone be up for a "zoner viewing" (w/chat and whatnot) of the first X-Files movie tomorrow night?

Possibly, depending on the start time and chat arrangement.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby King Of Nowhere on Mon May 07, 2012 7:27 am

BuckyO'harre wrote:
King Of Nowhere wrote:Would anyone be up for a "zoner viewing" (w/chat and whatnot) of the first X-Files movie tomorrow night?

Possibly, depending on the start time and chat arrangement.

Midnight GMT (or some time shortly after).

Chat should be chatango based, same setup as the Oscars stream we did the other month.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby TheButcher on Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:12 pm

Fox Mulls More '24' — Without Kiefer Sutherland; Returns for 'X-Files,' 'Prison Break'
Lesley Goldberg wrote:As for a revival of The X-Files, Walden stressed that it's a timing issue with creator Chris Carter (whose Amazon series The After was canceled ahead of its premiere) and stars David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson, who would all have to return to reboot the cult hit.

"We've had some conversations on X-Files and we're hopeful that we'll bring that back," Newman told the press, noting that there was nothing that he and Walden could announce at this stage.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Al Shut on Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:29 pm

TheButcher wrote:As for a revival of The X-Files, Walden stressed that it's a timing issue with creator Chris Carter and stars David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson, who would all have to return to reboot the cult hit.

They would have to return to continue the cult hit, not so much in case of a reboot. I'm not sure what the better idea would be.
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:13 am

they already tried to reboot it in the final season after duchovny left and they tried to carry on with annabeth gish and the T-1000 with the occasional scully cameo. didn't work out so well.

i still pine for my long-awaited "FBI Assistant Director Skinner" spinoff series.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby TheButcher on Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:16 pm

David Duchovny “Excited” for Potential X-FILES Reboot
Suggests it Could Be a Limited Series
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:17 pm

TheBaxter wrote:

i still pine for my long-awaited "FBI Assistant Director Skinner" spinoff series.

Skinner P.I. ?
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Peven on Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:42 pm

too bad they can't go back to about the end of the third season and reboot from that point on....

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:32 am

this looks SO GOOD
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:41 pm

Peven wrote:too bad they can't go back to about the end of the third season and reboot from that point on....

instead they apparently went back to season ONE and rebooted... or at least tried to. the premiere felt forced and rushed. i had a really hard time believing mulder would throw away his belief in the ENTIRE MYTHOLOGY of the series/movies for this brand new conspiracy theory so quickly and easily. especially after everything he's seen firsthand, encountered firsthand, seeing aliens and UFOs etc etc. yeah the show's mythology got way out of hand, all the black goo/alien bounty hunter crap, but this episode fell just short of having mulder wake up from a dream and find the CSM alive and taking a shower.

i guess they were in a hurry to jettison all the baggage of the previous series' mythology so they could establish a brand new mythology for this (and future?) seasons, before their 6 episodes are up. maybe if they had more episodes to work with, it wouldn't have felt so rushed. but now that that's out of the way, let's hope the show can find a more natural footing and let itself breathe a bit in the remaining 5 episodes. we won't have to wait long to find out.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:02 am

2nd episode was better. not great, but better.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:07 am

so after the end of last night's episode, it's obvious that there's more x-files to come. i'm not sure if i'm happy about that or not.

this 6-episode series was pretty disappointing over all. last night's episode was one of the better ones, but the entire enterprise just feels like it's trying to recapture something that's just gone. whatever the x-files had back in the 90s, they couldn't recreate that. whatever talent or skill chris carter once had, seems to have left him. some of his writing on these episodes was cringe-inducingly bad, like the nurse who just randomly goes into a diatribe about immigration. it feels like carter has something he wants to say about the state of the world, politics, the environment, etc. but has no clue how to say it in an artful or subtle way. and all that politicking weighs down the show. but then the "comedy" episodes weren't much better, they just felt like caricatures of these characters that took over the show for an episode or two.

so if there's more x-files to come, i don't feel like it's something i can get very excited over. unless carter pulls a lucas and hands the series over to newer hands with fresher ideas, it would probably be another painful slog.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:55 pm

I've watched the first two new episodes.

The first episode was all over the place.

The second episode felt more like an episode of The X-Files.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Al Shut on Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:11 pm

I just can't get past Mulder having a different dubbing voice in the German version.
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:18 pm

I've gotten to episode four now.

This season isn't bad as such. But it still doesn't entirely feel like The X-files. It's more of a knowing homage to The X-Files.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Previous

Return to Coaxial