24: Seasons 1 to 5 (w/ Punky Power!)

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:41 am

DocBosch wrote:Dark Horizons has a bit about 24 possibly taking place in Boston, DC and New York next season: http://www.darkhorizons.com/news06/060617a.php

But the part that got my attention was:

Producers have also confirmed that, much like the second season's last minute cliffhanger, next season will skip ahead and likely bring up only in mention the cliffhanger the fifth season finished on.

What the hell is that? What was the point of bringing back the Chinese plot at the last minute, if they're just going to ignore it next season? Are they just going to have Jack go "Hey, remember when i was kidnapped and tortured by the Chinese for three months? Wasn't that great? Good times!"

I'm with you there DocB. What the hell is that? I love 24 but the way they glossed over the second season cliffhanger was one of the great cop-outs in television history. I really hope they don't do it again. I realize they can't do 4 eps of Jack in a Chinese prison, but at the very least there had better be some consequences more severe than "hey remember when I was in a chinese prison and then I got out?" At least start the season with some sort of unofficial prisoner exchange or something?!
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby RogueScribner on Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:42 am

Shit, I was really hoping they'd break out of the box next season, but I guess it'll be more of the same. We'll cut to Jack 6 months later or some shit recovering from the mental trauma of being tortured by the Chinese for a few months until a bunch of Navy SEALs or some crap military group saved him.

*sigh*
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby DocBosch on Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:55 am

Lord Voldemoo wrote: At least start the season with some sort of unofficial prisoner exchange or something?!

I don't even want that. If they were going to end season 5 with the Chinese kidnapping Jack, then I want season 6 to deal with the Chinese kidnapping Jack. If not, then don't have the Chinese kidnap Jack.

It's like having Season 2 of Lost be "Oh, so we've opened the hatch. Lets not go down there though."

Then again, maybe they're saving it for the movie...
DocBosch
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby RogueScribner on Mon Jun 19, 2006 5:08 am

Next season of 24 could have been about Jack's rescue from the Chinese. The first few eps could have been Jack being tortured while we cut back to the States to see a rescue attempt being mounted (pulling military forces in the region natch, since it would take most of the season for anyone to actually travel from the States to China). Midseason we see Jack escape on his own, the result of a months-in-the-making plan, so when his rescuers arrive, they can't find him. Jack hides in the mountains or some shit while the American military tries avoid an international incident by being in China's borders. I don't know. Something could have been done, ending up with China threatening war but Jack saves the day in the end.

What is this bullshit about the whole kidnapping being ancient history when the season starts? Jeebus!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Starks on Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:01 am

My guess is the Chinese are going to reprogram Jack as a sleeper agent. Perhaps the day will start with Bauer taking out a high ranking US official, then waking up 15 minutes later with no idea of what has occured. As the Chinese said at the end of the episode: "Kill you? You're far to valuable to kill Mr. Bauer!"
Starks
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Petri on Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:23 am

DocBosch wrote:Dark Horizons has a bit about 24 possibly taking place in Boston, DC and New York next season: http://www.darkhorizons.com/news06/060617a.php

Why won't they shoot 24 in Houston? Jack could fight smog and heavy traffic! A whole weeks episode could be Jack sitting in traffic and at the very end you see him scream "Fuck people! Do we have to all have to slow down to look at the wreck?!?! DAMMIT!
Petri
REAL DRAGON

Postby RaulMonkey on Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:59 am

RogueScribner wrote:Next season of 24 could have been about Jack's rescue from the Chinese. The first few eps could have been Jack being tortured while we cut back to the States to see a rescue attempt being mounted (pulling military forces in the region natch, since it would take most of the season for anyone to actually travel from the States to China). Midseason we see Jack escape on his own, the result of a months-in-the-making plan, so when his rescuers arrive, they can't find him. Jack hides in the mountains or some shit while the American military tries avoid an international incident by being in China's borders. I don't know. Something could have been done, ending up with China threatening war but Jack saves the day in the end.

