The Future of TV?

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

The Future of TV?

Postby Ribbons on Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:13 pm

Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Shane on Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:17 pm

If I paid per channel I would get rid of most of my channels.

I don't watch most of them anyways.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby Neya on Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:19 pm

I read something on this a couple weeks back and think it's a wonderful idea, but not sure what the cable companies think of it. Like Shane, I know id can most of my channels. Think i get somewhere around 80 channels and probably watch less than 15 different ones at any given time.

I think what will end up happening is you have to buy blocks of channels, say 5 or 10 at a time, and you pick what five go into the block. There's no way that the cable companies will make as much money on a per channel basis.
~Tonight I go as a Nemesis bearing just and blazingly cataclysmic vengance.~

I bake a good pie too.
Neya
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby magicmonkey on Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:49 pm

I kinda studied this kind of thing for my degree. Its interesting when channels and whole broadcasting institutions try and target niche markets. It can be both a good and bad thing, whereby people get to watch the kinda thing they want to watch and thus advertising revenues can come from specifically targetted products for this market group.

A potential bad side of this is that it turns a mass media product into disparate elements. What was once a shared viewing experience with a broad range of audiences having their own interpretations and viewpoints is now being stifled. Instead of coming together it is being diversified and seperated. Seperating people further, and not bringing them together.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby PodBayDoor on Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:04 am

Have fun paying as much for 15-20 channels as you currently pay for 150, suckers.

Also, hope you never want to see another cable channel launched, because the likelihood of it happening will drop to next to nothing.
PodBayDoor
GLIB

Postby magicmonkey on Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:10 am

I believes its Rupert Murdochs golden rule of;

Give the public what they are willing to pay for.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Pops Freshenmeyer on Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:38 am

I'd create a sub-topic if I could, this doesn't warrant its own thread, but those damn "bugs" are getting on my nerves. The animated graphics at the bottom corner of the screen that pop up advertising shows on the network or saying things like "congratulations to Jason Lee on his Golden Globe nomination." Will we ever get just a plain old frame without any distractions?

It's really annoying. You know that guy that posted 6000 studio executive email addresses online? Well because of him, it's easier to complain to the powers that be. How many angry emails to Bob Wright, head of G.E. which owns NBC/Universal, would it take for...him to change his email addy? How many angry emails to the proper person would it take to get those graphic "bugs" removed?

I don't know what I was doing watching My Name is Earl anyway.
Pops Freshenmeyer
REAL DRAGON

Re: The Future of TV?

Postby TheButcher on Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:14 am

Netflix's Original Content VP on Development Plans, Pilots, Late-Night and Rival HBO (Q&A)
In a rare interview, Cindy Holland talks to THR about Netflix viewer habits, why men watch "Orange Is the New Black" with women, which genres she wants to tackle and what factors would lead to a show's cancellation.
Lacey Rose wrote:As viewers began bingeing on Orange Is the New Black's second season June 6, Netflix's head of original content, Cindy Holland, was pursuing her other passion: cycling. Holland, 45, was riding about 85 miles a day from San Francisco to Los Angeles as part of AIDS/LifeCycle, which raised a record $15 million for groups including the L.A. LGBT Center, an organization near and dear to the Nebraska native.

Seated in her Beverly Hills office a few days later, the 12-year Netflix veteran likened the ride, which she has done seven times, to the process of building the streaming company to 48 million subscribers worldwide. "It seems unachievable, but it's really about planning and believing you can do it," she says. During recent years, Holland, a straight shooter who oversees 16 employees and a growing portion of Netflix's $3 billion programming budget, has been tasked with building the company's original series business, which began in early 2011 with a $100 million, 26-episode bet on House of Cards. A revival of Arrested Development, the horror-themed Hemlock Grove and Jenji Kohan's prison dramedy Orange followed.

Now, the Stanford alum, who began her career in feature development at Spring Creek Productions, is readying her next batch of originals from creators including the Wachowskis (Sense8) and Friends co-creator Marta Kauffman (Grace and Frankie). During a rare interview with THR, she opened up about Netflix viewer habits, the company's development plans and why men watch Orange with women.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: The Future of TV?

Postby TheButcher on Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:08 am

Sony to Launch Web TV Service PlayStation Vue, Unveils Content Partners
t will launch with 75 networks from the likes of Viacom, CBS, Fox, NBCUniversal and Discovery and vows to "reinvent" the TV experience
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Return to Coaxial