24: Seasons 1 to 5 (w/ Punky Power!)

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

24: Seasons 1 to 5 (w/ Punky Power!)

Postby DirtyRatBastard on Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:54 pm

24 is the finest hour of television around right now, seconded only by Boston Legal, but apparently the AFI isn't ready to sing the praises of Denny Crane.

Bastards.
Last edited by DirtyRatBastard on Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:50 am, edited 4 times in total.
They hate you because they wish they could have seen half the things you have...
DirtyRatBastard
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby MasterWhedon on Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:22 pm

DirtyRatBastard wrote:24 is the finest hour of television around right now, seconded only by Boston Legal, but apparently the AFI isn't ready to sing the praises of Denny Crane.

24 frustrates the hell out of me.

It frustrates me for how often is settles for mediocrity when it could push a little harder for greatness. All of Season One was brilliant, as was most of Season Two. But somewhere toward the end, and into the other two, it became so friggin' redundant.

You get one, maybe two cool moments an episode, but you can always feel them plotting out how to get to the next hour, how to give the big jolt at the end that'll hook you to next week.

I think they let the real-time become a hinderance... and then sometimes they just ignore it completely!!! (Ever notice how right before a commercial break, something will blow up, then right after--all of 3, maybe 4 show minutes have passed--fire trucks, ambulances, etc. will already have the scene under control?)

And Jesus, do they recycle enough plot elements on that show or what?! How many moles can you have in an elite government organization like CTU? How many different ways can we bring back the same handful of characters to show up and do next to nothing?

24 and Smallville do this to me. They trod along without much of anything truly compelling happening, then they give you one jolt that energizes you until the next jolt. To me, that's only mediocre, which the entire fourth season of 24 was.
Last edited by MasterWhedon on Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby DirtyRatBastard on Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:29 pm

As far as I am concerned, 24 has pushed the envelope in terms of suspense, ball busting action, and everything else inbetween.

Season 3's killing of Ryan Chappelle was about as insane as a television show will ever take you, and hey, who knows what the hell will happen next.

Next to Jim Rockford, Jack Bauer is the greatest character Television has ever produced.
They hate you because they wish they could have seen half the things you have...
DirtyRatBastard
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Ribbons on Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:29 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:How many moles can you have in an elite government organization like CTU?

I think that's my biggest problem with the show. I've accepted at this point that Jack Bauer will have a lot of bad days, but there are just so. many. moles. It's ridonculous.

I have to admit I didn't expect them to kill Chappelle in Season 3. That was pretty intense. And I think part of the reason I like the show so much is that you get the sense that the writers are flying on the seat of their pants, but it couldn't hurt to plot a couple of things out in advance. There's gotta be some way to avoid the "is s/he a traitor?" intrigue.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:40 pm

heh.

I've always wanted a 24 Thread.

agree the Chappelle comment, disagree (as usual) with M_W.

SPOILERS

I like the jolts, that's what I watch the show for!

Season 4 gave us a trainwreck, nuclear reactor meltdowns, Air Force One being shot down, a stolen nuclear warhead (I'm only upto ep.20), an incompetent President (Logan...worst...president...EVER! When you make Buchanan look good, ya got issues), Chloe goin' Commando, Edgar losing his moms, a raid on the Chinese Embassy...

more JOLT! Caffeinate/captivate me some more 24!
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MasterWhedon on Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:42 pm

The Chappelle thing was cool, as was the bit with Michelle shooting that guy in the hotel. But those great moments are surrounded by a great deal of blah.

And Ribbons, absolutely right. I accept a show like Prison Break as being ludicrous from word one, but 24 presents itself as being so much more "real world". This could be happening right now and you wouldn't even know it!!

Also, as a HUGE West Wing fan, I am appalled at the show's complete cowardice in dealing with anything relating to politics. I know the show isn't supposed to be political, but when you're dealing with the President of the United States, you need to at least have the balls to declare which party he's a member of. ESPECIALLY WHEN HE'S RUNNING FOR ELECTION--TWICE!! It frustrates me that Palmer and Co.'s speech always felt like they were discussing the concept rather than the thing itself. (It's something of a nit pick, I know, but I have great difficulty watching sub-par handling of the Presidency on TV or film after the West Wing.)
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby DirtyRatBastard on Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:33 pm

Hey, I will be the first to say that there are some implausible things happening on 24, but goddamn, I have to say they know how to capture the tension.