What is this bullshit about the whole kidnapping being ancient history when the season starts? Jeebus!

Exactly. That's what I was figuring season 6 would be about. Grrrr! His kidnapping better play heavily into the events of season 6.

And at least MasterWhedon and those of a like mind won't be called on their promise to quit watching if it's still in L.A.
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby The Vicar on Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:40 am

If they want a real gobsmacker opening, like last season, they truly do need to start with Jack getting broke out of a Chinese Hellhole, preferrably by Curtis, Wayne, Chloe & Aaron Pierce.
A prisoner exchange would be a snore.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby Spartan on Sun Jul 02, 2006 4:42 pm

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/review/story/0,,1810430,00.html

I think next season is going to be about Jack evading the Chinese.

"So Bauer will be around for a little while longer. The projected movie version of 24, if it happens, will be filmed after the sixth series, 'but that won't be in real time,' he adds reassuringly, and explains that season six will take a slightly different turn. 'We've had five years of him saving a large thing; this one's much more about him saving his own ass. He'll go from being the one who hunts people down to the one who's being hunted, so that in itself turns the show around.'"
Spartan
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby RogueScribner on Sun Jul 02, 2006 4:56 pm

Okay, let's try to correlate what Spartan posted with what DocBosh posted.

The series will not pick up where this past season left off. It'll skip ahead some months presumably. But then it'll still be a Jack on the run story, so I figure the season will open somewhere outside of L.A., but not in China, and we'll see Jack kill some guys on a boat in Hawaii or something as he desperately tries to make his way back home. The first half of the season will be spent following Jack and flashbacking to his torture until finally he's rescued, but then there's some sort of international incident they have to defuse because of Jack's escape (and killing of Chinese hostiles) and basically CTU has to prevent a war from breaking out.

I think I lost it somewhere in the middle there, but I think for sure we won't be stuck in L.A. all season, which is good.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Spartan on Sun Jul 02, 2006 5:04 pm

That sounds like a solid theory RogueS. What's Punky Power?
Spartan
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby RogueScribner on Sun Jul 02, 2006 5:06 pm

Punky power is another way of speaking about Jack's Punky Power!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Spartan on Sun Jul 02, 2006 5:08 pm

Punky Power? Hmm I guess that's a good word for it. Super Lethal Killing machine would be another way to put though. :D
Spartan
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby brabs on Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:11 pm

What's all this I've been reading about next season (or part of it) being shot in London???

GREAT season by the way. Deserves it's 12 Emmy noms.
brabs
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:12 pm

From ComingSoon.Net...

ComingSoon.Net wrote:We had the great pleasure of meeting with both Kim Raver and Jon Cassar earlier this month while they were at the Monte-Carlo TV festival and here are some excerpts of what they told us regarding both 24 season 6 and the movie:

Kim Raver
Q: Are you coming back in season 6 since you're also one of the leading characters in the new The Nine series next year?
A: We've talked about it with Kiefer and we have a couple of options so that Audrey, my character, should appear in season 6 while I'll be shooting The Nine [.] we'll see if it's possible to do both at the same time. Furthermore, I would also very much like to be part of the upcoming movie.

Jon Cassar
Q: Are you planning another 10 minutes video link between season 5 and 6?
A: That's not a 100% sure right now but yes, we're planning to do so, especially to solve out how Jack came back from China because if you had to show it in the series, it would be at least a 15 hours flight and that would be pretty boring to watch (laughs).

Q: What about the rumours of season 6 being shot in New York?
A: Honestly, I have now idea where this one came out from. All I can say is that we're starting the preps mid-July in L.A. and that's where we're going to shoot. Right now the screenwriters are working on the script and nothing is a 100% sure but if anything should happen in NY in the upcoming season, we would probably fake it in L.A. [.] In the past seasons, Jack always tried to prevent terrorists attacks but in season 6, one of the idea that we might picked up would be that these attacks already occurred at the very beginning of the season. What would be the situation if something like 10 nuclear bombs had already exploded in a raw all around the country?

