DOCTOR WHO Christmas Special/10th Doctor

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

DOCTOR WHO Christmas Special/10th Doctor

Postby Tubbs Tattsyrup on Sat Dec 10, 2005 5:47 pm

OK, so in a few weeks THE CHRISTMAS INVASION is gonna air on the BBC. It'll feature the TENTH Doctor, David Tennant (Bright Young Things, Goblet of Fire). There are a bunch of images on the BBC's website www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho of this dude.

What's the general consensus here on the new Doctor and the new season? Like, John Barrowman (Jack) isn't coming back immediately. Billie Piper is leaving, apparently, after this season. And they're making that spin-off about Captain Jack.

Personally I love David Tennant and think he'll be an interesting, new and brilliant Doctor.
On YouTube or Vimeo.
Tubbs Tattsyrup
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby Shane on Sat Dec 10, 2005 5:49 pm

I'm all for it, I can't wait to see the Cybermen back
Shane
AIRWOLF

The Christmas Invasion - Mild Spoilers!

Postby Martin on Sat Dec 10, 2005 6:30 pm

The Doctor takes Rose home for the festive season, but the regenerative process has exhausted him and he falls unconscious - just as Earth comes
under threat from the Sycorax, who have employed sinister Santas and murderous trees to do their bidding.

TELL ME MORE: David Tennant might have a nasty pinstripe suit to wear in his new role, but the Christmas special sees him spending most of the episode in his pyjamas as the Time Lord recuperates from his regeneration. 'You can't change your entire body without a bit of angst and pain,' explains writer Russell T Davies. 'But while the Doctor's recovering in bed, a great big alien invasion starts. Just when you need him most, he's not there.' The special is the first Doctor Who adventure to be screened on Christmas Day since 1965 and Davies admits to some nerves. 'I can't wait, but I'm also terrified. For the first time we will be up against a big show like Emmerdale. But I'm sure the Doctor will be all right.'

* Digital viewers can press the red button immediately after Doctor Who: The Christmas Invasion to take part in the Doctor's first interactive adventure, Attack of the Graske.

-- TV & Satellite Christmas, 17-30 December 2005
Martin
Martin
GLIB

Postby Tubbs Tattsyrup on Sat Dec 10, 2005 6:34 pm

I wondered why Tennant was dressed like this, rather than his pinstripe suit and coat:

On YouTube or Vimeo.
Tubbs Tattsyrup
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sat Dec 10, 2005 6:49 pm

Should have gotten rid of Billie Piper earlier. She ain't that great an actor and she's a bit of a unit, plus she ain't that vital as The Doctor's assistant. He doesn't need her that much.

I feel her prescence will be strained.

I have pretty good hopes for Tennant. He might be more suited for this role than Eccleston turned out to be.

Couldn't resist a bit of sabre fighting thoguh, could he?

WHo couldn't, after the 5 sabre fight fest that was ROTS?
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Shane on Sat Dec 10, 2005 6:58 pm

he is in his pajammas
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby darthevilbob on Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:59 pm

I have mixed feelings about Dr Who, on one hand: it's british Sci-Fi with a budget.

On the other they never seemed to be able to fit a good contained story into 45 mins episode (apart from Dalek and Father day). and RT davies' stories seemed to be the worst ones (flatulent aliens, purlease)?

Still I will be watching Xmas day, although the idea of killer santa's - hmmmmmmm (sounds like a futurama episode)
darthevilbob
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:17 pm

are they running the new Dr. Who in the states? must be on BBC, eh? i'm curious about it... i saw a pic the other day with the evil general from 28 Days as the new Doctor with some cute blonde vixen? is it coolness?
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby thomasgaffney on Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:21 pm

ZombieZoneSolutions wrote:are they running the new Dr. Who in the states? must be on BBC, eh? i'm curious about it... i saw a pic the other day with the evil general from 28 Days as the new Doctor with some cute blonde vixen? is it coolness?

Zombie, no it's not on in the States, but on February 14th, they're being released in the States on DVD. The entire 1st season.

Here's a thread about it.

