24: Seasons 1 to 5 (w/ Punky Power!)

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Postby Starks on Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:12 pm

Just a warning to people here that are wary of "24" spoilers - The first 4 episodes of season 6 that were sent out for the press to review have found their way onto certain parts of the 'net for public consumption. Best to stay away from IMDB as spoilers will be flying thick and fast within a few hours.
Starks
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby brabs on Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:32 am

Starks wrote:Just a warning to people here that are wary of "24" spoilers - The first 4 episodes of season 6 that were sent out for the press to review have found their way onto certain parts of the 'net for public consumption. Best to stay away from IMDB as spoilers will be flying thick and fast within a few hours.

I hear that a dvd of the 4 hr season premiere plus the first 15 mins or so of ep.5 will be released on the tuesday after the premiere airs. Rumour has it that one of these dvd's has been intercepted and it's now on the interweb.

Anyone have the stones?
brabs
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Bean on Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:36 am

I just watched the first episode of next week's 24! It's on torrent sites, it's only the first episode, not the first four.

It. is. INCREDIBLE!

I'm not going into any spoilers, but the last few minutes with Jack Bauer is the greatest 24 moment ever. EVER!

And guess who is a guest star?

KUMAR!!

If anyone wants to know more I'll be happy to spill here!
Bean
AIRWOLF

Postby topaz4206 on Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:24 am

I agree episode 6x01 was fantastic, not as exciting in general as most Season openers of 24, especially S5's which may never be topped.

Btw check again, 6x02 - 6x04 are now available as well.

Go Jack!
topaz4206
GLIB

Postby topaz4206 on Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:54 am

After seeing 6x02 i have an addendum (no spoilers):

- Kal Penn is supposed to be in High School? He looks 35!

- Chloe's new look is fan-fucking-tasic! I never imagined a day when she'd be the hottest girl on the show.

- 24's always been topical, that's true, but this is the first time I've felt an agenda sticking its salty fingers into the back of my throat and poking repeatedly. They really go over the top in Ep. 2, with some people going into 2-minute soliloquies about civil rights that sound like campaign commercials. And this comes from someone that actually agrees with the points they're making.

- The latina-playing-a-muslim member of CTU has so much makeup she looks like she's made of adobe.

- Did I mention I want to impregnate Chloe?

- Anally?
topaz4206
GLIB

Postby ONeillSG1 on Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:49 pm

Bean wrote:I just watched the first episode of next week's 24! It's on torrent sites, it's only the first episode, not the first four.

It. is. INCREDIBLE!

I'm not going into any spoilers, but the last few minutes with Jack Bauer is the greatest 24 moment ever. EVER!

KUMAR!!

HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE? HOW?
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby Bean on Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:33 pm

ONeillSG1 wrote:
Bean wrote:I just watched the first episode of next week's 24! It's on torrent sites, it's only the first episode, not the first four.

It. is. INCREDIBLE!

KUMAR!!

HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE? HOW?

I believe it's 24 Season 5 that's coming out on DVD next week, it has the first four episodes of the new season on it. Someone got an early copy and put it on Bit Torrent!
Bean
AIRWOLF

Postby topaz4206 on Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:57 pm

It's a promotional DVD that wil go on sale the Tuesday immediately following the premiere.

You can preorder it on many sites for $12.99
topaz4206
GLIB

Postby Evil Hobbit on Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:08 pm

The first 4 episodes are all over the place right now and it is extremely realy kicking your ass of spectacular. The ending of episode 4 is realy devastating! :shock: It is all a bit more sci fi orientated in a children of men kind of atmosphere, but not realy. It's odd and effective satirical.
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Postby Stemjsim on Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:36 pm

Just watched the first episode at my brothers and fucking hell, could be an interesting season.
Stemjsim
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Quiet Storm on Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:01 pm

Loved Jack going all Lost Boys on fools. But I really like who Jack teams up with. They should make a sitcom starring the white, black, and brown Jack Bauer.

I wonder how people will react to this more realistic, wounded Jack. I like it by the way.
Quiet Storm
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby mistertim on Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:51 pm

Best. Cameo. Evah.

Just seen the first episode so far, but here are my thoughts:
SPOILERS BELOW

Did anyone know that Stephen Merchant was going to pop up in this episode?... awesome stuff. The casting of both Stephen Tobolowsky (Sammy Jankiss from Memento) and Peter MacNicol (The gimp-ish one from Ally MacBeal) was inspired, IMO. Although Ray Wise in series 5 trumps any special guest star they could possibly ever pull out of their hats....

It's a very promising start, and this could shape up to be one of the best series, I reckon. They're not pulling any punches with the storyline and it looks like the 'political' element to the story is going to be far more disssenting in terms of point of view than any of the other series. It seems pretty obvious the series is heading off in a very new direction.

