BBC Murder Mysteries

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

BBC Murder Mysteries

Postby Neya on Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:36 am

Not sure how it happened, but i got on this huge murder/mystery kick and have been wringing Netflix dry over the last couple months with it, but I am running out of shows though and need suggestions. Ive been through the entire Poirot series and Prime Suspect series. Im halfway through all the Midsomer Murders, but Im kinda getting tired of them, they all seem to have the same formula and tie up so nice and neat, after watching something so procedural and realistic as Prime Suspect Im having a hard time wrapping my head around something like Midsomer Murders or the Poirot stuff again.

Anyone got any suggestions on other shows like this to pick up? A friend told me about one called Cracker with Robbie "Hagrid" Coltrane to check out, but after it, Im dry.
~Tonight I go as a Nemesis bearing just and blazingly cataclysmic vengance.~

I bake a good pie too.
Neya
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby magicmonkey on Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:39 am

Inspector Morse is great, starring John Thaw. ITV Detective Drama.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby wharto on Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:42 am

Not really a crime drama per se, but if you can dig out a series called State Of Play starring David Morrisey, John Simm and Bill Nighy, it is well worth a watch.
wharto
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Seppuku on Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:45 am

David "Dangermouse" Jason's A Touch of Frost is always watchable.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby wharto on Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:47 am

I could never get into Frost (fnar), not really a program I enjoyed.
Waking The Dead is watchable, as will be the new Rebus series starring Ken Stott.
wharto
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby magicmonkey on Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:49 am

seppukudkurosawa wrote:David "Dangermouse" Jason's A Touch of Frost is always watchable.

Would definately second this, after Morse of course. David Jason is great in it.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Neya on Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:52 am

David "Dangermouse" Jason's A Touch of Frost is always watchable.

Now that you've mentioned that I remember a friend did recommend that series to me but it slipped my mind. Ill have to queue that up.

Thanks for the suggestions, neftlix probably thanks you too.

I bake a good pie too.
Neya
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:05 am

Can I add to the chorus of MORSE!!!! Feature-length episodes, usually very well written, acted and directed - a must see if you like whodunnits.

And there are about a million seasons of Poirot, you probably have some more of them to plough through....
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby wharto on Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:09 am

The spin off of Morse, Lewis is on ITV soon, could be worth a watch, Kevin Whately is a good actor.
wharto
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Shane on Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:27 am

ThisIsTheGirl wrote:Can I add to the chorus of MORSE!!!! Feature-length episodes, usually very well written, acted and directed - a must see if you like whodunnits.

And there are about a million seasons of Poirot, you probably have some more of them to plough through....

I agree on Morse he is cool
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby Agent Alonzo on Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:51 am

Cracker is superb, Fitz is one of the best written and acted characters in the history of British TV.
Make sure you get the British version, not the inane American remake. And watch them through in order, they peak in season 2, but the back stories are worth following to the end.
There is stuff that you have to be British to get, the best episode is called 'To be a somebody' and its sheer power lies upon really understand the place and the incidents referenced.
That said, it is certainly accessible by all, and I just love a show that has the balls to makes its focal point a character who is obese, borderline alcoholic, addicted to gambling, has an eye for the ladies and is downright rude to anyone he considers unworthy intellectually, which is just about everyone.
alonzo..... my apologies you ho-bag! - banthafodderUK

...that was the funniest post I've ever read at AICN. Comedy gold. I'm stealing it and shooting it in nothing other than a static two-shot. - Kevin Smith
Agent Alonzo
UMAGAA OMBONGO

Postby wharto on Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:55 am

Agent Alonzo, was To Be Somebody the one with Robert Caryle in??
They are filming more cracker at the moment.
wharto
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Neya on Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:08 am

Cracker is superb, Fitz is one of the best written and acted characters in the history of British TV.
Make sure you get the British version, not the inane American remake.