I have seen the first 3 episodes *COUGH* torrent *COUGH* and I am heavily impressed with the new shows.
find me: twitter and goodreads
find my book: amazon
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby Shane on Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:54 pm

Wait till you see Empty child and the Doctor dances

they are the best Doctor who ever.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby thomasgaffney on Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:56 pm

Shane wrote:Wait till you see Empty child and the Doctor dances

Thanks for the tip, Shane! I'm trying to have a marathon to watch the rest of the episodes.
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby Shane on Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:00 pm

thomasgaffney wrote:
Shane wrote:Wait till you see Empty child and the Doctor dances

Thanks for the tip, Shane! I'm trying to have a marathon to watch the rest of the episodes.

I have been watching Dr. Who for twenty plus years now, and I can say if you are having an Echelson Marathon you are in for a treat. I enjoyed them more than any past who and I love past who.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby Shane on Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:01 pm

oh and if you can check out the children in need special short it's like 7 min of the doctor and rose after the last episode and before the christmass invasion it is cool too
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby thomasgaffney on Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:03 pm

Shane wrote:I have been watching Dr. Who for twenty plus years now, and I can say if you are having an Echelson Marathon you are in for a treat. I enjoyed them more than any past who and I love past who.

Awesome. I used to watch them on the public access channels all throughout the 80s and I love Doctor Who. From what I've seen, I can get into the new Doctor (so looking forward to David Tenant), so to know Eccleston gets better is cool.
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby bluebottle on Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:43 pm

i thought the rumors that Billie Piper leaving had been discredited. I thought that she was staying on for at least a third season.

I really like her on the show.
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Tubbs Tattsyrup on Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:52 pm

Billie's pretty good, I think. And Shane's right - Empty Child/Doctor Dances is FUCKING AMAZING. Eccleston is 2nd only to Tom Baker in my opinion. If he had stayed longer I'm sure he would have really given Baker a run for his money.

Doing a WHO series 27 marathon is a good thing. It also works quite well as an entire series, as a whole.
On YouTube or Vimeo.
Tubbs Tattsyrup
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby Shane on Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:35 am

As much as I loved tom baker, I have to say the new format of hour long episodes, and not dragging it out made the pace more bearable and makes for more intense episodes.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby bluebottle on Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:39 am

well, it's only because now when we watch the original episodes we're watching them in a row... but originally, it was fun to have each episode end on a cliffhanger.

but, that being said, i totally agree, the new format really suits the show, and the pace is great.
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ONeillSG1 on Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:40 am

I love the new Who, but I hope that I don't sound like an idiot for asking this:

If Christopher Eccelson ever wanted to come back as the Doctor, is it possible within the storyline to do so?

Namely, is the regeneration process something that can change you back into a previous incarnation?
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby Shane on Sun Dec 11, 2005 1:41 am

ONeillSG1 wrote:I love the new Who, but I hope that I don't sound like an idiot for asking this:

If Christopher Eccelson ever wanted to come back as the Doctor, is it possible within the storyline to do so?

Namely, is the regeneration process something that can change you back into a previous incarnation?

he can not revert, but they have had past Doctors meet his current incarnations.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby bluebottle on Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:03 am

multiple doctor storylines are an event. i feel like they're testing the waters by bringing back Sarah Jane and K9 to see how receptive the new fans are to classic Who characters.

So, maybe in a year or two they could do a multiple doctor ep... With CE, DT and... Paul McGann maybe? That'd be cool.

Maybe they'll finally show how McGann regenerated into Eccelson. Or at least say why it happened.
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Shane on Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:07 am

I hear Davies wants to stay away from bringing back past doctors, but I am hoping to see McGahn and Eccelson make appearances on Torchwood, that would be cool.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby bluebottle on Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:10 am

i heard that too... but - this is purely speculation - i really think that bringing sarah jane smith back is his way of dipping his toe into classic who.

Sadly, i heard that torchwood will have very little to do with Who.
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Shane on Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:16 am

Bluebottle wrote:i heard that too... but - this is purely speculation - i really think that bringing sarah jane smith back is his way of dipping his toe into classic who.

Sadly, i heard that torchwood will have very little to do with Who.

Too bad because it would be a great time to bring back old aliens and villains with a new twists.

I like K-9 and Sara Jane coming back because it ties it to classic Who more.

