VERONICA MARS

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Postby John-Locke on Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:59 pm

Damn, he smelt bread and then he was dead.

That was nasty, at least they were realistic, getting smashed around the head HARD with a baseball bat will kill you, if this was Smallville and say Ma Kent or Lana got smashed they'd be out of the hospital by the end of the day.

I'll miss Lamb, sure he was an egotistical Struggling Background Artist but he had a good heart, it's just his ego was much bigger.

I wonder if Grieco is dead too?

Very good episode.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:41 pm

Yeah these past 2 eps have been great!

Poor Lamb. He and Veronica and Keith had such great chemistry.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:32 am

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Just watched it on DVR.

I talked to a friend of mine earlier today and she let slip that someone important dies but at least didn't say who...GODDAMMIT!!!!!

I don't think I would have seen that coming a mile away...though the spoiler did make the bit with Keith and the widow with the .45 a little more terrifying for me.

Lamb was the PERFECT love to hate character. So goddamned egotistical, but goofy and inept enough that I felt some empathy for him too.

Godspeed Sheriff Lamb.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby Knthrak on Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:25 am

Great character. Hopefully we will see more Vinny Van Lowe and the lawyer with Lamb gone. His ribbing with Keith will be sorely missed. And nice to see it only takes one day to swap over Sheriffs and have no sort of tribute for the fallen police officer.
Knthrak
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby papalazeru on Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:15 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:Yeah these past 2 eps have been great!

Poor Lamb. He and Veronica and Keith had such great chemistry.

What do you mean by this oedipus? :shock:

It was weird seeing Keith as Sheriff but it was also quite joyous seeing hom back in uniform.

*Puts pom-poms on*

KEITH FOR MAYOR, KEITH FOR MAYOR....GOOOOOOOOOOOOOO KEITH.

An excellent episode which didn't dwell, like some people said, on V and Logans relationship issue but they were there as side plots...Loved every minute of it.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby RogueScribner on Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:18 am

Good ep in which the drama and twists actually had some impact to the viewer unlike on some other show. Can you image if the CW advertised this ep with "Someone lies/Someone dies" claptrap?

I too thought Keith was about to get shot (or shot at). That sequence was handled well. Lamb's death was unexpected and kind of shocking.

I wonder if they did this to put Keith in a more central power position for the new Veronica Mars? If mysteries are going to be episodic now, I guess it'd help to have daddy as backup.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

a warning for VM fans with DirecTV

Postby jdprovorse on Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:17 am

so I was setting my DirecTV receiver to autotune tonight's VM episode and, wouldn't you know it, right there on my screen in the episode description, the damn thing gives away the killer. In fact, the sum total of the episode description is "Veronica catches XXXX YYYY."

so yeah, if you don't want the damn thing spoiled for you, don't check your program guide. I don't know if this is something that happens all the time with DirecTV, but it's the first time I've ever seen it.
jdprovorse
GLIB

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:13 pm

So far so good.

Looks like VM has hit its stride again.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:58 pm

Such a complex ending.

Seriously, all those twists and turns. I am not sure how plausible it all is...but a fairly solid episode overall.

"I'm just trying to figure out which Gilmore Girl you are". Classic.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby RogueScribner on Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:17 am

Wow. SPOILERS for anyone who hasn't seen last night's ep.

So here was my thought process beginning at last night's episode:

I figured it was the wife since the very beginning, based on the life insurance pay out. I was still convinced that it was her even after I saw her dead body.

I went back and forth on Landry's involvement. When he disappeared and they found his witness it certainly looked fishy.

The T.A. I suspected was involved in the scheme somehow, but I was never sure to what extent. It made sense that'd he try to protect Landry. But then the truth is revealed and while I wasn't surprised, I wasn't exactly expecting it either. Which is good because it looked like they were going to end it on the wife doing it and framing Landry who then confronted her and accidentally killed her causing the T.A. to assume his role and make VM his bitch and everyone lives happily ever after . . . which was fine but hardly satisfying since that's pretty much what I expected to begin with. So I liked the switch up at the end and how VM was the one who pieced it all together. Especially since once the T.A. and VM started doing field work I quit suspecting him of anything, which in hindsight was pretty stupid.