Heh, I learned long ago that if it's an american remake of a british show, get the british version. I also tend to steer away from bbc america or brit shows on A&E due to the extra editing and cutting so they can squeeze in the quota of commercials for american tv.

I did read that there seems to be another season/series of Cracker episodes in production, may need to make that next on my viewing list to take it all in before new episodes start popping up.

I bake a good pie too.
Neya
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby goodfeets on Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:00 pm

I don't know if netflix carries it but the A&E Nero Wolfe series from a couple of years ago is awsome, and fairly faithful to the Rex Stout books.
goodfeets
GLIB

Postby TonyWilson on Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:07 pm

I'll second Cracker and Nero Wolfe, try Messiah with Ken Stott but only the first 2 mini seires.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:21 pm

No love a for a the Touching Evil series? Goddamn I like a those...
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby TonyWilson on Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:24 pm

Ah great call Dino, even though I hate Robson Green and his "I'll pepper my performance with twitches and ticks so it looks like I'm A C T I N G"
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:54 pm

wharto wrote:The spin off of Morse, Lewis is on ITV soon, could be worth a watch, Kevin Whately is a good actor.

I could see that working actually - is Colin Dexter involved at all?

If so, I see no reason why Lewis couldn't run for another 20 years....

And of course, it would be amusing to see Lewis gradually get bored of lager and move on to fine wine!
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Neya on Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:39 pm

I loves me some Nero Wolfe. Got both the box sets from A&E and was really upset when production stopped on it. I got this username from a Nero Wolfe mystery actually, the episode/book about his supposed daughter coming to find him for help.

Touching Evil Im unsure of, this is one series I did watch the american version of, but only because I had no idea there was a Brit version until the season was over. The US version wasnt bad, but then again, I didnt have the original to compare it too. Was real moody and dark, and sometimes hard to follow. That or i was paying more attention to the pc than the tv.

I bake a good pie too.
Neya
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Agent Alonzo on Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:23 am

wharto wrote:Agent Alonzo, was To Be Somebody the one with Robert Caryle in??

Yes, that is the one...
alonzo..... my apologies you ho-bag! - banthafodderUK

...that was the funniest post I've ever read at AICN. Comedy gold. I'm stealing it and shooting it in nothing other than a static two-shot. - Kevin Smith
Agent Alonzo
UMAGAA OMBONGO

Postby wharto on Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:22 am

It was a well written episode, Caryle did the most passable scouse accent ever from a non scouser.
wharto
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby colonel_lugz on Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:26 am

Hustle is good, but thats on the side of the criminals (dunno if thats what you want?) and Spooks i am really getting into, its about MI5 and government surveilance and all that jazz
You Called Down The Thunder, Well Now You Got It!
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Neya on Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:00 am

I loved Spooks, but stopped my watching with season 2. May be the differences between viewing on this and that side of the pond, but I grow so attached to my characters and have a hard time adjusting to new ones when the old ones Ive grown to love poof on me.

Not to mention the stories in season 3 seemed to get a little wonky.

I bake a good pie too.
Neya
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby dark wesley on Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:27 pm

well season 4 was pretty good, ill be the first to say that after tom quinn walked, it thought it would be tough to love spooks again, but season 3 and 4 was really good, it took its time getting back to its best but it surprised me, especially those end of season cliff hangers! and i like a programme where you know that the characters can and will be killed. it gives it a pretty good edge
i wish my middle name was tiberius.
dark wesley
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby asphyx on Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:55 pm

there is a great series of tv-movies called "murder rooms", starring ian richardson and charles edwards (robin laing in the pilot). it's about arthur conan doyle solving mysterious crimes with the help of his old college prof. the real a. c. doyle was, of course, the inventor of sherlock holmes, so you can guess where this is going...

which reminds me: why has noone ever done a movie version of mark frost's "The List of 7"? Amazing book that would make a fantastic movie in the right hands!
"Look at my tongue! It's wearing a yellow sock!"
asphyx
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Return to Coaxial