Q: Are you going to direct 24 the movie?
A: Nothing is a 100% sure right now but yes, I'm the upfront director for the job [.] our goal is to get the whole crew working on the series involved in this movie. We don't want to give it to a director who's never done a single episode of the show. As for the actors, the only one I can confirm is a 100% sure right now is Kiefer (laughs).

"...especially to solve out how Jack came back from China..."

FUCK YOU, 24!!

I was thinking about giving you another chance at the beginning of the season to see if you'd do something cool with Jack being held captive, but the fact that you're simpy going to free him from such an incredible situation like that OFF SCREEN means you deserve the biggest FUCK YOU I can possibly muster.

This is a bullshit, bullshit, bullshit decision. This show is dead to me.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby The Vicar on Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:32 pm

Is this on the level?
They'd better rethink that idea.
Incredibly effed up.
The Vicar

Postby Spartan on Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:42 pm

Yeh ok I can see why you guys are pissed off with it. But the idea about it being set after major attacks have plunged the country into chaos is pretty cool and will give the show a new dimension.

Oh and they shouldn't do a 10 minute clip of how he escapes the Chinese, just reference it in series 6, a few nods to Bauer and the team doing something absolutely amazing to rescue him. Then, have the movie being about his escape as you don't have to do it in real time.
Spartan
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:54 pm

I'm actually pissed at the show for about 8 million reasons, this is just the one that'll get me to stop watching.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby The Vicar on Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:59 pm

I remember a character in a Harlan Ellison storycomplaining about an author he'd read in his youth, whose hero was trapped at the bottom of a pit with a number of deadly beasts, chained to the wall & wounded, seemingly doomed.

When the next issue came out, the guy raced to the store, bought it, ripped it open and read this:

"With one mighty leap, Lance Lionmayne freed himself from the pit......"

The reader couldn't get over the feeling of what a rotten cheat the author had been.

Same writer seems to be working for 24 now.
Rotten bastard.
The Vicar

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:03 pm

RogueScribner wrote:There once was a girl from CTU
Whose face was always slightly askew
She'd do you a favor
But then say "Whatever"
Before you could even say "Thank you"

HA! just caught that, but I only like dirty limericks...
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby buster00 on Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:12 pm

Whedon is just pissed off because his family was killed by Jack Bauer.

Dude, they gave their lives for their country. It was complicated, but in the end, you have to respect Jack Bauer's decision to bump 'em off. He knew what he was doing. He saved all of us that day.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby austenandrews on Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:03 pm

I have to say, Post Apocolypse Bauer would be way cooler than Chinese Bitch Bauer.
austenandrews
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby Spartan on Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:08 pm

austenandrews wrote:I have to say, Post Apocolypse Bauer would be way cooler than Chinese Bitch Bauer.

Mmm, yeh I think that's probably true, I can see why others are pissed off with it though - 24 never really follows anything up. But surely making the movie all about his escape would be the way to go, a bigger budget, exotic locations, no real time constraints that they don't use anyway, plus making references in season 6 to some huge, ball breakingly badass escape would ramp up expectation.
Spartan
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:41 pm

austenandrews wrote:I have to say, Post Apocolypse Bauer would be way cooler than Chinese Bitch Bauer.

all of your mutations belong to the Jack Sack!
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Selecter on Sat Jul 22, 2006 6:02 am

What else?

Not that I dislike DB Woodside or anything, but I didn't buy him as a high school principal on Buffy, so the leap to POTUS is even bigger.

"Honestly, I have now idea where this one came out from"

It comes from your fans who are getting a bit tired of seeing the same formula over and over again. You'd be well advised to implement it, even if you have to fake it. At least mix it up some, like the post-attack scenario.
The Selecter
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby The Vicar on Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:40 pm

Does DB lack the "Punky Power" to be Prez?
Seems like a stretch to me, but then again, it puts someone in the White House who would play "Let's Make a Deal" with the Chinese over Jack, so I suppose it's convenient from a plot standpoint.

