THE SHIELD (Spoilers)

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Postby GeraldLaz on Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:24 pm

Did ya ever think that the writers of the show are purposely trying to change our feelings towards Vic and the strike team?

Everyone loved Lem, and he gets iced by Shane. What a dirty thing to do.

Guess what.....these guys are dirty, filthy, rotten guys with guns and badges. Kavanaugh is a total ass but guess what....he didnt kill Terry or rob the Money train.

These guys are the WORST and yet we still root for them every week (I know I do)

I'm thinkin that Shawn Ryan is gonna make next year the last and its all about the downfall of Vic and the team. Killing Lem puts the whole team in a negative light and has us rooting against Shane and Vic instead of for them. How many shows actually have Evil winning over good?

He set the stage this season with Lem's death. Did Vic green light it with shane? There were some strange looks between the two of them when they were waiting for Lem that night.

Im just saying its a possibility. A TV show that has you rooting for the bad guys decides to close out the show with the good guys winning, our heroes being exposed as the criminals they are, and all of us getting to watch great TV.
GeraldLaz
GLIB

Postby RogueScribner on Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:18 pm

No way Vic was in on Lem's murder. It was a decision made by Shane to cover his ass. If Vic weren't truly broken up about it, he wouldn't have attacked Kavanaugh in front of a bunch of other cops, including his captain. Vic was going crazy inside his head over Lem's death. Those strange looks you speak of was just Shane looking shifty while Vic was praying for Lem to show up.

If it turns out Vic was in the know, the show is over for me. Vic may be a bad cop, but he is loyal. He is all about family. He killed Terry to protect the Strike Team. As far as he was concerned, the Strike Team would stand together or Vic would take the heat himself to protect the other guys. I believe he was sincere in this statement. Vic isn't EVIL, he's just a guy who's let himself get a little too dirty while trying to take care of his own.

I'm not making excuses for Vic. He certainly deserves a prison sentence after all he's done. But Vic isn't a monster. He's still a man with a heart. He was loyal to Lem and the rest of the Strike Team. Shane, when all is said and done, is a coward and he is physically unable to take a stand on anything. Vic isn't. That's why Shane lured Lem away and killed him. He knew Vic would never agree to it. But Shane felt it had to be done to save himself and the other guys from ending up in jail.

Unfortunately, if Vic never offed Terry, Shane may not have had the guts to off Lem. Shane idolizes Vic and when the truth is exposed, Shane will probably end up dead (or at least severely beaten), but afterwards, Vic isn't going to see Shane's face when he recalls Lem's death: he's going to see his own.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby The Selecter on Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:43 am

I also briefly questioned whether Shane was secretly commissioned to off Lem, but after it played out, it was obvious he was just acting alone. Lucky for him Kavanaugh only had enough manpower for two tails, eh?

The thing is, Shane aspires to Vic, but he's too stupid to pull it off. Last season was the perfect illustration of that when he got squeezed by Antwoine "lick my balls" Mitchell and had to have Vic bail him out. Prior to that, it didn't take Vic two seconds to figure out that his wife took out Tavon with an iron when they brawled. Cletus Van Damme, etc.

We'll see how things play out, and whether the writers use the clock they set up at the beginning of the season with the early retirement the brass are forcing on Vic. He's got three or four months of Shield Time left if they follow through.

Ryan says he already has ideas of how he wants things to end. But over the life of the series, he's been amenable to change if a better solution comes along.

Oh, and one last thought on all this who should die/go to jail, etc.

Acevada used Antwoine to get rid of his little "problem." He actually carried out a threat analogous to the one that Kavanaugh was making. Does Acevada deserve to die, too?
The Selecter
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby bigtroyjon on Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:06 am

Acevada doesn't deserve to die. If a dude orally rapes me you better belive he is gonna get shanked. I just rewatched the pilot on Spike last night where Acevada lets Vic beat the shit out of the pedophile. Acevada has a pretty long laundry list too.
bigtroyjon
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby The Selecter on Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:22 am

The Shield just won a Peabody:

The Shield FX

Riveting, densely layered adult entertainment – and more. No cop series has posed harder questions than “The Shieldâ€
The Selecter
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby The Selecter on Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:46 am

Unfortunate news:

Scott Brazil (producer/director) has passed:

http://www.zap2it.com/tv/news/zap-shieldproducerdies,0,2633185.story?coll=zap-news-headlines

Also, I tend to avoid spoilers for shows I really like, but I did read that we might not have seen the last of Kavanaugh, even though the stories at the time said Forest Whitaker was only signed for the first half of the "season."
The Selecter
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby John-Locke on Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:18 am

Damn, thats too bad. Well at least he left his mark on the World, The Shield has changed TV Dramas forever (hopefully).
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby The Selecter on Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:00 am

Yes!