My favorite thing about this episode: they resolved a mystery arc without putting Veronica in mortal peril! Yay!

I can't wait until the show comes back! :)
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:00 am

RogueScribner wrote:Wow. SPOILERS for anyone who hasn't seen last night's ep.

So here was my thought process beginning at last night's episode:

I figured it was the wife since the very beginning, based on the life insurance pay out. I was still convinced that it was her even after I saw her dead body.

I went back and forth on Landry's involvement. When he disappeared and they found his witness it certainly looked fishy.

The T.A. I suspected was involved in the scheme somehow, but I was never sure to what extent. It made sense that'd he try to protect Landry. But then the truth is revealed and while I wasn't surprised, I wasn't exactly expecting it either. Which is good because it looked like they were going to end it on the wife doing it and framing Landry who then confronted her and accidentally killed her causing the T.A. to assume his role and make VM his bitch and everyone lives happily ever after . . . which was fine but hardly satisfying since that's pretty much what I expected to begin with. So I liked the switch up at the end and how VM was the one who pieced it all together. Especially since once the T.A. and VM started doing field work I quit suspecting him of anything, which in hindsight was pretty stupid.

My favorite thing about this episode: they resolved a mystery arc without putting Veronica in mortal peril! Yay!

I can't wait until the show comes back! :)

The TA was the guy I thought it was since the beginning but was never exactly sure of how. They did have me stop doubting him during the episode for a bit though. Landry or the wife would have been too obvious, hence my choice for the TA.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby MasterWhedon on Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:16 pm

Yeah, I called it being Tim at the beginning of the show, just because we all play that game of, "Who could it be? Who could it be? That guy!" But they did an incredible job of throwing you throughout the episode, with building up red herrings and convincing you THIS is the way it is. And then, of course, it isn't.

Best thing about this show is they don't pull a mystery dude out of nowhere and tell you he's the killer. They build all the suspects into the show and slowly revolve them around each other, amping up the tension. And then, when the big reveal is made and the killer finally caught... it feels earned. It feels right.

Great, great storytelling.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby John-Locke on Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:56 pm

It was obviously Tim, it was as clear as the fact that the dude wears a wig, WTF is up with that anyways? I wanted to see what Tim looks like bald.

It was a fun episode but in terms of creativity it failed, Beaver being the killer last season was a much better twist.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby papalazeru on Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:45 pm

Hmmm...I still think the first season had the best hook.

I want to see another big warped individual show his/her ugly head.

I think the only way possible would be to kill Keith at the end of this season and have VM find who it is next season.

Don't get me wrong, I love Keith. Maybe a staged death? and Keith has to sit in the wings while VM does all the work.

How about Weavel having to do some legwork for both of them?

Just...anything to get back the complexity of the first series. I thought the first series had more focus, the second was a little convoluted and the 3rd has been so-so (which is still better than most programs but BSG also seems to be suffering from terce serium aborhem (please check my latin someone).

Both need a shot in the arm. Even if there is an episode where nothing happens, lets at least be able to enjoy the fact that nothing happens.

papalazeru

Postby RogueScribner on Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:21 am

Well, considering they're dropping the whole mystery arc structure, I don't think that'll be in the cards. I'm sure some character stuff will carry over from episode to episode, but from here on out every mystery is supposed to be resolved in one ep.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

CW _does_ have Pussycat Dolls running the network.

Postby The Selecter on Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:47 am

In case anybody was puzzled by the network teaser saying that VM would be back with six new episodes in May...well, it was wrong. There are only going to be five new ones, as everyone thought.

Damn network can't even count the number of shows in their own schedule.
The Selecter
STEAK-A-BABY

Casting (spoiler? probably not)

Postby The Selecter on Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:10 am

Say bye to Piz. I don't think many will miss him.

