Monkey is Funky He Never Stops!

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Who was your favourite Monkey character

Monkey
56%
Pigsy
33%
Sandy
No votes
Tripitaka
No votes
King Kong (Monkey's older brother)
11%

Total votes : 9

Monkey is Funky He Never Stops!

Postby Seppuku on Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:54 am

This is a topic celebrating my favourite program of all time, the untouchable MONKEY (!!!). In some parts known as Monkey Magic.

I first read the book, by Wu Ch'eng-En, when I was about six. It was an illustrated children's version, but it still wowed me away off my feet.

And then this beautiful program came along. Pigsy, Monkey, Tripitaka and Sandy were all brought to life in this Japanese slice of madness.

From the Brilliant theme tune to the "banged together in the garden shed" not-so-special effects, everything about this program reeks of Day-Glo genius.

Fellow Monkey Followers, come on this pilgrimage through this thread with me...
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Seppuku on Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:15 am

And I think this program also was one of those rare cases where a Comedy Dub actually worked.

You gotta hate it when you're watching some Hong Kong film about an elderly woman dying of cancer, and for some reason it's dubbed to sound like everybody's over-dosing on Prozac.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby magicmonkey on Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:38 am

Heh, great thread. Monkey is based on the travels of a real life wandering monk called Tang SanZhang. There are loads of Chinese versions of the tale that are always on t.v here. The make-up is better, but I have difficulties knowing what they are actually saying... My girlfirend is obsessed though with the original 80's Chinese series, which is called Xi You Ji, named after the book title and translates as Journey to the West.

Me I love the monkey. He's a cheeky little chap, an everyman who want to have some fun. Who realises that he has responsabilties too. All whilst kicking some mean demon butt, or helping little boys with toothache by shrinking into their tooth and putting dentists out of business. Yeah, I remember that episode 'cos I've got toothache right now and I don't fancy the look of some of these Chinese dentists.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Seppuku on Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:57 am

magicmonkey wrote: Or helping little boys with toothache by shrinking into their tooth and putting dentists out of business.

Agreed, Monkey was the kind of guy who liked to take the long way round- always getting up to antics like swallowing the Universe just to prove a point.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby magicmonkey on Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:21 am

If the dude can swallow a Universe I know just the thread where he might kick some butt... You, see there is an X-men v's Jedi thread here and it turns out that Pheonix can eat suns, a pretty formidable talent.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Seppuku on Sun Dec 11, 2005 6:27 am

If my idea of writing a screenplay about Busta Rhymes' life history (The Life and Times of Busta Rhymes) doesn't pan-out, I'll just have to vent myself creatively by doing a terrible techno remix of Monkey Magic. You know it could work in an It's So Shit But I Can't Stop Playing It sort of way.

Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Shane on Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:29 am

What is Monkey?
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby Doc Holliday on Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:48 am

Shane wrote:What is Monkey?

:shock: :shock: :shock:

For all your Monkey 101 facts...http://www.ewtoo.org/~matt/monkey/chars.htm
"I think the worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades..."

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Doc Holliday on Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:52 am

Pigsy. Every single time.

His catchphrase? "Look! A Woman!"

His mode of transport? A cloud with drop handlebars

His weapon: A Muck Rake. Thats right, I said "Muck Rake".

His abilities number, amongst others, the inability to woo a single female.

His Loves were food, food, food, girls, food, girls and his friends.
"I think the worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades..."

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MonkeyM666 on Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:49 am

Oh my.... how on earth did I miss this thread????!?!?

Monkey... I mean come on, the cloud (that can have red barron style machine guns pop out the front) and his staff he stole from the gods! He's the man!
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:03 am

I love the pilot ep - when he screams "I love to FIIIIGHT!"

He is indeed the man, although I must point out that the title of this thread is not a lyric from the song - it's a common mistake, and one I made all my life until about 6 years ago, when I was listening to the theme tune loud on my stereo (I'm not ashamed - it is a piece of disco brilliance) - and me and a friend realised that the actual line is "The funkiest monkey that ever popped"

I kid you not.
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MonkeyM666 on Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:06 am

No you don't... I didn't realise that until just then!!!!