Ausiello Report (TV Guide)

Major Shield News

The Shield has been greenlit for a sixth season. No one at FX will confirm, but very reliable sources say series creator Shawn Ryan has decided there's enough creative juice left to carry on for one more season. The show is currently in production on Season 5's final 10 episodes, slated to debut in early '07.
The Selecter
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby John-Locke on Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:54 am

John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:30 pm

At least 2 more seasons of The Shield!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best news I've heard in awhile. I love this show with the heat of a thousand suns.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby RogueScribner on Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:33 am

I love this show, but I can't fathom where they'll go after this season.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:41 am

RogueScribner wrote:I love this show, but I can't fathom where they'll go after this season.

I've been kinda figuring this would be it as well, but I'm glad it's not. I have no idea where they will go for Season 6, but they've earned the benefit of the doubt. They haven't dropped the ball yet, no reason they will have jumped the shark by season 6.
Lord Voldemoo

Postby The Selecter on Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:58 am

Shawn Ryan has said he knows how he wants it to end. As LV says, he deserves the benefit of the doubt.

Since they have been afforded more time, I do hope that they address some of the longstanding plot points.

Mackey/Bauer 2008!
The Selecter
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby RogueScribner on Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:49 am

Do you think that Dutch flirting with killing thing will ever amount to anything?
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby John-Locke on Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:07 am

RogueScribner wrote:Do you think that Dutch flirting with killing thing will ever amount to anything?

I think he may have moved past that now, I still hope they have him turn cold blooded killer but after he learnt that trick from the pimp I think he may just become a controlling deutschbag.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby RogueScribner on Sun Jun 18, 2006 6:40 pm

Yeah, I forgot about that pimp thing. Pimpmaster Dutch! Aw yeah!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby The Selecter on Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:45 am

Dutch's cat choking episode is one thing the show's fans often wonder about. If Ryan pays any attention at all, and it seems like he does, I think he could address it. Or maybe not.

Clifton Collins Jr. has joined the cast. As opposed to Jack in Thief, he will play for the other team on the Shield.
The Selecter
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby rhaps0dy on Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:11 am

I'm not sure if this is the main shield section, but it was the only one i could find! Anyways, do people know when the new season of the shield is back in '07?? Also is that gonna be a new series or is it gonna be series 5?? Either way can't wait this show is awesome, plus i just wanna state that i def don't want vic to go down! Shane perhaps although i will be gutted, although vic is a just a guy with fluctuating morals..one moment i think his been alittle harsh the next i think there wouldn't be any other officer i'd want to solve a case!!
"All happy families resemble one another, each unhappy family is unhappy in its own way.."
rhaps0dy
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby RogueScribner on Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:39 pm

There are only two possible endings for Vic: he either beats the system and comes out smelling like roses in the end or he'll go out like Scarface.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby rhaps0dy on Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:41 pm

hmm, both would be pretty sweet, i'd rather he beats the system, although, perhaps if he were to go out like scarface i wouldn't mind the ending being alittle more like butch and sundances last stand!
"All happy families resemble one another, each unhappy family is unhappy in its own way.."
rhaps0dy
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby The Wrong Guy on Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:13 am

I hope Vic gets run over by a truck. That would be hi-larious! :D

Either that, or he's crushed by an anvil. Or a grand piano.
The Wrong Guy
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Strabo on Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:48 pm

The Shield is set to return on April 3rd. See the news here.

This thread better get a friggin' sticky. :)
There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Strabo
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:15 am

That's right, it's back bitches!!

The Shield Season 6 Premieres on FX Tuesday, April 3.

Kavanaugh is back, Lem is dead, Shane must deal with the consequences of his handy grenade work (or not), Claudette is captain, Dutch remains a danger to cats everywhere, and of course Vic must try to keep everyone from getting busted and/or killed. Buckle your seatbelts.

Here's the episode description for the season premiere, On The Jones, from TV.com: POSSIBLE MILD SPOILERISH MATERIAL:

With the Barn grieving over the loss of one of their own, Vic quest to find his friends' killer puts him in the crosshairs of Kavanaugh. Things don't seem to go smoothly for Claudette as she attempt to get settled into her new role as Captain. Ronnie and Vic begin to worry about Shane's unusual behavior. Meanwhile, Dutch and Billings investigate a mass murder in San Marcos.

This thread is now stickified.
Lord Voldemoo

Postby Doc Holliday on Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:31 am

Hurrah - Season Three finally gets a UK DVD release! It comes out this month.

Um - so yeah...I'm behind the rest of you, just a little. :oops:
"I think the worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades..."

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Selecter on Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:57 am

Dutch partnered with Billings!