Whether VM comes back or not, the actor who plays him won't be around; he's been cast on a pilot for ABC.
The Selecter
STEAK-A-BABY

Re: Casting (spoiler? probably not)

Postby stereosforgeeks on Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:42 am

The Selecter wrote:Say bye to Piz. I don't think many will miss him.

Whether VM comes back or not, the actor who plays him won't be around; he's been cast on a pilot for ABC.

That doesn't necessarily mean it will be picked up and he will have to leave VM.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Leckomaniac on Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:04 am

Sigh. There is no justice.

Veronica Mars is cancelled, or so says the chick from E!
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby RogueScribner on Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:10 am

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The irony is that the show has had the best ratings of its entire run this season.

That sux. :(
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Leckomaniac on Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:28 am

It more than sucks...especially when you consider what the CW will probably replace it with. Another "urban comedy" or a reality TV show.

Fuck. Fuck. Fuck.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:56 am

This is the worst fucking travesty since the cancellation of Arrested Development.

This just ruined my whole fucking night. HOLY SHIT am I pissed off right now, I really hope this is some sort of fuck up.

GODDAMMIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*starts throwing chairs*

send hate mail now: here's the general feedback email address until I can find something better: feedback@CWTV.com

I've just e-mailed them, I will seek other methods of communication as well, I hope other Zoners do the same.
Lord Voldemoo

Postby Leckomaniac on Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:24 am

Glad to see I am not the only one pissed about this news. Seriously, what the hell? From a purely quality standpoint that is the best show CW has to offer. Even if it is not doing as well as they would like it too...there still is value in keeping a critical darling like that on the air isn't there? Perhaps to lend the CW some sort of credibility. I mean without Veronica Mars the CW just becomes shit central. Not like I will be watching any of the other shows on there at the moment. Smallville has been downhill since season 4, Gilmore Girls has sucked since Palladino left...

No more Veronica Mars means the CW has nothing to offer me. Hope you are happy CW because you just lost a view for life. Cancelling my beloved Veronica Mars...for shame.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:43 am

the world has gotten a bit dimmer, the darkness creeps in further from the edges.

how many corporations does it take to cancel one of the best shows on television?

two too many.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby RogueScribner on Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:10 am

Without VM, there is absolutely nothing left to attract me to this network. As Lecko said, Smallville has been mired in muck for the past three seasons, GG has run its course, Supernatural is okay but not enough to bring me back week after week . . . what else is there? Dumb reality shows and urban comedies. Bah.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby stereosforgeeks on Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:02 am

Well thanks Pussy Cat Dolls!!! or whatever the hell its called The only thing CW had that I watched was VM and now screw you CW.

They even had a great idea for a little revamp. I hope this doesnt come to fruition, but if it does I am curious what Rob will do next.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby RogueScribner on Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:07 am

Kristin has this to say:

You may have seen my earlier report that Veronica Mars has been canceled.

Well, let me just say that though I heard this heart-wrenching info from six—yes, six—reliable sources on both the network and studio side, and the "cancellation" rumor ran rampant around all sectors of Hollywood today, apparently the picture is more complex than a straight canceled-or-not-canceled scenario.

At this hour, here's what I can tell you:

I just heard from Veronica mastermind and showrunner Rob Thomas, who told me, "If we're canceled, I certainly don't know about it."

According to CW insiders, the network has not officially canceled Veronica Mars. However, here's the catch: It is currently considering a different format for the fourth season. From what I hear, that format would leap four years into the future and focus on Veronica as an FBI agent. Aside from returning star Kristen Bell (duh), the rest of the cast is yet to be determined, but it isn't likely that many of her current costars would be on hand.

So, bottom line: Veronica Mars could be: (1) spinning off into a new format, (2) returning in her college years or (3) getting axed.

And let me just say, number three is indeed a very real possibility, so it is most definitely time to rally the troops before it's too late! If you care about Veronica Mars and want it to survive (and if you're a fan of good TV, I know you do!), please comment below with your name and message of support. And email your friends the link to this column so they can do the same. (I will forward your comments to the powers that be at the CW.)