Also more speculation I have heard, but is bringing K-9 back for the one episode a way to test the waters for his return to the T.A.R.D.I.S. I hope not.

The one I want to see come back the most now is the Master, who I hear Davies is staying away from.

Also I hear there is more to the Bad Wolf this season, that what we saw was not the big answer.

And on a last note, has anyone seen the children in need? That preformance by Tennant really got me pumped.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby Seppuku on Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:24 am

Maybe I'm just getting old, but Patrick Troughton will forever stand in my book as being the Greatest Time Lord who ever lived.

The first Doc Who, William Hartnell, was a little too dry for my taste, though some of those early episodes (the ones that survived the BBC archives) are the best.

Jon Pertwee once met my older sister back in the Seventies, and apparently he was a tetchy primadonna who refused to give her an autograph. And his Who was like a human drain compared to the fun-giving Troughton.

Tom Baker, legend that he is, had an annoying habit of mumbling. He may have took himself to be the floppy-haired Brando in his mind, but this is BBC, one must articulate to the proper degree of eloquence etc. etc. Mary Tamm was the finest Doctor Who bitch though without doubt. She's like a grown-up Hermione.

Colin Baker...ha, you may have the other Baker's hair (dyed blonde/ginger) but you sure as hell don't have his screen presence.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby bluebottle on Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:29 am

seppukudkurosawa wrote:Maybe I'm just getting old, but Patrick Troughton will forever stand in my book as being the Greatest Time Lord who ever lived.

The two Who serials I show people when I try to get them into Who are City of Death and Tomb of the Cybermen.

PT was the best, I totally agree with you.
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Shane on Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:30 am

I have a hard time choosing a favorite Doctor. I see them all as the Doctor. It's weird, but he is just the Doctor to me.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby Shane on Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:17 am

Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby wharto on Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:26 am

No one beats Sylvester McCoy.
Which is a shame really.
wharto
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Shane on Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:28 am

No one beats Davies.

I loved McCoy, but these new episodes have gotten so phenominal.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby wharto on Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:30 am

I mean the fact that he isn't beaten is a shame.
Tom Baker is the THE DOCTOR.
wharto
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby ONeillSG1 on Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:03 am

Shane wrote:he can not revert, but they have had past Doctors meet his current incarnations.

How is that possible? Is he regenerating his form to people already living? Or is he regenerating himself into form already occupied by other Time Lords?
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby thomasgaffney on Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:09 am

ONeillSG1 wrote:
Shane wrote:he can not revert, but they have had past Doctors meet his current incarnations.

How is that possible? Is he regenerating his form to people already living? Or is he regenerating himself into form already occupied by other Time Lords?

Other forces, more powerful, have brought several generations of the Doctor together to fight a common enemy. (See The Three Doctors and The Five Doctors).
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby Seppuku on Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:10 am

Shane wrote:they have had past Doctors meet his current incarnations.

The four-parter where Troughton, Pertwee and an ailing William Hartnell all hook up, The Three Doctors, is one of my fave episodes of Dr. Who- though there have been even more of these multiple doctor themed episodes too. The Two Doctors, with Troughton and Colin Baker was pretty poor, well whenever Patrick and Jamie weren't on the screen anyway. The Five Doctors, I admit, I've never seen. I do know they had someone else playing Hartnell's doctor in that one, but is it any good?
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Seppuku on Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:11 am

Other forces, more powerful, have brought several generations of the Doctor together to fight a common enemy. (See The Three Doctors and The Five Doctors).

You fiend, you got there a few seconds before me.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby thomasgaffney on Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:12 am

seppukudkurosawa wrote:
Shane wrote:they have had past Doctors meet his current incarnations.

The four-parter where Troughton, Pertwee and an ailing William Hartnell all hook up, The Three Doctors, is one of my fave episodes of Dr. Who- though there have been even more of these multiple doctor themed episodes too. The Two Doctors, with Troughton and Colin Baker was pretty poor, well whenever Patrick and Jamie weren't on the screen anyway. The Five Doctors, I admit, I've never seen. I do know they had someone else playing Hartnell's doctor in that one, but is it any good?