For the record, I have not watched a season unfold since the first, because I prefer to take it all in a weekend dose, which may give off a different reaction than having to wait a week at a time.

24 redefines the word intense, because it is not afraid to do the things that hour long dramas arent supposed to do.

All I can say is that I want more...and more...and more.
DirtyRatBastard
MONKEY BUTLER

24... meh

Postby tfrogger27 on Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:42 pm

24 hasn't done it for me since the end of season 2. I agree that seasons 3 and 4 had their high points, but you could really tell that they were just making it all up as they went along, whereas seasons 1 & 2 at least had the illusion of being planned out in advance.

Season 4 just seemed WAY too implausible with all of the shit that was going down. Like the terrorists were going to have a backup plan in case the meltdown of the country's power plants didn't work out? Whatever.

I still love this show and have high hopes for season 5... I hope that this is the year that 24 returns to its former glory.
tfrogger27
GLIB

Postby DirtyRatBastard on Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:50 pm

rumors abound that this is the season Bauer buys the farm.
DirtyRatBastard
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Crayotic Rockwell on Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:25 pm

All I can say is that thank god Kim Bauer wasn't a part of season 4.. that alone was enough to put it above season 3 and 1 (couldn't stand Terri either)

The issue I have with 24 is that in the past they seem to have trouble writing likable characters, and it's not really until they pop their head up in the following season to clean up shop that you really get into them (which is a kinda cheap trick, but okay i'll bite).

I also REALLY had problems with them going from the end of season 2 which hinted at a much larger organization behind the terrorist attcks and Palmers stink palm, and then just washed it all away like "oh forget about it." I understand that the upcoming game is set between s2 and s3, but that's not really good enough for me.

If you're into your conspiracy theories, the constant propaganda on 24 is always fun to spot though

Regardless of all that, 24 is still the most compelling piece of television about on network television for me
The Anime Stock Exchange for all your anime tripe
Crayotic Rockwell
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby ONeillSG1 on Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:33 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:The Chappelle thing was cool, as was the bit with Michelle shooting that guy in the hotel. But those great moments are surrounded by a great deal of blah.

And Ribbons, absolutely right. I accept a show like Prison Break as being ludicrous from word one, but 24 presents itself as being so much more "real world". This could be happening right now and you wouldn't even know it!!

Also, as a HUGE West Wing fan, I am appalled at the show's complete cowardice in dealing with anything relating to politics. I know the show isn't supposed to be political, but when you're dealing with the President of the United States, you need to at least have the balls to declare which party he's a member of. ESPECIALLY WHEN HE'S RUNNING FOR ELECTION--TWICE!! It frustrates me that Palmer and Co.'s speech always felt like they were discussing the concept rather than the thing itself. (It's something of a nit pick, I know, but I have great difficulty watching sub-par handling of the Presidency on TV or film after the West Wing.)

I thought Bartlett was a Democrat. I could have sworn they mentioned it in an interview recently, saying that they wanted to end the show with Santos in office, or namely someone who was the same party as Bartlett to show his principle will carry on despite his illness.

I could be wrong, it has happened in the past, but I remember hearing something like that.

BTW, Totally off-topic: Anyone else love CHIPOTLE?!?! MY GOD IT OWNS MY INTESTINES!!!
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby DirtyRatBastard on Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:09 pm

Anyone who doesn't know by now that Bartlett is a democrat has been living under a rock, or just hasn't been watching the show very much...

Although, as a liberal, I am sort of disappointed that there won't be another season of The West Wing to document just how well/poor Arnold Vinick would do in office...but I digress.
DirtyRatBastard
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby -guyinthebackrow on Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:23 pm

Has anyone bought the new DVD set with the 10 minute movie funded by Toyota? I need a description!
Danny: Dad?
Jack: Yes?
Danny: Do you like this hotel?
Jack: Yes. I do. I love it. Don't you?
-guyinthebackrow
GLIB

Postby Vegeta on Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:35 pm

I think that losing Kim Bauer's character (no matter how hot she is) was probably the best thing they could of done. She became beyond tedious. My brother and I used to call it the "weekly trials of Kim Bauer".
Also, my brother and I came up with a good description you can use in everyday life regarding Jack kicking ass and making the hard decisions.

