DOCTOR WHO Christmas Special/10th Doctor

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Postby Shane on Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:47 pm

well here's some pics

they say *Spoiler*

but they look cool
http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/news/cult/news/drwh o/2005/12/13/28176.shtml
for the christmas invasion
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby Shane on Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:50 pm

well the link won't work so you got to go to the news section of the homepage

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby monorail77 on Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:54 pm

Get rid of Billie Piper?? No no no. In many ways she out-acted Eccleston. That episode with her father is just great affecting drama, period. I don't care if its just TV or just crappy silly Dr. Who, that was a great episode.
"All we have is language; that's the one tool that enables us to grasp hold of our lives and transcend our fate by understanding it."
-Harlan Ellison

monorail77
AIRWOLF

Postby Shane on Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:55 pm

monorail77 wrote:Get rid of Billie Piper?? No no no. In many ways she out-acted Eccleston. That episode with her father is just great affecting drama, period. I don't care if its just TV or just crappy silly Dr. Who, that was a great episode.

Dr. Who is not just t.v. it is life
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby Fozzie on Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:42 am

Looking forward to what the writer of "Empty Child" will do next season. He seems really good at the more sci-fi/horror type stuff....
Fozzie
GLIB

Postby dark wesley on Fri Dec 16, 2005 9:02 am

saw the ad last night for the christmas special, sorry if im behind the times in saying.. THAT LOOKS FUCKING AMAZING!
i wish my middle name was tiberius.
dark wesley
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Shane on Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:02 pm

dark wesley wrote:saw the ad last night for the christmas special, sorry if im behind the times in saying.. THAT LOOKS FUCKING AMAZING!

understatement of the year.

As you have noticed I just like to remind everyone all the time,

This is the best Fucking show ever.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby Shane on Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:47 pm

I want to see Ice Warriors and The War Lords again.

at the rate they are going that's only a few seasons off.

Davies said he has enougf material for ten years.

Will Who last as long aas it did last time?
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby Shane on Sat Dec 24, 2005 7:54 pm

|It's Tomorrow!!!!!!!

just had to geek out for a minute.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby darthevilbob on Sun Dec 25, 2005 12:18 pm

its on in under 3 hours! looking forward to tihs, the special effects look like they've been improved consideribly over lst seasons'.
darthevilbob
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby tapehead on Sun Dec 25, 2005 12:37 pm

on in two and a half hours - I would say that Billie Piper is integral to the success of the new Doctor (to a lesser extent Captain Jack is important too) she has more storylines and series arcs related to her than any previous incarnation of the Docto'rs companions, that I'm aware of (anyhting before Tom Baker and i only know a little) - I really hope she stays in after series two... providing it keeps up to the quality set with series one - any chance of more Simon Peg, he was fantastic as an evil henchman
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Shane on Sun Dec 25, 2005 2:10 pm

After it airs, someone has to post and give a spoiler free review.

I'm waiting over here in north america.

the suspense is killing me
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby tapehead on Sun Dec 25, 2005 4:48 pm

First impressions of the new Doctor: maybe a bit like Peter Davison, the fifth doctor, and the first one to wear what look like converse one stars - fucken rocking tardis landing at the start of the ep- sfx have improved on last seasons - enough to encompass some epic shots in this ep, many involving London Landmarks including the tower of London, the Millenium Stadium and the distinctive 'erotic gherkin', the Swiss RE building. Story involves (POSSIBLE SPOILERS) invasion of Earth at Xmas time by the Sycorax, who we are first introduced to via their 'pilot fish'; a very creepy band of Santas. Politician Harriet Jones returns from series one, and Rose feels abandoned, unable to deal with her Mum AND an invasion while the Doctor completes his regeneration(No spoilers there hey?). Very clever dealing with what could have been a pretty cliched Alien Invasion storyline. Another very Rose-centric storyline, and a brilliant introduction to the new Doctor (David Tennant). Also contains lots of references to the upcoming Doctor Who Spinoff 'Torchwood'

the 10th Doctor
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby darthevilbob on Sun Dec 25, 2005 5:23 pm

Hmmm, It was OK.

The cop out, fight to the death between the DR and the Leader was a bit cliché to say the least.

However I am liking David Tennant, he seems a much more likable Dr. He also aludes to the fact that he may do things a little different to the previous Doctors, including "not giving second chances".

The Christmas tree was a little erm daft (but maybe that was the point). Billie Piper seemed a bit over emotional in some scenes, and rather good in others.