Yes, Hartnell was dead so they got a look-a-like to play him. It was good, except Tom Baker was feuding with the BBC at the time, so he wasn't in the episode at all. They just used footage from the never-before-seen Shada.

EDIT - Sorry about beating you to the punch on that last post!
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby wharto on Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:14 am

I think going too far back would be a poor decision, Colin Baker is balder and fatter (like most of us), Peter Davidson looks decent enough, McCoy looks much much older so that leaves only McGann, Davidson and Eccleston, and we know Eccleston will be unwilling to do so.
wharto
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Shane on Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:23 am

ONeillSG1 wrote:

Are you asking how it's possible to meet his other selves?

The Doctor is a time traveler it's a show about time travel.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby Shane on Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:25 am

wharto wrote:I think going too far back would be a poor decision, Colin Baker is balder and fatter (like most of us), Peter Davidson looks decent enough, McCoy looks much much older so that leaves only McGann, Davidson and Eccleston, and we know Eccleston will be unwilling to do so.

sadly I think you're right.

he seems bent on moving on and leaving the doctor in his past.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby magicmonkey on Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:38 am

Am overjoyed to hear this news. I shall be in the UK over Christmas and look forward to catching up with my favourite Timelord. I never saw any of the latest batch of Dr. Who's, so am still suspicious of what I'll find. But, everything here sounds v.positive, bring on the Cybermen!
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Shane on Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:45 am

magicmonkey wrote:Am overjoyed to hear this news. I shall be in the UK over Christmas and look forward to catching up with my favourite Timelord. I never saw any of the latest batch of Dr. Who's, so am still suspicious of what I'll find. But, everything here sounds v.positive, bring on the Cybermen!

If you like old Who you will love new Who It's alot the same, but they make the episdes self contained. So you don't have to watch for months for one story, and they improved alot.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby wharto on Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:46 am

The two parter set in WWII London, was absolutely fantastic.
wharto
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby TONY DEWONDERFUL on Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:50 am

Screw Dr Who, bring back Blake's 7.
TONY DEWONDERFUL
GLIB

Postby Shane on Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:50 am

wharto wrote:The two parter set in WWII London, was absolutely fantastic.

No it was not

It was the best episode of doctor who period.

and with doctor who being my favorite show it was the best television I have ever seen

"Are you my mommy?"
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby Shane on Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:51 am

D0CPAZUZU wrote:Screw Dr Who, bring back Blake's 7.

They all died.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby TONY DEWONDERFUL on Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:52 am

You never saw Avon die.
TONY DEWONDERFUL
GLIB

Postby wharto on Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:52 am

That little kid scared the living shit out of me, and killing Victor Meldrew???
The bastard!!!!!!!!!!
wharto
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby bluebottle on Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:32 pm

ONeillSG1 wrote:

When a time lord's body dies, he regenerates into a whole new form, a whole new life. So he's not regenerating into anyone that already exists. Now, they've shown that Time Lords can also force a regeneration and sometime choose the body they wish to inhabit, which happened with one of the Doctor's companions, fellow Time Lord Romana.

EDIT: BUT, it's important to note that the Doctor is technically the same being. His age doesn't reset. Although he travels in time, his PERSONAL timeline is linear.

Since the show is about time travel, it's totally possible for The Doctor to travel back in time to meet himself; whether it's in his current form or a previous regeneration.

HOWEVER, there is a law of time that makes it a big no-no to do so.

SO, as the previous posters have said, it only happens when an outside force brings them together for a special reason.

I can't believe you guys didn't explain that fully to him.

NERDS!

:roll:
Last edited by bluebottle on Mon Dec 12, 2005 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TONY DEWONDERFUL on Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:54 pm

I just regenerated. Someone open a window.
TONY DEWONDERFUL
GLIB

Postby Agent Alonzo on Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:37 am

The Christmas episode will carry an anti-war message... Considering how heavy handed some of the writing was in the last season, that has to be worrying.
alonzo..... my apologies you ho-bag! - banthafodderUK

...that was the funniest post I've ever read at AICN. Comedy gold. I'm stealing it and shooting it in nothing other than a static two-shot. - Kevin Smith
Agent Alonzo
UMAGAA OMBONGO

Next

Return to Coaxial