"GOING JACK"
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Crayotic Rockwell on Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:22 pm

so "Going Kim" is when you make completely irrational and stupid decisions i presume?
Crayotic Rockwell
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:36 am

Crayotic Rockwell wrote:so "Going Kim" is when you make completely irrational and stupid decisions i presume?

IPAMPILASH!
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Agent Alonzo on Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:59 am

-guyinthebackrow wrote:Has anyone bought the new DVD set with the 10 minute movie funded by Toyota? I need a description!

I haven't bought it, I own the other three, and will probably grab it next time DDD has a 20% off sale... I did however, ahem, find a copy of the ten minute short...

***Spoilers of the short ahead.***

Essentially it is a car chase, that proves a Toyota is better than a BMW. In no way related is the fact that the short was sponsored by Toyota.
Jack is in Chicago, and meets up with Chloe. Jack has developed a mullet and is wearing a very grungy sweatshirt. He looks homeless, despite that he drives a brand new Toyota. Chloe has obviously tarted herself up for her meeting with her long time stalking interest. She warns him that someone has broken into the computer and found out she altered his autopsy report. In other words some unknown group is fully aware that Jack is alive. He now has to get out of Chicago. She also reveals that Kim believes her father is dead.
Chloe leaves, and Jack dumps his cell phone into a trashcan. Bad guys turn up, car chase ensues.
The End...
alonzo..... my apologies you ho-bag! - banthafodderUK

...that was the funniest post I've ever read at AICN. Comedy gold. I'm stealing it and shooting it in nothing other than a static two-shot. - Kevin Smith
Agent Alonzo
UMAGAA OMBONGO

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Dec 15, 2005 2:12 am

Mary Lynn keeps getting better lookin' with age.

Gotta give her some sort of acknowledgement, seeing how she's dated both Jon Brion and David Cross. Both of 'em aint' lookers, but dating one of the finest composers/producers today and the king of hipster comedy?

I bet she's a wildcat in the sack.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Crayotic Rockwell on Thu Dec 15, 2005 3:26 am

Yeh y'know, she is kinda funny looking and seems to have a constant look of constipation on her face, but i can't lie; she is kinda hot and has grown on me.. she's actually one of my favourite 24 staples now

Still, I dunno if those Mr. Show DVDs was what really warmed me to her tho.. coz I had pretty much written her off after Veronica's Closet
Crayotic Rockwell
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Thu Dec 15, 2005 3:44 am

DirtyRatBastard wrote:Anyone who doesn't know by now that Bartlett is a democrat has been living under a rock, or just hasn't been watching the show very much...

Although, as a liberal, I am sort of disappointed that there won't be another season of The West Wing to document just how well/poor Arnold Vinick would do in office...but I digress.

I think you guys misunderstood Whedon's post. He was complaining that they never say whether PALMER was a democrat or republican, not that it was unclear whether BARTLETT was a dem in West Wing. I think everyone's clear on Bartlett's status.

***POSSIBLE SPOILERS****
Vinick's not going to win, is he? Every spoiler I've read seems to indicate Santos will win, but I haven't read anything for a while.
*****END SPOILERS******

Sorry for the thread jacking here.

I can't wait for the next season of 24!
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby Agent Alonzo on Thu Dec 15, 2005 3:59 am

They do say in Season 1, when he was the Democratic senator from Maryland. During one of her pep talks Sherry says (paraphrased) 'You are going to win, you will have enough delegates by 8pm, you are the Democratic nominee for President whether you want to be or not...'

...that was the funniest post I've ever read at AICN. Comedy gold. I'm stealing it and shooting it in nothing other than a static two-shot. - Kevin Smith
Agent Alonzo
UMAGAA OMBONGO

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:11 am

Agent Alonzo wrote:They do say in Season 1, when he was the Democratic senator from Maryland. During one of her pep talks Sherry says (paraphrased) 'You are going to win, you will have enough delegates by 8pm, you are the Democratic nominee for President whether you want to be or not...'