Hell, this season, even the undercard is going to be good.
The Selecter
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:24 pm

Season premiere is tonight on FX.

Capone has a nice write-up on the premiere on the main page.

BEWARE SOME MILD SPOILERS
Lord Voldemoo

Postby walterjack on Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:54 pm

The confrontations between Vic and Cavanaugh are amazingly intense.

Especially after Vic had his way with Cavanaugh's ex-wife... (Love Gina Torres)...

The look on Whitaker's face when Cavanaugh asks what Vic did to her when he found out that Mackey had been at his house...

"He made me cum, John. Twice..."

Ashen... it was priceless.

JC
walterjack
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby The Selecter on Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:39 am

While the Vic/Kavanugh confrontations are intense, I enjoyed the Vic/Acevada confrontation scene in the bathroom more.

The Acevada encounters aren't nearly as predictable, and the two have a much more interesting relationship that goes back much longer. They can either play nice, or one or the other may pull out the knife from behind their back. They don't like each other, but they still need each other so neither is willing to let loose despite the contempt. If Vic could eliminate Kavanaugh without repercussions, he'd probably do it right then and there.

People on the main site were predicting Vic's ultimate fate in the talkback. I can wait to do that. First, I'd like to see how Vic's relationships with Shane and Acevada play out first. If Vic ends up getting what he deserves, then I hope Acevada does too, since he's only a few shades lighter than Vic.
The Selecter
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby bigtroyjon on Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:44 am

this show is the best on tv at combining season long storylines with single episode ass kicking. this is the show that lost needs to learn from.

this episode was great, but it is probably the last we see of forest. just incredible to see an actor of his caliber be a main part of a basic cable show

I LOVE THE SHIELD.
bigtroyjon
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby John-Locke on Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:52 pm

Thanks to Canal+ in France getting the show before the US I just had the pleasure of watching episodes 4 & 5 back to back

Although the case of the week for episode 4 (Vic and the Strike team) was confusing as hell (something about revolutionary 9ers) and in episode 5 (Dutch & Billings) it was simply cliche (I solved it way before they did) they were still some pretty entertaining episodes, not the best the Shield has to offer but still pretty damn good.

The show doesn't feel as good with Kavanaugh out of the picture but it's going somewhere, Ronnie is finally getting more to do as seen in episode 3, Vic & Shane are going through the usual motions with dramatic effect (look out for a brilliant bit of acting from Chiklis at the end of Episode 4) and all the other storylines and relationships are bubbling away in the background, Billings is even finally starting to come good.

Look out for a neat little side story in episode 5 with Carl Weathers and Chiklis teaming up for a little job.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby The Selecter on Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:37 am

The show was bound to cool off a bit after the whole Kavanaugh arc transpired. I didn't expect that kind of pressure cooker could be sustained forever.

I suspect the rest of S6 will serve mainly as a setup for the final season. They'll probably resolve whether Vic can resist being shown the door by the brass, but the question of whether Vic discovers Shane's actions will probably remain unanswered until S7. At least I hope it turns out that way.

So Carl Weathers returns? What do Vic and Shane sound like dubbed in French? :lol:
The Selecter
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Quiet Storm on Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:10 am

The langauge is in English. The only thing that sucks is I may be without Internet for awhile and I have to wait 3 weeks for a new episode.
Quiet Storm
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby John-Locke on Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:49 pm

Just watched episodes 6 & 7, I want to talk about it but it's too good to spoil for you suckas who have to wait another 3 or 4 weeks.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby The Selecter on Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:30 am

I'm glad that the anti-Shield ruler of Coax has seen fit to post talkbacks on the main site, but there's a lot of spoiler talk going on. For me, this show is too good to have spoiled, so I've decided not to go there.

6 is only a couple weeks away, and after waiting over a year for them to finally show S6, I'm in no hurry to rush through them.
The Selecter
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby The Selecter on Wed May 02, 2007 5:34 am

Well, after tonight, I've seen parts of Shane that I never needed or wanted to see.
The Selecter
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby John-Locke on Fri May 11, 2007 9:44 am

WOW!

Season 7 is going to be awesome, another great season finale.

Sucks that you guys have to wait so long for it.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby The Selecter on Fri May 11, 2007 12:46 pm

Actually, what will suck is waiting for Season 7 to begin, something you will have to wait for, too.
The Selecter
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby John-Locke on Fri May 11, 2007 12:55 pm

It sucks because I want to talk about it and I can't because I don't want to ruin it for you.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby The Selecter on Sat May 12, 2007 4:43 am

John-Locke wrote:It sucks because I want to talk about it and I can't because I don't want to ruin it for you.