Then please send a "Save Veronica" postcard or letter to:

Dawn Ostroff
President of Entertainment, The CW Television Network
4000 Warner Blvd., Bldg 168
Burbank, CA 91522-0002

And pardon me while I hop on my soapbox and advise the CW: Canceling Veronica Mars would be a mistake of epic proportions. It is by far the best thing going on the Green Net, and one of the most addictive, smart, funny and well-written series ever to air. The fans would not take its demise lightly.

(P.S. That Pussycat show makes me want to gauge out my eyes.)

Now, VM fans unite! Comment away below—for the love of good TV!

12:01 A.M. UPDATE: I have never seen comments grow so fast and so strong anywhere on E! Online—and in less than two hours! You guys rule. I'm actually weepy. Am I really such a sap?! Keep it coming...

SING IT LOUD, SING IT PROUD, VM FANS!!!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby stereosforgeeks on Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:10 am

As long as it comes back I will be very happy! Though I really do love Mac, Wallace, Logan, Keith, etc... Hell Parker has even grown on me.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby papalazeru on Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:26 am

Well at least we don't get a prequel with VM solving diaper soiling.

I would be quite happy to see Veronica make the transition to FBI but her father HAS to be in it.

The dynamic between them is just too good.

VM in the FBI could be quite dark. At least we get someone using her brains rather than the CSI big old Sci fi route.

No offense to CSI iteself. Love it but a little more realism please....They wouldn't spend so long solving a stupid crime and waste so much money when a perp deserved to die.

papalazeru

Postby MasterWhedon on Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:07 pm

Fuck this shit, man. Fuck it in its stupid ass.

I simply don't understand feckless network execs. The WB cancelled Angel when it was the second highest show on its network and at its creative peak, and now The CW is following suit by booting the best damn show on its network just because it doesn't bring in the business of America's Next Top Model. You want a concrete example of how the business is killing show business, I present you with Exhibit A.

Veronica Mars is a gem, and it deserves much better than this--ESPECIALLY if Rob Thomas' idea about jumping forward to FBI Veronica is true.

I am very, very displeased with this news. :evil:
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:14 am

bump. WRITE TO CW. NOW. OR I WILL BAN YOU.
Lord Voldemoo

Postby RogueScribner on Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:32 am

How will Veronica get herself out of THIS mess???
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Theta on Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:00 am

Honestly, our choices are either

A) Cancellation of the show

or

B) Disembowelling of the show

No arcing mystery structure? No Neptune? At the FBI academy, a very bland and obvious setting for a TV show?

VM would become just a funnier "Law and Order." Given these two options, I'd honestly rather let it die fast than shrivel up and blow away.
This comment is in no way meant to insist your opinion is wrong or be considered an edict, solely this poster's opinion. That said, you are still a fool and will kneel before me in supplication.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:47 am

Just dropped my letter off in the mailbox earlier this evening.

Do NOT cancel Veronica Mars. You will lose a view forever. If CW cancels VM I hope the network goes on to die a horrible death and that all involved get arrested for some sort of white collar crime and then end up killing themselves rather than face prison sentences.

So...you better not cancel VM! I'm playing for keeps!
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Knthrak on Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:43 am

Not a fan of the new FBI idea either, dont see how the goodness of the show can survive in that setting....if this is to be it hopefully they can do some new shots on the final few eps to send it out in style.
Knthrak
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:17 pm

Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby RogueScribner on Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:18 pm

I'll be sad if the show goes, but at least we got three good years of it. That's way more than Firefly or Wonderfalls or Freaks and Geeks got.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:58 am

It just keeps getting worse:

CW, DAMN YOU!.

Why are they so intent on cancelling my Veronica Mars? WHY?!?!?!?!?
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue May 01, 2007 2:48 am

NEW EPISODE TONIGHT!

Herc gives it 4 stars!
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed May 16, 2007 1:35 am

Sigh.

