Do you think Boston Legal is as good as The Practice?

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

Yes.
6%
No.
31%
Practice who? Denny Crane baby!!
50%
100% Kong
13%

Total votes : 16

Postby Neo Zeed on Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:10 am

I used to love the Practice when it was on TV. However like many, I lost touch when the cast got bloated and the storylines had to compensate. I returned full time when James Spader and Rhona Mitra came on the last season. James as Alan Shore is simply fantastic and when I heard he was getting his own show, after The Practice's cancellation, I was thrilled.

But the problem I find, is that besides Spader and Shatner, the rest of the cast are just.... filler (I think Candace is ok and Rene' hasn't much to do...the other guys???). I think they made a big mistake letting Rhona Mitra and Lake Bell go after season one. (Especially Rhona Mitra!) These new young lawyers seem one note and boring. Did they really need new people anyway? It's basically the Shore and Denny Crane show anyway!

However, all of The Practice's actors (Bobby, Eugene, Elenor, etc.) could bring the intensity, hold their own solo, and as an ensemble. Also, BL's stories are also mostly played for laughs. I know David E. Kelley is the master of wacky courtroom antics, but without The Practice's serious dramatic arcs, I kinda forget to tune in to Boston Legal.

I still like the show, but I know a lot of people forgot about The Practice... as if it was just a prequel to the greatness that is Alan Shore. But as it is now, I rank the Practice above Boston Legal. What do you guys think?
Last edited by Neo Zeed on Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Neo Zeed
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Ribbons on Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:25 am

"The Practice" got pretty sucky near the end there, but I dig on the old school stuff. I would watch it every Sunday on Fox at like one o'clock in the morning. That was indeed a strong ensemble cast that could handle their own. Oftentimes the main characters didn't always win, and sometimes when they did, they didn't want to. I've only seen the odd episode of "The Practice" and "Boston Legal" with Spader and Shatner in there, and they're both good, especially Spader, but it hasn't really been my cup of tea. Even though my opinion on the matter's not totally informed, I'm gonna have to vote Practice.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby The Ginger Man on Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:29 am

Gotta go with Boston Legal. I can't really give a critical, descriptive reason. I just like BL more. I'm more interested in watching Spader and Shatner chew scenery each week than I was in anyone on Practice.
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Postby Ribbons on Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:34 am

What this thread really needs, is a poll. With 100% more Kong.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby ONeillSG1 on Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:38 am

It's very simple: BL has Dr. Daniel Jackson AND James Tiberius Kirk. Add Amanda Woodward and Murphy Brown and that's a f'n show!!

AD: Boston Legal.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby Neo Zeed on Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:46 am

Ribbons wrote:What this thread really needs, is a poll. With 100% more Kong.

There ya go homeboy!
Neo Zeed
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby RogueScribner on Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:47 am

Well, I never watched The Practice, so I guess my vote is for Boston Legal!
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Ribbons on Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:50 am

Neo Zeed wrote:There ya go homeboy!

Gracias señor.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Ensign9 on Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:15 am

All of Kelley's shows are good in their first season or so, but they inevitably end up becoming pathetic parodies of themselves.
Ensign9
GLIB

Postby Crayotic Rockwell on Mon Dec 26, 2005 5:48 pm

Boston Legal beats middle-run Practice easily, and isn't as anywhere as good as early-run Practice, altho you can't really compare those beasts

However, Alan Shore is waaaay less impressive on Boston Legal (especially this second season) as he was in the last run of The Practice. For some reason he's lost all his edge and has just turned into David E Kelly's mouthpiece for whatever liberal, tree hugging monologue he wants to spout this week. And if we're lucky, he'll say something quirky as an aside.

The Practice also used to actually make the case seem important and do some interesting fact-finding and other judicial stuff during.. Boston Legal has a tendancy to just rush through everything and then deliver a 5 minute closing to win the game

and true.. everyone is pretty much jobbers to Alan and Denny.. and Schmit somewhat.. Losing Monica Potter was a shame.. not that they did much with her.. Alan's assistent is kinda interesting, but yeh.. who really cares about the other attorneys

I don't mind the show, it could just be far better than it is, currently
The Anime Stock Exchange for all your anime tripe
Crayotic Rockwell
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby The Ginger Man on Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:41 am

I'm a big fan of this show. Catch it every it's on. Need that Shatner fix. But I kinda feel this season is a little weak. It's been very dependent on the same guest stars for its plots. Would like to see it branch out a bit more.
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Postby wonkabar on Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:59 am

Watching (listening) to it right now....great chemistry between Shatner & Spader
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Return to Coaxial