That's right! It's been ages since I've seen Season 1, I might have to rewatch it on DVD. The best season for a fantastic show.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby Ribbons on Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:24 pm

Okay, so I just finished watching Season 4 on DVD.

Ummm..... what happened to Behrooz? Did they like kill him and I just didn't notice?
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Agent Alonzo on Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:57 pm

It is a deleted scene on that DVD, you tell us...

Agent Alonzo
UMAGAA OMBONGO

Postby Ribbons on Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:55 am

Deleted scenes?! Oh snap, I knew I forgot something!
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby The Wrong Guy on Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:23 am

I don't mind 24 but The Shield OWNS 24's ass. And it don't need no -24-hour-real-time-what-the-goddamn-hell-happens-i n-all-those-ad-breaks-gimmick thing to beat it, either.

Vic Mackey would kick the shit out of pansy-ass Jack Bauer.
The Wrong Guy
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby MadCapsule on Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:49 pm

Hmmm. . . I dunno. Vic never ran up a wall to break a dude's neck. . . after being clinically dead.

They're both badasses. I think it would be kinda cool to have Jack chasing some terrorist past an alleyway and have a glimpse of Vic in the alley with his pistol in some guys face.

Season 1 of 24 had what I still feel is one of the lamest moments of the entire series: Terri getting amnesia. I actually stopped watching season 1 after that happened and hadn't finished watching it until about a year ago when I bought the DVD's.
MadCapsule
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby burlivesleftnut on Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:54 pm

Hello? Ribbons?

Give us some Berhooooooooz love, please. I really want to know what happened to the putz. Is he still circling LA in the back of a minivan?
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby burlivesleftnut on Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:55 pm

MadCapsule wrote:...Terri getting amnesia. I actually stopped watching season 1 after that happened and hadn't finished watching it until about a year ago when I bought the DVD's.

I still watched, but that was wicked stupid.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Icarus on Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:19 pm

Its great TV... Season One shook things up and was genuinely innovative, not just in format, but also character stereotypes and was very good at wrong-footing you. Not sure about springing "The real bad guy" on you until two or three episodes from the end...but thats being really really petty. Season Two was my personal fave....not least of all beacuse of Hectors hilarious non-stop GURN, that lasted about 10 episodes - longest running gurn on prime-time TV - check the record books if you like. Season 3 started to lose the plot a bit I thought - still great TV, but felt more PULP-Y to me taken as a whole....though without a shadow of a doubt the Chappelle Incident as a stand alone piece was the best they've come up with out of all four seasons. Still enjoyed season four...but felt they lost their way there a bit......I hated Edgar, which didn't help. Didn't buy into Chloe shooting someone and handling the firearm as well as she did. Nah, still don't get it. Tony as a bum however and the fact the main antagonist was in from the start (and was The Mummy - sorry, Arnold Vosloo) saved it from being crap...but they need to recapture some of the former tight writing and keep it from being so Pulp next time. William DeVane though! Bring him back and you'll have taken the first good step IMO (and I say that as someone who loathed Phenom)
"I flew too close to the sun and if I had my time over I'd do it again"
Icarus
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Ribbons on Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:37 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:Hello? Ribbons?

Give us some Berhooooooooz love, please. I really want to know what happened to the putz. Is he still circling LA in the back of a minivan?

I'll watch the deleted scenes tonight and report back with the (possibly grisly) findings.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Ribbons on Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:29 pm

Okay. What happened was that Behrooz was taken to some warehouse by two guys who worked for Marwan, where they planned to shoot him and transport his body somewhere to be disposed of. Chloe tracked the van that drove him there and Curtis (accompanied by some faceless CTU agent) busted in and saved the day right before Behrooz was shot, pumping the chests of his would-be assassins full of hot lead. They cut the scene(s) involving his rescue because they thought that the setting of the attempted murder looked too much like the place where Marwan had held Jack hostage, and apparently they thought that particular coincidence raised too many irrelevant questions that would hinder the viewing experience. So they resolved to just mention Behrooz's rescue in passing at CTU. Which they did, with an exchange of dialogue between Chloe and Edgar (and a quick shot of Behroooooz being escorted somewhere by a gaggle of guards), but then that scene was cut as well, for time constraints. So, there ya go. Behrooz was rescued from certain death by Curtis and brought back to CTU until they could figure out where to send him.
Last edited by Ribbons on Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby austenandrews on Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:34 pm

Interesting. Though of course, since they didn't air the scenes they can take the character wherever they want in the future. Or just leave him hanging, like the 1,001 other loose threads from the series. :)
austenandrews
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby DirtyRatBastard on Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:20 am

There are Rumors floating about that Behrooz will make some sort of appearance this season, which, makes sense since this season will be chock full of appearances from cast members from all Five seasons.