Still looking forward to the new series. (still hate the fact that the background music is TOOO LOUD!! CANT HEAR THE ACTORS)
darthevilbob
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Dapper Vinny Vegas on Sun Dec 25, 2005 5:51 pm

Hello, new poster here - nice to make your collective acquaintance.

I was entertained more by 15 minutes of David Tennant than I was by the entirety of Christopher Eccleston's performance last season (controversial, I'm sure). He seems a lot more suited to RTD's style. Don't get me wrong - I really enjoyed last year, I just felt that DT felt 'right' as the Doctor, the dialogue was far less forced and melodramatic. I didn't think CE was all that convincing when trying to pull off the eccentric side of the Doctor - it all came across as a little too 'panto' to me. DT seemed very comfortable mixing both the playful, eccentric side of the Doctor and the creepy, dark moments - I really enjoyed his performance.

In fact, I'd say character-wise it was pretty much what I had expected the Who update to be like when it was first announced.

That being said - anyone think the first 45 minutes were a bit poo? I agree completely with DarthBob when it comes to the score. And on that subject does every scene need to be played out with the backing of that intrusive, messy synth score?

Anyway, enough moaning. Tennant was great.
Dapper Vinny Vegas
GLIB

Postby tapehead on Sun Dec 25, 2005 8:57 pm

My feeling is that the 9th and 10th - Eccleston and Tennant, are a bit like 'evolution' from the 5th to the 6th - ie Baker and Davison. Baker and Eccleston were both dark and mysterious compared to the latter two more theatrical and 'saying out loud what they think' type of characters - all this 'who am I? who is this Doctor?' stuff. Although I'm willing to accept that this might be seen as a bit of a stretch as Ecclestone only had one sereis as the doctor (although I thought he had a strong rapport with Billy Piper as his companion, and he was a very cool doctor - Tom Baker is my all time favorite). Also, the problem with the music: the last two sereis of 'Who' have been very much Digital productions - a 5.1 mix or nice surround stereo, and there's little problem distinguishing the mix and fx from the dialogue - I think the BBC are commited to this kind of production values. It's a shame for those still watching an anologue box, but after '07 in the UK, that will no longer be an option. I think Tennant, who I only really know from the Casanova mini-sereies, is going to be really good....the line about 'no second chances' holds a lot of promise, and was perhaps the most exciting moment for the new Doctor in this ep. Also - what is up with all the 'Arthur Dent' and 'docotr in his jammies' gear? Whilst reference to Douglas Adams in 'Who' is no bad thing, did anyone else find this a little pointless and cheesy?
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Shane on Mon Dec 26, 2005 1:23 pm

Seeing how I geek out every time I see a Blue Police Call Box or an old type 40, My opinion is verry much leaning in the pro Who side always.

That being said, It was awesome.

We got to see the wardrobe room, and had a little taste of what we have to look forward to with the new season of Doctor who. We saw U.N.I.T. and got to see some new time lord abilities. We learned just a little more about the regeneration process. And the no second chances doctor is cool.

watching the T.A.R.D.I.S. crashing to earth bouncing off buildings was phenominal, and seeing 1/3 the earths population gathering to the roof tops of buildings was chilling.

I hate it when it's over, but the coming in 2006 season preview was great. Sara Jane Smith and K-9, Cybermen, and the Face of Boe. I can not wait for the new season, and I'm so Glad I finally saw the Christmas Invasion. And as for the Arthur Dent comment. Hitchhikers was origionaly writen as a Doctor Who Script and then underwent revisions to become what it is now. Maybeeit was just some more lost undone who like Shada.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby Tonay on Mon Dec 26, 2005 1:35 pm

It was crap.

Did you see that swordfight? Jesus, that was horrendous.
Tonay
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby bluebottle on Mon Dec 26, 2005 3:30 pm

It was fun.

Dr. Who is a Sci-Fi, Horror, Adventure romp that never takes itself seriously.

It wasn't the best episode of the series, but it wasn't the worst, and as regeneration episodes go, it was great.

I was a bit sketchy on Tennant, but by the end I was sold. Actually I was sold with "Am I... Ginger?"

Next season looks great.
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Shane on Mon Dec 26, 2005 4:01 pm

If Doctor Who took itself too seriously you'd have the 90's movie. The light hearted edge makes it all work. It's too outlandish to be as serious as I take it even.

And a doctor that is fun, like Tennant looks to be helps it all imensly, especially when he can make a transition from sillly to serious and menacing like he did so swiftly at parts here. He is Manic. The regeneration episodes are always the least impressive for a new doctor, so if he is only going to improve, then I am excited.

**Spoiler**

????

has anyone heard a roumor about this season leading up to a Dalek Cyberman War?

And will we ever seee the master again?