Born from an egg on a mountain top
The punkiest monkey that ever popped
He knew every magic trick under the sun
To tease the Gods
And everyone and have some fun

Monkey magic, Monkey magic (repeat 4 times)

What a cocky saucy monkey this one is
All the Gods were angered
And they punished him
Until he was saved by a kindly priest
And that was the start
Of their pilgrimage west

With a little bit of monkey magic
There'll be fireworks tonight
With a little bit of monkey magic
Every thing will be all right

Born from an egg on a mountain top
The punkiest monkey that ever popped
He knew every magic trick under the sun
To tease the Gods
And everyone and have some fun

What a cocky saucy monkey this one is That's a new custom rank if I ever did read one.
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Doc Holliday on Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:22 am

I loved that in the pilot episode Monkey takes on Buddha and goes to what he thinks is the end of the universe, finds five pillars (or was it four) and immediately relieves himself on them - only to find out they were Buddhas fingers (i guess meaning Buddha's reach spans the whole universe).

But I'm sticking with Pigsy - that dude rocked. I liked his own backstory even more than Monkey's - that he was this skilled and in many ways honourable sergeant-at-arms - who just had a weakness for food and the ladies.

I preferred Season 1 Pigsy - as played by Toshiyuki Nishida (no offense Tonpei). It was many years later that I found out Nishida went on to become quite a prolific actor - certainly in Asia. I saw two of his movies flying to Oz - one was something like "Fisherman Stories 8" in which he played the boss of "Mediocre Salary Man" - and the other was the story of how VHS came into being and its war against Betamax - the latter in particular was an excellent film.
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MonkeyM666 on Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:29 am

I never saw any of the films, but I do hear you on Pigsy's lady pulling power. And, as I was a little studly kid, I identified with him and his large apatite.

I didn't realise that the pillar ep was the pilot. For some reason I always thought that was the last ep. Back home they never, EVER, played the full series of Monkey.... they always pittered out somewhere after the lake and the wise man mountain eps. (I think it was the second lake up, but it was a while ago)
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:32 am

Tripitaka just confused the shit out of me - Man that dude was one hot chick!
Last edited by tapehead on Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby MonkeyM666 on Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:32 am

I always use to wonder if it was a guy or a girl.... I always said girl, but some of my friends at the time were adamant it was a dude.
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Doc Holliday on Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:38 am

MonkeyM666 wrote:I always use to wonder if it was a guy or a girl.... I always said girl, but some of my friends at the time were adamant it was a dude.

Oh man - you so have to take those self same friends to Thailand, then just sit back and wait for the Begbie-esque fallout :lol:
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MonkeyM666 on Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:42 am

I'm sure that they're already members of an AFL footy team and they've had that experience on they're end of year trip.

Lots of young Aussie fellas seem to have vague recollections of some sort of he-she entanglements. :)

Not me, noooo… not me, I wasn’t there at the time…… your honour…
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:48 am

I really liked the dragon/horse character that was in the show for a while, but I got so many laughs out of Pigsy, I had to vote for him.

ThisIsTheGirl wrote:I love the pilot ep - when he screams "I love to FIIIIGHT!"

He is indeed the man, although I must point out that the title of this thread is not a lyric from the song - it's a common mistake, and one I made all my life until about 6 years ago, when I was listening to the theme tune loud on my stereo (I'm not ashamed - it is a piece of disco brilliance) - and me and a friend realised that the actual line is "The funkiest monkey that ever popped"

I kid you not.

Does that mean you have this?
http://tinyurl.com/2hdu73
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby tapehead on Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:20 am

There's also a slightly different version of the lyrics here:

http://tinyurl.com/yrakwe

song and samples can be downloaded elsewhere on the link, inluding Pigsy's theme, 'fool'.

I could have sworn he was the 'funkiest', and this one says I'm right!

This show has a huge cult status in Australia - just a few years ago it was being played on the national public broadacaster every Saturday morning.
Last edited by tapehead on Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby MonkeyM666 on Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:22 am

It was good.... I have no idea what the Lyrics are now. I always thought that it was funkiest, but it's been so long I can't remember.

Did they ever actually finish the series over there?

I always wanted to know what happened in the end. (I've know the myth, so I know... but I don't know... if you know what I mean....)
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Return to Coaxial