Hopefully, and I mean this would just be awesome and serve as Television's Most Out of Control Moment...But how amazingly insane would it be if an irradiated, Zombified, Superhuman George Mason were to crawl out of the desert...crazy for blood...and only Jack Bauer could stop him.

Yeah, I wouldn't be the only one shitting my pants with glee.
DirtyRatBastard
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:09 am

i coughed out my burrito ilash!!!

really, before one posts something that funny, there should be some kind of warning before it...chewed cheese ain't easy to get off a keyboard.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DirtyRatBastard on Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:36 am

Look, I feel that Zombies on 24 would be necessary to kick it up to the next level.

If CSI can have Werewolves...24 can have Zombies, solidifiying Bauer as a superhero.

Although, I am not sure that Zombie rampage would fall under the purview of CTU
DirtyRatBastard
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:40 am

what Jack should really look out for is a resurrected Ryan Chappelle.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DirtyRatBastard on Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:45 am

Ryan Chappelle is not eligible for resurrected zombie or ghoul status, seeing as he was shot in the head, effectively destroying his brain.

Bauer was also smart enough to shoot Nina Myers in the head as well, so there will be no Nina rising from the grave either.

With George Mason, we see him go into the desert, but we see no body...why? Because he was atomized, but since he was pumped full of Plutonium to begin with, the added dose of atomic energy only galvanized him, and only made the transformation to superhuman beast possible.
DirtyRatBastard
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:10 am

is that a hard written rule, that the cause of death being serious head trauma will exclude one from rising from the grave?

i mean, we can all agree that it's the preferred method of zombie disposal, but I need the judges for this one...
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DirtyRatBastard on Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:13 am

I think that you will find that most will say that head trauma will prevent the conversion from corpse to Zombie.

This will also exclude Habib Marwan from rising from the grave as well.
DirtyRatBastard
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:29 pm

Herc has posted his, uh... whatever.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby cap on Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:09 pm

Tick.... Tick..... Tick....

Can't wait. Really looking forward to this tonight. It shall be very entertaining. Finally something on TV that is watchable again.

And by the way Vegeta...." Going Jack"...... priceless

Ambition - The journey of a thousand miles sometimes ends very, very badly
cap
AIRWOLF

Postby DirtyRatBastard on Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:12 pm

Jack Bauer will show us just how much he owns our asses in less than 7 hours.

And it's going to be awesome.
DirtyRatBastard
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby DennisMM on Sun Jan 15, 2006 4:04 pm

24 lost me in the third season, when I grew tired of the climax at the end of each episode. This is not a program that is going to draw in viewers after a handful of eps each season. You either have a strong feel for what's happened, or a friend catches you up. Given this, why not have a strong emotional climax or moment at the end of a few episodes? I know 24 is action/thriller TV, but please!
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sun Jan 15, 2006 6:33 pm

PUSSY!
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby DennisMM on Sun Jan 15, 2006 6:37 pm

You say that like it's a bad thing. Oh, wait, you're ... that way.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby tapehead on Sun Jan 15, 2006 6:37 pm

loved the first two seasons, after that meh, it seemed like it became a formula
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby DirtyRatBastard on Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:06 pm

Punky Power...you all lack it in your lives.
DirtyRatBastard
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:08 pm

NOT ME! I've got it like a fever!
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby DirtyRatBastard on Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:31 pm

NO! NO! NO!!!!

This is fucking bullshit!

I hope to fuck that this show hasnt shot its load in the first 10 minutes of the season!
DirtyRatBastard
MONKEY BUTLER

Next

Return to Coaxial