However, why did they have to brush the Jack-being-in-a-chinese-jail cliffhanger aside like that? I think the two year gap between series might be it's only real downfall so far, meaning that the cliffhanger from s5 was glossed over, and leading to some really shoddy and overly-verbose dialogue in the first half, while they set the scene - the phone conversation that was meant to inform us that Bill and Karen are now a couple was particularly excrutiating in it's lack of subtlety, as was the continual 'the president's sacrificing an awful lot to get you back' comments when Jack's getting off the plane. However, overall, awesome stuff.
"That's why they sent me I am an expert."
mistertim
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby TonyWilson on Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:15 pm

Just about to watch episode 1. I'm really really looking forward to it, season 5 won me over last year, before that I'd only watched season 1 way back when it was first broadcast but I soon got bored with it being obviously made up as it went along. Season 5 shafted me in the end but I'm here, back for more. It's battered wife syndrome all over again.

Please be good.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby ONeillSG1 on Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:24 pm

TonyWilson wrote:Just about to watch episode 1. I'm really really looking forward to it, season 5 won me over last year, before that I'd only watched season 1 way back when it was first broadcast but I soon got bored with it being obviously made up as it went along. Season 5 shafted me in the end but I'm here, back for more. It's battered wife syndrome all over again.

Please be good.

I am with you in the whole battered wife thing. There are always going to be somethings about 24 that will make you scratch your head, but they are overwhelmed by the number of times you pump your fist in the air and yell "Jack Bauer, baby!!"

So, I guess I'm ready to "fall" down the flight of stairs again. You too, eh, Tony?
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Postby TonyWilson on Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:04 pm

Hahahahaha, yeh I walked in to a door!!
That was a cool 40 minutes, I don't think it's going to be a huge change in format like some were saying but hopefully it will keep up this dark tone for the rest of the season.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby Starks on Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:21 pm

I'll keep this relatively Spoiler Free:

First impressions were that season 6 was suffering the same problems as seasons 4 & 5. The writers are out of ideas and are simply covering old ground once again. CTU interpersonal bullshit preventing people from doing their Jobs - Check. The President's family stirring up shit and generally being a pain in the ass - Check. A Presidential adviser constantly at odds with and undermining the President - Check. Jack Bauer going "Rogue" and off grid - Check. The only initial highlights were Kieffer returning to his "Lost Boys" roots, a terrorist plot that is far more "low-tech", practical and realistic, and Jack showing the effects of being tortured for years in China - not dismissing them by the time episode 2 starts.

Unfortunately the show seems alot more "preachy" then previous seasons. Sure in past seasons they have explored current issues and dilemmas facing the world, but in these early episodes it seems far more forced and unnatural to the characters.

Best addition to the cast this season is Alexander Siddig (Kingdom of Heaven, Syriana). I'm pleased they didn't make his character a one dimensional villain like Marwan or Vladimir Bierko. He has brought a depth to his character in a short amount of time - hopefully he will be around for the long haul.

I was skeptical that this season might be traveling down the same well worn, predictable, cliched path as Seasons 4 & 5 - which I rate as the two weakest seasons so far (my order goes 1,3,2,5,4 for those wondering).

The final 10 minutes of 4th hour blows those notions out the window. This episode reminds me of previous high points such as the season 1 finale, the attack on CTU early in season 2 and the prison break episode and Chappel's death in season 3. There appears to be a clear predetermined plan and direction for season 6 at work - less making it up as they go - and for the first time in years I'm anxious to know what is going to happen next, cause I damn sure can't predict it. This setup has given "24" more potential then the program has shown in years.

Jack is back indeed.
Starks
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby so sorry on Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:23 pm

hey guys, I started a Season 6 thread so that this season 5 thread can die a proper death.

Bring the new talk on over...
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby ONeillSG1 on Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:34 pm

CAN I GET A SHUTDOWN, DJ DAN STYLE?!?!

ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Postby Vegeta on Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:44 am

This thread is soooooooooooo Season Five... :roll:

LOCKING! :evil:
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Ribbons on Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:59 am

I don't the we T3H L0CK old season threads. The only show that's been split up into different threads for different seasons so far is "Lost," I think, so I guess there's not a whole lot of precedent, but I'm pretty sure the Season 2 thread is still open for discussion.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Vegeta on Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:03 am

F!@# "LOST"!

THIS is TEH "24"!
:D :twisted: :D :twisted: :wink:
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:05 am

I believe that maybe we are trying to overthink this...a first for teh Zone :wink:

I personally like new threads for new seasons, but I don't really think we need to lock the old.

That's just me though, I'm waiting to hear from the other mods...
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Previous

Return to Coaxial