That is appreciated. However, this topic is also marked spoiler, so it's well within bounds to talk about it if you wish to. The TB's on the main site also have spoilerish discussion.

I think I'll just lay low for the next four weeks for my own sake.
The Selecter
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby The Selecter on Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:37 am

All this talk about the Sopranos' ending has me thinking about how the Shield might end.

I wouldn't have a problem if Ryan chose to end it ambiguously as well, but since Chase has done that already, now he's gonna have to spill some blood. :)

Vic and the Strike Team being taken down would be too predictable and easy. OTOH, if he gets away relatively unscathed, it would violate the unwritten rule where every action on this show demands consequences.

Shooting begins next week 8)
The Selecter
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby wonkabar on Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:05 am

I betcha The Shield has a very similar ending to The Sopranos'

Kinda "business as usual" yet with an ambiguous sense of impending doom....which itself is business as usual.

We've seen Vic & co. get in and out of so many tight spots, that I doubt it will end with Vic "finally getting this or that" but rather, it'll just end.
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby Doc Holliday on Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:07 am

I finished watching Season 3 last night (yeah, I know, I know - JohnnyComeLatelyILASH etc etc). I thought it was not quite up there with Season One but better than Season Two.

God knows when the Season 4 DVD will get its UK release date, but it will be good to see Vic back amongst the gangs. Season 3 finished the most open-ended of the 3 that I've watched and also the darkest. I love that and am already chomping at the bit for more....

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ONeillSG1 on Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:35 am

Doc Holliday wrote:I finished watching Season 3 last night (yeah, I know, I know - JohnnyComeLatelyILASH etc etc). I thought it was not quite up there with Season One but better than Season Two.

God knows when the Season 4 DVD will get its UK release date, but it will be good to see Vic back amongst the gangs. Season 3 finished the most open-ended of the 3 that I've watched and also the darkest. I love that and am already chomping at the bit for more....

Welcome to the Barn, rookie.

Your desk is in the corner.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby Doc Holliday on Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:50 am

ONeillSG1 wrote:
Doc Holliday wrote:I finished watching Season 3 last night (yeah, I know, I know - JohnnyComeLatelyILASH etc etc). I thought it was not quite up there with Season One but better than Season Two.

That kind of "workplace bullying" could drive a man to kill a cat...

:P

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ONeillSG1 on Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:20 am

Doc Holliday wrote:
ONeillSG1 wrote:

That kind of "workplace bullying" could drive a man to kill a cat...

:P

I forgot about that episode. God Dutch is insane. I love it.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby The Selecter on Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:09 am

IMO Season 4 is probably third best, after S5 and S1. Some dislike it, because it's a little different than the others in that it focuses more on Vic and Captain Rawlings, so the other characters recede into the background a bit.

To me, it wasn't an unwelcome change; more typical Strike Team antics would have started to grown wearying. Instead, it swung Vic's karma meter a little bit back toward the good side, and fully ushers in the show's shift to the internal dynamics of the Strike Team that reaches new heights in S5. Glenn Close and Anthony Anderson give fantastic performances.
The Selecter
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Doc Holliday on Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:32 am

The Selecter wrote:

IMO Season 4 is probably third best, after S5 and S1. Some dislike it, because it's a little different than the others in that it focuses more on Vic and Captain Rawlings, so the other characters recede into the background a bit.

To me, it wasn't an unwelcome change; more typical Strike Team antics would have started to grown wearying. Instead, it swung Vic's karma meter a little bit back toward the good side, and fully ushers in the show's shift to the internal dynamics of the Strike Team that reaches new heights in S5. Glenn Close and Anthony Anderson give fantastic performances.

NICE! Thanks Selecter - I like the sound of S4 from what you've described. S3 seemed to tie up a whole bunch of storyline (I wonder if after S1 it was commissioned for 2 more seasons initially) so I figured S4 would represent something new/different. Good to hear that THE SHIELD pulled it off for the better too - so many series lose their way after the 2nd or 3rd season.

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby wharto on Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:43 am

Anybody have any idea how I can find out when series is five is released in the UK?
Suck My Balls!
wharto
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby The Selecter on Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:07 pm

Dammit. I can't wait until 2008.

Chiklis talks about the final season (beware of spoilerish talk):

http://community.tvguide.com/blog/TVGuide-Editors-Blog/Ausiello-Report/700000049

FX sounds like they're being cool, but I hope the strike ends in time to allow Ryan to give his baby a proper farewell.

One spoiler -- the cat's friends come back to exact revenge on Dutch.

Just kidding.
The Selecter
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:10 pm

I am working through this show right now. I am in Season 4 now and am loving it so far.

I will read the rest of this thread when I finish, which will probably be in the next week or 2 max.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

PreviousNext

Return to Coaxial