What about the roumor that the master is still in the T.A.R.D.I.S., or even trapped in the Doctor

When Will I see Sontarans and Ice Warriors?

Will the Bad wolf theme return to inveil itself as more than what we have seen?
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby bluebottle on Mon Dec 26, 2005 4:10 pm

I think Tennant is going to be a great choice. I see him as a young Troughten.

<SPOILERS>

Shane, the Dalek Cybermen war is "rumored" but everyone working on the show has denied the reports.

It was "rumored" that Anthony Stewart Head was playing the master this year, but that has also been denied.

The Bad Wolf storyline *is* going to continue through this season

</SPOILERS>

Now that's just from memory, based on what i've read here It's the best Dr. Who site on the web, and they're usually the first to report spoilers and news.
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Adam Balm on Mon Dec 26, 2005 4:34 pm

I'm going to look for it on bit torrent since it will probably never air here in the US...

What's the exact title of the special exactly?
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby bluebottle on Mon Dec 26, 2005 4:37 pm

doctor who: the christmas invasion

have you seen the first season? at the very least find the last couple episodes first (they're "available")... the special might be a bit jarring for someone that's never seen it before.
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Adam Balm on Mon Dec 26, 2005 4:39 pm

I refused to watch the first new season, kind of out of principle...

Anything I need to know going into it?
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby bluebottle on Mon Dec 26, 2005 4:42 pm

:shock:

well... umm... ok, i'll assume that you watched the original series, so i don't have to get into the whole time lord thing.

but, so... The Doctor's companion this go-round is Rose Tyler who has a boyfriend and a mother that they check in on from time to time.

They met a woman reporter named "Harriet Jones" who helped them save the world. She would introduce herself as "Harriet Jones, Reporter' and flash her id.

The Doctor died at the end of the last season, and has just regenerated.

That's it really, i'm just telling you the stuff that will help the jokes play.
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Shane on Mon Dec 26, 2005 4:42 pm

I see what you mean about him being like the 2nd doctor. I didn't notice it at first.

I've gotta go back over the Christmas invasion and see if there is a Bad Wolf Refrence there.

did anyone notice one?
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby Shane on Mon Dec 26, 2005 4:44 pm

oh yeah and outpost Galifrey kicked me off their boards for not posting enougf.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby darthevilbob on Mon Dec 26, 2005 6:18 pm

I don't think the score has anything to do with 5.1 / Stereo etc, as I have modern Telly and watching it on SKY.

Also the DVD's were the same on my dvd player with its 5.1 speaker setup. So there's something wrong going on, and why havent they fixed it?
darthevilbob
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby tapehead on Mon Dec 26, 2005 7:31 pm

Anthony Stewart Head was in the teaser for the series at the end of this xmas special - so he's definitely appearing - the audio thing was merely a suggestion, as it's not a problem I've personally experienced - it just seems a big, dynamic range digital mix to me - without the compression and normalising often heard on television. Can any BBC digital viewers tell me a bit about 'Attack of the Graske'? the interactive thing that was available after the special - sounds interesting, but could be very very lame
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Shane on Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:05 am

|It looked like Anthony Stewart Head is the villain in the episode. I may be wrong.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby Agent Alonzo on Tue Dec 27, 2005 2:38 am

Harriet Jones was a unimportant MP (member of Parliment) who ended up as Prime Minster directly because of the actions of the doctor...
She was not a reporter.
Don't trust Candians, they are out to confuse you...
alonzo..... my apologies you ho-bag! - banthafodderUK

...that was the funniest post I've ever read at AICN. Comedy gold. I'm stealing it and shooting it in nothing other than a static two-shot. - Kevin Smith
Agent Alonzo
UMAGAA OMBONGO

Postby bluebottle on Tue Dec 27, 2005 3:03 am

curses, foiled again.
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Agent Alonzo on Tue Dec 27, 2005 3:06 am

Now twirl your moustache while telling me you will get me next time...
alonzo..... my apologies you ho-bag! - banthafodderUK

...that was the funniest post I've ever read at AICN. Comedy gold. I'm stealing it and shooting it in nothing other than a static two-shot. - Kevin Smith
Agent Alonzo
UMAGAA OMBONGO

Postby bluebottle on Tue Dec 27, 2005 3:14 am

<moustache twirling>

I'll get you next time, Alonzo.... NEXT TIME!!!

</moustache twirling>
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Shane on Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:11 pm

Wow I just saw Attack of the Graske the interactive episode and man was it lame. The only cool thing was seeing the T.A.R.D.I.S. and Tennant as the Doctor. They could have done without this.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby ONeillSG1 on Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:24 pm

Awesome hour of TV.