I would have expected Sec o Def Heller to be Prez.
The Vicar

Postby MasterWhedon on Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:43 pm

The Vicar wrote:I remember a character in a Harlan Ellison storycomplaining about an author he'd read in his youth, whose hero was trapped at the bottom of a pit with a number of deadly beasts, chained to the wall & wounded, seemingly doomed.

When the next issue came out, the guy raced to the store, bought it, ripped it open and read this:

"With one mighty leap, Lance Lionmayne freed himself from the pit......"

The reader couldn't get over the feeling of what a rotten cheat the author had been.

Same writer seems to be working for 24 now.
Rotten bastard.

I missed this before, but it sums up my thoughts EXACTLY.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Crayotic Rockwell on Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:04 am

Just to beat a dead horse:

Sutherland said next season of 24 won't pick up immediately where season five left off, with Bauer in the hold of a cargo ship bound for China. Rather, it will take place more than a year later.

This tactic was used by the show once before. In the cliff-hanger ending to season two, President Palmer was the target of an assassination attempt--when the show returned for season three, time had passed and the assassination attempt was a distant memory.

This is fucking ridiculous. It wasn't cool when they skipped the attempted assassination on Palmer and villian working from the shadows and followed it up with a tepid third season about some ponce in a turtleneck. And it sure as hell ain't fucking cool now.

They saving this storyline for another crappy PC game instead? What's the deal?

I mean, okay yeah, you can do this kinda swerve and get away with it. Sure. But only if you're going to deliver something better than the promise of what you teased fans with originally.

And for my money, Jack escaping China with minimal CTU help > Jack doing some old shit in America with a bunch of satelite uplinks.

It's like at the end of season 5 they said "and next season, we're giving you all a billion dollars!" and then at the start of season 6 they skip forwards, give Jack a beard, and say "actually, we're giving you a hundred dollars, but it's still awesome!"

This is all going on the blind faith that the next season isn't going to be that revolutionary, but I'm willing to make book on that risk. What's the odds they don't even mention those Illuminati/NWO type guys from season 5 again either?

As a thought, maybe Fox decided one prison break on their network was enough :)
The Anime Stock Exchange for all your anime tripe
Crayotic Rockwell
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby The Vicar on Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:23 pm

Or maybe they want to pick up Jack after he's been through this ordeal, and examine how its changed him & how that affects the next 24 crisis.
The Vicar

Postby The Vicar on Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:20 am

24 & Keifer gets their Emmys.

About bloody time.
Take that Desparate Housewives, Greys Anatomy & Lost.
The Vicar

Postby austenandrews on Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:22 am

I thought it had already won before?

I dunno, I don't keep up with that stuff.
Gordian Algebra, my new webcomic
austenandrews
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby The Vicar on Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:42 pm

austenandrews wrote:I thought it had already won before?

I don't think it ever did....lemme check...
The Vicar

Postby buster00 on Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:14 pm

The Vicar wrote:
austenandrews wrote:I thought it had already won before?

I don't think it ever did....lemme check...

They have retroactively awarded all Emmys ever to Jack Bauer.

This weekend, he's accepting the Lifetime Achievement Award at the MTV VMAs.

Next year, expect Oscar, Tony, and Grammy sweeps for Jack Bauer.

He will celebrate by waving a gun in your general vicinity, in the name of national security. He may or may not kill you. I would be ready just in case.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby cap on Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:26 pm

The Vicar wrote:24 & Keifer gets their Emmys.

About bloody time.
Take that Desparate Housewives, Greys Anatomy & Lost.

Agreed. Even though I think some of the previous seasons were far better, I look at it as a lifetime achievement thing (although it is still in progress).

Ambition - The journey of a thousand miles sometimes ends very, very badly
cap
AIRWOLF

Postby The Vicar on Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:57 am

Yeah, that's the way things go in TVland.
I'd prefer that to the Emmys never honoring someone deserving at all.
The Vicar

Postby cap on Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:22 pm

I think the whole process of Hollywood patting itself on the back, and telling itself how great it is, is nothing less than vomit inducing.

