Space Cadets.

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Space Cadets.

Postby doglips on Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:49 am

It starts tonight onChannel 4..........

Great article hereon the conception of the show and how the producers have got it all together.

Will the contestants be fooled?

Is anyone going to watch?
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby vicious_bastard on Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:51 am

Looks good - they claim to have selected the most suggestible/gullible applicants so I hope SOMEONE is fooled. My wish is violence when it is all revealed as a scam.
vicious_bastard
AIRWOLF

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:02 am

I'm definitely watching this one - reality TV, when done properly, can be some of the best TV out there.

I first heard about this a couple of weeks ago, and at first, I was convinced that it would fall at the first hurdle, ie - one of the contestants would realise it was a hoax. But after seeing all the potential contestants' ugly mugs in the paper this morning, I think they might actually pull it off. The producers have obviously used quite a sophisticated screening process to pick people who are especially gullible to this sort of thing.

I read that a couple of them believe they have seen UFOs, so you can bet there will be an incident when their "shuttle" has a near-collision with an alien craft or something like that. It has the potential to be one of the best UK programs of the year - and it has come at just the right time.

There aren't any decent new comedies on the horizon, this year's "I'm a Celebrity" was without doubt the worst on record, X-Factor sucks after the first round and I simply can't bring myself to get excited about Celebrity Come Dancing.

I have high hopes for Space Cadets, and will definitely report back with my views tomorrow!
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby vicious_bastard on Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:49 pm

I think they have a good chance of pulling off the scam judging by the fuckwittedness of the contestants.

The screening process was pretty interesting.One of the tests involved guessing how many rubber balls were in a jar, then being offered the chance to change their guess after being shown what the others had written. The 'others' results were inflated, the idea being that the most suggestible would question themselves and fall in line. One woman went from 107 to 507. One appeared oblivious to all instructions, removed the lid of the jar and jammed her hand in like a toddler.

They also weeded out anyone who could, amongst other things, name more than four TNG characters, had any scientific interest or knowledge and apparently, anyone capable of going five minutes without pulling a silly face or saying something 'profound'. The three 'mole' actors seem to despise their team already and might struggle to act foolish enough not to be outed early on.

Great idea but great enough to overcome my hatred of the 'reality show' format? Remains to be seen. It could all be easily scuppered by a parachutist or a tabloid newspaper as well. I applaud the risk they are taking - despite the meticulous planning, all it takes is one of them to twig, even slightly and it's all over.

Johnny Vaughn is a true gentleman.
vicious_bastard
AIRWOLF

Postby Larbouk on Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:27 am

So the contestants have been in isolation for three weeks or so already? They must have been, cos Channel 4 has been promoting the twist of the show for about that length of time...don't think we'd have a very exciting show if the contestants saw one of the TV ads (which are funny btw)

Vaughny rocks, but he's never recaptured the magic of the early Big Breakfast partnership with Denise. Anyone remember "Gagging For It"? Sheer genius :wink:
Larbouk
GLIB

Postby TonyWilson on Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:30 am

HOW FUCKING STUPID ARE THESE PEOPLE?

They say you don't need to be thick just suggestible. NO, YOU NEED TO BE A FUCKING MORON.
I have no interest in watching morons being duped and then possibly(probably?) lauded because of it.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby darthevilbob on Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:35 am

It's shit! watched it for about 5 mins - it's just series of big brother if produced by Gene rodennberry: boring...
darthevilbob
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Lupe on Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:48 am

I wanted to hate this show... but I've seen 2 episodes now and my entire house is hooked. Partly its the audacity and the contestants, but also theres a great deal of speculation about it being a hoax - hoax, a double bluff on the audience.
The current theory is that actually the three paid actors posing as contestants are actually the unwitting contestants and that one of them really is getting sent into space. The "stupid" contestants are actually all actors in on the game.

This rumour has been fueled by several factors:

1: The show concentrates on the three actors more than the other contestants.
2: The actors they have chosen are truely f'king awful at their jobs - why choose these three idiots to help you pull off an amazingly expensive stunt over three professionals.
3: It actually works out cheaper to send one person into space than to pay the cost of the stunt and the prize money ( albeit they'll have to wait till 2008 for the prize )
4: One of the so called "contestants" has been spotted in an advert commisioned by Channel 4. See link:

http://community.channel4.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc /f/3490031163/m/3010056463

5: Another contestant is on a performance site for extras
Lupe
REAL DRAGON

Postby TonyWilson on Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:51 am

But it costs about 20 Million dollars or more to get yourself on a space shuttle, according to Russian billionaires. Channel 4 really don't have that much money, if it was co funded by something else I might be persuaded, but it's all about the benjamins.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby Lupe on Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:58 am

Yes but it only costs £200,000 to buy a ticket for 2008 via virgin galactic.
The cost of the show is reportedly £5,000,000
Thats a vast sum of money compared to the negligable cost of sending a bunch of people to a Russian Space camp and then giving away a £200,000 prize to one lucky contestant:
http://www.spaceadventures.com/training
And remember you don't have to send all 13 contestants through the training, only those three "actors" and its training they won't even need if they fly virgin galactic anyway.
Thinking about it in this way I'm rapidly concluding that it is far cheaper and easier to pull this off on three actors who think they're in on the game than 13 people who aren't
Lupe
REAL DRAGON

Return to Coaxial