When is the new season starting up?
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby Shane on Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:34 pm

I don't know if there is an official date yet, but it will be in spring of 06
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby ONeillSG1 on Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:37 pm

Shane wrote:I don't know if there is an official date yet, but it will be in spring of 06

Then, that will be the happiest time of year, won't it?

I was concerned with the change of Doctors, but after seeing this, I am convinced that this will not kill the new franchise off.

Everything was so well done by Tennant. I was smiling the whole way through.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby Shane on Tue Dec 27, 2005 1:59 pm

I just saw a big Tom Baker similarity.

The basic color scheme, and outfit is a toned down contemperary Baker, and the way he is just off the wall jumping around and being all out there is like Bakers Doctor.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby darthevilbob on Wed Dec 28, 2005 4:42 pm

SFX magazine seems pretty convinced that Dr Who will start in April And because they like to brown nose RT davies, they're usually right.
darthevilbob
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Terminator on Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:21 pm

I quite enjoyed it. The sword fight was kind of lame, but i've seen a helluva lot worse. The only thing I didn't understand was Jones and her right hand man understanding what the alien was saying. Don't they have to step foot in the T.A.R.D.I.S. for that to happen? Anyway, 2006 preview got me pumped.

I actually liked the score. It didn't seem busy enough last season, but it's more clearly now. Maybe a bit too much though if others are having problems. Check this out:

mms://wm.bbc.net.uk/doctorwho/2006theme.wma

Apparently this played over the end credits (CBC had Piper talking over credits). But, it says 2006 theme. I wouldn't mind if it was, it's fantastic.
Terminator
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Shane on Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:08 am

I like the idea of an orchestrated theme

That sounds cool, I like it.

Maybee someone will get to make a motion picture or twenty one day and we can hear some amazing compositions of the doctor who theme.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby tapehead on Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:46 am

Yeah it's cool.... always been a rabid fan of Delia Derbyshire's old school electronic version, and often thought it would be cool if Orbital's techno take on it never actually got used in any 'who incarnation - as far as I know anayway
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:42 pm

Thought the new Doctor was shit basically.

Just got back in from travelling on the train so I won't say too much, other than I thought his OTT performance was f*cking awful.

Came across like some w*nker that you meet when you go out at night who thinks he's really funny, clever and hard, but he just came across as some unfunny, obnoxious idiot who you just felt embarresed to be standing next to.

Now I'm using the word here literally and properly. Real genuine. In real life, if we saw this kind of person, we would call him a gentleman. In all seriousness.

I couldn't think that the Doctor following Christopher Eccleston could be any worse, but this guy repeating the overacting jollyness but coupled with godawful unconvincing seriousness and ghastly moments of trying to be threatening, really made me fear that we're in for a 'Oh God I can't look' performance.

I just hope that they haven't shot the actual series yet (I think they have) and they'll learn from each episode they make and it's audience opinion, and keep a better controlled, restrained and judged, piece of acting.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby colonel_lugz on Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:54 pm

I have to dissagree el capitain, i though david tenant made a very good first impression, he displayed moments of sheer comedic value complimented with moment which felt purely sadistic, i think he has a real nasty streak which will be great to see develop in the upcoming series. I was worried when he first appeared at the end of the last series but my fears were honestly laid to rest with his performance the other night
You Called Down The Thunder, Well Now You Got It!
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:14 pm

True, there are dark and sinister sides shown by the Doc, which I liked to see there. If that was developed more I'd be very excited to see it. It's, it's just the way that all these great characteristics were played out though.

So cringeful and OTT. This guy needs restraint. Contain and compress all that energy right down into a real tight display of acting, then you may have a winner.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby colonel_lugz on Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:19 pm

I think the OTT moments were a way of showing that the new doctor hadn't harnessed his emotions and characteristics, and there was an imbalance within him. I understand that it comes across as something as a pantomime at times but i feel that could be forgiven, giving the point that was being made
You Called Down The Thunder, Well Now You Got It!
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Shane on Thu Dec 29, 2005 7:04 pm

The doctor has always been a little off after regenerating. Colin Baker about tryed to kill his companion.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Thu Dec 29, 2005 7:14 pm

Was that that sweet 'n' sexy brunette girl who was always wearing that brown skimpy outfit? She was real cute. Especially when she got intot trouble with some nasty plants in the forest.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Shane on Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:06 pm

are you talking about the one dressed like a cave woman or something, or the one with the colorful bikini tops, and mid-drifts with alot of cleevage.
Shane
AIRWOLF

PreviousNext

Return to Coaxial