It's over folks

Tis a sad day indeed. Fuck the CW. Fuck the Pussycat Dolls.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby RogueScribner on Wed May 16, 2007 8:58 am

BOO!!!!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed May 16, 2007 9:06 am

Ive heard other sources saying theyll make a decision right after the upfronts, but it still doesnt sound good. My guess is it's dead.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby John-Locke on Wed May 16, 2007 6:50 pm

EW.com is reporting that Kristen Bell will be doing voice-overs as the Gossip Girl herself on the CW drama coming next season from The O.C. creator Josh Schwartz. And you've heard the rumors that VM show runner Rob Thomas was invited to produce Hugh Jackman's Viva Laughlin! Also, the CW can supposedly pick up Veronica Mars as late as June 15, but it will not be announcing a pickup at its upfront tomorrow.

1:52 p.m. Update: You gotta love modern technology! I'm inside Carnegie liveblogging the CBS presentation and just corresponded via email with Rob Thomas about VM.

He tells me:

"We could still be a midseason replacement. We've known for a couple of weeks that they were thinking of us in terms of midseason. We don't know when we'll hear something definite.

"I've known Kristen did the disembodied-voice work on Gossip Girl for quite some time. Totally cool with me.

"I was approached by Viva Laughlin, but I really want to concentrate on either Veronica Mars or future development."

Still a little hope then, lets just hope that whatever shit they replace it with bombs terribly.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby lyra belacqua on Wed May 16, 2007 9:26 pm

John-Locke wrote:
"We could still be a midseason replacement. We've known for a couple of weeks that they were thinking of us in terms of midseason. We don't know when we'll hear something definite.

"I was approached by Viva Laughlin, but I really want to concentrate on either Veronica Mars or future development."

Still a little hope then, lets just hope that whatever shit they replace it with bombs terribly.

I almost wish they would just pull the plug. As much as I looooove VM, it's just not as awesome as it once was and I don't want to see all the network fucking it would get if it stays on the air. And count me as one that would love the jump ahead to FBI training. I wish more shows did that. (Desperate Housewives desperately needs a reboot and a time jump could be the way to go.)

The midseason thing is also just a way of fucking with viewers. It's kinda like the CW is stringing us along when we know their gonna dump our asses. So, I'm afraid that I'm going to consider VM dead and just be pleasantly surprised if it pops up again on my television.

But I would totally watch any new show that Rob comes up with-he's earned by trust.
lyra belacqua
GEEK GODDESS

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Fri May 18, 2007 3:39 pm

sounds like it is, in fact, dead.

Definitely not coming back in the fall, as noted by Herc yesterday.

http://www.aintitcool.com/?q=node/32700

And not coming back as a midseason, according to tvguide.com

here's the tvguide.com piece.
Veronica Mars' Boss: "Very, Very, Very Sad Day"
by Michael Desmond

I forwarded Veronica Mars creator Rob Thomas the comments Dawn Ostroff made at the CW upfront (read 'em in my live blog) regarding the show's fate, and below is the response he just sent me:

"No one has talked to me about a new, non-Veronica project. All my writers have been offered jobs elsewhere, and I believe they will now all accept these jobs. Very, very, very sad day around the VM offices.

"I assume that anything Dawn would be talking about in the realm of a Rob-Kristen project would involve a new from-scratch pilot as they don't have me in a deal, and they'll lose Kristen in a couple of weeks."

Bottom line: It's over.

First Gilmore Girls and now this. Simply depressing. Who's giving out hugs?

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Lord Voldemoo

Postby RogueScribner on Tue May 22, 2007 7:34 am

I don't like being strung along, so if the show has been called, let it be. It had a good three seasons. That's a lot more than most shows get these days. Unless you're bland hackneyed cookie-cutter entertainment anyway.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:08 pm

Herc's still beating the drum

Sounds like there is an outside shot that there is still SOME hope that VM COULD come back in SOME form next season...
Lord Voldemoo

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:09 pm

I am down. I will write a letter to those two suits trying to get V Mars back on the air.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:30 pm

Rob Thomas tidbits
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Re: VERONICA MARS (SPOILERS)- CANCELLED?

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:29 am

It is confirmed.

Rob Thomas is writing Veronica Mars film

Hellz.

Fucking.

Yeah.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

PreviousNext

Return to Coaxial