That is why I pay very little attention to all of these things.

cap
AIRWOLF

Postby austenandrews on Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:27 pm

Eh, nothing wrong with an industry recognizing its own. The only difference is that people know and love media stars, so the awards themselves become almost more of a spectacle than the actual material being recognized.
austenandrews
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby cap on Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:31 pm

Prepare to pummel.....

Is there going to be a preview for next season in this season's box set, as there was the previous few years.

cap
AIRWOLF

Postby The Vicar on Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:53 pm

Nuts.
Tried to find out.
No soap.

It would be nice...and since they've done it once, it seems reasonable that they'd do it again.
The Vicar

Postby Ribbons on Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:18 pm

James Cromwell and Eddie Izzard to get their Punky Power on in "24"?! The press release from Fox...
Oscar- and Emmy-nominated actor James Cromwell (Babe, "Six Feet Under") and Emmy Award-winning actor Eddie Izzard ("Dress to Kill," My Super Ex-Girlfriend) join the Season 6 cast of "24." The clock for "Day Six" will begin to tick in January, Mondays (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) on Fox.

The highly respected Cromwell will recur this season as Phillip Bauer, the estranged father of Jack Bauer (Kiefer Sutherland), while British actor-comedian Izzard will portray a villainous accomplice, Darren McCarthy. In addition to Cromwell and Izzard, newcomers joining the pulse-pounding thriller include Kal Penn (Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle), Marisol Nichols ("In Justice"), Alexander Siddig (Syriana) and Harry Lennix ("Commander in Chief"). Eric Balfour and Carlo Rota will reprise their respective roles as CTU contractors Milo Pressman and Morris O'Brian.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TonyWilson on Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:49 am

Eddie Izzard? That's awesome.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby Ribbons on Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:52 am

James Cromwell is a formidable actor, but... as cheesy as it sounds, why didn't they just ask Donald Sutherland to play Jack Bauer's dad on the show?

Maybe Kiefer didn't want pops to see him get gnoshed and tackle Christmas trees...?

Glibness aside, acting alongside your dad for an entire season probably would be rather awkward. Especially if you went barhopping and engaged in drunken shenanigans from time to time. I just like the idea for its continuity, so to speak.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby The Vicar on Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:21 pm

Ah, Chloe's ex hubby will be returning.
Interesting opportunity.

I wonder if they even considered asking Donald, who was after all doing network TV with Commander in Chief.

Then again, that experience probably put him right off tv work forever.
The Vicar

Postby tcovil on Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:47 pm

There was a great site last year devoted to 24. Extremely active and closely moderated. I can't find it now. It was an invisionfree.com forum and was called The 24 Insider. Does anybody know what happened to it?
tcovil
GLIB

Postby The Vicar on Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:01 pm

Mole blew the shit out of the place.
Like we've never seen that one before...
The Vicar

Postby tylerfulltilt on Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:03 pm

if anyone is interested target currently has the first season on sale for only 18.99.

I picked it up for 8 bucks after a ten dollar gift card i won at work.
tylerlizenby.wordpress.com

Wherein I attempt to say thing about movies I've seen.
tylerfulltilt
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby austenandrews on Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:58 pm

James Cromwell as Papa Bauer? Very interesting. Is he also a badass?
austenandrews
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby cap on Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:59 pm

He has played both sides of the fence, pretty effectively.

It should be interesting regardless.

cap
AIRWOLF

Postby funkly on Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:00 pm

Hey all new to these forums, but hope to be a contributor.. I notice quite a bit of haters in here.. I am not a hater, I love 24... look forward to breaking some big news for y'all!!
http://24podcast.net The FIRST & best podcast on the hot show show 24! My name is Joe & I like 24!
funkly
GLIB

Postby austenandrews on Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:21 pm

funkly wrote:Hey all new to these forums, but hope to be a contributor.. I notice quite a bit of haters in here.. I am not a hater, I love 24... look forward to breaking some big news for y'all!!

Cool We're all ears.
austenandrews
SUSAN CAGLE

PreviousNext

Return to Coaxial